PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Can someone explain to me the huge discrepancy across the state for gas prices? The cheapest being reported is in Horn Lake at $1.55. In Greenwood it is $1.85. Here in Starkville it is still $2.02. How can gas be shipped and supplied to these other cities at close to $0.50/gallon cheaper than Starkville? If anyone can explain that I would be forever grateful to know why I am having to pay so much more for something than someone right down the road is.

War Machine Dawg
01-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Can someone explain to me the huge discrepancy across the state for gas prices? The cheapest being reported is in Horn Lake at $1.55. In Greenwood it is $1.85. Here in Starkville it is still $2.02. How can gas be shipped and supplied to these other cities at close to $0.50/gallon cheaper than Starkville? If anyone can explain that I would be forever grateful to know why I am having to pay so much more for something than someone right down the road is.

Yeah, it's called you live in a college town and are getting ripped the hell off. Same thing in Oxford. It's price gouging, but since the price isn't above the national average, no one is going to step in and do shit about it.

Barking 13
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Most of the gas stations in the golden triangle are owned by the same couple of people. It will be consistently about 10 cents higher than anywhere. Figure that one out.***
I've seen in MS, AL, and LA the past couple days anywhere from 2.09 to 1.69

I've gone from an avg. fillup cost of around $43 to $28.... and I run about a tank a day

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
I used to work in Hazelhurst and a guy I worked with talked about how the gas stations set the price together until Walmart opened up the gas pumps with the Walmart Supercenter. Prices dropped by about 20 cents overnight once they realized Murphy (Walmart) oil didn't give a crap about their monopoly.

STATEBALLIN
01-22-2015, 04:46 PM

County taxes probably play a role in that as well.

What I find most interesting is the interval between the grades of fuel. When i was younger it seemed like it was a 10 cent increase between grades. Now it's 20 and 22 cent increases.

Schultzy
01-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Some of it depends on which week you Bought the gas if you're a gas station owner. You can lose money if the guy across the street lucked out bought it at a a cheaper price in a given week.

The only people who affect gasoline prices in the long run (weeks, months) is OPEC.