PDA

View Full Version : You're scott stricklin

msstate7
01-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Who is you first call to fill ray's shoes?
(Realistic)

I think I'd call Michael white. I know he's an OM guy, but I'd call em anyway

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 08:57 PM
(Realistic)

Dan Mullen. I'd offer him 200k to spearhead the hire and then I'd leave the country till it's done.

MSUDawg4Life
01-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Gregg Marshall.

I'm going all out full-court press on that guy. Earlier in the season he was complaining about attendance at Wichita State. Saying something about the students needed to come to the games. Bring winning basketball back to MSU and he wouldn't have to worry about attendance. Or anything else.

shoeless joe
01-10-2015, 09:00 PM
If I was Stricklin he'd already be gone and I would have put Richard Williams in charge thru the end of the year. Then I would assess the situation at that point.

I think white would be a good call to gauge interest. I also wouldn't mind someone with past ties to our program...

Coach34
01-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Open the checkbook and get a real coach. We will make money in basketball with the right guy. Go $2.5MM/year if you have to- but go get someone

msstate7
01-10-2015, 09:01 PM
If I was Stricklin he'd already be gone and I would have put Richard Williams in charge thru the end of the year. Then I would assess the situation at that point.

I think white would be a good call to gauge interest. I also wouldn't mind someone with past ties to our program...

Like Robert Kirby?

mic
01-10-2015, 09:01 PM
U
Gregg Marshall.

I'm going all out full-court press on that guy. Earlier in the season he was complaining about attendance at Wichita State. Saying something about the students needed to come to the games. Bring winning basketball back to MSU and he wouldn't have to worry about attendance. Or anything else.

He already tried. Gregg basically laughed at what we offered and how Scotty wanted him to go about running the program.. And yes that came from a source that was told directly to him by Coach Marshall.

whosyourdawgy
01-10-2015, 09:05 PM
I've never even considered firing one of our coaches during the season but we literally couldn't look any worse with a grad assistant coaching is out the rest of the season. This is the worst display of basketball these eyes have ever seen from a MSU team. Its embarrassing. Craig Sword embarrassed himself and will be Internet foder for his flop. Houston actually makes a good aggressive move on the baseline and then shoots an air ball from literally 2 feet away from the basket. This team can't score. This team runs a stagnant offense. This team needs to push the ball and try to get quick baskets because of the awful set offense but instead pulls the ball back out instead of being aggressive. And that is ALL coaching. He has taken 3 fairly decent players from freshmen to juniors and if possible, they are worse now than when they came in as freshmen. I like Ray as a person and he may be a good coach to have in the 3rd chair but he most obviously is not a head coach. I freaking hate that our basketball program is where it is and it will not get any better with this staff running things. It is time now to get things rolling to find a new coach. If not Sunday, the day after this season thankfully comes to an end.

mic
01-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Open the checkbook and get a real coach. We will make money in basketball with the right guy. Go $2.5MM/year if you have to- but go get someone

Yes.. And he doesn't have to have SEC ties or MSU ties..
The SEC is very bad in hoops. It wouldn't take long to get it turned around with the right guy..

Coach34
01-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Like Robert Kirby?

****kkkkkkkk no

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 09:14 PM
(Realistic)

Realistic? Richard Willams

bluelightstar
01-10-2015, 09:14 PM
If we have administrators who aren't going to let the basketball the "way" you have to run your basketball program these days, we might as well bury it.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Fire Ray first then worry about the other issues next. The team can't get any worse nor can this program get any worse.

Outside Dawg
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Archie Miller. Probably need Byrne to convince Sean to talk him into it.

It_Could_Happen
01-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Jeff Capel.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Anyone that was extremely vocal about firing Stans should have to go out in the hall during this discussion. :).

TheRef
01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Anyone that was extremely vocal about firing Stans should have to go out in the hall during this discussion. :).

Firing Stansbury and Hiring Ray are two COMPLETELY different things...you could be for firing Stansbury and not be for hiring Ray.

Smitty
01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Kelvin Sampson!

Lets take this to the other end of the spectrum

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Nope. You still fighting this argument? Stansbury had to go. Please for the love of gawd let it go. All that happened was the worst hire in SEC history. That doesn't change the fact that Stansbury had to go. We don't suck because we fired Stansbury. We suck because we have a moron AD.

smootness
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Whoever Butler or Xavier is planning on hiring next.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Firing Stansbury and Hiring Ray are two COMPLETELY different things...you could be for firing Stansbury and not be for hiring Ray.

