PDA

View Full Version : Can Donald Gray actually compete

justwin
01-12-2015, 01:05 AM
for the starting slot WRspot? It's the marque scoring position in Dan's offense and we need 10+ tds from there in 2015.

The last two 4* juco wrs we barely missed on were Rumph to Georgia & Corey Smith to Ohio State. Neither of those guys have done anything significant so hoping Gray can change the trend.

So, what can we expect from Gray in 2015? I truly think with the addition of Diaz, that Coach Mullen is trying to win it all in 2015 so the slot WR position really needs to produce. So, can Gray actually overtake Ross or Myles? I think it's Ross' to lose.

I guess he'll be punt returner exclusively.

not having jameon full strength cost us this year

MabenMaroon
01-12-2015, 06:34 AM
He will have to do a lot of learning on the fly and in a hurry to supplant Ross or Myles. Can't glean anything about his blocking skills or sticking to route assignments from his highlight tapes. No doubt his ceiling on running with the ball probably exceeds both, but in Coach Mullen's program you have to show a grasp of the complete package in order to garner much playing time. Mistakes in the other phases of the game can be more costly than the benefit from his running skills.

starkvegasdawg
01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
If he can just return kicks here like he did in JC then he's earned his scholarship as far as I'm concerned.

MabenMaroon
01-12-2015, 07:47 AM
If he can just return kicks here like he did in JC then he's earned his scholarship as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, that seems to be something sorely lacking in the Mullen era, a dynamic exciting kick/return game. ( "exciting" for the right reasons )

klong-dog
01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
He probably won't even be given a chance to be back there returning kicks, I mean, Holloway is still on the team correct?

thf24
01-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Ross isn't a slot, he's a flanker. Gray's competition at slot will be Myles, Smokey, and maybe Deddrick Thomas. My prediction is that most of the reps there will be split between he and Myles, the ratio being dependent on how reliably Myles can catch down the field by next season. Gray could be an electric playmaker for us, possibly like we've never seen at the slot position. I'm also optimistic that Mullen will finally pull his head out of his ass and use him on kickoff and punt returns. I think he's going to look so good at those spots that Mullen won't be able to justify not using him there.

starkvegasdawg
01-12-2015, 09:19 AM
If Gray makes 1B then he'll play 60% of the game.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Did it? We had one of the best offenses in the nation and the best in the SEC.

jumbo
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Ross will play on the outside opposite Wilson. Gray and Myles will compete for the starting slot position.

missouridawg
01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
It is amazing at what a 10 win season does to a fan base.

I truly think with the addition of Diaz, that Coach Mullen is trying to win it all in 2015

You do realize, that we lose about half of our key players from last year, right? Win it all? Wow.

Furthermore, you really think a championship caliber move is to hire Diaz?

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I think Diaz is a solid hire. But yeah...it's silly to think that we won't take a step back next season. I think 8 wins is reasonable.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 09:44 AM
In an ideal World, we would have Gray backing up Myles in the slot, and returning Kickoffs with Will Redmond. I actually like Fred Ross at PR, but would have no problem in giving that to Gray based on his highlights.

Unfortunately for our Special Teams, our head coach is a stubborn SOB, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Holloway and Shumpert (or Walley, or someone that can block) back on kickoff return. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Graham get another shot at PR. I don't agree with either of those, but I am expecting it.

If I had it my way, this would be the guys on the field at the start of the game in game 1....

QB - Dak
RB - Shump
TE - Walley
WR - Wilson
WR - Ross
Slot - Myles
OL - Rankin, Malone, Clayborne, Carter, Senior

S's - Coman, Market (With Bryant and Peters starting by year end, and playing a ton early)
CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun
OLB - Benny Brown
OLB - JT Gray
MLB - Richie Brown (With Gerri Green playing a LOT, & maybe starting by year end)
DE - Ryan Brown
DE - AJ Jefferson
DT - Chris Jones
DT - Nelson Adams

And I would have no 1B unit. Instead, I would just have a talented group of backups that would spell the starters any time they needed a break. I would sub in a second D-Line from time to time, that included DE- Will Coleman, DE- Calvin, DT- Nick James, and DT- Cory Thomas

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2015, 09:47 AM
for the starting slot WRspot? It's the marque scoring position in Dan's offense and we need 10+ tds from there in 2015.

