msstate7
01-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Good. I feel good about this kid for some reason

thedawg
01-12-2015, 01:52 PM
This was mystery guy that they wanted to keep quiet

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 01:52 PM
I know the coaches really like him. This is part of the reason he was kept so quiet. A 6'5" 290lbs OL who can enroll early is a lot more valuable than just a regular summer enrollee. Good job by the staff on getting him in early without much fanfare.

thedawg
01-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Really good addition.. Big and plays nasty... prototype what we look for in guards... Another example of we scouted him and found him.. kept him quiet and got him in..

Bo Darville
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
He says he was offered and verbally committed to Hevesy in mid-December, yet it is just now being reported. Basically, the kid isn't worried about publicity, hat picking, and fanfare. He just wants to work and succeed. Welcome aboard big fella.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Anybody got a link to his video we could post in this thread? I'm sure many others would like to see what we're getting. I remember watching his tape a while back, and he looks pretty good to me. I'm surprised by his offer sheet to say the least.

engie
01-12-2015, 01:59 PM
We'll see in 2-3 years, but it's always good to get an EE...

I won't pretend for one second to be able to properly evaluate OL...

Political Hack
01-12-2015, 02:01 PM

it's damn near impossible. Dillon Day was the only no-brainer I think we've signed in the last five years IMO. his high school tape was just nasty. he worked out pretty well for us after gaining weight.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 02:06 PM
it's damn near impossible. Dillon Day was the only no-brainer I think we've signed in the last five years IMO. his high school tape was just nasty. he worked out pretty well for us after gaining weight.

I felt that way watching Tommy Champion's Jr. film before he got the stars & everyone started talking about him. I think he'll be All SEC before he leaves MSU.

mic
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Good pick up.. Hopefully we get another one.. Never have too many OL..
And huge we got him in early.. Coach Hev may not have a roster full of 5* kids out of high school but he has a lot of good young talent and depth to work with..,
For all the flak he gets about recruiting he has made up for and then some with his eye for talent and coaching them up..

Really Clark?
01-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Agree and Story is nasty as well. He is still very raw but has very good upside I think. If he develops, could be another under the radar McKinney type. But we will see in a few years.

mic
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM

And I'm not sure some of these so called recruiting experts can either once you get past the can't miss prospects out of high school.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 02:15 PM
He says he was offered and verbally committed to Hevesy in mid-December, yet it is just now being reported. Basically, the kid isn't worried about publicity, hat picking, and fanfare. He just wants to work and succeed. Welcome aboard big fella.

That's around the time we asked Derounen to grayshirt. Getting him in early allows us to still sign 25 in Feb. which is important + obviously an extra spring. He and Darryl Williams will obviously redshirt but that's 2 nasty guys on the interior.

mic
01-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Yeah I was told by the late coach there at West Monroe when he signed with us that Day was one of the best football players he had ever coached. I knew then we got a steal..

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 02:21 PM
That's around the time we asked Derounen to grayshirt. Getting him in early allows us to still sign 25 in Feb. which is important + obviously an extra spring. He and Darryl Williams will obviously redshirt but that's 2 nasty guys on the interior.

Yep you lock up Nathan Gilliam & you have a very solid OL class.

BankerDog
01-12-2015, 02:54 PM
This could be the reason the Ole Miss guys were starting the Hevesy to USC talks.

This guy will be good. And certainly a good fine

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
This could be the reason the Ole Miss guys were starting the Hevesy to USC talks.

This guy will be good. And certainly a good fine

We might want to slow down on the expectations on this kid. Seems like a good kid that had a solid senior season, but its not like he came out of no where. He came to our camps and we didnt offer. This is not a Chris Jones situation.

I hope like hell this kid is a monster, and the fact that he is a damn good basketball player is a good sign, but we can't keep making an OL beating out ULL, UK, Troy and other non Power 5 teams.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Yep you lock up Nathan Gilliam & you have a very solid OL class.

If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest
Story - Only offers are Sun Belt schools
Moon - Maybe a Ga Tech offer
Williams - Solid player, that was passed over by AU

I mean, I like Rankin, and Williams has potential - but you don't win national titles with OL's that you aren't competing with other big time schools over. Maybe Im alone on this, but its another year, and another year of OL recruits that not many teams in the SEC wanted other than Rankin.