Not sure why morons cant understand this

DCdawg
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
I like Mick Cronin and his intensity. I doubt he would leave Cincy and don't know if he has any ties to the South

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 09:30 PM
I like Mick Cronin and his intensity. I doubt he would leave Cincy and don't know if he has any ties to the South

No thanks. He's on a leave of absence for the rest of this year.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
On sps, sterling archer mentioned Larry eustachy. If he would come, I'd be really excited about him

War Machine Dawg
01-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Gregg Marshall.

One of my good friends is from Kansas and went to WSU for undergrad. Needless to say, he's a big WSU fan and still has ties to the school. He tells me Marshall won't go anywhere until his kids are out of school. Obviously that could change if someone like a UNC or Dook came calling and wrote a big enough check, but he's pretty entrenched at WSU otherwise.

War Machine Dawg
01-10-2015, 09:41 PM

They understand. They just have an agenda. Or if they don't understand, it's because they're trying like hell not to understand.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 09:46 PM

No they aren't. The circumstances surrounding the Stans firing are directly responsible for the caliber of the Ray hire. You don't fire a coach after a 20 win season unless you are Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, or someone like that. When you do you are branded with the dreaded "unrealistic" expectations label. We have to face the FACT that we committed suicide with our men's basketball program. Until that FACT is accepted we are and will remain screwed.

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
On sps, sterling archer mentioned Larry eustachy. If he would come, I'd be really excited about him

The drunk ass guy that just ditched USM for Colorado St.? He looks ROUGH these days. Rather have Bobby Knight if we're gonna hire old as dirt drunk asshole types.

Liverpooldawg

Because only morons belive it.

TheRef
No they aren't. The circumstances surrounding the Stans firing are directly responsible for the caliber of the Ray hire. You don't fire a coach after a 20 win season unless you are Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, or someone like that. When you do you are branded with the dreaded "unrealistic" expectations label. We have to face the FACT that we committed suicide with our men's basketball program. Until that FACT is accepted we are and will remain screwed.

Dude...they are. The two are completely independent.

IMissJack
01-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Scott owns this FUBAR situation!!!

msstate7
01-10-2015, 09:54 PM
The drunk ass guy that just ditched USM for Colorado St.? He looks ROUGH these days. Rather have Bobby Knight if we're gonna hire old as dirt drunk asshole types.

He's 15-2 this year

preachermatt83
01-10-2015, 09:55 PM
REALISTIC is the key word here.

My REALISTIC short list would be

-Bobby Hurley
-Michael White
-Kevin Willard
-Billy Donlon
-Kurtis Townsend

By the way... Basketball in the south sucks. If im looking for a coach im looking outside of the south for the most part. I could care less about SEC ties. I like to think out of the box when it comes to BB coaches.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Dude...they are. The two are completely independent.

Nope. Realistic people know that. I was a Stans fan and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'll also say that I thought he had ended his run at MSU. That being said you HAD to give him another year to ensure that you had even a slim chance of a decent hire. We committed suicide and I said so at the time. I said then it would take a decade. I hope so.

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 09:58 PM
He's 15-2 this year

He looks better now

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 09:59 PM

-Bobby Hurley
-Michael White
-Kevin Willard
-Billy Donlon
-Kurtis Townsend

By the way... Basketball in the south sucks. If im looking for a coach im looking outside of the south for the most part. I could care less about SEC ties. I like to think out of the box when it comes to BB coaches.

No, we need a coach with ties to the south. We've got to get someone who understands AAU ball down here and who can bring in some players.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM
He looks better now

Haha

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM

-Bobby Hurley
-Michael White
-Kevin Willard
-Billy Donlon
-Kurtis Townsend

Wanna think outside the box then I suggest going to Gonzaga and bringing back someone that will mimic Few's use of international players and ability to consistently have a good shooting team. I want Gonzaga 2.0 here.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Coaches didnt come because it was a dumpster fire and a total rebuild. Not because we had won 20 games. Nobody is stupid enough to believe that

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
No, we need a coach with ties to the south. We've got to get someone who understands AAU ball down here and who can bring in some players.

