PDA

View Full Version : Whispers about Malik Newman

Coach34
01-10-2015, 09:58 PM
"leaning Texas A&M right now for a couple of reasons"

"Malik just cant come to State because there is nobody there to help him on the floor"

One network working hard- the other network sitting on its hands

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM
A&M? That would serve us right.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM

"Malik just cant come to State because there is nobody there to help him on the floor"

Couldn't help but laugh if so, revenge of the stans.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:06 PM
He is "The Recruiter"

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 10:06 PM

Knew it'd be aTm. Stansbury has had full wood for months thinking of the opportunity to cut us deep by signing Newman.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Knew it'd be aTm. Stansbury has had full wood for months thinking of the opportunity to cut us deep by signing Newman.

look at their signing class- they are going Ole Miss 2013 for basketball this year

YazooDawg23
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Hmm.. So I guess Big Train doesn't hate Stans after all.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:12 PM
He is "The Recruiter"

Weren't you one of the posters saying Horatio would never let Malik play for Stans? Just be honest, don't make me search history.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 10:13 PM

cant really blame him

Coach34
Hmm.. So I guess Big Train doesn't hate Stans after all.

There are things out there that change people's minds on issues and allow them to do things they wouldnt normally do- this is one of those times.

msstate7
I hope malik chooses Kansas. It'd be painful to see him light us up

Liverpooldawg
If this happens, everyonee who wanted Stans gone should.............well.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Weren't you one of the posters saying Horatio would never let Malik play for Stans? Just be honest, don't make me search history.

I did say that. Things can make people change their mind. It is what it is. I'd let my kid play for Stands too for that kind of offer

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:17 PM
I did say that. Things can make people change their mind. It is what it is. I'd let my kid play for Stands too for that kind of offer

Haha, good ole Stans. Admit it, you miss him.

YazooDawg23
01-10-2015, 10:18 PM
You're so full of shit. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Malik would be playing with a top 5 class at A&M.

HSVDawg
01-10-2015, 10:18 PM
It really doesn't matter at all. We're not gonna be worth a shit next year with or without Newman. If by some miracle Ray is still here then we're screwed either way, and if he isn't there still isn't enough talent to put around Newman that would make the team more than an NIT contender. I don't blame "the network" at all for not investing in this cluster of a program at this current juncture.

bluelightstar
01-10-2015, 10:19 PM

What on earth are you talking about

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Again, why do we care?

One player that would be here for 1 year probably wouldn't help us very much.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 10:21 PM

I have ZERO doubt that if Stans had been kept we would have retained Rodney Hood and we would have signed Malik Newman.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:22 PM
You're so full of shit. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Malik would be playing with a top 5 class at A&M.

I said "a couple of reasons". Their recruiting class is reason #2

msstate7
01-10-2015, 10:23 PM
At this point it's probably better that malik isn't coming here. If malik signed with us, we probably keep ray. No player is worth keeping ray at this point. Sad, but true

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Again, why do we care?

One player that would be here for 1 year probably wouldn't help us very much.

It looks kinda bad when a top 5 player nationally who is a legacy of our program says FU and goes somewhere else. Not that our program could look any worse, but jesus christ why would any top player come here at this point in time.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:32 PM
It looks kinda bad when a top 5 player nationally who is a legacy of our program says FU and goes somewhere else. Not that our program could look any worse, but jesus christ why would any top player come here at this point in time.

Well thats the main thing- Ray hasnt been able to even make us a viable choice. Newman literally cant risk his future by coming to State. You cant blame him

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:34 PM
At this point it's probably better that malik isn't coming here. If malik signed with us, we probably keep ray. No player is worth keeping ray at this point. Sad, but true

Malik is a program changer. He could pack the Hump and bring attention back to the program. All Ray had to do was just show a little improvement. And just sign a couple of pieces to play with him. Ray just couldn't do it.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Well thats the main thing- Ray hasnt been able to even make us a viable choice. Newman literally cant risk his future by coming to State. You cant blame him
agree 100%

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Malik is a program changer. He could pack the Hump and bring attention back to the program. All Ray had to do was just show a little improvement. And just sign a couple of pieces to play with him. Ray just couldn't do it.

agree with this also........

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:37 PM

Looks like we posted at about the same time and I agree with your first sentence. As for your second sentence, Newman is going to be a top 5 pick no matter where he goes. He could go to Belhaven and be a top pick. He's the best player I have ever seen at the high school level and I have seen some good ones. He scored 34 last night against a team from Chicago that was double teaming him the whole game. He literally has no weakness on the offensive end.

cheewgumm
01-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Man that would be ironic if Stand pulled Newman.

