PDA

View Full Version : Diaz Defense...

engie
01-13-2015, 07:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2188190/size/condensed/

This is from the bowl game. I'm rewatching now and figured I'd share the link to anyone that wanted to watch it. The pre snap stuff at LB is a thing of beauty...

engie
01-13-2015, 08:48 PM
First play - Illinois in the I, Diaz goes with 2 down linemen and 8 in the box(DEs standing). Corners 5 yards off. Both DEs standing. DL is very wide. LB and SS blitz(not shown pre snap). Brought 6. Run up the middle makes it through the 6 rushers and is brought down by the middle linebacker for a gain of 1. Would have been a big gain had he gotten past that guy as the FS was dropping for over the top help and was 20 yards deep...

Second play - Illinois in single back out of the gun with 2 WR, an attached TE, and an H back. Diaz goes in the same alignment as before. 2 down, 8 in the box. Same LB that blitzed the first play shows it presnap. Backs out. Then shows it again. SS shows it the second time as well. They both come again, so he brought 6. Pass completion for 10 but it was called for picking and negated along with a 15 yard penalty.

3rd play - Illinois goes 4 wide. Diaz shows the WLB in coverage on the slot and the SS in coverage on the TE. FS extremely deep in center field. Naturally 6 in the box and again 2 down. Pre snap, Diaz rotates the SS back to center field, the FS up into coverage of the slot, and the WLB shows blitz(he was coming for sure). Illinois tries to check out of the play and gets a delay of game. Guessing they were going to rotate the MLB over into coverage on the TE had the play happened(they didn't show any coverage on him at all). So, it's 2nd and 29 now.

4th play - Illinois 4 wide again. Diaz shows same coverage as he initially had last play. MLB and SLB show blitz just before the snap. They drop out of it and into coverage. So, for the first time, Diaz only brought 4. Pass complete over the middle for 13.

5th play - Illinois 4 wide, but with 3 guys field side. Diaz shows 3 down this time. FS rotates over to center field on the 3 guys on the field side, putting the boundary corner in obvious pure man. The SLB and SS show blitz on opposite sides of the field and the FS rotates up into man. So, showing pure man outside while showing 6 coming. Backs out of it. Then the MLB shows blitz as well(bringing 7 with corners in pure man). On the snap the SS actually comes, while the SLB backs into run support, and the MLB backs into center field coverage. Sacked by SDE. Punt.

On the first drive, the SLB blitzed three times, the SS blitzed twice. The WLB was coming once. Every non-corner showed blitz besides the FS. It's easy to see why this is so confusing and hard to play against. Also very high risk, high reward for the most part with everyone outside of the DL being in coverage at some point in the drive...

msstate7
01-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm really excited about getting manny back. I think we'll be much improved on defense next season

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm really excited about getting manny back. I think we'll be much improved on defense next season

I can say this with some confidence: With what he have coming back on the offensive side of the ball, IF we are actually better defensively next year than we were this year, we will be in a position to compete for the playoff.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 11:47 PM
I can say this with some confidence: With what he have coming back on the offensive side of the ball, IF we are actually better defensively next year than we were this year, we will be in a position to compete for the playoff.

Yeah, maybe. I'm worried about te and kicker

thf24
01-14-2015, 12:07 AM

TE will be fine. Kicker I can actually see being the Achilles heal many among us thought it would be this past year.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2015, 12:14 AM

There is always something to worry about. I think we'll be good enough at QB and WR that the TE either won't be much of a factor or he'll be wide open.

Kicker is a concern, but, if we can score points like I think we should, that concern is diminished. The more points you score, the less FGs decide games.

We really only need a guy to hit FG from 35 and in. Our offense doesn't bog down much outside the rezone.

DawgInMemphis
01-14-2015, 11:00 AM
On the first drive, the SLB blitzed three times, the SS blitzed twice. The WLB was coming once. Every non-corner showed blitz besides the FS. It's easy to see why this is so confusing and hard to play against. Also very high risk, high reward for the most part with everyone outside of the DL being in coverage at some point in the drive...