If we go with a Southern coach I want the dirtiest sumbitch possible. Makes Calipari and Pearl look like angels.

shoeless joe
01-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Like Robert Kirby?

Good example.

IMissJack
01-10-2015, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=HoopsDawg;318816]No, we need a coach with ties to the south. We've got to get someone who understands AAU ball down here and who can bring in some players.[/QUOTE
We have lost any draw we ever had for a name coach in the last 3 years. We will have to hire an up and coming scrapper type from a smaller school and hope he turns things around like R. Williams did. The problem is it is difficult to find those types, and certainly not one that is an alum like Williams was.

Coach34
Why would we hire a guy that literally nobody would hire as their HC. Robert Kirby hasnt even been able to get a SWAC head job. And he has interviewed for a few

IMissJack
[QUOTE=HoopsDawg;318816]No, we need a coach with ties to the south. We've got to get someone who understands AAU ball down here and who can bring in some players.[/QUOTE
We have lost any draw we ever had for a name coach in the last 3 years. We will have to hire an up and coming scrapper type from a smaller school and hope he turns things around like R. Williams did. The problem is it is difficult to find those types, and certainly not one that is an alum like Williams was.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Coaches didnt come because it was a dumpster fire and a total rebuild. Not because we had won 20 games. Nobody is stupid enough to believe that

Good coaches aren't afraid of programs that have hit bottom. They ARE afraid of what they see as unrealistic expectations. all we had to do is wait ONE year.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Why would we hire a guy that literally nobody would hire as their HC

We hired Rick Ray.

shoeless joe
01-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Why would we hire a guy that literally nobody would hire as their HC. Robert Kirby hasnt even been able to get a SWAC head job. And he has interviewed for a few

I'm not saying hire Kirby. But that I think he meets some of the criteria that is realistic. Someone who knows the state, someone who knows what we can do in basketball, and someone that is not rick ray. I don't know enough about college hoops rite now, thanks to ray, to know some of the other names that would be realistic. And I think realistic is the key word.

ScottH
01-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Ray Harper - WKU

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 10:17 PM
If we have administrators who aren't going to let the basketball the "way" you have to run your basketball program these days, we might as well bury it.

And Bracky then jumps in and says "no, you can't do that". This has probably been answered before, but why can't we get a good Attorney over Compliance, that knows the ropes of how recruiting actually works in reality.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 10:19 PM
We hired Rick Ray.

So you want Strick to make the same mistake twice???

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Nope. Realistic people know that. I was a Stans fan and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'll also say that I thought he had ended his run at MSU. That being said you HAD to give him another year to ensure that you had even a slim chance of a decent hire. We committed suicide and I said so at the time. I said then it would take a decade. I hope so.

Stans really screwed up when he kicked the wrong player off the team and let the Sidney show turn into a three ring circus.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:41 PM
So you want Strick to make the same mistake twice???

THIS firing everyone will understand. The literal million dollar question is has the stigma of what we did with the last one worn off yet. If it hasn't expect another Ray hire: I.E.: paying WAY over market for what we get.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Stans really screwed up when he kicked the wrong player off the team and let the Sidney show turn into a three ring circus.

If Stans kicks off Sidney and keeps Bailey, he is probably still our coach. And this thread would be a 7 page thread of Coach34 bitching about Stans instead of everyone else bitching about our program.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:45 PM

From everything I have ever heard, and I have VERY good sources, the right guy was kicked off at that time. Now if you want to argue OTHERS should have been booted MUCH earlier, THAT I might agree with.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 10:49 PM
If Stans kicks off Sidney and keeps Bailey, he is probably still our coach. And this thread would be a 7 page thread of Coach34 bitching about Stans instead of everyone else bitching about our program.

NOPE. If he had done that we might not have had enough players to finish that year. There has never been a bigger disconnect between what the fans thought and what was actually the case at any school anywhere. I can't reveal my sources but they were VERY good. The guy that was booted should have been booted LONG before. If he had, we might not be where we are now.

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 10:54 PM
NOPE. If he had done that we might not have had enough players to finish that year. There has never been a bigger disconnect between what the fans thought and what was actually the case at any school anywhere. I can't reveal my sources but they were VERY good. The guy that was booted should have been booted LONG before. If he had, we might not be where we are now.

Yea Bailey might should of been kicked off but Sidney definitely should have been for just being a worthless pile of dogshit.

