PDA

View Full Version : Heard from a pretty good source that Michael White could be next head coach of MSU...

dawgclub99
01-12-2015, 08:05 PM
This would drive the Confederates nutts because half the fanbase wants him. I think itd be a great hire because he is a proven head coach and not a risky assistant.

Political Hack
01-12-2015, 08:20 PM
I can't see us ever hiring a former Ole Miss player as our head coach.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 08:24 PM
would be hard for me to see that happening as well- plus things are so preliminary right now- nobody is even a candidate right now

dawgclub99
01-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Its being talked about.

dawgclub99
01-12-2015, 08:32 PM
This would drive the Confederates nutts because half the fanbase wants him. I think itd be a great hire because he is a proven head coach and not a risky assistant.

Why not?

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
That would not be a homerun hire.

Acid mouth
01-12-2015, 08:58 PM

I agree. But if the OP is trolling... Let's do it!

msstate7
01-12-2015, 09:02 PM
That would not be a homerun hire.

I don't think we're capable of going yard with this hire. A double is probably the best we can hope for with the amount of money we'll spend, talent on campus, and being in a bad basketball conference. I think white is a double. I doubt we get him, but I wouldn't be unhappy if we did

Dawg61
01-12-2015, 09:12 PM
He's only 37. Would be a great hire imo.

Mutt the Hoople
01-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I agree. Mississippi State has NEVER hired an Ole Miss alum.

Sincerely,

Bob Tyler.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Would he accept a clause in his contract? You know the one I'm talking about....

Personally, I don't.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 09:37 PM
I agree. Mississippi State has NEVER hired an Ole Miss alum.

Sincerely,

Bob Tyler.

It's not 35 years ago anymore

TopDog58
01-12-2015, 10:09 PM

I agree. Winning at La Tech = proven coach.

Sincerely,

Derek Dooley

dawgclub99
01-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Sincerely,

Derek Dooley

Compared to hiring an unproven assistant, yes he is.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Sincerely,

Derek Dooley

Michael White is Coach K compared to what we have now.

blacklistedbully
01-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Michael White is Coach K compared to what we have now.

I am Coach K compared to what we have now.

yjnkdawg
01-13-2015, 12:59 AM
I don't care where they graduated from. If they are a good basketball coach and can move our program forward and put MSU back on the basketball map then let's go for it. If a person was hired that was an alum of an opposing school, I believe their loyality would be with the school paying them the big bucks to coach.
I agree with CD, too, about the Coach K comment.

cheewgumm
01-13-2015, 01:19 AM
Can it be Richard Willams part 2?

Why not?

Johnson85
01-13-2015, 09:09 AM

I can see how it would be unlikely for him to take the job, but if he was willing to take the job and agree to a buyout provisions specific to leaving for Ole Miss, I don't see why we wouldn't hire him. I don't think most players (or even fans) are so loyal to a school that they would let it interfere with an opportunity to make 7 figures.

shannondawg
01-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Duh? Jackie Sherill and Croom, but not in the same breath , comes to mind..

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 09:25 AM
We better be getting out of the preliminary stage and into some candidates stage. Seeing the end effects how what a shitty hire was made, we can never start to early.

notoriousdog
01-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I'd love to have Mike, but I don't see this happening. I've always heard that he wants his next job to be in the ACC or at Ole Miss.

engie
01-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Sincerely,

Derek Dooley

Going 17-20(12-12) is what you would consider "winning at La Tech"? He was 4-8 the year Tennessee hired him.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 10:27 AM
We better be getting out of the preliminary stage and into some candidates stage. Seeing the end effects how what a shitty hire was made, we can never start to early.

Strick is still telling people Ray is getting 5 years. This situation is coming to a head very soon. Candidates aren't even being considered yet. White being named is just some booster's wishful thinking right now

Dawg496
01-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Strick is still telling people Ray is getting 5 years. This situation is coming to a head very soon. Candidates aren't even being considered yet. White being named is just some booster's wishful thinking right now

If so, I will start the FireScottStricklin.com campaign. I'm sure it's somehow against NCAA rules according to Scott, though.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM

If true, Scott is essentially betting his career here on ray.

