PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if this statement from Manny is indicative of 1a/1b going forward

MabenMaroon
01-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Quote from his presser last night .... ?I think we see the game in the same way. Dan?s a guy that has always tried to challenge the establishment of ?is there a better way to do it?? " ....

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Uh, not every new idea is a good one.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-08-2015, 09:38 AM
I think you are reading too much into that quote.

TrapGame
01-08-2015, 09:51 AM
From what I understand Diaz is the intellectual equal of Mullen. I'm sure Dan will be very comfortable in allowing him full reign over defensive schemes and philosophy. This will be Manny's baby.

Dawgface
01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
I think you are reading too much into that quote.

Agree.

defiantdog
01-08-2015, 09:59 AM
If yall remember, Diaz likes to rotate a lot. But he keeps key players in the game. There is a necessity for rotation in Manny's system since he blitzes so much. I'm ready to see how he bounces back. And I hope he was telling the truth when he said he wants this to be his last Defensive Coordinator job.

codeDawg
01-08-2015, 10:04 AM
I seriously doubt we see the 1a / 1b thing next year. It was a good idea to try, that didn't work out. I said early on that it was either genius that will keep us in it at the end, or a bad scheme that's going to cost us a game or two.

It was not genius. It should have bee apparent before Bama and ditched.

MaxedOutMaroon
01-08-2015, 10:10 AM
After the last 2 games, the main thing I want Diaz to do is implement blitzes and teach players how to finish tackles. Even Matt Wells became lazy and I would've never thought. I think a unit emulates their coach and that's what this years team did. Very talented and know how to play, just became lazy. And that's what I believe collins was, an awesome, smart coach but lazy. Before I get accused of saying ____ is why collins didn't do well throughout, let me preface this by saying I'm not saying ____ is the cause, just kind of indicative of what kind of person he is. I heard from some sources that Collins was basically addicted to Clash of Clans. Not saying it was the cause of poor performances in the last games, just indicates what kind of guy he was and just kind of immature

RougeDawg
01-08-2015, 10:22 AM
So based on this statement I deduce the following: Dan believes he is the first coach to repeatedly run delayed QB Draw and Dives up the gut to no avail? He's also the first coach to attempt to run 180 lb RBs up the gut into over a ton of mass at the line of scrimmage?

How can he be this ignorant and arrogant? There are proven things that work and things that absolutely do not work. Dan trying to reinvent the wheel is why we lost to Bama and OM and weren't playing in Sugar Bowl. We had the QB and Eam to win it all, but out leader chose to get away with what was working and tried to "improve upon" things the second half of the season. This statement from manny only confirms what many of us here have been speculating about Mullen. Until he realizes that he's not the football god, we will never win it all due to his continual experimentations with our football program. You experiment in the off season, and go with what works.

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 10:34 AM
So based on this statement I deduce the following: Dan believes he is the first coach to repeatedly run delayed QB Draw and Dives up the gut to no avail? He's also the first coach to attempt to run 180 lb RBs up the gut into over a ton of mass at the line of scrimmage?

How can he be this ignorant and arrogant? There are proven things that work and things that absolutely do not work. Dan trying to reinvent the wheel is why we lost to Bama and OM and weren't playing in Sugar Bowl. We had the QB and Eam to win it all, but out leader chose to get away with what was working and tried to "improve upon" things the second half of the season. This statement from manny only confirms what many of us here have been speculating about Mullen. Until he realizes that he's not the football god, we will never win it all due to his continual experimentations with our football program. You experiment in the off season, and go with what works.

Wait now you are being contradictory. Running the QB up the middle was done all year with good success. He didn't try something new with that the second half is the season, when he probably should have adjusted off of that. Now if you want to say he should have not kept trying to force that play, I agree. But that was not reinventing anything.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-08-2015, 10:43 AM
I could see Manny rotating guys up on the DL to keep them fresh, but I don't think we'll see the mass subs at LB and DB.