Bully13
01-10-2015, 10:55 PM
at this point, if stricklin is still the AD when a change is made, whomever is offered the job can just pull down their pants and start slapping their johnson back and forth on stricklin's chin demanding 3 million a year.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 10:57 PM
If I was Scott Stricklin, I would fire Ray tonight, pay Richard Williams a good sum to be our interim, and start getting the word out that we will pay 2.5 million plus to our next coach if we find the right guy. And I start putting my feelers out to agents.

Or....I fire myself for sitting on my hands and watching this pile of dog shit steam in my living room.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Yea Bailey might should of been kicked off but Sidney definitely should have been for just being a worthless pile of dogshit.

That I won't argue with. The trouble started way before that though. If you want to be legit when you go after Stans you need to go back a bit farther than Sid and Bailey. Some of THOSE guys are saints according to many here and elsewhere. That's why
Stans was caught between a rock and a hard place. That's why WE are paying the price too. in all honesty we may deserve a lot of what we are getting right now. Some of it was forced by US.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Eustachy makes 900k. We pay ray a million. Eustachy is a proven winner. He's won at usm. He's been an assistant coach here before. I think we should offer him 2 million a year and be done with it

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Eustachy makes 900k. We pay ray a million. Eustachy is a proven winner. He's won at usm. He's been an assistant coach here before. I think we should offer him 2 million a year and be done with it

I would be fine with that.

engie
01-10-2015, 11:15 PM

I'd be fine with Eustachy -- but he isn't worth $2mil. He's someone I feel pretty confident we could get for less.

From my post in another thread. These just being midmajor head coaches currently with good records that have bodies of work to go along with it. I'm sure there's a bunch of great midmajor coaches I'm overlooking. If Strick would really be willing to pay $2mil+, we can add a bunch of names to the list...

Ray Harper would be a good option...
Ben Jacobson
Archie Miller
Chris Jans
Mike Lonergan
Randy Bennett
Make another run at Bryce Drew or Steve Prohm
Brian Wardle
Bobby Hurley
Brad Underwood
Dan Hurley
Chris Mack
Tim Floyd(LOL Bracky)
Eustachy(LOLLLLL Bracky)
Rob Murphy
Keith Dambrot
Michael White(LOLe Miss)
Tim Cluess

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 11:21 PM
I'd be fine with Eustachy -- but he isn't worth $2mil. He's someone I feel pretty confident we could get for less.

From my post in another thread. These just being midmajor head coaches currently with good records that have bodies of work to go along with it. I'm sure there's a bunch of great midmajor coaches I'm overlooking. If Strick would really be willing to pay $2mil+, we can add a bunch of names to the list...

Ben Jacobson
Archie Miller
Chris Jans
Mike Lonergan
Randy Bennett
Brian Wardle
Bobby Hurley
Brad Underwood
Dan Hurley
Chris Mack
Tim Floyd(LOL Bracky)
Eustachy(LOLLLLL Bracky)
Rob Murphy
Keith Dambrot
Michael White(LOLe Miss)
Tim Cluess

Narrow that list down to people with ties to the South.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 11:21 PM
We could get Eustachy for 1.5 pretty easily- no need to overpay

We just need to make sure we offer what's needed on the front end to get top guy

engie
01-10-2015, 11:24 PM
The more I read, the more I really like Jacobson.

Took over Northern Iowa from Greg McDermott and has won at a higher clip there. Took them to a Sweet 16, currently at 14-2 with a 6 pt loss @ VCU and a 3 point loss @ Evansville. RPI #12 with predicted finalRPI of #14. Could probably get pretty cheap.
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/schedule/Northern-Iowa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Jacobson

Also like the idea of Chris Jans, who was top assistant to Greg Marshall over his whole career at Wichita before taking the Bowling Green job this year, but there isn't that much data on him as a head coach...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Jans

tcdog70
01-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Damn right I'm with you on this one.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 11:25 PM
We could get Eustachy for 1.5 pretty easily- no need to overpay

We just need to make sure we offer what's needed on the front end to get top guy

Even better. Make it happen

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 11:26 PM

Ben Jacobson
Archie Miller
Chris Jans
Mike Lonergan
Randy Bennett
Brian Wardle
Bobby Hurley
Brad Underwood
Dan Hurley
Chris Mack
Tim Floyd(LOL Bracky)
Eustachy(LOLLLLL Bracky)
Rob Murphy
Keith Dambrot
Michael White(LOLe Miss)
Tim Cluess

Is Bracky kin to somebody in our administration? This has probably been answered before, but why can't we get a good Attorney over Compliance, that knows the ropes of how recruiting actually works in reality.

tcdog70
01-10-2015, 11:28 PM
****kkkkkkkk no

But you were a Rick Ray supporter, until it looked so stupid that you had to swallow hard and flip.

engie
01-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Narrow that list down to people with ties to the South.