Does Scott believe in ray this much or is Scott's pride bigger than our video board?

engie
01-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Scott is going to publicly support Ray until the day he fires him. That's how it works.

quickstrike2
01-13-2015, 10:48 AM

And I understand that. I don't care about White at the moment. I just think Strick should know or hopefully knows that Ray is not going to be our coach next year, and getting some idea of who some candidates might be. He seemed very caught off guard on the last hire. Publicly, I wouldn't want Strick to not support Ray or mention anything about other candidates till he is fired.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Oh I agree- any good AD will have his guy with a verbal agreement by the end of March

Jacksondevildog
01-13-2015, 11:08 AM
If this is true, it terrifies me about who he would hire if Mullen ever left. We would probably get Hal Mumme at Belhaven or something.

msstate7
01-13-2015, 11:11 AM
If this is true, it terrifies me about who he would hire if Mullen ever left. We would probably get Hal Mumme at Belhaven or something.

Hal got too much experience for SS to hire*

engie
01-13-2015, 11:46 AM

You really think he's going to say "oh yeah, I'm firing Ray and accumulating a candidate list as we speak"? If he had said anything different -- THAT would terrify me about his ability to be a successful AD here.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2015, 11:56 AM

5 years? He could have said 4. Does that mean Scott did extend him after year 1?

Coach34
01-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Sounds like he did to me

BiscuitEater
01-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Sounds like he did to me

Every contract & every extension has to be 'approved' by the College Board. Even though it's a formality, everyone in the State knows exactly how long the contracts are for and by law all are limited to four years max.

Ray was signed to a four year, $1M + contract/year, thus he will only have one year left ... one year to be 'bought out' if fired.

engie
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't believe that Scott extended him and won't until I see it printed by someone that sees the contract from a FOI request.

If he did, that last million needs to come out of his own pocket. But until I see otherwise, I'm saying it didn't happen.

BiscuitEater
01-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Strick is still telling people Ray is getting 5 years.

is encouraged on here. Strick is no idiot and I would be interested in 'who' he is telling this '5 years' stuff to. It's an AD's job to support his coaches but that only goes so far.

And, for background ... You said on SPS that Stansbury had been given 'another year' to turn things around; thus you were making your 'last' Stansbury post on SPS for a year.

Stans was fired/retired less than 24 hour later and you were back posting crap again. So much for your 'inside' info.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Shit changes my man. Sometimes it's right- sometimes it's not. I'm right more than I'm wrong- and that's why we have the best State fan site on the net. Thanks for being a part of it

BiscuitEater
01-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Shit changes my man. Sometimes it's right- sometimes it's not. I'm right more than I'm wrong- and that's why we have the best State fan site on the net. Thanks for being a part of it

things do change. And, I agree you are right on a lot of things, especially football. BUT, you have some huge 'blinders' on WRT some subjects .. Stans, especially. Everyone has their 'own' perspective.

I really enjoy this site and I do sincerely appreciate what you do to keep it running. I can only post at lunch or in the evenings but can read at work when I get a break.

** YOU do need to quit the chicken-shit edits when someone disagrees with you.

Coach34
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
No- you simply need to post over here about something other than Stands or bitching about me. Just try it once-
you'll enjoy it- I promise.

Acid mouth
01-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Scott is going to publicly support Ray until the day he fires him. That's how it works.

This times a million

SouthMsDawg
01-13-2015, 03:56 PM
I call BS on SS extending Ray's contract to 5 years. If he did he is an idiot and should be embarrassed. You don't agree to give someone more money when they haven't done anything to deserve it. Terrible business model.

I think that we need to fire Ray after this season and hire a competent coach who knows the region, knows recruiting, has head coaching experience and has connections with AAU.

Also, Ray has always been talking "PLAYER DEVELOPMENT" this and "PLAYER DEVELOPMENT" that and as of now the guys he's had 3 years don't look any better than they did when he was hired.

shannondawg
01-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Engie is 100% correct, and well as Scott for handling it in the manner he described. Scott might have made a dumb hire, but he ain't stupid.

NeshobaChuck
01-13-2015, 06:11 PM
What about Butch Pierre assistant at OK State has Miss. State ties and is known for recruiting guys like Glen Davis, Marcus Thornton, Brandon Bass, Anthony Randolph, Marcus Smart list goes on