PDA

View Full Version : Rankin, Gray, Calvin, Dear, and deddrick Thomas

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Moving in today (early enrollees). Who has the biggest immediate impact?

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Rumor of another player to possibly be able to enroll early as well.

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Rankin..... I have a feeling he wins the job outright and becomes a starter. Gray, Calvin and Dear will be shuffled in the depth chart. I see Thomas redshirting..... he needs to hit the weight room a little more (but I see Thomas having the highest ceiling in the group).

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Rankin..... I have a feeling he wins the job outright and becomes a starter. Gray, Calvin and Dear will be shuffled in the depth chart. I see Thomas redshirting..... he needs to hit the weight room a little more (but I see Thomas having the highest ceiling in the group).

Agreed w rankin. I think he will be very competitive for the starting spot.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Any word on the TE we signed last year (Pierce)? Is he going to get into school for the Spring?

jumbo
01-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Any word on the TE we signed last year (Pierce)? Is he going to get into school for the Spring?

no one knows yet.

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 12:54 PM

He has until Monday

NCDawg
01-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Agreed w rankin. I think he will be very competitive for the starting spot.

Does Rankin have any real competition for the starting spot? Hevesy very rarely substituted anybody on the OL. Guess he felt they weren't good enough to play.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Does Rankin have any real competition for the starting spot? Hevesy very rarely substituted anybody on the OL. Guess he felt they weren't good enough to play.

Could move Senior to LT and Malone out to RT. Warren/Carter/Jenkins are in the mix at tackle as well.

I would think Rankin will struggle at first in the spring as he adjusts from Juco to SEC ball. But if he keeps the right attitude and works hard in the weight room over the summer he should be no. 1 by the fall.

Coach34
01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
As of right now- getting Rankin sealed Malone to stay at OG

We aren't sure who will play LT yet- but it will be Rankin or Senior. The other will play RT. Back-ups are likely Johnson and Warren with Jenkins and Cole Carter trying to get some snaps. Jenkins might overtake Warren who could actually be thrown into the Center mix

OG's gonna be Malone and Desper. Flowers and Thomas backing up.

C is going to be kid from JA and Calhoun battling..possibly Warren

Thats the plan heading into Spring

HoopsDawg
01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
As of right now- getting Rankin sealed Malone to stay at OG

We aren't sure who will play LT yet- but it will be Rankin or Senior. The other will play RT. Back-ups are likely Johnson and Warren with Jenkins and Cole Carter trying to get some snaps. Jenkins might overtake Warren who could actually be thrown into the Center mix

OG's gonna be Malone and Desper. Flowers and Thomas backing up.

C is going to be kid from JA and Calhoun battling..possibly Warren

Thats the plan heading into Spring

You are mis-informed on Johnson. He is behind pretty much everyone at Tackle.

Coach34
01-08-2015, 02:03 PM

not according to his position coach

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 02:05 PM

You're right on this one..... he's just not that strong. Don't forget about Darryl Williams. He's a true center that won't have to be groomed too much. Calhoun may go back to guard. It depends on what Williams does in the Fall.

bulldawg28
01-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Rumor of another player to possibly be able to enroll early as well.

Who is the rumored person?

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 02:40 PM

I'd give up red meat if it was Jamal Peters, but sadly enough it's not lol

RealHastings
01-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Gray will have an immediate positive impact for us on kickoff and punt return; something I for one am excited to finally have a weapon and not a liability back there. I also think (eventually) at the weight Dear is right now, he could be our next Jrob type RB for the future. I loved what Shump showed late in the season but I'm not so sure he's our guy going forward. I really like the skillset of Aries and Dear. It'd be awesome if Shump were to prove me wrong, though.

Dawg496
01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Shump started hitting the hole towards the end of the year. I count on him to keep getting better next year.

As far as the newcomers, Gray can handle kickoffs for sure. I kind of like Fred Ross returning punts.

Coach34
01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't see any way Dear plays as a true freshman

smootness
01-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Rankin is the obvious pick because he will likely start at an extremely important position. But out of the second group, I think it's undoubtedly Gray in both immediate impact and ceiling. The guy could be a superstar and will be a weapon from day one.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Who is the mystery player?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Let's see how his body looks by say May before we determine that.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Can we count on Clayborn next year to compete for either starting at C or G? He made an impact as a true freshman and then was barely heard from this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Clayborn will be the starting Center next year.