With an offense that will score points, I like high risk/high reward.

engie
01-14-2015, 11:13 AM
The thing is, that while he goes high risk to create negative plays at the line of scrimmage -- he almost always keeps a very deep safety. I mean starting 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and dropping. As such, that center fielder actually prevents huge plays. For instance:

MSU gave up 191 plays of 10 yards or more(89th)
La Tech gave up 204(110th)

Nervous? Don't be. This is what I mean by the FS being in deep center field, and it'll become clear...

MSU gave up 64 plays of 20 yards or more(91st)
La Tech gave up 59(74th)

MSU gave up 33 plays of 30 yards or more(103rd)
La Tech gave up 22(34th)

MSU gave up 20 plays of 40 yards or more(104th)
La Tech gave up 8(13th)

MSU gave up 11 plays of 50 yards or more(104th)
La Tech gave up 4(18th)

MSU gave up 7 plays of 60 yards or more(112th)
La Tech was one of only 4 schools that did not give up a play of 60+ yards all season

engie
01-14-2015, 11:15 AM
He relies very, very heavily on creating pressure and will bring however many necessary to do it at times. He also relies heavily on DBs for tackling, particular safeties....

I'm more nervous about the FS position after watching how he called that game than I was prior to it starting. Also worried about Wells' position....

thunderclap
01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
The thing is, that while he goes high risk to create negative plays at the line of scrimmage -- he almost always keeps a very deep safety. I mean starting 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and dropping. As such, that center fielder actually prevents huge plays. For instance:

MSU gave up 191 plays of 10 yards or more(89th)
La Tech gave up 204(110th)

Nervous? Don't be. This is what I mean by the FS being in deep center field, and it'll become clear...

MSU gave up 64 plays of 20 yards or more(91st)
La Tech gave up 59(74th)

MSU gave up 33 plays of 30 yards or more(103rd)
La Tech gave up 22(34th)

MSU gave up 20 plays of 40 yards or more(104th)
La Tech gave up 8(13th)

MSU gave up 11 plays of 50 yards or more(104th)
La Tech gave up 4(18th)

MSU gave up 7 plays of 60 yards or more(112th)
La Tech was one of only 4 schools that did not give up a play of 60+ yards all season

A deep safety damn sure changes the OM game.

mic
01-14-2015, 11:17 AM

If all we have to worry about is TE and kicker I will take it all day long..

OL.. will be more talented not saying they will be better but they should
QB... One word Dak
RB.. Will be good. Just have to see how good AW and Lee are . Shump will be fine
WR... As deep and talented as ever
DL.. first four will be very good if depth is there we will won't fall off much if any
LB .. Very good and very deep
CB..Redmond Calhoun Jiles. One NFL guy and 2 very solid SEC guys. Need one other Cb to step up or a frosh to push for playing time
S.. Should be better. Peters should be good as advertised. Hopefully Market is ready to go and Hopefully Cleveland moving to S will pay off..

GTHOM
01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
I just hope Mullen lets him do his thing

quickstrike2
01-14-2015, 04:02 PM
I have confidence in Manny. The only thing that worries me is that we had some really good talent on his one defense here, and we only got to see him coach that one year. He did seem to blitz a lot.

Jack Lambert
01-15-2015, 09:14 AM

I would rather be worried about a Kicker at this point than being Ole Miss worried about a QB.

archdog
01-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Way different from what we were doing last year. Our blitzes where late to the party and we still gave up huge plays downfield to every qb i the nation.

engie
01-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I dunno if it happens for everyone else, but if I follow the direct link I posted, it shows the game without the ability to fast forward through the LA Tech offensive drives...Try going this way instead if you can't(game is on 12-26)...

I loved how on the first drive Diaz sent the house from every direction to try to rattle the QB...

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/sport/football/days/days-30/

TrapGame
01-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Way different from what we were doing last year. Our blitzes where late to the party and we still gave up huge plays downfield to every qb i the nation.

Maybe it's me but it seemed Collins got figured out and was too slow to adjust. Opposing offenses were picking up when and where the blitzes were coming.