SallyStansbury
01-08-2015, 10:43 AM
It can be both. Maybe Mullen is a genius....really!

Someone provided good stats in a prior thread (Engie?) RE hurry up offenses and how we bend/notbreak etc....thereby exposing ourselves to an elevated # of plays over a given season. Guess what, 1B the shit out of Vandy/and the other patsy teams when we are beating the piss out of them, but critically evaluate the limitations of this strategy. That means don't use it against Olemiss and Bama. Look at how Meyer negated the shit out of what Bama did to us. If you have an ego that gets in the way of this, get over yourself. Got to learn to manage things on the go. I say give Coach Mullen a chance to grow, he is young. 10 wins does earn some slack and respect, but it stings to see 11-12 wins within reach with a few relatively simple tweaks.

Predictability hurt us too.....and predictably doing dumb shit (Perkins/Holloway between the tackles; poor special teams KO returns) makes it sting a little.

Did someone just post that Collins plays video games to excess? WTF? Did I really just read that?

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
I could see Manny rotating guys up on the DL to keep them fresh, but I don't think we'll see the mass subs at LB and DB.

Well if I remember he did rotate a couple of LB and DB's but the main guys played most of the game. Obviously you have to keep that line rotated.

smootness
01-08-2015, 11:44 AM

You seem to have misread Diaz' comment as, 'We see the game in the same way; Dan is a guy who always believes everything he does is the greatest thing ever and has never been attempted before.'

He literally just said that Mullen always tries to find a better way of doing things and isn't concerned if it hasn't been attempted before. Which is exactly what you want in your coach. Good grief, people.

Percho
01-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I liked what he said about the field position stat. Dad gum, play defense on their end of the field and you will have better field position.

RougeDawg
01-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Wait now you are being contradictory. Running the QB up the middle was done all year with good success. He didn't try something new with that the second half is the season, when he probably should have adjusted off of that. Now if you want to say he should have not kept trying to force that play, I agree. But that was not reinventing anything.

I wasn't speaking specifically about him trying to reinvent football by providing that example. I was pointing out that the second half of the year we condensed our offense down to a handful of plays, and eliminated most of the misdirection, motion, read option, deception plays from our playbook. We then proceeded to run that shitty QB delayed dove 6-8 out of 10 plays, as if we were playing not to lose.

RougeDawg
01-08-2015, 12:05 PM
You seem to have misread Diaz' comment as, 'We see the game in the same way; Dan is a guy who always believes everything he does is the greatest thing ever and has never been attempted before.'

He literally just said that Mullen always tries to find a better way of doing things and isn't concerned if it hasn't been attempted before. Which is exactly what you want in your coach. Good grief, people.

No I read it correctly. Mullen likes to try unconventional things to see if they work, for example "running Perkins up the gut repeatedly with no success." The problem I was pointing out that Dan is so stubborn and hard headed he never sees and/or will admit his "experiments" are failures, subsequently abandoning them. He continues to try to shove a square peg in a round hole, even if it means our performance suffers and we lose ball games, simply because he cannot accept that some of his ideas are complete shit and he should trash them. That's the point I was making and the point that Manny's statement further confirmed.

NCDawg
01-08-2015, 12:17 PM
I wasn't speaking specifically about him trying to reinvent football by providing that example. I was pointing out that the second half of the year we condensed our offense down to a handful of plays, and eliminated most of the misdirection, motion, read option, deception plays from our playbook. We then proceeded to run that shitty QB delayed dove 6-8 out of 10 plays, as if we were playing not to lose.

I agree with your assessment. We got away from what was working for us.

Really Clark?
01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
No I read it correctly. Mullen likes to try unconventional things to see if they work, for example "running Perkins up the gut repeatedly with no success." The problem I was pointing out that Dan is so stubborn and hard headed he never sees and/or will admit his "experiments" are failures, subsequently abandoning them. He continues to try to shove a square peg in a round hole, even if it means our performance suffers and we lose ball games, simply because he cannot accept that some of his ideas are complete shit and he should trash them. That's the point I was making and the point that Manny's statement further confirmed.