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Don't get the lack of love for shump. They guy had a great YPC and was our best runner against om and works his ass off on special teams. He's almost like morrow was w the fans before the last few weeks of the season, where no matter how well he played he didn't get the credit he deserved.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Shump is a little better vision away from being a very good SEC RB. All the other attributes are starting to show he just needs to see the whole field a little better & the sky is the limit.

jumbo
01-08-2015, 04:20 PM

agreed. I think a RS year in a college weight program is going to do wonders for him.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Shump is a little better vision away from being a very good SEC RB. All the other attributes are starting to show he just needs to see the whole field a little better & the sky is the limit.

Vision is exactly what I have against him. It was infuriating on a few carries in the Orange Bowl where he had all kinds of space to his left or right and he just ran into the pile or into a defender. He's done that in other games as well. That's got to improve or I don't want him as our primary back.

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Don't know. But heard even Paul mentioned it today. So assume it has legs.

Dawg496
01-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The rumored person is Coach O.

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Rankin is the obvious pick because he will likely start at an extremely important position. But out of the second group, I think it's undoubtedly Gray in both immediate impact and ceiling. The guy could be a superstar and will be a weapon from day one.

You'll be saying the same thing about Thomas by his junior year. Gray and Thomas are both players that will be breaking the defenders' ankles.

smootness
01-08-2015, 06:35 PM
You'll be saying the same thing about Thomas by his junior year. Gray and Thomas are both players that will be breaking the defenders' ankles.

I certainly hope so. I really like Thomas, but my expectations for Gray are through the roof.

Coach34
01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Let's see how his body looks by say May before we determine that.

where is he going to play?

It wont be in front of Shump, Williams, or Lee
It wont be in front of Myles, Gray, or Graham

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
My guess is the mystery player is Pierce. That makes the most sense to me. Or maybe some random JUCO guy.

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I think Gray will have the most impact because I think he will start on offense and I think he will impact special teams.

I also think that Dear and Thomas will play and could possibly helps us out- but I don't think either will start. I could see Thomas being our KR guy.

Rankin needs to make an impact.

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 09:00 PM
My guess is the mystery player is Pierce. That makes the most sense to me. Or maybe some random JUCO guy.

I know it's not Pierce and his situation is still up in the air. Hope he gets cleared tho.

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 09:10 PM
If Pierce isn't cleared by now, odds are he won't have an impact next year if he gets cleared. If you are right, it's gotta be a JUCO guy- probably a DT, although I would prefer it be a JUCO FB.

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 09:15 PM

Among Shump, Williams and Lee..... who has sub 4.4 speed? None of them. Dear will get his weight under control and he'll be back to sub 4.4 speed when he hits the weight room at State. When he gets his weight under control, he'll be a serious threat at running the edge out of the backfield. Shump, Williams and Lee are all downfield runners. I may be wrong because I haven't seen Dear play in person, but his videos show he can hit the edge quick and get downfield fast. I've seen Gibson play..... he's more like Williams with how he runs. Dear seems like the best chance at getting a running back that can spread the defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 09:16 PM

An in shape Dear would pass Graham & give us the flexibility to play Myles outside & slot. When Dear is at the top of his game & healthy & in shape the only slot better is Gray.

Coach34
01-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Just dont see a true freshman playing much next year- I dont care if his name is Dear or Peters

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Peters will play as much as he wants to. It's all up to him. He come in with his head on he'll have every opportunity to start by no later than midway through the season.

BeastMan
01-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Peters will play as much as he wants to. It's all up to him. He come in with his head on he'll have every opportunity to start by no later than midway through the season.

I'm hoping he and Brandon Bryant get the mental part of safety next year. They would make the safety talent from an athletic standpoint better than it has been in a long time

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Saying things like "when he gets his weight under control" and "gets back in shape" screams redshirt to me. Redshirt him, get that under control while learning the mental side and saving a year.

jumbo
01-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Saying things like "when he gets his weight under control" and "gets back in shape" screams redshirt to me. Redshirt him, get that under control while learning the mental side and saving a year.

bingo.

thedawg
01-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Mystery player is a guy that isnt publicly committed but one that has been talked about... not Pierce

whosyourdawgy
01-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Definite impact players are Rankin and Peters
Who yall are talking about: Dear Gibson
Who I think will make their impact next year that yall aren't talking about: Keith Mixon and Mark McLaurin.

engie
01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Among Shump, Williams and Lee..... who has sub 4.4 speed? None of them. Dear will get his weight under control and he'll be back to sub 4.4 speed when he hits the weight room at State. When he gets his weight under control, he'll be a serious threat at running the edge out of the backfield. Shump, Williams and Lee are all downfield runners. I may be wrong because I haven't seen Dear play in person, but his videos show he can hit the edge quick and get downfield fast. I've seen Gibson play..... he's more like Williams with how he runs. Dear seems like the best chance at getting a running back that can spread the defense.