DistrictDawg92
01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
One thing to note with this guy is that he turned 17 in August, he could be a junior in high school. Instead he is about to begin his freshman year. When he came to our camps he was a 16 year old going up against 17 and 18 year olds, which makes a difference at that age. He gets an extra semester of working out and learning technique on top of a full redshirt year. This was a good get for the Dawgs.

Bothrops
01-12-2015, 03:40 PM
If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest

I mean, I like Rankin, and Williams has potential - but you don't win national titles with OL's that you aren't competing with other big time schools over. Maybe Im alone on this, but its another year, and another year of OL recruits that not many teams in the SEC wanted other than Rankin.

There's some great teams that ended up ranked higher than us with similar ranked talent at OL.

Johnson85
01-12-2015, 03:51 PM
One thing to note with this guy is that he turned 17 in August, he could be a junior in high school. Instead he is about to begin his freshman year. When he came to our camps he was a 16 year old going up against 17 and 18 year olds, which makes a difference at that age. He gets an extra semester of working out and learning technique on top of a full redshirt year. This was a good get for the Dawgs.

Wasn't Senior a similar deal as far as being very young for his class? Makes a big difference when you're trying to project which tall, skinny guy (if you want to call somebody in the mid 200's skinny) is going to be able to pack on weight and keep his athleticism. Most people's body types are still maturing at 17.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 03:51 PM
If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest

Rankin - MSU, OKL, FLA, KY, L'VILLE, MIZZ, OHIO ST, OM, TEXAS, KANSAS
Williams - MSU, AUB, KY, FSU, L'VILLE
Gilliam - MSU, WF, KY, L'VILLE, USC(E)
Moon - MSU, GT, USF
Story - MSU, Troy, ULL, MTSU

I'm not sitting here saying that this is the greatest OL Class in the world but considering just a year or 2 ago our whole OL class offer list looked like Story. This class is a solid OL Class. Now the key is to bring in another solid to better class next year. That's good recruiting & what we need to do.

NCDawg
01-12-2015, 03:52 PM
If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest

No, you're not alone. We might as well accept the fact that we aren't going to be able to get the big name offensive lineman recruit with this coaching staff. It happens this way year after year.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Rankin - MSU, OKL, FLA, KY, L'VILLE, MIZZ, OHIO ST, OM, TEXAS, KANSAS
Williams - MSU, AUB, KY, FSU, L'VILLE
Gilliam - MSU, WF, KY, L'VILLE, USC(E)
Moon - MSU, GT, USF
Story - MSU, Troy, ULL, MTSU

I'm not sitting here saying that this is the greatest OL Class in the world but considering just a year or 2 ago our whole OL class offer list looked like Story. This class is a solid OL Class. Now the key is to bring in another solid to better class next year. That's good recruiting & what we need to do.

Look, Im not going to argue with you about kids and offers - but we both know Williams doesn't have an AU offer. We know this because the kid basically told anyone that would listen that he would go to AU if they offered him.

I guess it is true that compared to two years ago, this OL class looks good. Im not sure if that makes me happy or sad.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Look, Im not going to argue with you about kids and offers - but we both know Williams doesn't have an AU offer. We know this because the kid basically told anyone that would listen that he would go to AU if they offered him.

I guess it is true that compared to two years ago, this OL class looks good. Im not sure if that makes me happy or sad.

Yea I'm not saying he could commit to Auburn today bc we both know he can't. But I'm not going to say he couldn't at 1 time commit to Auburn bc he could've back in the summer but waited too late. Like you say on offers it's hard to know what's real or not bc you don't know until a kid tries to commit. Again not saying we have an awesome OL Class but at 1 time or another 3 out of a 5 possible commits had multiple SEC offers & 4 out of 5 had at least 2 Power 5 conference offers. That's a solid class IMO & a good improvement over the past.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 04:28 PM
There's some great teams that ended up ranked higher than us with similar ranked talent at OL.

no shit. Check out TCU's OL ratings and get back to me. They handled Fredo's OL pretty damn well. Nothing is wrong with our OL talent. We whipped Auburn, LSU, and A&M's ass with it. Our offense had 300 yards on Bama in the 2nd half alone. We just had some shit gameplans in the 1st halves of 2 games.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Tommy Champion having to go to Juco first really sours this HS Oline class. I think he is a legit Tackle prospect.