Irondawg
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Just note that before we start giving Stans ton of credit for infusing TAMU with recruiting prowess, I think all those highly rated guys are from Texas.

By comparison we could have signed the top 3 players from MS the past 4 years and still might be a NIT team at best.

TAMU basically trying to flip the script on UT and it appears to be working.

Stans had lost it at MSU but if Newman goes there it would be extreme salt in the wound.

RougeDawg
01-10-2015, 10:49 PM

I mean like, why can't like Rick Ray, like land a couple good recruits. I mean like, he surely has like a great sales pitch, I mean like one that couldn't be like turned down by like a high school player.

Been saying this was his main downfall in recruiting from the first time I heard him talk. Unless Stricklin was piss drunk and stoned in the interview(s) of Ray, he should have picked up on this in the first, say, 15 seconds of the talk. Bottom line everything is on Strick. Ray shouldn't have been put in a situation to fail like this.

BankerDog
01-10-2015, 10:54 PM
The sad thing is, is there is another 5* legacy 20 minutes down the road in Columbus that we probably won't get as long as Ray is the head coach. Woodward and also Antonio McDyess' kid probably won't be coming here.

Irondawg
01-10-2015, 11:06 PM
By the same token IF nean would have committed to us last year he could have told the staff he's going public but if they can't get pieces around him that he wasn't signing. We might have been able to lure another stud or two to play with him.

Given what Ray had to sell I thought he actually did pretty well with this last class.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 11:10 PM
Malik Newman would be a fool to go to any SEC school NOT named Kentucky. That's just the facts.

Political Hack
01-10-2015, 11:17 PM

I wouldn't let my kid play basketball at State right now. I'd make him take Georgia Southern over a State offer.

Bass Chaser
01-10-2015, 11:18 PM
He should go to UK he can play with another Mississippian for a year. He would only have to play 20-30 minutes a game so less risk of injury and still be a 1st rounder.

tcdog70
01-10-2015, 11:22 PM
I said "a couple of reasons". Their recruiting class is reason #2

Hahaha. Coach way weasel out of that.Quick someone else come up with#3.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Malik Newman would be a fool to go to any SEC school NOT named Kentucky. That's just the facts.

I don't really agree with this. There are teams with talent that could surround him, and he'd be THE star. Go to kentucky for what? Play 10 mins per game on one of the "2 squads". I can see many percs of going to an SEC team that's not kentucky... n look at kentucky. Back to back OT wins vs sub par competition. It's buncha one year guys who've barely played together. Like i watch that team and think... '96 dogs would walk that ass. seriously.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Hahaha. Coach way weasel out of that.Quick someone else come up with#3.

I said:

This aint rocket surgery Pops

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 11:26 PM
I don't really agree with this. There are teams with talent that could surround him, and he'd be THE star. Go to kentucky for what? Play 10 mins per game on one of the "2 squads". I can see many percs of going to an SEC team that's not kentucky... n look at kentucky. Back to back OT wins vs sub par competition. It's buncha one year guys who've barely played together. Like i watch that team and think... '96 dogs would walk that ass. seriously.

Malik isn't going to UK. He wants to play 35 minutes a game.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 11:29 PM

Because SEC hoops suck. At Kentucky he would be playing in front of huge crowds, and he would win Championships. And no, no SEC teams have the kind of talent surrounding him that could help him get to a Final Four. He would have to do it all on his own anywhere other than UK or somewhere outside of the SEC. I hate saying that, but it's true.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Malik isn't going to UK. He wants to play 35 minutes a game.
Don't know the kid not gonna assume anything, but yea that's kinda what i meant by he can go anywhere that can surround him with above par talent and be THE MAN.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Because SEC hoops suck. At Kentucky he would be playing in front of huge crowds, and he would win Championships. And no, no SEC teams have the kind of talent surrounding him that could help him get to a Final Four. He would have to do it all on his own anywhere other than UK or somewhere outside of the SEC. I hate saying that, but it's true.

I just think you're wrong, if u surround a kid like that with even decent talent you never know what happens in the tourny. Please stop about kentucky, i realize they are the elite of elite at the moment. they are also 12 kids that never played together ever. There's some value of a core team that's put in the time together , IMO. Put him on a 18-20 win team with mostly returning starters in the SEC and I dont think it's a "bad" move.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 11:33 PM

aTm has the #2 class now and would be #1 with malik. They also signed a top 10 pg last season that played really well today against kentucky. After the nba draft decimates kentucky this year, aTm may could match their talent next season

thunderclap
01-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Who gives a shit? I wouldn't send my son to play at State.