You make a really good point here that I, personally, hadn't thought of in regard to Dear. If he can get back to the guy he was as a SOPH, he can play a key role immediately. If he's the guy we saw this year, he's gonna be lost in the shuffle for awhile. Some guys can flip that switch, and I sure hope he can...

Okrastar1
01-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Mystery player is a guy that isnt publicly committed but one that has been talked about... not Pierce

Story?

engie
01-09-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm hoping he and Brandon Bryant get the mental part of safety next year. They would make the safety talent from an athletic standpoint better than it has been in a long time

Amen to this.

If we are to believe what the stats tell us about our year under Diaz, strong safety is very important in his system in stopping the run, playing in the box a lot, and rarely asked to do very much in coverage, while the FS is a blitzing fool turned free to roam when not blitzing. The SS position has been kinda lost in the shuffle in our last 2 systems, while everyone notes the inadequacy of what we've done at FS since Diaz left/Nickoe got hurt. If Peters can play SS with Bryant at FS, that's the best possible case scenario for me, and I'm willing to blow a couple coverages early to settle them into these spots for at least 3 years.

engie
01-09-2015, 11:01 AM

I'll guess Jason Carr if we're guessing....

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-09-2015, 02:31 PM
What Shump lacks in vision he more than makes up for in pass protection & as a lead blocker for Dak. Jrob is a special runner w/ the ball in his hands but as the season wore on he became a liability in pass pro. He started lunging to engage rushers rather than maintaining balance, leading to way too many whiffs. When your gamebreaker is at the QB pos. you have to be able to pick up that extra rusher.

I think this was the reason for Jrob losing snaps at the end of the year & a primary factor in his decision to declare, as he could see himself losing even more snaps next year for the same reasons. Give me the guy who picks up 6 tough yards & can/will block over the guy whose vision allows him to break a 20-yarder every 8-9 carries.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Or just move him to safety & run 5 wide QB draw every play*

chef dixon
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I really hope you guys are right on Gray. I just never have that high of hopes for JUCO guys in general. Now if we are talking JT Gray, then I can get on that bandwagon.

HancockCountyDog
01-09-2015, 08:26 PM

I hope you're wrong.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I really hope you guys are right on Gray. I just never have that high of hopes for JUCO guys in general. Now if we are talking JT Gray, then I can get on that bandwagon.

Donald Gray was a playmaker in HS and a playmaker in Juco-earning 1st team AA honors. There's no reason to think he won't be a playmaker for us.

Peters and Bryant probably won't be our best 2 safeties in the first game, but if Manny starts them and leaves them in, they will be our best 2 safeties by year end. They have the most playmaking ability.

Coach34
01-09-2015, 08:39 PM
There is zero chance we start a true Freshman in Game 1. Zero

He'll do as Chris jones did- rotate in more and more as the season plays out and get half the snaps by season's end probably

HoopsDawg
01-09-2015, 08:41 PM
There is zero chance we start a true Freshman in Game 1. Zero

He'll do as Chris jones did- rotate in more and more as the season plays out and get half the snaps by season's end probably

Who are your 2 starters at safety?

Coach34
01-09-2015, 08:51 PM

2 of our upperclassmen.

Just like people saying there is no way in the world we would RS Aeris...or Green...or whatever...people get too damn fired up about true freshmen. Zero chance he starts by game 1- and hell, probably by Game 4. I know that Gray moving to Safety means he is going to play. They want him on the field. Evans and Coman will play alot. Market will be returning

One thing I know for sure- in Game 1.....Game 1- it will be anybody but Peters

defiantdog
01-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Coman and Market if healthy..... sub Cleveland for Market if he's not healthy. I don't like it, but it's how Mullen works.

defiantdog
01-09-2015, 08:54 PM
2 of our upperclassmen.

