PDA

View Full Version : Last night proved it again

msstate7
01-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Championships are won at the LOS, not at the skill positions. Oregon still doesn't understand this and until they do they won't win one

Political Hack
01-13-2015, 08:35 AM
college championships are won by great head coaches. With the exception of Chizik, nearly every recent championship was won by a great head coach.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 08:37 AM
college championships are won by great head coaches. With the exception of Chizik, nearly every recent championship was won by a great head coach.

Great college coaches build inside out, not the other way.

Dawg61
01-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Championships are won at the LOS, not at the skill positions. Oregon still doesn't understand this and until they do they won't win one

This is true on defense for Oregon but I think losing the two WR severely limited Oregon's offense. They were not gashing the defense vertically hardly at all.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 08:44 AM
This is true on defense for Oregon but I think losing the two WR severely limited Oregon's offense. They were not gashing the defense vertically hardly at all.

Maybe. Ohio state was without the last 3 big 10 POYs (miller with 2 and Barrett this year) though

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Maybe. Ohio state was without the last 3 big 10 POYs (miller with 2 and Barrett this year) though

That is true. We need to remember that they just won the national title with their 3rd string QB. Not many teams would be able to do that. Yes, they played a joke of a schedule this season but when they got their chance at the big prize and took who they had available and won it.

Dawg61
01-13-2015, 08:58 AM

Blessing in disguise because the 3rd string QB is the best of the three. They don't win it with Miller or Barrett imo.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
That is true. We need to remember that they just won the national title with their 3rd string QB. Not many teams would be able to do that. Yes, they played a joke of a schedule this season but when they got their chance at the big prize and took who they had available and won it.

And really dominated the playoffs. Neither game was as close as the score would indicate imo. Rushing totals...

Vs bama -- 281
Vs oregon -- 296

CadaverDawg
01-13-2015, 09:07 AM
You're right about games being won at the LOS. That being said, it never hurts to have an Ezekial Elliot either. Dude has been a monster in the playoffs. Fun to watch

Coach34
01-13-2015, 09:10 AM
I told my buddies- if they can block Bama- they can damn sure block Oregon

you have to #RTGDF- that's the bottom line

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Not to mention the best third string qb in college football history.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 10:07 AM
That 3rd string QB is 4-star, 3rd yr QB that is 6'5-250

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't think that Ohio State wins without Jones. Jones was like watch Cam Newton in college again. Need 3-5 yards on 3rd down, just run Jones and he will at the minimum get two yards before a hit then bounce off the initial hit, roll, and fall and pick up the extra 3 doing doing all. The other two qbs would not have been able to do that, really only Cam seemed to be able to. Relf did it for us for a little while. Then Jones could throw if pretty effectively, the deep balls against Bama were a thing of beauty.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't think that Ohio State wins without Jones. Jones was like watch Cam Newton in college again. Need 3-5 yards on 3rd down, just run Jones and he will at the minimum get two yards before a hit then bounce off the initial hit, roll, and fall and pick up the extra 3 doing doing all. The other two qbs would not have been able to do that, really only Cam seemed to be able to. Relf did it for us for a little while. Then Jones could throw if pretty effectively, the deep balls against Bama were a thing of beauty.

You didn't watch much of jt Barrett this year did you?

RougeDawg
01-13-2015, 10:56 AM
When jones trucked that 315 LB NG last night, I was speechless. He almost knocked him completely on his back and just kept going.

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 10:59 AM
You didn't watch much of jt Barrett this year did you?

I did not. I might have misspoke, but I still value seeing Jones do it over Alabama more than anyone in the Big 10.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 11:08 AM
I did not. I might have misspoke, but I still value seeing Jones do it over Alabama more than anyone in the Big 10.

Barrett's 6'1" 225 so he's smaller, but very tough to tackle and can run you over. Passing -- there's really no comparison to me. Barrett is a very good passer

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Barrett's 6'1" 225 so he's smaller, but very tough to tackle and can run you over. Passing -- there's really no comparison to me. Barrett is a very good passer

Yeah, I don't doubt it. Elliot took all the pressure off Jones for the most part with his gashing of both Bama, and Oregon. Oregon couldn't touch him. The deep passes Jones threw against Bama were just meant to be.

dawgs
01-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Those 2 dropped 3rd down passes were huge. Oregon's offense is like a snowball, the more it rolls, the bigger it gets, and those drops were like someone stepping on the snowball after a couple of good rolls.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Absolutely. Cardell had all day to throw, all day. And Elliot had huge holes to run thru.

Other side of the ball, Oregon couldn't handle OSU's d-line or blitzes. It might have been 50-14 without the turnovers.

NCDawg
01-13-2015, 12:15 PM

Very true, and you could say the same for us. Ole Miss defense dominated our OL, and we couldn't run the ball. Same with our loss to Alabama, but not so much with GA Tech. GA Tech's offense dominated our defense.

Pollodawg
01-13-2015, 12:25 PM
I told my buddies- if they can block Bama- they can damn sure block Oregon

you have to #RTGDF- that's the bottom line

Yup. You have to win in the trenches and tote the tater. If you can run and then stop then stop the other team from running, you've gone a long way toward warning that W.