PDA

View Full Version : Are we the only school to ever...

thunderclap
01-11-2015, 08:57 PM
makes hires that essentially self-impose the death penalty in not one, but two sports?

engie
01-11-2015, 09:00 PM
makes hires that essentially self-impose the death penalty in not one, but two sports?
3 sports.

We rehired Polk as well.

Smitty
01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
3 sports.

We rehired Polk as well.

4 regionals and Omaha isn't a death penalty....

He didn't stick around after the train left the station (like Stands, like Jackie). 2008 went downhill and he called it a career here. He COULD HAVE made it far worse and we not have the success we are having now. We only had 3 years down, 2 of a new rebuild until we tasted success again.

dawgs
01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
3 sports.

We rehired Polk as well.

in all fairness, polk did get us to a CWS before it all really got bad - equivalent of a NYE 6 bowl. i know some might say croom took us to a bowl, but croom rode a fluke run of defensive TDs to the liberty bowl.

bluelightstar
01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I think Croom might actually be better than Ray if that doesn't tell you all you need to know.

Maroonthirteen
01-11-2015, 09:48 PM
No question, Croom > Ray. 8-4 with a bowl win is about the equivalent of NCAA appearance. Ray ain't sniffing the nit much more the big dance.

engie
01-11-2015, 09:52 PM
in all fairness, polk did get us to a CWS before it all really got bad - equivalent of a NYE 6 bowl. i know some might say croom took us to a bowl, but croom rode a fluke run of defensive TDs to the liberty bowl.

Polk getting us to Omaha in 07 was as big of fluke as Croom's run. Lightning in a bottle. We proved quickly upon our arrival there that we didn't belong.

Polk 2 is directly responsible for our 3 worst seasons in baseball since the one year of Jimmy Bragan 33 years prior. To find another year as bad, you have to go to the years surrounding us not having a team during World War 2. We would have had to try really hard to hire worse at that time given how our program was perceived nationally.

Doesn't mean Polk isn't a better actual baseball coach than Croom and Ray because he is -- but that just makes how he quit on us that much worse. If he had retired when he ACTUALLY quit, rather than when Dan McDonnell's recruiting finally caught up with him and buried him, he would have never come back and attempted to survive off Pat McMahon's talent, the baseball camp, and one lucky run.

codeDawg
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM

I honestly don't understand the preoccupation with keeping our nose clean in the most lenient regulation and enforcement era in decades. Everyone else plays by the de facto rules. I don't understand the need to put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage intentionally.

Drugdog
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
I honestly don't understand the preoccupation with keeping our nose clean in the most lenient regulation and enforcement era in decades. Everyone else plays by the de facto rules. I don't understand the need to put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage intentionally.

It's because we are Miss. State.

Todd4State
01-11-2015, 10:56 PM

Because our compliance director doesn't want to deal with it. It's just easier to "do things right". But in his defense, he doesn't have a legal background.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 11:14 PM
I think Croom might actually be better than Ray if that doesn't tell you all you need to know.

Sadly- this may be true.

dawgs
01-12-2015, 01:05 AM
Polk getting us to Omaha in 07 was as big of fluke as Croom's run. Lightning in a bottle. We proved quickly upon our arrival there that we didn't belong.

Polk 2 is directly responsible for our 3 worst seasons in baseball since the one year of Jimmy Bragan 33 years prior. To find another year as bad, you have to go to the years surrounding us not having a team during World War 2. We would have had to try really hard to hire worse at that time given how our program was perceived nationally.

Doesn't mean Polk isn't a better actual baseball coach than Croom and Ray because he is -- but that just makes how he quit on us that much worse. If he had retired when he ACTUALLY quit, rather than when Dan McDonnell's recruiting finally caught up with him and buried him, he would have never come back and attempted to survive off Pat McMahon's talent, the baseball camp, and one lucky run.

Weren't we in regionals for the 4th straight season when we made that CWS? We might have gotten hot at the right time to make it, but it's not like it was a completely out of nowhere run. It would've been basically the equivalent of croom going to a low to mid tier bowl 3 seasons and then making a bcs/ny6 bowl. Croom instead just took us to 1 low tier bowl.

Now Polk definitely had let the program start to slip and we could see it coming, and it was time to make a move, but to compare Polk 2 to ray or croom is just ridiculous.

TheDogFather
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM

And ironically, the coaches fired to make those hires were arguable the best coaches in the history of MSU in their respective sports.

Acid mouth
01-12-2015, 09:06 AM

A committee composed of the greatest bear intellects would have a hard time sabotaging our men's basketball program better than our current administration.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Yes. We are the only school that has made bad coaching hires.

shannondawg
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Lets fire Ray and promote Bracky to interim coach, then we can get rid of him as well. Certainly won't make the program any worse and we get rid of two losers.

TheRef
01-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Lets fire Ray and promote Bracky to interim coach, then we can get rid of him as well. Certainly won't make the program any worse and we get rid of two losers.

Worst case scenario: Bracky comes in and the team goes undefeated for the rest of the year, wins the SECT and we go to the Elite 8

codeDawg
01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Because our compliance director doesn't want to deal with it. It's just easier to "do things right". But in his defense, he doesn't have a legal background.

Bracky is just a pawn in a larger game that I do not understand.