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Who gives a shit? I wouldn't send my son to play at State.

Not arguing this point at all.

woozman
01-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Good Lord - Stans had to go. Ray was a shit hire, but no way Stans could stay here after the Sidney debacle...

woozman
01-10-2015, 11:48 PM
I have ZERO doubt that if Stans had been kept we would have retained Rodney Hood and we would have signed Malik Newman.

ZERO, huh - you 100% sure of that? I think that Hood was gone regardless and it would be hard to blame him after the Sidney coddling.

woozman
01-11-2015, 12:02 AM
He should go to UK he can play with another Mississippian for a year. He would only have to play 20-30 minutes a game so less risk of injury and still be a 1st rounder.

Ray is in over his head and needs to go, but you're reaching. I assume you're referring to Booker and he he isn't a "Mississippian" - he played in Moss Point when he started living with his father, but lived in Michigan more than in Mississippi. The KY roster is more accurate - 1 Devin Booker Guard 6-6 206 FR Grand Rapids, Mich

RealHastings
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
F*** college basketball and f*** anyone who even attempts to have a conversion with me about it. I'm done with it. That's my new philosophy, now next question.

Quaoarsking
01-11-2015, 12:29 AM
For what it's worth, Newman's career wouldn't suffer at all by choosing MSU. He's only going to college at all because the NBA won't let players declare out of high school, and he could literally pick anywhere and be one of the top picks int he 2016 draft. If he decided to go to Holmes Community College, he'd be one of the top picks. If he decided to go to some random D3 school in Maine, he'd be a top pick.

If Newman wants to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament, he was never going to come here anyway. If he doesn't care about that and just wants to go wherever for a year while he waits to become an NBA rookie, then we're just as viable of a choice as anyone else. It really doesn't make a difference if we're an NIT-quality team without him or a sub-NIT-quality without him if he doesn't care about chasing college championships.

TheDogFather
01-11-2015, 08:26 AM

"Things can make people change their mind" is code for "I was wrong".

Have you looked at "Stands" recruiting class rankings? I laughed when you made fun of him by using "Recruiter". And not because it was funny.

Johnson85
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM

He still won't be playing for stans unless stans gets an unexpected promotion. No clue if there was anything to it to begin with but him going to a place that has stans as an assistant doesn't prove anything one way or another.

Bothrops
01-11-2015, 10:37 AM
If we're ever going to be relevant in basketball again, it's going to cost money to do it. Our mission should be to get a coach with a very good head coaching pedigree interested in our program. Unfortunately, any remaining quality from our program name and brand has been lost in the last 3 and a half seasons. That makes this a tougher task to accomplish. This will be a momentous hire of significant scale, if we want the success we used to enjoy. We need someone that can give us instant improvement, not just long term.

Esmerelda Villalobos
01-11-2015, 12:32 PM
You all got what you wanted. Some folks just arent happy with an upper middle class income and a 3 year old suv.

maroonmania
01-11-2015, 02:24 PM
ZERO, huh - you 100% sure of that? I think that Hood was gone regardless and it would be hard to blame him after the Sidney coddling.

That's what I 100% believe and I'm sticking to it.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 02:54 PM
"Things can make people change their mind" is code for "I was wrong".

Have you looked at "Stands" recruiting class rankings? I laughed when you made fun of him by using "Recruiter". And not because it was funny.

No- things change. Everybody knows that. He's getting one helluva scholarship offer- that can heal alot of wounds.

Also, I know you are a Mensa member and all from your posts, but you do realize Kennedy and staff had been recruiting those kids 2-3 years already before Stands stepped foot on campus right? And that they are all from Texas??? Or you gonna tell me that Stands has owned Texas for years already while he was out of work???

HoopsDawg
01-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Also, I know you are a Mensa member and all from your posts, but you do realize Kennedy and staff had been recruiting those kids 2-3 years already before Stands stepped foot on campus right? And that they are all from Texas??? Or you gonna tell me that Stands has owned Texas for years already while he was out of work???

LOL, still can't give Stans credit can you?

YazooDawg23
01-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Coach has had a rough couple years. The shit he's thrown against the wall just isn't sticking. Finding out Deshea was calling the defense in the orange bowl was quite a coup for him.

HancockCountyDog
01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Coach has had a rough couple years. The shit he's thrown against the wall just isn't sticking. Finding out Deshea was calling the defense in the orange bowl was quite a coup for him.

Be sure to click some ads while you are here.

Also, I think Newman ends up at Kansas.

