PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listening to Mullen on ESPN2? Some good insight to his play calling thoughts.

IMissJack
01-12-2015, 09:07 PM

bluelightstar
01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Agree, I'm actually really enjoying the film room. He is nailing a lot of Ohio State's playcalls and thought process, which is to be expected. I also thought it was interesting that he was the only coach at the table talking about taking shots when OSU was backed all the way up to their goal line. That aggressiveness is what got them really "into" the game, and Mullen was the only one calling for it.

DoctorDawg
01-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I like it. Just wish the screens were reversed so we could see the game.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Derek Mason is as bad at this as he is at coaching. Well....maybe not that bad, but close.

IMissJack
01-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Derek Mason is as bad at this as he is at coaching. Well....maybe not that bad, but close.

My son and I were just discussing this exact issue. Mason just sits there and states the obvious, with no insight.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Cadaver...I was thinking the same thing. I can't understand what the hell he is saying. He may be saying all the right things, but nobody can tell.

I agree about the screens being reversed. Need the big screen with the game. Great concept though. Love it.

I don't know if any recruits are watching....hopefully assistants are tweeting recruits to flip it over to catch a glimpse of the experts analyzing the game.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Derek Mason was damn near as bad of a hire as Rick Ray. What in the absolute hell could an AD see in either of those two that would make them think "That is my guy"? I really question someone that can't see how awful of a hire those were. I mean, you shouldn't even have to get into strategy or anything like that....just simple conversation should have been enough to send Ray and Mason to the house.

bluelightstar
01-12-2015, 09:34 PM
What? Derek Mason literally sounds nothing like Rick Ray.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 09:35 PM
What? Derek Mason literally sounds nothing like Rick Ray.

Not talking about the sound of his voice....I'm talking about how clueless they both sound. Neither of them comes across as "Head Coach Material". Could they not have gotten Sumlin, or Malzahn, or somebody?

SapperDawg
01-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Mason Quote Hall of Fame:

Nice pitch and catch.
Hard to run against an 8 man front.
Gotta Win.

I feel like he is only getting every third word Mullen and Riley are putting out there.

rabbitthedawg
01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Like this format!

I seen it dawg
01-12-2015, 09:57 PM
And he won't shut up. Hey mason go get us some beer and wings and make yourself useful.

maroonmania
01-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Wish someone would ask Dan why Urban just put his QB under center for the sneak to get the TD but MSU won't seem to do that! I hate needing 6 inches and running the QB from 5 yards deep in the shotgun.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 10:00 PM
And he won't shut up. Hey mason go get us some beer and wings and make yourself useful.

Haha

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Wish someone would ask Dan why Urban just put his QB under center for the sneak to get the TD but MSU won't seem to do that! I hate needing 6 inches and running the QB from 5 yards deep in the shotgun.

I just said the same thing.

rcsteph1
01-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Like this format!

Yea I do as well. Mullen is stealing the show.

Rayburn8
01-12-2015, 10:17 PM

He is in there becuase he pretty much invented the formula for beating Oregon while at Stanford.

rabbitthedawg
01-12-2015, 10:19 PM
By far the most insight! Can't believe that dumb ass Vandy coach is part of this!

Drugdog
01-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Did you hear Dan comment on the bend don't break. Was praising OSU.

I seen it dawg
01-12-2015, 10:28 PM
He is in there becuase he pretty much invented the formula for beating Oregon while at Stanford.

Hmmmm maybe should have brought some of that with him to Nashville. I was on sidelines for Vandy game and he was glazed over

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 10:37 PM

Yea, it's starting to look like it wasn't because of Mason's genius.

Outside Dawg
01-12-2015, 10:44 PM
It's funny to search "Mullen" on twitter. Lots of very mixed opinions.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Mason has a couple more years to prove his worth...right now- he doesnt look promising. We'll see- he did have some rebuilding to do. He has a tough job also-but Franklin showed it could be done.

Barking 13
01-12-2015, 11:24 PM
did you see where they were talking special teams? Mullen was silent...lol

whosyourdawgy
01-12-2015, 11:25 PM
What I like about Dan is he has a freaking personality and it comes thru well on TV. Most coaches are dry boring asses and Dan is anything but boring. And he is killer at analyzing these plays too. He really could be a good analyst on TV. Could you imagine Freeze's dry ass on there?

Barking 13
01-12-2015, 11:27 PM
What I like about Dan is he has a freaking personality and it comes thru well on TV. Most coaches are dry boring asses and Dan is anything but boring. And he is killer at analyzing these plays too. He really could be a good analyst on TV. Could you imagine Freeze's dry ass on there?

uh, yeah.... in my best bucktooth bubba voice....

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 11:27 PM

It would be a 4 hour recruiting pitch, accompanied by that pedophile looking grinch grin of his.

Irondawg
01-12-2015, 11:30 PM
I just tuned into this and am finding it really interesting. what a great idea even if the screen division needs work

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Dan is starting to lose his hair and will have a comb over soon. They just showed the proper angle

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Dan is starting to lose his hair and will have a comb over soon. They just showed the proper angle

Mullen, please notice that Ohio State is leading with that H-back on 80% of their running plays. We run the same offense as Ohio State, but we don't use a lead blocker like they do. Please find a blocking TE/FB/HB and use him!!!

Barking 13
01-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Mullen, please notice that Ohio State is leading with that H-back on 80% of their running plays. We run the same offense as Ohio State, but we don't use a lead blocker like they do. Please find a blocking TE/FB/HB and use him!!!

I was hoping he would have used Turtle in that role this year, but decided to use him as a 1C linebacker...

drunkernhelldawg
01-12-2015, 11:50 PM

I'm a wonderer.

rabbitthedawg
01-12-2015, 11:52 PM
What a great way to watch a game like this!

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Something tells me we may be running some off balance formations next season

HoopsDawg
01-13-2015, 12:01 AM
I was hoping he would have used Turtle in that role this year, but decided to use him as a 1C linebacker...

Even in the no back look and the QB lead, they still used #5 as a lead blocker. Mullen is about creating mismatches, but our run game does the exact opposite. Please make this adjustment Mullen. I have been begging for 2 years.

trob115
01-13-2015, 12:16 AM
I really enjoyed watching that. Hopefully mullen will take some things away from this game

Outside Dawg
01-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Honest question...how would this format translate to basketball or baseball?

Irondawg
01-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Honest question...how would this format translate to basketball or baseball?

Basketball might be too fast and baseball might be too slow. I think it would work great in basketball to have some talking points during timeouts or free throws etc. to go back and show why certain sets worked, etc.

Baseball would be the hardest to watch to me and would be hardest for the coaches trying to do it.

mstatefan91
01-13-2015, 04:29 AM
Derek Mason's philosophy on 3rd and short:

Hope to get a stop but if you dont... oh well, good job D.

Explains a lot