PDA

View Full Version : Ray hasn't been fired tonight?

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
I went to eat with the Fam, and had to keep up with the score on twitter. Just got home and realized there wasn't a thread announcing Ray being fired. Is this true? If so, what do we need to do in order to get Scott Stricklin on the hot seat? This is total incompetent donkey shit. The hire was bad enough, now you add Scott allowing this steaming pile a job after what we've seen lately? Get an interim in here or something. You CANNOT allow Rick Ray to finish the year. We are getting worse by the damn game.

I'm pissed off about this. What kind of AD allows this shit to continue when it is clearly getting worse by the day? Scott, if you are truly looking out for the program, fire Ray tonight and hire an interim to get us through the year.

I have always said that it was time for Stansbury to go when we fired him....and I am NOT starting another argument about it, it was definitely time.....BUT if I had known Scott was going to shit in his ****ing loafers with this hire, I would have definitely been in favor of giving Stans a year to right the ship. How could you possibly **** up a hire this bad....and how could you possibly allow him to spiral this program further and further down the damn toilet every game without doing something about it? Scott needs to either step up, or step out.

bluelightstar
01-10-2015, 10:47 PM
I literally don't understand why people think Ray should be fired mid-season. This team isn't going to magically go on a run with or without him.

He should finish the year, and be gone the next day. I'm even fine with announcing he will not be retained once we have a couple games left.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 10:50 PM
I literally don't understand why people think Ray should be fired mid-season. This team isn't going to magically go on a run with or without him.

He should finish the year, and be gone the next day. I'm even fine with announcing he will not be retained once we have a couple games left.

I don't want him fired because "I think we'll go on a run"....I want him fired because he doesn't deserve to stand on the sidelines. I want him fired so that all those coaches that might have interest, will know that there is an opening at MSU, and so we may possibly gauge some early interest. Hell no we aren't going on a run...I just want him gone because he was a garbage hire. What the hell good is going to do to keep him? At least if we got Richard Williams or someone in there as interim and they were able to show a little improvement down the stretch...that MIGHT look a little more enticing to a coach that is looking for a good pay day at a Power 5 school

cheewgumm
01-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Honestly nobody really cares about bball anymore do they?

bluelightstar
01-10-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't want him fired because "I think we'll go on a run"....I want him fired because he doesn't deserve to stand on the sidelines. I want him fired so that all those coaches that might have interest, will know that there is an opening at MSU, and so we may possibly gauge some early interest. Hell no we aren't going on a run...I just want him gone because he was a garbage hire. What the hell good is going to do to keep him? At least if we got Richard Williams or someone in there as interim and they were able to show a little improvement down the stretch...that MIGHT look a little more enticing to a coach that is looking for a good pay day at a Power 5 school

I just disagree with you. A midseason firing doesn't do anything except satisfy fan bloodlust. He obviously isn't going to be successful here, but unless and until he does something that embarrasses the university (I mean, besides having a crappy team), you don't fire him yet.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Honestly nobody really cares about bball anymore do they?

Look at all the fire Ray, hire whoever threads. We still care a little. If Ray gets another year, it may kill even the remaining interest.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 11:00 PM
I just disagree with you. A midseason firing doesn't do anything except satisfy fan bloodlust. He obviously isn't going to be successful here, but unless and until he does something that embarrasses the university (I mean, besides having a crappy team), you don't fire him yet.

Yea, I'll just agree to disagree. I think you fire Ray now, hopefully hire Williams as interim, and start reaching out to agents and letting people know that we are about to pay BIG money to our next coach if he is the right guy. Meanwhile hopefully Williams improves the team a little bit, and we look at least a LITTLE more like we have something in the cupboard for our next coach.

But I respect your point.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Look at all the fire Ray, hire whoever threads. We still care a little. If Ray gets another year, it may kill even the remaining interest.

This^

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 11:05 PM

Sounds to me like you don't want to be mean to Ray. **** that!! He's become a multi-millionaire thanks to MSU. We don't owe him shit. He's going to get his buyout too. Which should be a crime of theft btw.

