PDA

View Full Version : WTH? Sobiesk quit?

State82
01-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Is that correct and was it expected? If so I guess I missed that info.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Dang dude wouldn't put his kicking career (going nowhere) in front of dental school***

Good luck in dental school Evan.

Political Hack
01-10-2015, 04:02 PM
man, that sucks. didn't realize that was coming. that's a problem.

Quaoarsking
01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
If this is true, do we go back to Bell next year? Or the Graves guy that kicked a couple of times this year?

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Huge blow to our kicking game. Finally built a little trust with our FG kicker and now he's moving on. Understand given he wants to start dental school but we are back to square one now in that department. Sorry but Bell and Graves don't instill much confidence with me. To me, if we are losing Sobiesk, that's the biggest single loss we face in personnel for next year because we have nobody left or coming in that we know nearly as good.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
It's true...headed to dental school. College FB is a helluva commitment- even for kickers

State82
01-10-2015, 04:18 PM
It's true...headed to dental school. College FB is a helluva commitment- even for kickers

Understandable. Even with a NFL leg he won't knock down the kind of jack he can pull as a top notch DMD. Best of luck to him.

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 04:23 PM
This thread is hilarious when you consider how much shit we all have talked about our kickers since forever.

chef dixon
01-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Congrats to him. Did realize he was already finishing his bachelors degree. I thought he was a sophmore.

Dawgowar
01-10-2015, 04:27 PM

So does Kathy Ireland have a daughter with any kicking skills?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSU0QF2rUs

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
This thread is hilarious when you consider how much shit we all have talked about our kickers since forever.

Exactly, that's why it was going to be nice to go into a season, for the first time in what seems forever, with a FG kicker we felt good about. That's shot to hell now.

rrog17
01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Can Mullen not go out and find a juco kicker who can make PATs and FGs from 45 yds in?

bulldawg28
01-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Can Mullen not go out and find a juco kicker who can make PATs and FGs from 45 yds in?

This

MadisonDawg
01-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Congrats to him. Did realize he was already finishing his bachelors degree. I thought he was a sophmore.

Junior in school, only has 9 hours left after this spring semester.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2015, 05:20 PM
So does Kathy Ireland have a daughter with any kicking skills?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSU0QF2rUs

Shit.....I'd take Kathy in her prime any day. Definition of a Bad-B.

Dawgowar
01-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Shit.....I'd take Kathy in her prime any day. Definition of a Bad-B.

She's a billionaire now. Developed a lot of different businesses. But was/is a Bad-B. As in see picture next to the definition in the dictionary.

Bo Darville
01-10-2015, 05:28 PM
This has been rumored for several weeks. It was discussed on genes page a week or two ago. If Rosebowl knew Sobes was leaving, then obviously Mullen did.

It's possible Mullen brings in a juco now, or more likely goes with the status quo through the spring and brings in a juco for the fall if necessary. Reed James is a real possibility. Juco players do not have to get an associates degree if they were academically eligible out of high school.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 05:32 PM
This has been rumored for several weeks. It was discussed on genes page a week or two ago. If Rosebowl knew Sobes was leaving, then obviously Mullen did.

It's possible Mullen brings in a juco now, or more likely goes with the status quo through the spring and brings in a juco for the fall if necessary. Reed James is a real possibility. Juco players do not have to get an associates degree if they were academically eligible out of high school.

Mullen will respond by signing another punter.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2015, 05:33 PM
But was/is a Bad-B. As in see picture next to the definition in the dictionary.

There are a lot of pictures next to that definition, lol, but she is definitely one of them. Speaking of that, we should have a "Bad-B Thread" sometime....that would be fun.

Dawg61
01-10-2015, 05:50 PM
There are a lot of pictures next to that definition, lol, but she is definitely one of them. Speaking of that, we should have a "Bad-B Thread" sometime....that would be fun.

We did and C34 put a bunch of grandmas up vs one Victoria Secret model.

RougeDawg
01-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Hmmm.

Give up another year ( last year of career) of football on a team that will be in discussion for the West and playoffs next year? Many on here and around the nation would kill for an opportunity like that.

Or put off something you will be doing the rest of your life?

Something just doesn't add up here. Someone who had been down a similar road must not have given any words of advice. A dental career will be there when football is over. Real head scratcher when you look at it from an logical perspective.

JohnGalt
01-10-2015, 06:05 PM

That. Is. Funny.

