PDA

View Full Version : Will Coleman

msstate7
01-14-2015, 08:14 AM
I can't remember reading anything about him. What do we have in him? Do we expect quality mins from him this season?

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Imo Ryan Brown and AJ Jefferson are the guys. We need 2 more guys to step up as viable options. Will Coleman is one of those that will push to start.

MetEdDawg
01-14-2015, 08:42 AM
I will be concerned about the DE position a little bit more if Coleman isn't able to step up and be productive in some situations. Brown and Jefferson are clearly the guys at DE. But who is behind them? I'm sure Adams and CJ will line up there occassionally, but we need Coleman and Calvin to at least come in and push for reps.

The DL is probably the area we can least afford to have injuries. Once you get past the starting guys, there are almost zero minutes played in an actual game by the backups. That's a bit concerning. Need some folks like Thomas/Harris, Calvin/Coleman, and maybe even a freshman like Adams to come in and work like hell to get ready.

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm feeling the same MetEnd. I think you're dead on that its Brown/Jefferson and then Coleman/Calvin. Then hopefully Grant Harris takes the next step along with Torrey Dale. That's a solid group with the only question being experienced depth. I think Nelson Adams and Chris Jones need to settle in at DT full-time.

msstate7
01-14-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm feeling the same MetEnd. I think you're dead on that its Brown/Jefferson and then Coleman/Calvin. Then hopefully Grant Harris takes the next step along with Torrey Dale. That's a solid group with the only question being experienced depth. I think Nelson Adams and Chris Jones need to settle in at DT full-time.

Harris will be outside?

mic
01-14-2015, 08:56 AM
i would love to see us move Dez Harris to DE. If it's a position he can play . He has the size
6'5 about 245 to be a rush DE
The LB position is pretty crowded and talented. 3rd down rush DE could Be a good way to get Dez on the field more..

thedawg
01-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I dont think its ever gonna happen for Torrey Dale

MetEdDawg
01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Just to clarify any confusion, I'm talking about Grant Harris, not Dez Harris. I can't imagine we would move Dez Harris to DE, and I think Grant Harris could play both DE and DT potentially like Nelson in certain situations.

My guess is that Adams will push for DT reps, so that give us CJ, Nick James, Nelson Adams, Cory Thomas, Braxton Hoyett, Grant Harris and Adams at DT. I've got to think somebody in that group will play some DE this year since both positions are lacking in experienced depth.

BeastMan
01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Harris will be outside?

Yep. He's only about 265 and is in good shape. Unless something changes, he's s DE in the fall

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
DL is the single biggest concern I have about next year's team because it's so critical. I feel like Diaz can improve the schemes and secondary, but we've got to keep people from just running it down our throat.

If our defensive line plays well next year, I believe that's a precursor to our defense taking a step forward, and, if that happens, we will be competing for the playoffs.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Just to clarify any confusion, I'm talking about Grant Harris, not Dez Harris. I can't imagine we would move Dez Harris to DE, and I think Grant Harris could play both DE and DT potentially like Nelson in certain situations.

My guess is that Adams will push for DT reps, so that give us CJ, Nick James, Nelson Adams, Cory Thomas, Braxton Hoyett, Grant Harris and Adams at DT. I've got to think somebody in that group will play some DE this year since both positions are lacking in experienced depth.

That would be interesting about Grant Harris - I didn't think he had SEC speed at DE, thought he could potentially turn into a Eulls type at DT.

I agree about the DE issue, I like Jefferson and I think Brown has potential, but we have very little proven depth there. I wish Jones could drop about 25 lbs and be a Reggie White type DE, if he can't he should still be disruptive at DT.

mic
01-14-2015, 10:15 AM
U
That would be interesting about Grant Harris - I didn't think he had SEC speed at DE, thought he could potentially turn into a Eulls type at DT.

I agree about the DE issue, I like Jefferson and I think Brown has potential, but we have very little proven depth there. I wish Jones could drop about 25 lbs and be a Reggie White type DE, if he can't he should still be disruptive at DT.

The sooner Chris realizes he is a DT the better.. If he wants to be a 1st rounder next year and play at the next level.
I'm hoping Manny uses or depth at LB to make up for our possible lack of depth at the DE position. Would love to see some of our big LB's being used as stand up rush DE .. ( Green, Harris) both big enough to line up against tackles and bring that speed rush DE. I'm not saying move them there .. But in some 3rd down passing situations ..

MetEdDawg
01-14-2015, 10:29 AM
U

The sooner Chris realizes he is a DT the better.. If he wants to be a 1st rounder next year and play at the next level.
I'm hoping Manny uses or depth at LB to make up for our possible lack of depth at the DE position. Would love to see some of our big LB's being used as stand up rush DE .. ( Green, Harris) both big enough to line up against tackles and bring that speed rush DE. I'm not saying move them there .. But in some 3rd down passing situations ..

We've never done that terribly well in obvious passing situations and I think this kinda hits on that. We always have seemed to have a 3-4 mindset in a 4-3 defense. Plug holes, let LBs make plays. We are big up front, but I think sometimes we are too big in these situations. Not enough of a speed rush.

I think like you said having a guy like Green line up on the edge or a Richie Brown and go get the QB would help some in these obvious passing situations because we don't move the QB from his spot enough on 3rd down passes or obvious passing downs in general. We've got to mix some speed rush in there to move QBs around.

maroonmania
01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I will be concerned about the DE position a little bit more if Coleman isn't able to step up and be productive in some situations. Brown and Jefferson are clearly the guys at DE. But who is behind them? I'm sure Adams and CJ will line up there occassionally, but we need Coleman and Calvin to at least come in and push for reps.