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 11:13 PM
When you look at our players statistics in high school, most of the players could shoot. Sword was Mr Basketball in AL and hit over 50% from 3 point land. with Carver winning a State Championship. Houston was 6A player of the year and could shoot and I haven't really checked on others really close, but glancing through some info it appears that most could shoot in high school, but have regressed when they came to MSU. I know there is a difference in high school and the SEC, but wouldn't some of that be due to coaching? I feel sorry for our players because I think they came into a tough situation where it is not all their fault for this season, and a lot beyond their control.

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 11:17 PM
CD, I didn't get a chance to answer you on the closed thread, because when I got on ED, it was locked, but I agree with you on it being a good hire.

preachermatt83
01-11-2015, 12:16 AM

nailed it!

Irondawg
01-11-2015, 12:35 AM
Strick should have his pulse on the locker room as well. I have no idea what's going on in there if the players like or dislike Ray, etc.

There's clearly some locker room issues besides Ray, but it's also clear that other than FSU game something is going very, very wrong. Somehow we went from looking decent at the start of the year without supposedly our best player to looking like the worst team in P5 by a longshot.

Yeah, firing a coach midseason is usually worthless unless the guy has made the school look bad with on off-field/court incident but this thing is getting out of hand.

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 01:15 AM
Yeah, firing a coach midseason is usually worthless unless the guy has made the school look bad with on off-field/court incident but this thing is getting out of hand.

It gives us months more of time to hire a replacement. Didn't Auburn get a jump on the end of the season last year and land Pearl before the season was even done? Get feelers out there at 2-2.5 mill a year and hire a search committee. No reason at all we shouldn't land a top 25 HC.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2015, 01:17 AM
It gives us months more of time to hire a replacement. Didn't Auburn get a jump on the end of the season last year and land Pearl before the season was even done? Get feelers out there at 2-2.5 mill a year and hire a search committee. No reason at all we shouldn't land a top 25 HC.

Boom.

woozman
01-11-2015, 01:54 AM

I agree, but no way we are going to pay $2 million + a year for a basketball coach.

Dawgface
01-11-2015, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with a mid season firing, but doubt we do that. It has never been our way of handling a termination. Perhaps at some point during the season Scott can simply announce that the bb program will be evaluated at season end. That will pretty much let everyone know what is coming. Of couse start putting together a list of potential coaches now.

Political Hack
01-11-2015, 08:36 AM
How much of this is on Strick? Is firing Ray at season's end really enough to save Strick's job? How in the hell could he have possibly thought this was a good hire? Why did he piss off the coaches association? Why wouldn't he invest in the hire given the amount of sec money we were about to start accumulating?

I'm not so sure both of them shouldn't clean out their offices at seasons end.

msstate7
01-11-2015, 08:41 AM
How much of this is on Strick? Is firing Ray at season's end really enough to save Strick's job? How in the hell could he have possibly thought this was a good hire? Why did he piss off the coaches association? Why wouldn't he invest in the hire given the amount of sec money we were about to start accumulating?

I'm fine with keeping Scott at the moment. If Scott lets his pride get in the way of firing ray at season's end, that would change things. Scott has to admit he was wrong by firing ray and realize he won't be making the next hire by himself

Political Hack
01-11-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm fine with keeping Scott at the moment. If Scott lets his pride get in the way of firing ray at season's end, that would change things. Scott has to admit he was wrong by firing ray and realize he won't be making the next hire by himself

that's just it though. Why have an AD of an SEC school that you don't trust to make a head coaching hire? Is there something else that's more important?

Outside Dawg
01-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Auburn fired Barbee following their loss in the SEC tournament.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/auburn_fires_mens_basketball_c.html

cujo
01-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Hire Richard for the rest of this season and maybe beyond. Hell, Kansas State brought Bill Snyder back after his successor trainwrecked their football program.
That would allow you to court the long term hire indefinitely. Richard would just retire again once the right man is in place, even if it takes two or three years to get. Horatio might like it for Malik's one year of college, as well.

dickiedawg
01-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Where is this "fire Stricklin" crap coming from?
Yes, he totally screwed the pooch with the basketball hire. But all in all, his tenure has been monumentally successful.
In the nearly five years he's been AD, we've opened a basketball IPF, one of the premier football facilities anywhere and a beautiful football expansion. We're set to rebuild the softball and tennis complex into something to be proud of and, oh by the way, announced plans to build THE best stadium in college baseball. The football team has been to an unprecedented 5 straight bowl games, including the freaking Orange Bowl. I realize Stricklin's predecessor hir d Dan Mullen and he can't take credit, but how many times has Dan been "rumored" to be jumping ship? Someone deserves credit for doing what it takes to keep him around.
Overall, our athletic department is in better shape than ever before. With Strick having been AD nearly 5 years (After Byrne was AD only 2 years), it's time we give him credit for what's going right, in addition to blame for everything that isn't.