Mullen always has to be too clever by a half, as if he longs for Chip Kelly status. If we have a play that works early on in a game, you won't see it again. Much less a wrinkle off of it.

Here, you don't even have to scout a replacement. Get the stat sheet from JUCO, and if the kid is 80% from 40 and in, sign him up.

I'm relieved with decision. More than a few times his missed 30 yarder was the crucial momentum change in the game. I hope he's cooler standing over someone with a drill in his hand.

It wasn't working. Glad he pulled the pin.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 06:09 PM

If bell can't kick, he should be encouraged to transfer. No reason to have 2 scholarship punters esp considering we shanked punts all day at bama

Really Clark?
01-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Hmmm.

Give up another year ( last year of career) of football on a team that will be in discussion for the West and playoffs next year? Many on here and around the nation would kill for an opportunity like that.

Something just doesn't add up here. Someone who had been down a similar road must not have given any words of advice. A dental career will be there when football is over. Real head scratcher when you look at it from an logical perspective.

I disagree. That's not a logical perspective that's your perspective. His pro's and con's may be very different than someone else's. He has to do what he believes is right for him at the time. I know a lot of people who have transferred from programs or quit a sport because it was right for them to do so. And a lot of them don't regret it. Some miss the game and/or brotherhood. But do not regret the decision. Good luck to him and glad to have had him as a part of the team. He had a fine year.

msstate7
01-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Hmmm.

Maybe he has a kid to support

Maybe he's engaged or married and ready to support her

Maybe he just doesn't like football

Maybe he got tired of jerks like us on state message boards making fun of him and our other kickers.

Who knows? I do know dentistry is his future not football, so I don't blame him one bit.

Really Clark?
01-10-2015, 06:15 PM
That. Is. Funny.

Mullen always has to be too clever by a half, as if he longs for Chip Kelly status. If we have a play that works early on in a game, you won't see it again. Much less a wrinkle off of it.

Here, you don't even have to scout a replacement. Get the stat sheet from JUCO, and if the kid is 80% from 40 and in, sign him up.

I'm relieved with decision. More than a few times his missed 30 yarder was the crucial momentum change in the game. I hope he's cooler standing over someone with a drill in his hand.

It wasn't working. Glad he pulled the pin.

He was third in the league this year. Don't confuse his struggles from last year. And one of his two misses this year was over 40 if I'm not mistaken.

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 06:43 PM

Didn't Freeze find a highly rated high school (possibly JUCO-I can't remember) kicker on the internet, his first year at OM?

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Didn't Freeze find a highly rated high school (possibly JUCO-I can't remember) kicker on the internet, his first year at OM?

That was Eddie O.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
If bell can't kick, he should be encouraged to transfer. No reason to have 2 scholarship punters esp considering we shanked punts all day at bama

Agree, and we could use the extra scholarship on a kicker. Of course we already lost Blakenship to UGA. We might could have gotten him if we had offered a scholarship.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM

everybody gets their chance to vote Junior

yjnkdawg
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
That was Eddie O.

LOL My bad. I remember now.

Dallas_Dawg
01-10-2015, 07:27 PM
What about the Starkville kicker. Michael Godley? Is he in the 2015 class?

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 07:36 PM
What about the Starkville kicker. Michael Godley? Is he in the 2015 class?

hopefully we can get him to walk on.

Dallas_Dawg
01-10-2015, 07:38 PM
hopefully we can get him to walk on.
Hopefully we don't eff it up and get him in. He has a strong leg and a lot of confidence

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Hopefully we don't eff it up and get him in. He has a strong leg and a lot of confidence

You have to be careful giving scholarships to kickers unless you have seen them kick off the ground instead of a tee.

DudyDawg
01-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Hmmm.

Did you just say someone doing something for what will be their livelihood and career over committing the time and effort to something that is purely for fun is NOT logical? What

Dallas_Dawg
01-10-2015, 07:41 PM
You have to be careful giving scholarships to kickers unless you have seen them kick off the ground instead of a tee.
He has made videos of himself kicking off the ground as well as some trick kick videos. Hell, they should be able to check him out weekly now if they want, he's in Vegas after all

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
He has made videos of himself kicking off the ground as well as some trick kick videos. Hell, they should be able to check him out weekly now if they want, he's in Vegas after all

We are kind of backed into a corner so we may have to offer him even though numbers are tight.