Just like people saying there is no way in the world we would RS Aeris...or Green...or whatever...people get too damn fired up about true freshmen. Zero chance he starts by game 1- and hell, probably by Game 4. I know that Gray moving to Safety means he is going to play. They want him on the field. Evans and Coman will play alot. Market will be returning

One thing I know for sure- in Game 1.....Game 1- it will be anybody but Peters

Evans should only see the field for mop up duty. The dude is awful..... how does our staff not see this?

Sacrifice
01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
I think Peters will play and play early. Once he gets on the field I don't see him coming off. The guys 6'3 runs a 4.3 forty, has hands like a WR and accelerates like Jerious Norwood...Plus, we suck at safety. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play some WR too.

Coach34
01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I fully expect him to have a Freshman Chris Jones type path to playing time

defiantdog
01-09-2015, 09:09 PM
I fully expect him to have a Freshman Chris Jones type path to playing time

That sucks, but I agree. He won't get significant playing time until week 4.

engie
01-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Just like people saying there is no way in the world we would RS Aeris...or Green...or whatever...people get too damn fired up about true freshmen.
No one was calling for either to start. Safety is a different situation for us.

Zero chance he starts by game 1- and hell, probably by Game 4. I know that Gray moving to Safety means he is going to play.
I've seen no indication that the move was permanent, but if it is, fine. I don't think Zach Jackson can start for us at WLB -- so who inherits here if not Gray who has a year in the system at the spot? Jung? Inexperience will be a factor at that spot. Or a lack of talent, at least in coverage.

engie
01-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Diaz's defense here started rsFR at DE and FS and trSO at DT, DT, CB week 1. 5 starters with only one year in the program.

I don't think anyone expects Peters to start week 1, but also not betting against Bryant. We're just saying that we would rather baptize the blue chips by fire than watch lost upperclassmen get beat time after time after time. WLB and safety WAS the 1B failure this year. No one is in any hurry to anoint them the future 1As for obvious reasons...

DCdawg
01-10-2015, 12:25 AM

Carr signed with West Alabama. I imagine he is already about to be on campus there.

Todd4State
01-10-2015, 12:46 AM
I do think Aeries and Gerri Green would have started IF we needed them to- but we didn't have to play them because of what we had on the roster and depth chart. That does come into play with how we manage our roster.

I also think that Peters can and probably will play a lot next year and probably start. Some guys are special talents like that- I thought that about Bear, Chris Jones, and Redmond and they have proven me correct. Peters is a player that is in their class in terms of talent.

Todd4State
01-10-2015, 12:50 AM
No one was calling for either to start. Safety is a different situation for us.

I've seen no indication that the move was permanent, but if it is, fine. I don't think Zach Jackson can start for us at WLB -- so who inherits here if not Gray who has a year in the system at the spot? Jung? Inexperience will be a factor at that spot. Or a lack of talent, at least in coverage.

Zach might be better in Manny's system. He is horrible in coverage. I'm still not sold on him though- he really fits best on special teams.

It will be interesting to see what Manny does with the LB's- but there is no doubt that they will be better utilized than they were this past year. We wasted McKinney. I would like to see something like this:

DE- Gerri Green
DT- Nick James
DT- Chris Jones
DE- Ryan Brown
OLB- Beniquez
MLB- Richie
OLB- Gray
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun
S- Peters
S- Bryant

That to me would be our most talented lineup.

HancockCountyDog
01-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Carr signed with West Alabama. I imagine he is already about to be on campus there.

That is apporpriate for his talent level. Im really glad we didn't push on this kid, would have been a wasted scholarship.

HancockCountyDog
01-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Zach might be better in Manny's system. He is horrible in coverage. I'm still not sold on him though- he really fits best on special teams.

It will be interesting to see what Manny does with the LB's- but there is no doubt that they will be better utilized than they were this past year. We wasted McKinney. I would like to see something like this:

DE- Gerri Green
DT- Nick James
DT- Chris Jones
DE- Ryan Brown
OLB- Beniquez
MLB- Richie
OLB- Gray
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun
S- Peters
S- Bryant

I have to ask, what makes everyone so sure on Bryant? Practice reports? Just wondering, I've asked a few guys about him and I haven't received any type "Instant impact or sure fire starter" type response. I could easily be talking to wrong people, but I see no way that our starting safeties next year aren't Coman and Market in game 1. Now that may change as season goes on, but safety is a really tough position to play as a freshman.