HailState39110
01-11-2015, 03:14 PM
TAMU is getting a lot of love for their 2015 class and they deserve it but lets not forget about LSUs class. they have two 5*s coming in

https://lsu.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4

Johnny Jones is a Dale Brown guy and knows how to work their system really well

YazooDawg23
01-11-2015, 03:20 PM
It's sweet of you to stick up for him. It really is. A Coach34 yes man does not equal rebel.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
TAMU is getting a lot of love for their 2015 class and they deserve it but lets not forget about LSUs class. they have two 5*s coming in

https://lsu.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4

Johnny Jones is a Dale Brown guy and knows how to work their system really well

LSU is a sleeping giant of a basketball program. I'm not sold on Johnny Jones the coach, but I am on Johnny Jones the recruiter. They are absolutely killing it and Malik is giving them a strong look too. Ben Simmons is LEGIT.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 03:31 PM
LOL, still can't give Stans credit can you?

He's a very good recruiter- it's just assinine to act like he is the sole reason for A&M's class

Coach34
01-11-2015, 03:32 PM
LSU is a sleeping giant of a basketball program. I'm not sold on Johnny Jones the coach, but I am on Johnny Jones the recruiter. They are absolutely killing it and Malik is giving them a strong look too. Ben Simmons is LEGIT.

yes he is.

TheDogFather
01-11-2015, 06:37 PM
No- things change. Everybody knows that. He's getting one helluva scholarship offer- that can heal alot of wounds.

Questions, questions.

How about we just both agree that Stansbury is an excellent recruiter? That didn't change just because we fired him - A&M's gain. But then, compared with Rick Ray's recruiting, who isn't excellent.

The Mensa comment I will take as a compliment.

Aces High
01-11-2015, 08:14 PM

Lsu cares less about basketball then almost all sec schools

headcoach98
01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
If Ray could've adjusted his coaching approach then things would've been better by now. In the South that all defense first approach at gonna cut it. Gotta let the kids get up and down the floor and score then make defensive stops when needed.

headcoach98
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM

He surely is and they add Craig Victor to a lineup with Jordan Mickey and the other former 5 star forward. If Jones messes this up he deserves to be fired lol.

shannondawg
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
That's what he said he was going to do at his press conference when he was hired...

If Ray could've adjusted his coaching approach then things would've been better by now. In the South that all defense first approach at gonna cut it. Gotta let the kids get up and down the floor and score then make defensive stops when needed.

shannondawg
01-12-2015, 10:19 AM
That is the gospel truth.

For what it's worth, Newman's career wouldn't suffer at all by choosing MSU. He's only going to college at all because the NBA won't let players declare out of high school, and he could literally pick anywhere and be one of the top picks int he 2016 draft. If he decided to go to Holmes Community College, he'd be one of the top picks. If he decided to go to some random D3 school in Maine, he'd be a top pick.

If Newman wants to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament, he was never going to come here anyway. If he doesn't care about that and just wants to go wherever for a year while he waits to become an NBA rookie, then we're just as viable of a choice as anyone else. It really doesn't make a difference if we're an NIT-quality team without him or a sub-NIT-quality without him if he doesn't care about chasing college championships.

Coach34
01-12-2015, 10:34 AM
That is the gospel truth.

Gonna have a hard time convincing them of that

CadaverDawg
01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

What great basketball player worth their salt doesn't care about winning? So you're saying, "Newman's career wouldn't suffer at all by going to MSU......unless he cares about winning"? Well yea, I'm assuming the #1 recruit in the country would want to win regardless of what level he is playing at, wouldn't you?

So in summary, going to MSU WOULD impact Newman's career. Because A) He probably wants to win, B) The more the team wins, the more exposure the individual player gets, and C) Because just like fans, most of these guys want to make the NCAA Tourney because it's a great event. I don't think Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc, would be in the running for Malik if he "didn't care about winning".

BeardoMSU
01-12-2015, 10:55 AM
What great basketball player worth their salt doesn't care about winning? So you're saying, "Newman's career wouldn't suffer at all by going to MSU......unless he cares about winning"? Well yea, I'm assuming the #1 recruit in the country would want to win regardless of what level he is playing at, wouldn't you?

So in summary, going to MSU WOULD impact Newman's career. Because A) He probably wants to win, B) The more the team wins, the more exposure the individual player gets, and C) Because just like fans, most of these guys want to make the NCAA Tourney because it's a great event. I don't think Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc, would be in the running for Malik if he "didn't care about winning".

^Logic^

shannondawg
01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
I was really only commenting on the fact that wherever he goes, the NBA will find him
, not about his desire to win, as he wouldn't have put as much work in without that desire. That better?

Always have been a fan of TAMU and would love to see him go there if not here, and if he was my kid, he wouldn't be coming here under the present situation.