Ties to the south shouldn't be a precursor IMO. If a guy has "it", he has it. Pay for assistants with ties to the south and let them do their thing. What ties did Bruce Pearl have before Tennessee got him? Cal before Memphis? Just get the right guy period...

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Ties to the south shouldn't be a precursor IMO. If a guy has "it", he has it. Pay for assistants with ties to the south and let them do their thing. What ties did Bruce Pearl have before Tennessee got him? Cal before Memphis? Just get the right guy period...

Cal is a horrible example b/c UK recruits nationally and he was an NBA head coach. Don't take it from me, take it from Richard Williams. He said on H2H that we need someone who understands the type of athlete/basketball player in the South b/c they are different from the type of player Ray coached at Purdue.

engie
01-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Cal is a horrible example b/c UK recruits nationally and he was an NBA head coach. Don't take it from me, take it from Richard Williams. He said on H2H that we need someone who understands the type of athlete/basketball player in the South b/c they are different from the type of player Ray coached at Purdue.

HoopsDawg pls. I'm not talking about Cal at Kentucky. He'd obviously been in the south for nearly a decade at that point.

A great college coach figures out what he needs to do recruiting-wise to win down here. And they figure it out fast. Doesn't matter if they were coaching at Maine previously.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 11:38 PM
HoopsDawg pls. I'm not talking about Cal at Kentucky. He'd obviously been in the south for nearly a decade at that point.

A great college coach figures out what he needs to do recruiting-wise to win down here. And they figure it out fast. Doesn't matter if they were coaching at Maine previously.

Cal is still a stupid fckn example. We need someone who understand recruiting in the South.

tcdog70
01-10-2015, 11:47 PM

You are correct, The Players wanted Bailey gone not Sidney

JohnnyQuid
01-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Nope. You still fighting this argument? Stansbury had to go. Please for the love of gawd let it go. All that happened was the worst hire in SEC history. That doesn't change the fact that Stansbury had to go. We don't suck because we fired Stansbury. We suck because we have a moron AD.

I don't disagree that the situation Stans created for himself wasn't bad, but fireable at that time? I'm not so sure. Looking back was prolly a horrible decision. Would it have been worse letting him have a year, see what happens, and in that time start a search for a coach in case the ship wasn't righted? I just think the whole thing was a panic fire/hire. It created dissension within the fanbase and did it help us move to another level at all? I think that would be a hard case to argue at this point. I'll admit I'm a Stans guy, and have family friends who were more than decent in terms of boosters to MBK who since has ceased. In short, "shoulda/coulda been handled better"

smootness
01-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Miller, Mack, or Prohm would be a home run to me. I know those may not be easy to pull, but they are all at least realistically in play. Mack would be the toughest.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Some of this sounds exactly like the discussion of who we were going to "get" when we fired Stans. Hope so.

engie
01-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Cal is still a stupid fckn example. We need someone who understand recruiting in the South.

Cal understood "recruiting in the south" prior to heading to Memphis? He "had ties to the south"? That was, after all, the pre-cursor you put in for the search...

Your inability to read doesn't make the example incorrect in any way whatsoever, nor does it make it a bad one.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 12:03 AM
But you were a Rick Ray supporter, until it looked so stupid that you had to swallow hard and flip.

I'll support any of our coaches until they prove they arent the person for the job

JohnnyQuid
01-11-2015, 12:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YsXaUZn.jpg

HoopsDawg
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Cal understood "recruiting in the south" prior to heading to Memphis? He "had ties to the south"? That was, after all, the pre-cursor you put in for the search...

Your inability to read doesn't make the example incorrect in any way whatsoever, nor does it make it a bad one.

We aren't Memphis genius.

And you know better than Richard Williams right. In your mind, you probably think u do.

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 01:01 AM
The more I read, the more I really like Jacobson.