Also, I thought Gray moved to Safety? Im assuming that is fluid.

Coach34
01-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Diaz's defense here started rsFR at DE and FS and trSO at DT, DT, CB week 1. 5 starters with only one year in the program.

I don't think anyone expects Peters to start week 1, but also not betting against Bryant. .

A) We had alot less upperclass talent the last time Diaz was here. And that also supports what I'm saying- even then we didnt play true Freshmen. We started becoming a RS program

B) There have been plenty of posts calling for Peters to start week 1- including in this thread. It's like people havent been watching how the coaches operate.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Hughes has said they're gonna keep Gray at LB. Cleveland looks most likely to make the permanent move to safety.

hailmari
01-10-2015, 09:36 AM
From an athletic stand point, Byrant is head over heels over what we've had aside from Cox. It's just a matter of whether or not he knows how to play safety at a big time level. Cox had the talent, he just never got it clicking due to either scheme or know-how.

I'm in the baptize Peters by fire camp, but I also know it won't happen immediately. Mullen always gotta be all happy feel good with the upper classmen...

Bothrops
01-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Bryant is a premium athlete, he's a natural fit at safety. Faster than what we have and physical like Market. He was under the radar pretty much the entire recruiting process.

smootness
01-10-2015, 02:08 PM

DE- Gerri Green
DT- Nick James
DT- Chris Jones
DE- Ryan Brown
OLB- Beniquez
MLB- Richie
OLB- Gray
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun
S- Peters
S- Bryant

In a video game, this might work. But I would be shocked if Green ever moves to DL. I don't know why we would. He could be our 2nd best LB this year, and Jefferson is becoming a beast at DE.

defiantdog
01-10-2015, 02:25 PM
If Mullen has any hand in our defense we'll have this.....

DE - Jefferson
DT - N. Adams
DT - C. Jones
DE - Ry. Brown
OLB - B. Brown
MLB - Ri. Brown
OLB - Jackson
CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun
FS - Market
SS - Coman / Cleveland

I don't agree with it, but I can see this happening.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2015, 03:11 PM
If Mullen has any hand in our defense we'll have this.....

DE - Jefferson
DT - N. Adams
DT - C. Jones
DE - Ry. Brown
OLB - B. Brown
MLB - Ri. Brown
OLB - Jackson
CB - Redmond
CB - Calhoun
FS - Market
SS - Coman / Cleveland

I don't agree with it, but I can see this happening.

Yes, that is definitely the Mullen Defense except he might have Evans instead of Cleveland.

Mine would be the same D-line, but my back 7 would be:

B. Brown
G. Green
JT Gray

CB: Redmond
CB: Calhoun
S: Coman
S: Cleveland

Market and Evans would be on special teams. And I would work Peters and Bryant in as the season progresses.

defiantdog
01-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Yes, that is definitely the Mullen Defense except he might have Evans instead of Cleveland.

Mine would be the same D-line, but my back 7 would be:

B. Brown
G. Green
JT Gray

CB: Redmond
CB: Calhoun
S: Coman
S: Cleveland

Market and Evans would be on special teams. And I would work Peters and Bryant in as the season progresses.

I couldn't get myself to put Evans anywhere on that list. I'd rather have Chris Jones dropping back as safety..... Evans is complete garbage.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm far from knowing all the answers, but there is a lot of right and whole lotta fail in this thread.

1) The "Shumpert always runs to contact" line has become the most exaggerated line in our fan base. Shumpert is good, and can be our feature back. If he's not...it's bc someone better beat him out, not bc he is "running into contact". That line has become garbage. You don't avg 6 ypc most of the year by "running into the pile".

2) Gerri Green is a LB and will probably always be a LB at MSU. And he should be, bc he's a beast at LB.

3) AJ Jefferson and Ryan Brown will start at DE. Period.

4) If you think Gray walks in first year and starts at KR or PR, you're crazy. Not saying he shouldn't...but he won't. Holloway will be with someone on KR and Ross will start at PR.
There's a long shot that Gray could be on KR with Holloway to start the year, but I'll believe it when I see it. Redmond and Gray would be a hell of a KR tandem, so we'll never see them back there together.

5) Richie Brown will start at MLB.

