PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd on defenses these days: "You have to be situationally great"

Dawg496
01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
"You don't have to have a great defense, but you have to have a defense that can be situationally great."

Just thinking back on the two losses this year. After we pull in to within a score of Bama, Sims converts two long 3rd downs running and a couple more throwing the ball and we can't get off the field. We had to nut up on that drive and get the stop and give Dak the chance. I know we lost that game ultimately because of Dak's throwing but we were still in it late and it just sucks we couldn't get off the field.

Same thing in the Egg Bowl. So many big plays but if we can get a stop after taking the lead, and add another score, the game is completely different. They answered anytime we had any kind of hope. We just weren't great at key moments.

I wasn't too happy about the Diaz hire but I think he will be an obvious upgrade in scheming and play calling. I still think we need a elite recruiter on the staff but with the team we have coming back, this may be the best way to maximize our chances at glory next year.. because even if we signed 5 5 stars this year, chances are they likely don't see the field given our staff's philosophy on development.

MetEdDawg
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
The reason we got it done this year more times than not was because we were situationally great in one area that makes the biggest difference which is red zone defense. We were a terror there this year and teams had a very difficult time scoring TDs on us when they got in the red zone.

I'm not sure we can duplicate that type of success again next year in the red zone, but if we can do a better job between the 20s in limiting red zone opportunities, it will offset some. We gave up too many big plays and too many yards between the 20s. If Diaz can keep the RZ defense somewhere near the top, decrease the # of RZ opportunities, and find ways to eliminate the big play, we will be in very good shape on that side of the ball.

Political Hack
01-12-2015, 01:22 PM
stopping the run with negative plays and turnovers sprinkled in. that's he name of the game now.