Took over Northern Iowa from Greg McDermott and has won at a higher clip there. Took them to a Sweet 16, currently at 14-2 with a 6 pt loss @ VCU and a 3 point loss @ Evansville. RPI #12 with predicted finalRPI of #14. Could probably get pretty cheap.
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/schedule/Northern-Iowa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Jacobson

Also like the idea of Chris Jans, who was top assistant to Greg Marshall over his whole career at Wichita before taking the Bowling Green job this year, but there isn't that much data on him as a head coach...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Jans

I want a younger coach. How old are these two?

TrueMaroon
01-11-2015, 01:26 AM

Im sick of seeing this excuse; did Shaka Smart want to come here? No, but that doesnt mean our job was a graveyard. Scott failed miserably and the blame lies on him and any administration that hired Ray.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2015, 01:34 AM
Im sick of seeing this excuse; did Shaka Smart want to come here? No, but that doesnt mean our job was a graveyard. Scott failed miserably and the blame lies on him and any administration that hired Ray.

Yep. I can all but guarantee you that whoever our next coach is, we could have hired when we hired Ray. We just had to pay. The problem was, when our situation was THAT bad, you have to open your wallet. Stricklin wanted his cake and eat it too, so he tried to get a big name for a low price. When nobody big bit, and Keenum shot down Payne, Stricklin decided to play the "I'm smarter than everyone" game and go with an unknown that had no business getting our job.

We could have gotten several good coaches out there, but you can't be a cheap ass when your program is steaming pile of dung.

YazooDawg23
01-11-2015, 01:48 AM
The reason Kirby did not get those SWAC jobs is because they could not pay him enough to make it worth him leaving a lead assistant job in the SEC. It's the SWAC for Christ sakes. Hiring him would make a lot of sense. It really hurt Stans when he left and when we hire him and he's winning 20 games a year I fully expect Coach34 to bitch to everyone who will listen.

Ralph
01-11-2015, 02:06 AM
If I were Scott I would hire a no name assistant coach from the ACC...wait

But seriously I hope the big donors demand more oversight on Stricklin this time around. The guy can put together a baseball park for sure, but hiring big 3 coaches Im not confident.

Unfortunately Im out of the loop on current coaches. I grew up going to every single game from mid-80's until I graduated and relocated in 2004. I knew the first year ray wasn't the guy so sadly I haven't been able to stomach watching in a couple years. Sucks.

sbcmortgageman
01-11-2015, 07:46 AM
What about Wayne Brent at JSU? He'd have the JPS players locked up and knows his way around the MS high schools.

msstate7
01-11-2015, 08:05 AM
What about Wayne Brent at JSU? He'd have the JPS players locked up and knows his way around the MS high schools.

I'd rather hire eustachy and get Brent as a top assistant.

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 10:09 AM
You are correct, The Players wanted Bailey gone not Sidney

Hence more of inmates running the asylum. Sidney was a cancer that had infiltrated the entire program.

gravedigger
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Realistic? Richard Willams

Understand something. Richard williams is NOT realistic.

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 10:18 AM
But the VERY good sources......

engie
01-11-2015, 11:10 AM
We aren't Memphis genius.
The only reason you say think this is due to the extent that Cal won there. We aren't Tennessee either, genius. Wait, that coach is at Auburn now -- and we are them.

It's funny when people can't read -- then roll with the argument regardless.

And you know better than Richard Williams right. In your mind, you probably think u do.
Richard Williams never said we need a "southern coach". He said we need a coach that understands that you have to recruit differently down here. Those are two very different things.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
The reason Kirby did not get those SWAC jobs is because they could not pay him enough to make it worth him leaving a lead assistant job in the SEC. It's the SWAC for Christ sakes. Hiring him would make a lot of sense. It really hurt Stans when he left and when we hire him and he's winning 20 games a year I fully expect Coach34 to bitch to everyone who will listen.

We're not hiring Robert Kirby to be our HC

engie
01-11-2015, 12:07 PM
I want a younger coach. How old are these two?

