PDA

View Full Version : LSU considering Ron Zook for DC

Pokerdawg44
01-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Would this be a good hire? I know Zook has been a HC at fl and Illinois but im not sure hes ever been a coordinator before. Id rather have O. Is Lsu getting desperate?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/ron-zook-lsu-defensive-coordinator-report/

Political Hack
01-09-2015, 06:52 PM
think he was the Saints DC for a while, wasn't he?

CadaverDawg
01-09-2015, 07:19 PM
DC at Kansas, Cincy, Florida, and the Saints. And coached defensive positions and Special Teams at several schools and 2-3 pro teams. Not to mention being Head Coach twice and Associate HC at a few schools. Zook could handle it.

32 Dive
01-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Not to mention, a hell of a recruiter... (back in the day)

MetEdDawg
01-09-2015, 07:27 PM
This is a bad hire for them in my opinion and if in fact Zook is the best they can do that should tell you about the state of LSU right now. Zook is 60 and this year is the assistant special teams coach for the Packers, and that's after being out of coaching completely the 3 years before that. To me it's not about whether he can handle it or not. It's about the public perception of LSU and I think this hire would be very underwhelming.

I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of the reign of LSU as an SEC elite. They are beginning to lose the elite talent in the state to other schools, including to schools in the SEC. 2 of the top 5 in LA are committed elsewhere and the top player could end up at UGA. They are having a coach like Chavis leave and are talking about replacing him with Ron Zook. They no longer seem to be developing talent at a level that seems far superior to the rest of us in the West. And I don't think Death Valley is as scary as it used to be. I think LSU could be in the beginning stages of a prolonged middle of the pack stay in the SEC and if they don't do better than 8-4 next year you could see some heads start to roll in Baton Rouge.

smootness
01-09-2015, 07:37 PM
When a permanent HC is hired, assuming it isn't Ole Miss that does the hiring, you can rest assured that person has almost certainly been a coordinator somewhere before. Especially when you've been HC at Florida.

msstate7
01-09-2015, 07:42 PM
When a permanent HC is hired, assuming it isn't Ole Miss that does the hiring, you can rest assured that person has almost certainly been a coordinator somewhere before. Especially when you've been HC at Florida.
Or Scott stricklin in basketball

VandelayIndustries
01-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv ? 3h 3 hours ago
Source close to the #LSU staff about Ron Zook for DC job: "No

yjnkdawg
01-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Seems like it could be trending maybe to an inside promotion of Brick Haley to DC and then bring O in as DL Coach and maybe an add on to his title, such as Head of Recruiting, etc.