PDA

View Full Version : Ray's job according to stricklin

msstate7
01-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I know what the board wants, but Scott has the final say. What do you think ray has to do to save his job from Scott's perspective?

maroonmania
01-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I personally would think he needs to win at least 5 to 6 conference games to even be in the discussion of keeping his job. And that still only puts us at the 12-13 win total. Color me shocked if we win more than 2 conference games at this point and I could easily see us going winless in the SEC.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 01:56 PM
0-18 or 1-17 is going to force it. The natives are already restless- Keenum is already getting heat from certain people. It will be a lot hotter by March

msstate7
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
I personally would think he needs to win at least 5 to 6 conference games to even be in the discussion of keeping his job. And that still only puts us at the 12-13 win total. Color me shocked if we win more than 2 conference games at this point and I could easily see us going winless in the SEC.

I agree.

I hope Scott requires at least 5-6 sec wins and for there to be some actual interest in the program. If I'm Scott, ray has to find a way to get the attendance up at the hump. Attendance may be just as much of a death blow as much as the loss count for ray.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
I know what the board wants, but Scott has the final say. What do you think ray has to do to save his job from Scott's perspective?

5 or more conference wins to have any shot.

engie
01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
7 SEC wins to have a decent shot of holding on...

Remember -- it's an 18 game conference schedule now

maroonmania
01-13-2015, 02:02 PM
0-18 or 1-17 is going to force it. The natives are already restless- Keenum is already getting heat from certain people. It will be a lot hotter by March

Its still going to be lava hot at 2 or 3 wins.

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Final 4

Westdawg
01-13-2015, 02:18 PM
make a run in the SEC tourney and punch a ticket to the dance as a 16 seed because of it.....that is about the only foreseeable way at this point. I am never for firing anyone, but....this thing went from a dumpster fire to a steaming pile in a short amount of time....................

Acid mouth
01-13-2015, 02:31 PM
I think Ray has to win 8 conference games and show vast improvement in the remaining games. The last head coach was let go for "not meeting the expectations that he previously set". Well that's fine and dandy. Ray has taken these expectations and drastically lowered them every year. This is Ray's best team, most experienced, and most players are from the previous coach.

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 02:35 PM
I think Scott is fighting his pride. I do think he will look for anyway to keep Ray, mainly cause it was his baby and he probably has an agreement for another year. Ray will make it very tough for Scott though, this team will show up for games, but very little "basketball" will be played. I think the pressure will get too much for Scott though, and the hand will be forced.

Acid mouth
01-13-2015, 02:40 PM
So according to Scott's expectations (unless he has changed them), Ray is nowhere close to meeting our basketball standards.

DLGDawg
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM
That's what I was thinging starkvegas. Win the SEC tourney and go deep in the big dance.

Final 4

hells bells
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
That's what I was thinging starkvegas. Win the SEC tourney and go deep in the big dance.

Depending on your current job or career if you had the record of very limited success what are the chances you keep your position? Color me stupid, but this is ridiculous.

DLGDawg
01-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Yep...for me....for him to keep his job...that's what he would have to do. Which aint hapnin' Lol.
And yes, put me in the corner that wants him fired.

Depending on your current job or career if you had the record of very limited success what are the chances you keep your position? Color me stupid, but this is ridiculous.

jumbo
01-13-2015, 03:10 PM
6-7 conference wins AND malik newman

msstate7
01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

I think if he gets malik that ray will keep job regardless. He just isn't going to get malik unless there's some monumental improvement imo

Liverpooldawg
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
An overall winning record.

Homedawg
01-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Malik won't sign until 3-4 weeks after our season is over. If we are canning him, you can't wait. At this point I can't see Newman even thinking about signing here..... Anyway, we can't win 6 games so I guess the point about Malik is moot.

Dawg61
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
I've seen enough. He's fired. Waiting any longer hurts us by the day on our next hire. Stop the bleeding already.

HailState39110
01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
7 or more wins I would bring him back

5 or less I would let him go .

If he won 6 I would have to look at other things such as non conference, SEC tournament play, and how we looked in our losses.

If we wouldnt get blown out by every team we lose to and only lose by a couple of points that would help sway my decision but getting ass raped 15-20 times this year it's hard to gauge that as improvement

SouthMsDawg
01-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Lets face it we are a very bad basketball team. Can't win on the road (30 straight road losses for Ray)

Last in the SEC in scoring
Last in the SEC in Assists
Last in the SEC in 3pt fg%

We can't shoot, cant pass and can't score.