The DL is probably the area we can least afford to have injuries. Once you get past the starting guys, there are almost zero minutes played in an actual game by the backups. That's a bit concerning. Need some folks like Thomas/Harris, Calvin/Coleman, and maybe even a freshman like Adams to come in and work like hell to get ready.

My word, Coleman is a JUCO with a year already put into our system. If we don't get pretty good production from him this coming season then we made a big mistake on a total waste of a scholarship with him. You shouldn't be signing JUCOs if you don't think they can contribute significantly, especially ones that have already been on campus for a year.

engie
01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
U

In watching the bowl game closely last night, Diaz's DEs very, very rarely actually put their hands down. Basically only when they lined up in a 3-3-5...

HoopsDawg
01-14-2015, 10:50 AM
My word, Coleman is a JUCO with a year already put into our system. If we don't get pretty good production from him this coming season then we made a big mistake on a total waste of a scholarship with him. You shouldn't be signing JUCOs if you don't think they can contribute significantly, especially ones that have already been on campus for a year.

Coleman wouldn't have helped us much this past year so it was probably a blessing that he redshirted. He has a decent burst off the LOS and a good wingspan but he had to get a lot stronger in the weight room. The word is he has put in the work and gotten stronger. I think the only DE's you will see this year are Ryan Brown, AJ Jefferson, Calvin and then Coleman.

mic
01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
In watching the bowl game closely last night, Diaz's DEs very, very rarely actually put their hands down. Basically only when they lined up in a 3-3-5...

Yeah that's what U hope we do.. I expect lots of different looks and guys lined up all over letting best players make plays..

smootness
01-14-2015, 12:14 PM
I think because of Harris' size in high school, we all expected him to blow up some like pretty much everyone does when they get to college. But Harris actually slimmed down and still got stronger. He definitely has a DE body now, where Thomas is fully a DT.

Bothrops
01-14-2015, 12:43 PM
DL play was disappointing during the last half of the season. I know most of those guys are gone now, but I think this group is going to be a work in progress next season. CJ needs to lose 30 pounds, and I doubt James can be relied on to play much more in the rotation. I think it's a wind issue with him, and he may not can help it much at his size. That's just from my observation. So you have Nelson- who's solid, left along with the fresh fish at DT, and 2 to 3 solid DE guys. This won't be our star group next season, but I think they will be improved because of pressure and new synergistic type approach from Manny.

maroonmania
01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
DL play was disappointing during the last half of the season. I know most of those guys are gone now, but I think this group is going to be a work in progress next season. CJ needs to lose 30 pounds, and I doubt James can be relied on to play much more in the rotation. I think it's a wind issue with him, and he may not can help it much at his size. That's just from my observation. So you have Nelson- who's solid, left along with the fresh fish at DT, and 2 to 3 solid DE guys. This won't be our star group next season, but I think they will be improved because of pressure and new synergistic type approach from Manny.

Yep, I lost a lot of confidence in Turner the last part of the season. Hopefully he can get the young guys going for this coming season but I would not have been upset if Turner had left. To have THAT much talent and experience along our DL we played terribly up front the last month of the season.

HoopsDawg
01-14-2015, 02:32 PM

CJ does not need to lose 30 pounds. He needs to play around 305 to 310. He and Adams will start at DT. Nick James will rotate in and definitely play on short yardage situations. Cory Thomas will have to be the other roation guy. We really needed to add 1 Juco DT, but we missed on Swain and Taylor and never had a shot at DJ Jones. That's 3 legit DT's playing Juco football in MS that we couldn't land.

GTHOM
01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
AJ Jefferson and Ryan Brown will give us a decent at worst pass rush off the edges. Both those guys will be in the NFL when theyre done here. If we are going to put anyone down to rush the passer, it needs to be Dez Harris or Gerri Green, those guys are every bit as big as Jefferson and Brown and may be faster. I have high expectations for Green and heard nothing but how good Harris is at practice. Our younger DL guys are going to have to step up, luckily they are all SEC talents

notoriousdog
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Diaz isn't scared to play 2 DL and an assortment of LBs and DBs. In a hypothetical situation like that we could have:

2 DL: Jones, Adams/Jefferson/Brown
5 LB: R Brown, B Brown, D. Harris, Jung, G. Green
4 DB: Calhoun, Redmond, and 2 safeties (let's say Bryant and Peters, for fun).

or go with a 3-4 look

3 DL: R Brown, Jones/James , Jefferson
4 LB: R Brown, B Brown, D. Harris, G. Green/Jung
4 DB: Calhoun, Redmond, Market, and Evans/Coman

LibraryDawg
01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Do any of you know who the former transfer is that is visiting this weekend that Paul is talking about? I do not pay for 247.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-14-2015, 04:32 PM
AJ Jefferson and Ryan Brown will give us a decent at worst pass rush off the edges. Both those guys will be in the NFL when theyre done here. If we are going to put anyone down to rush the passer, it needs to be Dez Harris or Gerri Green, those guys are every bit as big as Jefferson and Brown and may be faster. I have high expectations for Green and heard nothing but how good Harris is at practice. Our younger DL guys are going to have to step up, luckily they are all SEC talents

Jefferson & Brown has 20-30lbs on Harris & Green.

bulldawg28
01-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Do any of you know who the former transfer is that is visiting this weekend that Paul is talking about? I do not pay for 247.

Former Wake Forest- Center

maroonmania
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Former Wake Forest- Center

From what I'm reading though he won't be eligible until the 2016 season.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Didn't Coleman have to redshirt because of a class that didn't transfer or something?

GTHOM
01-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Jefferson & Brown has 20-30lbs on Harris & Green.

haha they dont look like it