PDA

View Full Version : MSU in NFL Playoffs

justwin
01-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Interesting biased CL report from Hughie ~pasted below. So, TSUN will have representation for one of the opponents, huh?

Well, check this out:

Colts - Vic Ballard
Packers - Josh Boyd
Patriots - Chris White
Ravens - Pernell McPhee
Seahawks - KJ Wright
Lions - Darius Slay
Panthers - Kyle Love
Cowboys - Cam Lawrence
Cardinals - Tommy Kelly

Not only is Miss. State assured Super Bowl representation, it is assured SB winner representation. Also, of the 12 playoff teams, State had representation on nine of the participants compared to TSUN's six.

Ole Miss assured of Super Bowl representation
OLE MISS SPORTS
Hugh Kellenberger, The Clarion-Ledger 10:28 a.m. CST January 12, 2015

OXFORD -- No matter what happens in Sunday's AFC title game, it'll lead to Ole Miss having an alum of its football program in the Super Bowl.
Either Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Donte Moncrief or New England Patriots running back Brandon Bolden will play in their first Super Bowl on Feb. 1. Bolden is in his third season as a pro, while Moncrief is a rookie.
Moncrief's role has grown as the season has wore on, and he made two catches for 32 yards in a win Sunday against the Denver Broncos. That included a 22-yard grab, his second-best of the postseason. No. 1 would have to be this 36-yard touchdown grab against the Cincinnati Bengals in the wild card round.

Moncrief, a third-round pick, finished the regular season with 32 catches for 449 yards and three touchdowns.
Bolden continued in his role this season for the Patriots as one of the team's depth backs and a key special-teams player. That's proven to be lucrative: he reportedly agreed to a two-year, $2.32 million dollar extension last week that includes a $300,000 roster bonus. Not bad for a former undrafted free agent.
He carried the ball 28 times for 89 yards this season, including a week 13 touchdown against the Green Bay Packers. Bolden also had six tackles on special teams, including two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Bolden carried the ball three times for seven yards and had a tackle in the team's win against the Ravens on Saturday.
Both players are among the best at their position in the Ole Miss record books. Moncrief finished his three-year career (2011-13) with 156 receptions for 2,371 yards and 20 touchdowns, all third all-time. Moncrief, a Raleigh native, chose to enter the NFL Draft after the 2013 season rather than pursue those records.
Bolden ran for 2,604 yards (fourth) and 27 touchdowns (second) from 2008-11. He had a shot at passing Deuce McAlister for Ole Miss' career rushing record going into his senior season, but an ankle injury in the season opener limited him.
Ole Miss last had a representative in the Super Bowl in 2013, when Patrick Willis' San Francisco 49ers played Michael Oher's Baltimore Ravens.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Yup, and Slay, Wright, McPhee, and Kelly are all starters. Vick would be a starter if he wasn't hurt, and I fully expect him to grab his spot back this spring hopefully.

I love watching KJ play. The dude is a baller. He is the leading tackler on the best defense in the NFL, yet somehow he didn't make the probowl. WT17?

MetEdDawg
01-12-2015, 12:28 PM
My hope is that Ballard can bounce back. He has had a run of bad luck since he got in the NFL but he's a certified 1,000 yard back. He would have been one before if he didn't split reps. I think it was last year that he ended the season with a bang and did really well.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
My hope is that Ballard can bounce back. He has had a run of bad luck since he got in the NFL but he's a certified 1,000 yard back. He would have been one before if he didn't split reps. I think it was last year that he ended the season with a bang and did really well.

Agreed. He has great hands out of the backfield and he is an excellent pass blocker, both of which is why he's so valued.

AROB44
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
I thought D. Skinner was on a roster as well.

Dawg61
01-12-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm rooting for Ballard. He's recovering from back to back major injuries. It'll be almost two full years since he last played.

Bass Chaser
01-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I thought D. Skinner was on a roster as well.

I thought so too so I had to look it up. He was released in October and signed back to the practice squad so he's not part of the 53-man roster.