PDA

View Full Version : Tell me more about recruiting

bulldogcountry1
01-12-2015, 04:22 PM
What goes on in a young man's living room during a recruiting visit? Makes a makes a recruiter really good besides a good personality? What's the difference between recruiting a guy hard and stalking? Are we talking about a coach presenting depth charts and talking about facilities or is it just non-stop ass kissing?

I have a hard time visualizing how that process would be pleasant for a recruit, especially when you have coaches lined up in your driveway and everyone telling you what you need to do. I guess a lot of these kids have never gotten that much attention and want to make the most of it. I just can't relate.

smootness
01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
What goes on in a young man's living room during a recruiting visit? Makes a makes a recruiter really good besides a good personality? What's the difference between recruiting a guy hard and stalking? Are we talking about a coach presenting depth charts and talking about facilities or is it just non-stop ass kissing?

I have a hard time visualizing how that process would be pleasant for a recruit, especially when you have coaches lined up in your driveway and everyone telling you what you need to do. I guess a lot of these kids have never gotten that much attention and want to make the most of it. I just can't relate.

I think a lot of guys love it at first because you have some of the best coaches at the best programs in the country telling you how awesome you are and how much they need you, you see your picture and interviews and such on the internet, etc. But I think most of them do tire of it eventually, for the reasons you mentioned.

I can't imagine it from either side. If I were a talented football player, I would tell them all to back off and that if anybody stalked me, they would be out. And I just couldn't ever be a coach.

As to what makes a good recruiter, I think it's a combination of relatability (ability to effectively engage a HS kid in any kind of discussion), hard work (not necessarily stalking, but constantly keeping up with the player and communicating), and actually enjoying the recruiting process. It isn't for everybody, but some coaches like it.

I think the relatability is what determines whether a recruit thinks a coach is awesome or simply a creepy stalker.

archdog
01-12-2015, 06:40 PM
How is Freezr not seen as a stalker is beyond me. Dude screams econovan with no windows.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 06:53 PM
How is Freezr not seen as a stalker is beyond me. Dude screams econovan with no windows.

Freeze drives a van like this that says "BJ's" on the side...

http://www.huttsez.com/storage/Stalker%20Van.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13438 81839846