6) No true freshmen will start game 1, and probably no redshirt freshmen either.

DudyDawg
01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
I think Peters will play and play early. Once he gets on the field I don't see him coming off. The guys 6'3 runs a 4.3 forty, has hands like a WR and accelerates like Jerious Norwood...Plus, we suck at safety. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play some WR too.

So, not only do we do something we rarely if ever do by playing a true frosh a lot early, we will play him both ways? Okay...

defiantdog
01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm far from knowing all the answers, but there is a lot of right and whole lotta fail in this thread.

1) The "Shumpert always runs to contact" line has become the most exaggerated line in our fan base. Shumpert is good, and can be our feature back. If he's not...it's bc someone better beat him out, not bc he is "running into contact". That line has become garbage. You don't avg 6 ypc most of the year by "running into the pile".

2) Gerri Green is a LB and will probably always be a LB at MSU. And he should be, bc he's a beast at LB.

3) AJ Jefferson and Ryan Brown will start at DE. Period.

4) If you think Gray walks in first year and starts at KR or PR, you're crazy. Not saying he shouldn't...but he won't. Holloway will be with someone on KR and Ross will start at PR.
There's a long shot that Gray could be on KR with Holloway to start the year, but I'll believe it when I see it. Redmond and Gray would be a hell of a KR tandem, so we'll never see them back there together.

5) Richie Brown will start at MLB.

6) No true freshmen will start game 1, and probably no redshirt freshmen either.

Exactly..... no way they start. But they will certainly have significant playing time in game one vs USM and game three vs Northwestern State. And honestly, I don't really care who starts as long as we don't have linebackers covering slot receivers and safeties constantly getting beat over the top.

chef dixon
01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
I love how our fans constantly try to change everyones position. Surely we will have Dak at nose guard by August.

maroonmania
01-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Cadaver, call it exaggerated if you like, but there is no doubt in what I've seen of Shumpert so far that vision to find running space is his biggest weakness as a RB. He has a lot of other things going for him though so if he can improve that some over the offseason he can still be a very good back for us.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Cadaver, call it exaggerated if you like, but there is no doubt in what I've seen of Shumpert so far that vision to find running space is his biggest weakness as a RB. He has a lot of other things going for him though so if he can improve that some over the offseason he can still be a very good back for us.

But that's the thing, he didn't do that at all hardly this year. And if you don't score a touchdown on each run, you're going to contact someone. That doesn't mean he ran towards it.

I agree with you that it is one of his biggest weaknesses, but I don't think it is nearly the weakness you think it is. I actually think speed is his biggest weakness, and his lack of elite speed helps create the "running to contact" perception for some people.

I think what you and some others don't realize is that, when contact comes, you have two choices as a RB....1) juke and try to make them miss....or 2) Lower your shoulder and try to run them over or break the tackle. Shumpert is not a "juke and jive" back that breaks ankles in space. Guess what, neither is Derrick Henry. So is Derrick Henry "running into the pile"? Is he "running to contact"? No, and neither is Shumpert. They just aren't that type of back. And they never will be, but that doesn't make them bad backs. And no, I'm not comparing Shump to Henry, Henry is IMO the best back in the country.

I'm not saying Shumpert can't improve on his vision more. He can. And he has improved it a ton since his first year. I just think you and some others are exaggerating his vision to an extreme level. Almost as if since he didn't show good vision as a true freshman, he will never have good vision in your mind. You just have to realize he isn't the type of back that is going to be able to kick a lot of runs outside and beat people to the edges. JJ Johnson was similar in many ways.

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sacrifice
01-10-2015, 05:34 PM
So, not only do we do something we rarely if ever do by playing a true frosh a lot early, we will play him both ways? Okay...

Rarely ever do??? C Jones, Shumpert, F Ross, J Clayborn, Bear Wilson, D Williams and Artimas Samuel (before he left) all played there Freshman year...Peters will play A LOT as a Freshman... As far as the WR thing goes, that's what Mullen told him after the MS/AL allstar game. He could've been blowing smoke up his ass, I don't know but it looks like most schools are telling Peters he's gonna play some WR too...

DCdawg
01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
That is apporpriate for his talent level. Im really glad we didn't push on this kid, would have been a wasted scholarship.

I liked what I saw from Carr when I watched him play. It wasn't his talent that cost him a chance.