Chris Jans is 46, Jacobson is 44

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Chris Jans is 46, Jacobson is 44

Not bad. What about Dave Rose BYU HC? He's 57 but his record at BYU is very impressive. They lead the nation in scoring this year at 87 points a game.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 01:28 PM
I think we need a guy in his 40's

HoopsDawg
01-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I think we need a guy in his 40's

We probably should just hire Kenny Payne and upgrade our talent level. Then bring in an established coach if Payne isn't winning. Should make it easier to attract a good, established coach if he knows he is inheriting a talented team. If we do this, we can get back to having a competitive team in about 5 years.

engie
01-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Not bad. What about Dave Rose BYU HC? He's 57 but his record at BYU is very impressive. They lead the nation in scoring this year at 87 points a game.

I wouldn't be opposed to him. He's had some really good teams there. But it seems hard to hire away from the Mormons for whatever reason...

Here's reference material for some teams. Granted "this year" doesn't tell the whole story on coaches, so it's possible some really good coaches don't have great teams this year, and really mediocre coaches have good teams. So, it requires more than a glance...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150111-nmhm-85kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150111-nmhm-85kb)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150111-mubz-49kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150111-mubz-49kb)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150111-aico-58kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150111-aico-58kb)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150111-uqny-58kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150111-uqny-58kb)

tcdog70
01-11-2015, 02:23 PM

I know this goes back a while. But Bob Boyd told me that his biggest mistake was not understanding the Culture of the South. It was his Major drawback in Recruiting.

tcdog70
01-11-2015, 02:27 PM
I'll support any of our coaches until they prove they arent the person for the job

Stands says Thanks for all your Support. Ray wasn't worth a shit from the get go.

BiscuitEater
01-11-2015, 02:31 PM

laugh out loud Post in this thread ... 'cause I still remember the hundreds of posts on SPS you made "listing" all those coaches 'ready and willing' to come to State to take over the BB program.

You were WRONG then and you're wrong NOW.

32 Dive
01-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Random thoughts:

1.35 mil should be a good starting point for State. But Eustachy's age may go against our model of "up and comer."

We either need to be committed to Men's basketball, or be committed to having an empty Humphrey Coliseum.

I'm afraid Stricklin was trying to mimic Byrne, with a "Mullenesque" out of the box hire. He couldn't have missed any further, without actually hiring Robert Kirby.

Stricken needs to contritely give a "My Bad," and go a different route.

tcdog70
01-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Hence more of inmates running the asylum. Sidney was a cancer that had infiltrated the entire program.

No argument about RS. But this is about Bailey and Him starting the fight and the players not liking Him.

BiscuitEater
01-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Some of this sounds exactly like the discussion of who we were going to "get" when we fired Stans.

We just 'screwed' up the last search by firing Stans BEFORE we had a decent replacement committed. Hopefully, Strick had learned from his mistake and now knows that he needs find the 'NEXT' coach BEFORE he fires Ray.

Y'all can make all these 'wish lists' you want but the key is contacting agents and REALLY finding out 'who' is willing to take the job and for 'how' much.

BiscuitEater
01-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Ben Jacobson
Archie Miller
Chris Jans
Mike Lonergan
Randy Bennett
Brian Wardle
Bobby Hurley
Brad Underwood
Dan Hurley
Chris Mack
Tim Floyd(LOL Bracky)
Eustachy(LOLLLLL Bracky)
Rob Murphy
Keith Dambrot
Michael White(LOLe Miss)
Tim Cluess

To the hundreds of Coach34 Posts on SPS with all those names of coaches 'itching' to come to Miss'ippi State to take over the BB program. Names all 'evaporated' ... we ended up with Ray.

msstate7
01-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Random thoughts:

1.35 mil should be a good starting point for State. But Eustachy's age may go against our model of "up and comer."

We either need to be committed to Men's basketball, or be committed to having an empty Humphrey Coliseum.

I'm afraid Stricklin was trying to mimic Byrne, with a "Mullenesque" out of the box hire. He couldn't have missed any further, without actually hiring Robert Kirby.

Stricken needs to contritely give a "My Bad," and go a different route.

I just think we've no margin for error with this hire. Eustachy has won at Iowa state, usm, and Colorado state (15-2 this year). You know what you're getting with eustachy. He's familiar with this region of the country and our school (assistant here before). I don't care about his age (59). Calapari is 55. Coach k is 67. Bill self is 52. Rick Barnes is 60. Steve fisher is 69. You don't have to be in your 40s to be successful. Give me eustachy...

