PDA

View Full Version : Vegas has us at 25/1 odds to win Title in 2015...

CadaverDawg
01-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Yet no "early" polls have us in the Top 25. Shows that the media should be taken with a grain of salt.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Yet no "early" polls have us in the Top 25. Shows that the media should be taken with a grain of salt.

Agree, but it does hurt us because we don't get offseason publicity. Ole Miss is 33/1 but is ranked high. It's brutal

maroonmania
01-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Agree, but it does hurt us because we don't get offseason publicity. Ole Miss is 33/1 but is ranked high. It's brutal

Haven't looked at many pre-season polls but don't understand how OM is ranked high when the most important position on the field (QB) is a total unknown for them right now. If Dak left I would expect our expectations to take a dive for next year.

PMDawg
01-13-2015, 12:40 PM
i saw one last week that had us around 16. don't remember which one it was though.

codeDawg
01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure the media should even be called "the media" at this point. Sports journalism is simply entertainment writing today. Writers and analysts are rewarded for pandering to audiences instead of reporting objective viewpoints and opinions. Fan sites and beat writer's opinion pieces dominate the local media.

There's really no way to change it either. Sports ARE entertainment, and the places providing coverage are for profit businesses doing what people pay to read.

Danny Kanell is a prime example. One day he throws out the opinion that the SEC is overrated, so the general public gravitates to his work. ESPN sees he has an anti-SEC audience, and puts him out front. Kanell's only claim-to-fame is his opinion that the SEC was overrated, and BTW that FSU was the best team in CFB.

David Pollack also started the playoffs by saying that he was glad that all the teams in the playoffs were "brand name" teams and that they didn't have some of the match ups they thought would be disappointed to see. He said that out loud on national TV.

Now, I don't blame him, or anyone else for knowing their audience, but it's ridiculous to think that anyone in "the media" has any uncolored, objective opinions at this point.

HancockCountyDog
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM

This should be confirmation that Dak is definitely coming back.

sleepy dawg
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Why the f*ck are there even polls out right now? They are ridiculous to be out before the season at all, but the day after the season ends? Give me a break. The media doesn't really know shit, and neither do any of us. Way too much is going to happen b/w now and then for every school.

smootness
01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Two thoughts:

1) The Vegas odds are no more legitimate than the media rankings. It means nothing except that they believe people will put more money on us due to our success this year.

2) I could not care less if nobody ranks us. That is partly what led to us stomping people early this year. We had a chip on our shoulder.