maroonmania
01-12-2015, 05:11 PM
If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest

Barrett Sallee, is that you? Look, I understand your point and there is no doubt we have more trouble pulling in elite OL prospects than any other position BUT OL prospects are also by far the most difficult to project to the next level. So development is more important with OL than any other position. Yep, there are about 30 to 40 can't miss OL prospects out there like a Tunsil but after that it quickly becomes a crapshoot. No doubt we should improve but I have noticed in MS that the high rated OL prospects, in general, don't seem to pan out at any higher rate than slightly lower rated guys.

MabenMaroon
01-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Colonel Rebal is cying: " But, but, but that is not fair, how can you enroll somebody we want without him publicly committing first. We didn't even have a chance to get the bagmen and the hookers in there and flip him. I am telling you that is just plain not fair, we didn't even know y'all wanted him, how can we evaluate somebody if we don't know if MSU wants him or not. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!! We are going straight to the NCAA over this one, how dare you sneak one in behind our backs! IT"S JUST NOT FAIR, I"M TELLING YOU!!!

Barking 13
01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
I guess Derrick Sherrod had a ton of offers too....***

mic
01-12-2015, 08:17 PM
T
If our OL class is :

Rankin - Juco Stud
Gilliam - Wake Forest

I bet the Ducks starting OL doesn't have more than one 5star recruit on it..
It's been said before and known fact that OL is the hardest position to evaluate talent .. Except for your few cant miss 5* not much difference between some of the 3* and 4*

Political Hack
01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Wisconsin, Arkansas, and TCU do ok despite rankings.

msstate7
01-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Wisconsin has one of the best olines year-in, year-out. I have no idea what their rankings look like

Coach34
01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Wisconsin has one of the best olines year-in, year-out. I have no idea what their rankings look like

Their starting OL per Rivals from left to right:

Tyler Marz- 3-star
Dallas Lewallen- 3-star
Dan Voltz- 4-star
Kyle Costigan- 2-star
Rob Havenstein- 3-star

mic
01-12-2015, 09:59 PM
R
Their starting OL per Rivals from left to right:

Tyler Marz- 3-star
Dallas Lewallen- 3-star
Dan Voltz- 4-star
Kyle Costigan- 2-star
Rob Havenstein- 3-star

The Ducks starting 5 for this game are all 3*....

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 10:12 PM
R

And they are getting worked. OSU has a bunch of 4 stars.

Really Clark?
01-12-2015, 10:27 PM

But they slapped FSU 4 & 5 stars around I believe. And consistently doing the same to USC and UCLA for a while.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Fla State says uhhhh, what about us? USC? UCLA? C'mon mane

engie
01-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Put up 300 yards in a half = "getting worked"?

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 11:04 PM

Skipper, Kirkland and Cook were all 4 and 5 star players. Mitch Smothers had over 20 offers.

4 of Oregon's OL had multiple Power 5 conference offers. They were beating out Michigan State, Michigan, UCLA for most of these OL.

Who was our best OL over Mullen's tenure? Derek Sherrod - the only first round pick of the bunch - he had 20+ offers coming out of high school.

With the coaches we have, if we could give them a little more raw material, I think our OL would be even better.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 11:05 PM
R

Don't look at stars - look at Power 5 offers. Oregon's OL have a lot, at least according to Rivals.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Don't look at stars - look at Power 5 offers. Oregon's OL have a lot, at least according to Rivals.

We have put 2 Offensive Linemen in the NFL under Mullen. Derek Sherrod who had a legit Bama offer. And Gabe Jackson who had a legit LSU offer.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 11:49 PM

That's right. All 3 stars aren't created equal. If you commit to MSU, Paul Jones gets you 3 stars. Look at the offers.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Anybody got a link to his video we could post in this thread? I'm sure many others would like to see what we're getting. I remember watching his tape a while back, and he looks pretty good to me. I'm surprised by his offer sheet to say the least.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but his videos are available on the 247 link you posted. Like a couple of posters said, he plays nasty, which is a good thing. It's been a long time since I've seen an OL running down field looking for someone to pancake. Nice.