I think Ray is as good as fired now and the only way i see him staying is if he goes 8-8 in our last 16 games, and with an improved SEC I just don't see that happening.

Dawg61
01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Woah we really have 30 straight road losses? Man every day there's a new stat of unspeakable futility that shows up from Ray's tenure. ****ING FIRE HIM ALREADY!!!!

SouthMsDawg
01-13-2015, 04:09 PM
He's 0-19 in the SEC on the Road going into tonight's game throw in Tulane, Oregon State, this year and a couple others in his first and second years its at 30.

hells bells
01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Woah we really have 30 straight road losses? Man every day there's a new stat of unspeakable futility that shows up from Ray's tenure. ****ING FIRE HIM ALREADY!!!!

Agree, it always get's worse with each passing day. Why not get Richard Williams back? He has taken the program from the crapper to The Final Four. He made a mistake yes, but let bygones be bygones.

engie
01-13-2015, 04:44 PM
21 straight road losses**

And he's actually 1-18 on the road in the SEC**

Goat from MSU
01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
I do not care if is 1-18 ,0-30 or 0-21 ,that equals too he needs to be gone like today , now , this very hour. Engie just adding some humor to this dumpster fire.
21 straight road losses**

And he's actually 1-18 on the road in the SEC**

engie
01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
I do not care if is 1-18 ,0-30 or 0-21 ,that equals too he needs to be gone like today , now , this very hour. Engie just adding some humor to this dumpster fire.

On-court futility isn't a good enough reason to justify a midseason firing. Not unless the "next" coach is available to actually be hired in the middle of the season. No need to fire prior to going through the early stages of a coaching search and assessing candidates and interest out there...

Goat from MSU
01-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Engie I am joking about firing now ,end of season fine with me . Question is will it happen or is one more year . Question 2 is our AD lining someone up or is a like before? Me I be calling someone like the Bucknell coach (Dave Paulsen) .

archdog
01-13-2015, 07:27 PM

I was under the impression that every time we discuss this issue it is from Scott's perspective.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I was under the impression that every time we discuss this issue it is from Scott's perspective.

No, I think everyone says what they'd do if they were Scott. I was wondering what Scott actually thinks and will require from ray to be back

engie
01-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Engie I am joking about firing now ,end of season fine with me . Question is will it happen or is one more year . Question 2 is our AD lining someone up or is a like before? Me I be calling someone like the Bucknell coach (Dave Paulsen).

I think Strick is gauging interest right now and figuring out what kind of $$ figure he is going to have to dangle...

Several here can give you Stans' account of what actually happened(most likely directly from him -- I know Geezer said Stans called him and was stepping down and that actually broke the story if memory serves correctly). I don't really think Strick was planning to have a coaching search last time and thus the explanation of why he was woefully unprepared when the decision came down. I think Stans was given a laundry list of ultimatums, some of which he simply couldn't/wouldn't agree to, and he walked and left us scrambling. I know it's common perception that he was "fired" -- but the people I trust most on the topic have generally told me he had the option of coming back along with some major forced changes...

Paulsen would be a pretty good hire, but there are a few logical options that I like more. He has some great years, but too many bad years mixed in IMO...

shannondawg
01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
What CDL told you is exactly how it happened, I was privy to the same information. Sticklin was caught off guard, and hence this fire storm. An experienced ad would have had a short list in view of the situation that unfolded during the season.

I think Strick is gauging interest right now and figuring out what kind of $$ figure he is going to have to dangle...

Several here can give you Stans' account of what actually happened(most likely directly from him -- I know Geezer said Stans called him and was stepping down and that actually broke the story if memory serves correctly). I don't really think Strick was planning to have a coaching search last time and thus the explanation of why he was woefully unprepared when the decision came down. I think Stans was given a laundry list of ultimatums, some of which he simply couldn't/wouldn't agree to, and he walked and left us scrambling. I know it's common perception that he was "fired" -- but the people I trust most on the topic have generally told me he had the option of coming back along with some major forced changes...

Paulsen would be a pretty good hire, but there are a few logical options that I like more. He has some great years, but too many bad years mixed in IMO...