MabenMaroon
01-10-2015, 07:57 PM
I am pretty sure Michael Godley kicked from off the ground, his kicking was gang busters through the the first 7/8 games of the year but kind of tailed off late in the season. The talk around StarkVegas is that he is interested in soccer more than football, don't know how true that is, I have never spoken with him or anybody close to him.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Had Sobiesk been put on scholarship?? He comes from a well to do family so he probably didn't really need one. Certainly hope we didn't have THREE kickers on scholarship. Bottom line is I'm not sure Sobiesk leaving frees up a scholly.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Had Sobiesk been put on scholarship?? He comes from a well to do family so he probably didn't really need one. Certainly hope we didn't have THREE kickers on scholarship. Bottom line is I'm not sure Sobiesk leaving frees up a scholly.

No, he was on an academic scholarship.

Todd4State
01-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm speaking from experience when I type this. Nevermind the fact that he plays football, I don't understand why ANYBODY would want to graduate from college early to go to a professional school. What's the rush? We get four years in college to enjoy- which for me were the best and most fun years of my life. When I went to UMC, we had class from 8-3:30 everyday with a lunch break except for Friday when we went from 8-12. And then you have to go home and study- well, you do if you want to do well. And you do that five days a week. It's not like MSU where you had a class at 10 or 11 so you could sleep in and then maybe one at 2 PM and then if you could work it out you might be able to get Friday's off and then you spend most of the rest of your time hanging out with your friends and partying. At UMC we very rarely hung out and if we did it was in Fondren for lunch- usually at Quizno's because that was what we could afford and it was quick. If it was Friday, we might do Keifer's or La Cazuala. (We were poor)

Dental school can wait. And I would tell him- if he doesn't want to play football, that's fine just leave with your head held high- but I wouldn't go off to dental school. He's not going to impress anybody at UMC leaving after three years. He can take bass fishing and basket weaving his senior year and they're not going to care.

And I'll add this too- as far as academics go, UMC was the most difficult thing I ever did in my life from that standpoint. They say it gets easier the longer you are in the program, but what really happens is you just get used to the intensity of it. But I wouldn't say it's any easier. You just learn not to study the night before.

MSUDawg4Life
01-10-2015, 08:41 PM
What's the deal with JJ McGrath? He still has a picture of him with a MSU jersey on his Twitter. Still has Michigan picture up too. I know he wanted a scholarship. Is it possible that he was asked to grayshirt last semester? Does anybody know what actually happened with this kid and does he have a chance to possibly kick for us next year?

MSUDawg4Life
01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm speaking from experience when I type this. Nevermind the fact that he plays football, I don't understand why ANYBODY would want to graduate from college early to go to a professional school. What's the rush? We get four years in college to enjoy- which for me were the best and most fun years of my life. When I went to UMC, we had class from 8-3:30 everyday with a lunch break except for Friday when we went from 8-12. And then you have to go home and study- well, you do if you want to do well. And you do that five days a week. It's not like MSU where you had a class at 10 or 11 so you could sleep in and then maybe one at 2 PM and then if you could work it out you might be able to get Friday's off and then you spend most of the rest of your time hanging out with your friends and partying. At UMC we very rarely hung out and if we did it was in Fondren for lunch- usually at Quizno's because that was what we could afford and it was quick. If it was Friday, we might do Keifer's or La Cazuala. (We were poor)

Dental school can wait. And I would tell him- if he doesn't want to play football, that's fine just leave with your head held high- but I wouldn't go off to dental school. He's not going to impress anybody at UMC leaving after three years. He can take bass fishing and basket weaving his senior year and they're not going to care.

And I'll add this too- as far as academics go, UMC was the most difficult thing I ever did in my life from that standpoint. They say it gets easier the longer you are in the program, but what really happens is you just get used to the intensity of it. But I wouldn't say it's any easier. You just learn not to study the night before.

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/kanye-blank-stare.gif

You can't be serious.

College was the best years of my life too, but ... come on.

preachermatt83
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Hahahahaha!! That's funny!!

preachermatt83
01-10-2015, 09:10 PM

THIS^^^^^^^

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Can anyone explain to me why we will have 2 kickers on scholarship for a 2 year period, this year and next, and they are both punters (Bell and Cooke)? If one of these guys can't be a placekicker then that is just idiocy. No reason to have 2 guys that only punt on scholarship at the same time.

RougeDawg
01-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Maybe he has a kid to support

Maybe he's engaged or married and ready to support her

Maybe he just doesn't like football

Maybe he got tired of jerks like us on state message boards making fun of him and our other kickers.

