PDA

View Full Version : Hud to hire Melvin Smith

CadaverDawg
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Per twitter

That's a good move by Hud & ULL. Melvin couldn't really help us, but he should be able to help ULL in crootin I would think.

PendingTransaction
01-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Good for Melvin! Good guy

DownwardDawg
01-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Per twitter

That's a good move by Hud & ULL. Melvin couldn't really help us, but he should be able to help ULL in crootin I would think.

Another nail in USM's coffin. When will they shut down their football program?

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I can't see USM shutting down their football program, but I can see them dropping to I-AA.

War Machine Dawg
01-09-2015, 12:36 AM
I can't see USM shutting down their football program, but I can see them dropping to I-AA.

Our state "Board of Trustees" or whatever the hell we're calling it, needs to take a lesson from what just happened in our neighboring state. Alabama grew a pair and shut down UAB. Sure, there were a lot of other factors involved, like retribution against Watson Brown. But the fact remains the program was a gigantic money drain so they buried it. We should do the same thing to USM and most of the HBCU programs. About the only minor program I'd leave open is DSU. Save the state money and stop diluting the talent pool for us and TSUN.

Irondawg
01-09-2015, 12:45 AM
To save money, sure but if their football programs aren't losing money let them continue. They aren't diluting our talent pool anymore

Dawg61
01-09-2015, 03:17 AM
Our state "Board of Trustees" or whatever the hell we're calling it, needs to take a lesson from what just happened in our neighboring state. Alabama grew a pair and shut down UAB. Sure, there were a lot of other factors involved, like retribution against Watson Brown. But the fact remains the program was a gigantic money drain so they buried it. We should do the same thing to USM and most of the HBCU programs. About the only minor program I'd leave open is DSU. Save the state money and stop diluting the talent pool for us and TSUN.

Cutthroat much? Were not going to cannibalize our own state just to prosper. That's low. We aren't the dirty scumbags Auburn and Bama stooped to.

RiverCityDawg
01-09-2015, 06:04 AM

Wow. "We" don't have the power to shut down Southern and the HBCU's, that's ridiculous. Completely different situation. UA doesn't have the power to shut down any HBCU's either, and even if they did, can you imagine the negative PR from that? Good grief, man. Besides, like others have suggested, there are not more than a couple players at all those other schools combined that would have turned down a scholarship from State or ole miss

The only comparison to what UA did would be us shutting down the Meridian campus if they had a football team.

(My apologies if you're being sarcastic or just a drunk ass hole... I can't tell with how stupid this is.)

Bothrops
01-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Apparently, USM has no one to help them. I think a drastic change of some sort will happen this year.

DanDority
01-09-2015, 11:10 AM

I couldn't agree more about this entire statement. However, the shutdown of HBCU programs will never happen under the current state of politics. There is not a politician with a set big enough to do what is needed to save money. Our University will close before the HBCUs have to shutdown their programs.

NCDawg
01-09-2015, 12:25 PM

When you mention shutting down most of the HBCU programs, you quit preaching and started meddling. No way that would happen in Mississippi.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2015, 09:34 PM
From the topic of Hud hiring Melvin Smith, this thread has really made a 360 turn.

CadaverDawg
01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
From the topic of Hud hiring Melvin Smith, this thread has really made a 360 turn.

Yea it took a trip to Facepalm town, no doubt.

What you think of the hire by ULL, yjnkdawg?

DownwardDawg
01-09-2015, 10:32 PM

Sorry about that. I started the hijack.

I think it's a good hire for Hud. Melvin will recruit Mississippi well for ULL. That's kinda what I was getting at. He'll steal even more talent from USM.

msstate7
01-09-2015, 10:37 PM

So what you think about the Braves trading Kyle kubitza for a 17-year old pitcher?**

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Sorry about that. I started the hijack.

I think it's a good hire for Hud. Melvin will recruit Mississippi well for ULL. That's kinda what I was getting at. He'll steal even more talent from USM.

I actually thought you made a great point. The posts about shutting down USM and all the other colleges in the state was when things spiraled. This hire did USM zero favors.