PDA

View Full Version : Is an immediate firing the most merciful for all?

Irondawg
01-10-2015, 08:58 PM
The fan base has given up on him, the team clearly has some kind of internal issue going on and Ray is enduring nightly beatdowns save the one FSU miracle.

He's surely gone at te end of the year so do we let him finish it out or not?

shannondawg
01-10-2015, 09:01 PM
I wonder if the sec coaches draw straws to see who lets us win a game in the hope of us keeping him?

MSUDawg4Life
01-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I would let him finish it out. Making an emotional decision mid-season doesn't help us.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
What pisses me off above all else is the timing of this crap. This is the worst our program has been since the Boyd to Williams transition yet THIS is the year one of our former players has a son that is a Top 5 prospect in the nation and ready to make his decision. Even if we dump Ray this year this was a lost opportunity to get a player the caliber of Newman that we probably won't see again for a LONG, LONG time.

Skydawg1
01-10-2015, 09:19 PM
What pisses me off above all else is the timing of this crap. This is the worst our program has been since the Boyd to Williams transition yet THIS is the year one of our former players has a son that is a Top 5 prospect in the nation and ready to make his decision. Even if we dump Ray this year this was a lost opportunity to get a player the caliber of Newman that we probably won't see again for a LONG, LONG time.And it's kind of insult to injury to have Richard Williams doing color on the radio. Dammit, Richard, rip that headset off and get in there an coach this team the rest of the season!

Smitty
01-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Makes you wonder if FSU's Hamilton and Ray are boys and he threw him a bone. Obviously too little too late but still

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
2 Things:

1. I don't know why people care so much about Newman. We need far more than 1 player, and I doubt a one and done superstar on this team, is going to make that much difference in the overall program

2. Unless there is an assistant coach that you may want to consider for the head job, I'm not sure what good firing Ray mid-season would do. I realize people are sick of this stuff, but firing him cost more money because you have to continue to play him while also now playing an interim coach more money. Unless he does something that brings embarrassment to the university, I'd just let him dig his own grave by letting him finish the season. I'm not sure what good firing him would do other than appeasing a fan base that doesn't go to games anyway.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
2 Things:

1. I don't know why people care so much about Newman. We need far more than 1 player, and I doubt a one and done superstar on this team, is going to make that much difference in the overall program

2. Unless there is an assistant coach that you may want to consider for the head job, I'm not sure what good firing Ray mid-season would do. I realize people are sick of this stuff, but firing him cost more money because you have to continue to play him while also now paying an interim coach more money. Unless he does something that brings embarrassment to the university, I'd just let him dig his own grave by letting him finish the season. I'm not sure what good firing him would do other than appeasing a fan base that doesn't go to games anyway.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Makes you wonder if FSU's Hamilton and Ray are boys and he threw him a bone. Obviously too little too late but still

Come one.... don't be ridiculous.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
2 Things:

2. Unless there is an assistant coach that you may want to consider for the head job, I'm not sure what good firing Ray mid-season would do. I realize people are sick of this stuff, but firing him cost more money because you have to continue to play him while also now paying an interim coach more money. Unless he does something that brings embarrassment to the university, I'd just let him dig his own grave by letting him finish the season. I'm not sure what good firing him would do other than appeasing a fan base that doesn't go to games anyway.

Only way I'd fire midseason is if Richard Williams agreed to finish the year. If Richard did and did well, I might would offer him the job (assuming he'd want it)

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Stricklin really extended his contract after his first year?? If so, we are looking at 2 million to buy out Ray + another 3 million to find a new coach.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Stricklin really extended his contract after his first year?? If so, we are looking at 2 million to buy out Ray + another 3 million to find a new coach.

If he did, what's SS's buyout? Talk about a dumb move

TheRef
01-10-2015, 09:36 PM

I keep hearing this, yet I've seen NOTHING to support the claim. No announcement. No nothing. I think that is literally the biggest troll in history.

DawgPoundRock
01-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Get Greg Carter from starkville high

Irondawg
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Well a lot of it depends on how he and the team are doing. If he's completely lost the team then it might be in our best interest to go interim with brooks or something.

Lots we simply don't know beyond the fact that we are a terrible team at this moment.

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 10:07 PM

I just can not see any validity in an extension being given and nobody can verify it. Isn't an extension normally supposed to be for a head coach who is progressing (moving forward) and not hey man things will get better lets just hang in there and will finally win a few games in the SEC and the storm will eventually pass. If there was one given, though, then somebody probably needs some Psychiatric help or so it would seem.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
2 Things:

2. Unless there is an assistant coach that you may want to consider for the head job, I'm not sure what good firing Ray mid-season would do. I realize people are sick of this stuff, but firing him cost more money because you have to continue to play him while also now playing an interim coach more money. Unless he does something that brings embarrassment to the university, I'd just let him dig his own grave by letting him finish the season. I'm not sure what good firing him would do other than appeasing a fan base that doesn't go to games anyway.

I realize that we have much bigger problems than not getting one player its just that the realization that we are going to lose a legacy 5 star recruit is just the stinky turd topping to the crap sandwich we are all currently being served. And just to add, a) there is no guarantee that Newman will be one and done even if he would like to be and b) if he did come it would certainly be a big boost to bolster our recruiting with other prospects that could help us resurrect this program long term.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
I just can not see any validity in an extension being given and nobody can verify it. Isn't an extension normally supposed to be for a head coach who is progressing (moving forward) and not hey man things will get better lets just hang in there and will finally win a few games in the SEC and the storm will eventually pass. If there was one given, though, then somebody probably needs some Psychiatric help or so it would seem.

Of course it wouldn't make sense, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

cbrunt29
01-10-2015, 10:21 PM
It's been a tough few months to be a dawg. The way we finished the football season and the state our basketball team is in has got me really looking forward to baseball season... it can't get here quick enough

Irondawg
01-10-2015, 10:29 PM
In basketball one player can make a huge difference. It's easy to shake it off and say one player isn't going to help that much, but it's not true entirely. Doesn't make us an immediate title contender or anything but if we properly define roles we should immediately vault into a NIT team and could realistically have an outside shot at NCAA.

We simply lack a shooter and a playmaker with the ball so we are taking everyone out of the roles they should have and asking them to do more stuff that they simply can't do well.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 10:34 PM
In basketball one player can make a huge difference. It's easy to shake it off and say one player isn't going to help that much, but it's not true entirely. Doesn't make us an immediate title contender or anything but if we properly define roles we should immediately vault into a NIT team and could realistically have an outside shot at NCAA.

We simply lack a shooter and a playmaker with the ball so we are taking everyone out of the roles they should have and asking them to do more stuff that they simply can't do well.

One player can obviously make a huge difference in a program, that's the reason basketball recruiting for the elite players is the dirtiest business out there.