PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

msstate7
01-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Visit weekends should be cranking up these next few weeks. Who has the breakdown of visitors?

Will we get Gilliam?

When should we expect story's offer?

Any surprises -- good or bad?

jumbo
01-12-2015, 09:31 AM
January 16th is our big in state visit weekend. the 23rd is the big out of state visit weekend.

I'm going to say no.

I've heard he has already enrolled. Paul hinted at a "mystery EE" last week and I think Story is the guy. Should know today with classes starting.

There are always surprises in Jan/Feb recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I say yes on both Gilliam & Story. I'm hoping no on surprises but there usually 1 or 2.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Visit weekends should be cranking up these next few weeks. Who has the breakdown of visitors?

Will we get Gilliam?

When should we expect story's offer?

Any surprises -- good or bad?

I assume we will get Gilliam. I would hope so. He is committed to Wake Forest. I would think an offer from us will trump that offer. I don't want a repeat performance of last year of losing out on OL to lesser schools like Kentucky or in this instance, Wake freaking Forest.

We will know by this weekend if we have a shot with Leo Lewis - he is scheduled to visit A&M this weekend - the same weekend he was scheduled to visit us. If he doesn't come in with his buddies, then I think we are on the outside looking in. If he visits the bearsharks the weekend of the 23rd, then I really don't like our chances.

I fully expect him to visit three random ass schools over the next next three weekends, and probably sign with the bearsharks.

I do hope we land some big fish that our coaches are in on that we aren't aware of.

Saltydog
01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
into getting better o.o.s. talent, then we likely won't. Sure, Dan and his team are good at finding the "diamonds in the rough", but there's no denying that we simply lacked talent in several spots this year.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:50 AM
I really only care about 2 things in recruiting. 1. the QB and I like Tiano's film; big; strong; mobile enough so I think we're good with him. 2. I love seeing what unknown kid Coach Mullen signs. Just a year ago no one heard of Jenkins or Gray and see how both are an important part of our future. As for this year, I think Anfernee Mullins and Tim Washington are going to be hell on defense once they gain some weight in about a year or so.

Jacksondevildog
01-12-2015, 11:52 AM
You can bet that Lewis will visit Ole Miss for the library experience.

msstate7
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Latest on peters?

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Latest on peters?

Its my understanding that Momma is happy with her son's choice. This isn't a Campbell recruitment, Momma is running the show here.

msstate7
01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Its my understanding that Momma is happy with her son's choice. This isn't a Campbell recruitment, Momma is running the show here.

Excellent

NCDawg
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
I assume we will get Gilliam. I would hope so. He is committed to Wake Forest. I would think an offer from us will trump that offer. I don't want a repeat performance of last year of losing out on OL to lesser schools like Kentucky or in this instance, Wake freaking Forest.

We will know by this weekend if we have a shot with Leo Lewis - he is scheduled to visit A&M this weekend - the same weekend he was scheduled to visit us. If he doesn't come in with his buddies, then I think we are on the outside looking in. If he visits the bearsharks the weekend of the 23rd, then I really don't like our chances.

I fully expect him to visit three random ass schools over the next next three weekends, and probably sign with the bearsharks.

I do hope we land some big fish that our coaches are in on that we aren't aware of.

How many times have you seen State flip someone else's commitments, particularly Ole Miss? I venture to say not very often. Don't like to be pessimistic, but I fully expect Lewis to honor his commitment and sign with Ole Miss. I hoped for some signing day "surprises" last year, but there weren't any.
IMO, we really need somebody like Orgeron to give a boost to our nationwide recruiting.

maroonmania
01-12-2015, 12:51 PM
How many times have you seen State flip someone else's commitments, particularly Ole Miss? I venture to say not very often. Don't like to be pessimistic, but I fully expect Lewis to honor his commitment and sign with Ole Miss. I hoped for some signing day "surprises" last year, but there weren't any.
IMO, we really need somebody like Orgeron to give a boost to our nationwide recruiting.

Also with Lewis I think he was primarily connected in with Collins on our staff. Losing him didn't help the cause. Right now its looking doubtful we even get a visit from Lewis. We need Farrod Green to do some major work on Lewis to get him to visit MSU this weekend instead of A&M.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 01:07 PM
I feel pretty comfortable in saying Leo will be in Starkville this weekend.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
I feel pretty comfortable in saying Leo will be in Starkville this weekend.

I feel comfortable saying that no one will know what Leo will do until the ink is dry, and probably until he is on campus.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
@robbiefaulk247: MSU will add a sixth early enrollee to the 2015 class. Ripley 3* OL Michael Story will enroll this week and sign with MSU.

smootness
01-12-2015, 01:50 PM
into getting better o.o.s. talent, then we likely won't. Sure, Dan and his team are good at finding the "diamonds in the rough", but there's no denying that we simply lacked talent in several spots this year.

Recruiting usually lags a year behind on-field success. We definitely should see a bump next year. But at this point, relationships have already been formed. Success gets you in the picture with guys more than it closes on guys, and at this point it's probably too late to make much difference.

NCDawg
01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
@robbiefaulk247: MSU will add a sixth early enrollee to the 2015 class. Ripley 3* OL Michael Story will enroll this week and sign with MSU.

Glad to know he's an OL, which we sorely need. He's probably another "project", but if he has the desire and with proper coaching and technique, maybe he'll turn out pretty good. We need good OL more than any other positions right now imo.

engie
01-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Also with Lewis I think he was primarily connected in with Collins on our staff. Losing him didn't help the cause. Right now its looking doubtful we even get a visit from Lewis. We need Farrod Green to do some major work on Lewis to get him to visit MSU this weekend instead of A&M.

Anyone preferring to play LB for Collins to Diaz hasn't been paying attention... And I'm pretty sure Lewis' primary recruiter is Tony Hughes...

I'll post it again. Chris White had as many sacks and TFL under Diaz than Wells and McKinney combined for under Collins. If Leo wants to attack at LB -- Diaz is his guy...

jumbo
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Hughes is the primary recruiter for Lewis and the majority of the MS kids

NCDawg
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Anyone preferring to play LB for Collins to Diaz hasn't been paying attention... And I'm pretty sure Lewis' primary recruiter is Tony Hughes...

I'll post it again. Chris White had as many sacks and TFL under Diaz than Wells and McKinney combined for under Collins. If Leo wants to attack at LB -- Diaz is his guy...

Agreed, and I hope Lewis realizes this, and look what K J Wright is doing in Seattle. No better LB coach than Diaz.

maroonmania
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM

I too think Diaz is the better LB coach from a coaching standpoint but we all know recruiting is primarily about relationships with coaches already established. If we can get Leo to campus and let Diaz sit down with him hopefully that will put us back solidly in the game with him.

DonnieFootball
01-12-2015, 05:12 PM
We've got some decent out-of-state talent committed: The QB from TN; Thomas from TN; RB from Mizzou; RB, WR, OL, DE from AL...I'm probably leaving out a few others.

smootness
01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
We've got some decent out-of-state talent committed: The QB from TN; Thomas from TN; RB from Mizzou; RB, WR, OL, DE from AL...I'm probably leaving out a few others.

It's already started for next year, too. We did lose Guidry, but at least we had him at one point. Nalls is a good OL from AL, and Tre Turner is a stud.