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Firing him now isn't going to make a difference in how fast we find a coach. If he's gone that's already going on in back channels. It doesn't have to be public for it to be happening. We are actually better off keeping him til end of the season and letting it ride out. It's only 2 months and unless he violates laws there is no reason to fire. There's no hope to the season anyway.

What if who we put in for interim just to finish the season now becomes a player for the job? And now some viable candidates pull their name because of it....why put any obstacle in the way of hiring somebody good even if it's probably negligible. You are still introducing one and why do it for no reason other than maybe win 2-3 more games in a lost season.

Makes no sense to fire right now. Do it at the end and clean out the ENTIRE program.

Maroons
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Your vindictive agenda against Scott for your own screwups is pathetic and tiresome. Please stop.

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
If Strickland makes another asshat hire to replace Ray he needs to go. He's a small timer in a big timers world right now. He needs to get big time or go.

ScottH
01-11-2015, 10:54 AM
David Murray actually had a good post on the topic a couple of days ago.

He didn't hink Ray would be fired BUT thought there was a high probability he would resign.

Said Ray was genuinely thankful for the opportunity and he didn't see Ray as a fight to the bitter end to hold on to a job guy.

Maybe Ray removing the administration from the decision and tendering his resignation is the best case end game.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 11:17 AM
David Murray actually had a good post on the topic a couple of days ago.

He didn't hink Ray would be fired BUT thought there was a high probability he would resign.

Said Ray was genuinely thankful for the opportunity and he didn't see Ray as a fight to the bitter end to hold on to a job guy.

Maybe Ray removing the administration from the decision and tendering his resignation is the best case end game.

That's just window dressing. Hell, 90% of coaches technically "resign". But you can bet Ray will still receive money owed.

Jackie resigned
Stands resigned
Crooms resigned
Polk resigned (although Polk did before he was actually forced)
Williams resigned

It's the Mississippi State way

ScottH
01-11-2015, 11:29 AM
I am well aware of the semantics of resign in "90% of the hires" and all the trappings that go with it.

My point is the actual best case in year 3 of this goat f*** for all would be for Ray to initiate the end himself.

If he does that, the decision is removed from the administration.

Political Hack
01-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Your vindictive agenda against Scott for your own screwups is pathetic and tiresome. Please stop.

ignorance is bliss. carry on.

Pollodawg
01-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Doesn't really matter if you fire him or not, tbh. This season is kaput anyway.

Political Hack
01-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes, he totally screwed the pooch with the basketball hire. But all in all, his tenure has been monumentally successful.
In the nearly five years he's been AD, we've opened a basketball IPF, one of the premier football facilities anywhere and a beautiful football expansion. We're set to rebuild the softball and tennis complex into something to be proud of and, oh by the way, announced plans to build THE best stadium in college baseball. The football team has been to an unprecedented 5 straight bowl games, including the freaking Orange Bowl. I realize Stricklin's predecessor hir d Dan Mullen and he can't take credit, but how many times has Dan been "rumored" to be jumping ship? Someone deserves credit for doing what it takes to keep him around.
Overall, our athletic department is in better shape than ever before. With Strick having been AD nearly 5 years (After Byrne was AD only 2 years), it's time we give him credit for what's going right, in addition to blame for everything that isn't.

a blind monkey could make significant strides riding the coattails of the Ninja with the most money the university has Eve had coming into the sports programs, courtesy of the SEC, not our Ath administration.

dawgs
01-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Building a ipf for basketball is wasted money if you aren't going to ensure you have a serviceable coach.

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 12:06 PM

That's how awful of a job SS has done with men's basketball. The ipf was already in the works when SS took over so how exactly has SS improved the basketball program at all since becoming AD? Firing Stansbury isn't an answer. SS has done nothing for Hoops. He's turned it into dead last in the country. SS MUST be fired if Ray returns next season.

PMDawg
01-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Its only one guy saying fire scott. And that one guy has a personal vendetta.