Who knows? I do know dentistry is his future not football, so I don't blame him one bit.

All I know is this, after college you have the remainder of your life to work. One more year to delay said life/work is minute in the grand scheme so if you have an opportunity to partake in a once in a lifetime opportunity, I say you should take it and enjoy being young and in college. Based on this decision this has to be one of two things; his heart never was really on football or his mentor/advisor didn't fully explain that after college you'll pretty much work until you die.

Im beginning to wonder if most people on here would have rathered give up a year with a preseason top 15 team, to start your career early. I f*cking guarantee you that my career and life could/would have been put on hold for something potentially special.

Todd4State
01-10-2015, 10:36 PM
http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/kanye-blank-stare.gif

You can't be serious.

College was the best years of my life too, but ... come on.

Come on? Care to explain?

Like Rouge is saying- he has his entire life to work. And in healthcare, they will work your ass off.

Todd4State
01-10-2015, 10:42 PM
All I know is this, after college you have the remainder of your life to work. One more year to delay said life/work is minute in the grand scheme so if you have an opportunity to partake in a once in a lifetime opportunity, I say you should take it and enjoy being young and in college. Based on this decision this has to be one of two things; his heart never was really on football or his mentor/advisor didn't fully explain that after college you'll pretty much work until you die.

Im beginning to wonder if most people on here would have rathered give up a year with a preseason top 15 team, to start your career early. I f*cking guarantee you that my career and life could/would have been put on hold for something potentially special.

If it were me, I would blueshirt, grayshirt, redshirt or whatever to have that experience. You get it- dental school is still going to be there. If you are a MD, or DMD there really isn't that much difference in being in school 8 years vs. 7 total.

smootness
01-10-2015, 11:36 PM

And he's not you.

Maybe he likes being a dentist more than playing football. Maybe he thinks of football like the work you're talking about. People are all different, we don't all like or want the same thing. Just because you would kill to be in his place doesn't mean he should postpone something he would rather do for the 'privilege' of playing college football for another year.

Bo Darville
01-11-2015, 12:14 AM
Reed James is being watched and the staff has talked to him. He's a possibility, but have to see how baseball season goes for him. He's got a good leg.

deadheaddawg
01-11-2015, 12:44 AM
She's a billionaire now. Developed a lot of different businesses. But was/is a Bad-B. As in see picture next to the definition in the dictionary.

lol, no she isn't. She isn't even close.

$350 million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/models/kathy-ireland-net-worth/

Political Hack
01-11-2015, 08:41 AM

it's funny because it's true.

rrog17
01-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Who is Reed James?

I seen it dawg
01-11-2015, 10:37 AM
And he's not you.

Maybe he likes being a dentist more than playing football. Maybe he thinks of football like the work you're talking about. People are all different, we don't all like or want the same thing. Just because you would kill to be in his place doesn't mean he should postpone something he would rather do for the 'privilege' of playing college football for another year.

Thank you. Jesus some are just so obtuse. Maybe he's doing what's best for him and what he wants to do. He damn sure doesn't owe us anything.

dawgs
01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Understandable. Even with a NFL leg he won't knock down the kind of jack he can pull as a top notch DMD. Best of luck to him.

NFL kickers make more than probably 99% of all dentists out there, even the young kickers making close to the league minimum. Not really an issue here cause he ain't an NFL kicker, but felt like that needed correcting.

MadisonDawg
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Thank you. Jesus some are just so obtuse. Maybe he's doing what's best for him and what he wants to do. He damn sure doesn't owe us anything.

I also don't think people don't understand that he isn't graduating early. He will graduate on time, a full 4 years up here.

mic
01-11-2015, 12:20 PM

There will be Babe Bracket II coming in March again this year..
Can't wait to hear you bitch about it...

Todd4State
01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Who is Reed James?

Kicker at Germantown HS in Madison.

Dawg61
01-11-2015, 01:19 PM
There will be Babe Bracket II coming in March again this year..
Can't wait to hear you bitch about it...

You won't if you keep the ****** under 35 years old.**

Really? The proper name for female genitalia shows up as asterisks. We can say ***** but not ******. Weak ass shit.

Nvm we can't say pus.sy either.

Bo Darville
01-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Kicker at Germantown HS in Madison.

Kicked at Germantown in 2013. Kicked in JUCO in 2014.