PDA

View Full Version : Most Questionable Player ever brought in

RBritt
01-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Who's the most questionable character Dan has ever brought into our program? I know Jackie and Stans brought in plenty. Do we have any that are remotely close to S(***) Kelly?

starkvegasdawg
01-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Quay?

I'm really having to rack my brain to come up with someone.

jumbo
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Quay is about all I can come up with also

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-12-2015, 10:20 AM
He's done a good job in this area and I think a lot of it has to do with what he saw and experienced at Florida.

Westdawg
01-12-2015, 11:06 AM
some would say Nick James or even elijah Staley because both were dismissed from their HS teams during their senior seasons.

for me, questionable would be taking guys that no one had ever heard of that would have been questionable recruits. the three most glaring to me are:
Benardrick McKinney
Jonathan Banks
Christian Holmes

All three were literal unknowns. All three were tremendous players, with two of them becoming superstars of our program, and are or will soon be fantastic NFL players.

thedawg
01-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Renardo Sydney was widely known to be completely toxic when we took him... Think about it... a guy with his skill set doesnt even play in Europe

Ralph
01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Dan has plenty with questionable talent (and proved ppl wrong), but not too many with questionable character. Unless he's just really good at tampering those characters. Either way, pretty impressive on Dan's part.

MrKotter
01-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Renardo Sydney was widely known to be completely toxic when we took him... Think about it... a guy with his skill set doesnt even play in Europe
Yeah, can't believe DAN brought him in****

thedawg
01-12-2015, 11:13 AM
My bad misread it... yeah Dan hasnt really taken a bunch of chances on character.. Elijah Staley would be the biggest probably

TrueMaroon
01-12-2015, 11:14 AM
for me, questionable would be taking guys that no one had ever heard of that would have been questionable recruits. the three most glaring to me are:
Benardrick McKinney
Jonathan Banks
Christian Holmes

All three were literal unknowns. All three were tremendous players, with two of them becoming superstars of our program, and are or will soon be fantastic NFL players.

Banks and McKinney were not literal unknowns. Many Diaz was salivating after watching McKinney at camp.

Banks had won mutiple championships in football and basketball. His athleticism was always evident.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Im not sure what good this thread does.

Lets go ahead and identify players we think where bad character guys? Do other fan bases do this to their own? Its just bizarre.

Next thread - Which football player do we think that we paid off to get to sign with us.

Next, Next thread - Which football player do we think does the most drugs.

Just bizarre.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Im not sure what good this thread does.

Lets go ahead and identify players we think where bad character guys? Do other fan bases do this to their own? Its just bizarre.

Next thread - Which football player do we think that we paid off to get to sign with us.

Next, Next thread - Which football player do we think does the most drugs.

Just bizarre.

Agreed.

In other news, Paps may be Beetlejuice****
http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/AP18695390508.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QJDOQQGmSDU/TL_PrRRnM4I/AAAAAAAAETo/5eH0EiH18QE/s1600/Beetlejuice+17+-+Beetlejuice+grabs+his+crotch.jpg

Westdawg
01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Banks was a literal unknown, so was McKinney. why is it that their ONLY offers were from us after they camped? It's because we were the only ppl that even gave them a first look, much less a second. I can name about a dozen kids like Banks that i have either coached or coached against over the years that were as gifted as Banks that never got a look because of where they were from.
I had a kid in NM at our school that was without a doubt the strongest arm i have ever seen in high school, led us to 3 straight football title games and won the last two, won it all in golf, was a standout on the diamond, phenomenal basketball players as well, and his ONLY offer was to a lowly DII school. and that was because our staff begged them repeatedly to come watch him.
Sometimes, a lot of great players just go un-noticed. It happens less frequently now because of the amount of technology out there, and the thing that has changed it more than anything in the past 4 years has been the expansion of HUDL, but it does still happen.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
it would've been Orgeron. Otherwise, Dan doesn't play around with bad apples like Freeze and others.

RBritt
01-12-2015, 11:48 AM
This thread was meant to see if we ever brought in pieces of shit like Chad Kelly. But I see your point. James and Staley seem to be making the best of their chances. Kelly may leave Oxford as a youth minister, Hugh is gonna save him.

maroonmania
01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Didn't the RB from Missouri we are signing this year have some kind of brush with the law? Shoplifting some shoes or something? But its correct that we don'y fool around too much with players that seem to have obvious character flaws under Mullen.

Johnson85
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Who's the most questionable character Dan has ever brought into our program? I know Jackie and Stans brought in plenty. Do we have any that are remotely close to S(***) Kelly?

I think everyone has pretty much nailed it. Nick James and Elijah Staley both had question marks, but not htat involved the law. One other recruit had whispers of a legal issue, but nothing ever came of it and he never had any legal issues while on campus.

Then you have people like Cox and Siddoway (and whoever else got arrested with Siddoway). Never heard of any character issues during their recruiting, but obviously made at least one really bad decision while at State. Maybe those players had apparent issues that were kept under wraps, or maybe they kept their noses clean until college.

smootness
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I can't think of anyone Mullen has brought in who had any legal issues at all before enrolling.

And Elijah Staley was not really a questionable character guy. From all reports, he's a good kid; he just had an issue with his head coach in high school, and reports seem to suggest his coach overreacted. I don't consider that a huge 'risk' guy.

I think Nick James would have to be #1 on this list. Think about it; besides him, and I guess Quay too, have we had anybody who we constantly wondered about? Has there been another player whose reactions to things were always questioned? 'What is Nick James' weight like?' 'Is he working hard?' 'Has he bought in?' I can't think of another player outside of him and Quay who we've ever had those thoughts about.

quickstrike2
01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Mullen hasn't resorted to a lot bringing in questionable folks, which is very respectable.

archdog
01-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it would be better if we just went team to team other than ours.

archdog
01-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Yeah, it would be better if we just went team to team other than ours.