IMissJack
01-11-2015, 03:31 PM
We just 'screwed' up the last search by firing Stans BEFORE we had a decent replacement committed. Hopefully, Strick had learned from his mistake and now knows that he needs find the 'NEXT' coach BEFORE he fires Ray.

Y'all can make all these 'wish lists' you want but the key is contacting agents and REALLY finding out 'who' is willing to take the job and for 'how' much.
M State basketball firing was handled as bad as any I have seen, for a coach that had really done a lot for MSU. I'm not saying he was perfect, and the last 2 years showed some problems. But, it was handled stupidly, and everyone on here and SPS that kept spouting the BS that another coach could make us an elite program deserve some credit too. There are plenty of programs that would have loved to have what we had under Stansbury. Could someone else take us further, maybe, but we will never know because of how we poured gasoline on the dumpster and Scott lit the match with a stupid hire that no one could understand at the time, and now looks ridiculous.

engie
01-11-2015, 03:33 PM
To the hundreds of Coach34 Posts on SPS with all those names of coaches 'itching' to come to Miss'ippi State to take over the BB program. Names all 'evaporated' ... we ended up with Ray.

So, are you in favor of keeping Ray now? Or just trying to devolve the thread into a pointless argument about the past?

You are welcome to add your thoughts on where we need to go from here.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 03:42 PM
laugh out loud Post in this thread ... 'cause I still remember the hundreds of posts on SPS you made "listing" all those coaches 'ready and willing' to come to State to take over the BB program.

You were WRONG then and you're wrong NOW.

What? What list "ready and willing" to come?

Coach34
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM

more hyperbole

We listed names of coaches- but we never said they were "itching" to come to State. Shaka Smart for example- we called him and he said $3MM. We then said "take care buddy and good luck to you."

You cant let Stands make the program a dumpster fire and then bitch when it's alot harder to hire a coach. The key is to make a change before the program turns to shit

Coach34
01-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Also:

Alot of the names brought up by D@A and myself were posted BEFORE they blew up. We had been listing people for years. Dont let Smart make the Final Four at a mid-major and then think you are going to hire him. You have to recognize coaching talent before they hit it big. Which obviously none of the Stands Sheep can do

YazooDawg23
01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
The way Strick told those guys he wanted the program run was the reason a lot of the names that came up passed.

Coach34
01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
The way Strick told those guys he wanted the program run was the reason a lot of the names that came up passed.

on this- we agree. Our problems in hiring were much more related to the AD's search and the shape of the program than us just being "Mississippi State" or what Stands had done here

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Hmmm another reason SS seat should be just as hot as RR and RR doesn't have a seat anymore it's all burnt up.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Hmmm another reason SS seat should be just as hot as RR and RR doesn't have a seat anymore it's all burnt up.

No, the guys post isn't true. Stricklin didn't want Kenny Payne for that reason, but he wasn't giving out mandates to any real candidates. Stricklin has been a good AD except for this one hire. It was his first major hire, hopefully he has learned from it. Foley at UF has made several bad hires.

maroonmania
01-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Well, last time we didn't HAVE to fire Stans. Heck, we actually made post-season play that season. So yes, we should have had a replacement pretty much lined up if we were going to take the option to let Stans go. THIS TIME, assuming we don't even reach double digit wins I don't see that we really have any choice but to fire Ray whether we have somebody else lined up or not. If we don't there will be absolutely nobody buying any tickets or supporting the program next year.

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 05:06 PM
No argument about RS. But this is about Bailey and Him starting the fight and the players not liking Him.

Which is indicative of the culture of the program. How could a group of players like Sydney with what he brought to the table? Probably means those players were a lot like him....

Dawg61
01-12-2015, 12:38 AM
No, the guys post isn't true. Stricklin didn't want Kenny Payne for that reason, but he wasn't giving out mandates to any real candidates. Stricklin has been a good AD except for this one hire. It was his first major hire, hopefully he has learned from it. Foley at UF has made several bad hires.

The issue is how he is painting the picture when he speaks to candidates and what he's insisting be done. In no other sport when he is hiring is he ever having a conversation about keeping the program out of trouble, shy away from the AAU system etc... Yet he feels the need to talk about the NCAA and staying out of trouble when he's interviewing men's bball candidates. That HAS TO STOP! At now point in time should SS be painting us negatively to a candidate and he CAN NOT tell candidates to shy away from AAU. That's like telling a golf coach to not recruit players that play on grass.