The last two 4* juco wrs we barely missed on were Rumph to Georgia & Corey Smith to Ohio State. Neither of those guys have done anything significant so hoping Gray can change the trend.

So, what can we expect from Gray in 2015? I truly think with the addition of Diaz, that Coach Mullen is trying to win it all in 2015 so the slot WR position really needs to produce. So, can Gray actually overtake Ross or Myles? I think it's Ross' to lose.

I guess he'll be punt returner exclusively.

According to every juco source I have, the answer is Yes. 100% yes.

RBritt
01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
From a coach at Co Lin, "Donald is a special player."

HoopsDawg
01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Donald Gray didn't return kicks at Co-lin. Not to say he won't here, but he didn't in Juco.

I like Ross as PR b/c he fielded every punt cleanly after he took over and he had a couple of nice returns. Gray is dynamic as a PR. He took 3 to the house and had another one called back on a penalty, but he did muff the occasional punt.

Gray played outside WR at Co-lin so it will be a little bit of a transition to the slot. But he has the best combo of quickness and speed on our roster. I will be very surprised if he is not starting in the slot by Game 1. Myles barely played in the bowl game. Ross actually played slot in the bowl game ahead of Myles.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Did it? We had one of the best offenses in the nation and the best in the SEC.

we ONLY won 10 games without Jameon. Jameon had 3-4 drops vs Bama & GT that probably cost us those games.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Ross will play on the outside opposite Wilson. Gray and Myles will compete for the starting slot position.

maybe. I kind of like a taller Ross in the slot like Treadwell's freshman year. Actually, I'm still not convinced that Ross isn't better than Treadwell.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:41 AM

You do realize, that we lose about half of our key players from last year, right? Win it all? Wow.

you do realize that Dak is back, right? It's all about the QB in college football. We have depth everywhere else. I'd say Preston Smith is the biggest loss. Our OL will be fine.

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
I think Diaz is a solid hire. But yeah...it's silly to think that we won't take a step back next season. I think 8 wins is reasonable.

I thought Collins was pretty good and Diaz is an upgrade. Remember, Diaz put all those guys in the NFL a few years ago; not the other way around. I would've agreed with you on the step back had we gotten Orgeron, but not Diaz

justwin
01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
agree

In an ideal World, we would have Gray backing up Myles in the slot, and returning Kickoffs with Will Redmond. I actually like Fred Ross at PR, but would have no problem in giving that to Gray based on his highlights.

Unfortunately for our Special Teams, our head coach is a stubborn SOB, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Holloway and Shumpert (or Walley, or someone that can block) back on kickoff return. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Graham get another shot at PR. I don't agree with either of those, but I am expecting it.

If I had it my way, this would be the guys on the field at the start of the game in game 1....

QB - Dak
RB - Shump
TE - Walley
WR - Wilson
WR - Ross
Slot - Myles
OL - Rankin, Malone, Clayborne, Carter, Senior

S's - Coman, Market (With Bryant and Peters starting by year end, and playing a ton early)
CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun
OLB - Benny Brown
OLB - JT Gray
MLB - Richie Brown (With Gerri Green playing a LOT, & maybe starting by year end)
DE - Ryan Brown
DE - AJ Jefferson
DT - Chris Jones
DT - Nelson Adams

And I would have no 1B unit. Instead, I would just have a talented group of backups that would spell the starters any time they needed a break. I would sub in a second D-Line from time to time, that included DE- Will Coleman, DE- Calvin, DT- Nick James, and DT- Cory Thomas

Dawg496
01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
you do realize that Dak is back, right? It's all about the QB in college football. We have depth everywhere else. I'd say Preston Smith is the biggest loss. Our OL will be fine.

Agreed I don't understand the negativity. We have the personnel to win 10 again and with any luck, 11 or 12.

smootness
01-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Gray is a stud. He will probably be the most impactful JUCO we've signed on offense since JJ.

archdog
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM

It is beyond time to start thinking like everyone other big time program in the nation. The current ones did alright, but it is time to pick right back up with the new talent and push further.

BankerDog
01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
He will be the first true guy we've had in awhile that can create separation. And he's really good with the ball in his hands after the catch.

Dawgfan77
01-12-2015, 07:25 PM
He also has 4 to play three. RS at co Lin