And this is the first season that we never had a game lower than 400 yards of total offense. Look, I know you want to use Perkins and the games against Bama and UM this year. The fact of the matter is NO OC has a great game plan every game. Nearly every single fan base will make almost identical statements that you are when the offense struggles. Questioning play calls is a universal gripe and being stubborn about running plays is as well. How much are problems a result of play calling vs execution vs the fact that, amazingly enough, the opposition is just playing better that day. You do know we play against some good defenses. And we still put up the yards and points. Do I question play calls as well? Of course. Did he not call himself out for gameplan and play calls. I believe he did. Is he stubborn? Yeah and nearly all of them are. OSU last week, was the play calls questioned against Bama? Absolutely they were. It is awful easy though to harp on this stuff when we are not at practice watching what the team executes well. And if the offense was bad, it's a valid point. But when it is as successful as its been this year I think we need to step back a bit.

BLITZII
01-08-2015, 01:01 PM
I seriously doubt we see the 1a / 1b thing next year. It was a good idea to try, that didn't work out. I said early on that it was either genius that will keep us in it at the end, or a bad scheme that's going to cost us a game or two.

It was not genius. It should have bee apparent before Bama and ditched.

I agree with you. I don't think we see 1a and 1b again but it did provide a lot of playing time for players this year. May help Manny evaluate.

EnterpriseDawg
01-08-2015, 02:40 PM
After the last 2 games, the main thing I want Diaz to do is implement blitzes and teach players how to finish tackles. Even Matt Wells became lazy and I would've never thought. I think a unit emulates their coach and that's what this years team did. Very talented and know how to play, just became lazy. And that's what I believe collins was, an awesome, smart coach but lazy. Before I get accused of saying ____ is why collins didn't do well throughout, let me preface this by saying I'm not saying ____ is the cause, just kind of indicative of what kind of person he is. I heard from some sources that Collins was basically addicted to Clash of Clans. Not saying it was the cause of poor performances in the last games, just indicates what kind of guy he was and just kind of immature

Ask your "source" if he knows what clan he is in. Thanks, immature fan

Coach007
01-08-2015, 02:45 PM

So, when do you launch the "get rid of Dan" site?

Dawg496
01-08-2015, 03:14 PM
So, when do you launch the "get rid of Dan" site?

FireDanMullenAsSpecialTeamsCoach.com wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

FireScottStricklin.com is available if anyone is interested. As well as FireBrackyBrett.com.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 03:18 PM
FireDanMullenAsSpecialTeamsCoach.com wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

FireScottStricklin.com is available if anyone is interested. As well as FireBrackyBrett.com.

VERY disappointed in MSU fans if FireBrackyBrett.com is still available. We've really been falling down on the job.

smootness
01-08-2015, 03:21 PM
And this is the first season that we never had a game lower than 400 yards of total offense. Look, I know you want to use Perkins and the games against Bama and UM this year. The fact of the matter is NO OC has a great game plan every game. Nearly every single fan base will make almost identical statements that you are when the offense struggles. Questioning play calls is a universal gripe and being stubborn about running plays is as well. How much are problems a result of play calling vs execution vs the fact that, amazingly enough, the opposition is just playing better that day. You do know we play against some good defenses. And we still put up the yards and points. Do I question play calls as well? Of course. Did he not call himself out for gameplan and play calls. I believe he did. Is he stubborn? Yeah and nearly all of them are. OSU last week, was the play calls questioned against Bama? Absolutely they were. It is awful easy though to harp on this stuff when we are not at practice watching what the team executes well. And if the offense was bad, it's a valid point. But when it is as successful as its been this year I think we need to step back a bit.

Thank you. If you want to criticize Mullen, you're more than welcome, but 'His stubborn playcalling is terrible and is holding us back' isn't really an effective one.

We went 10-2 in arguably the toughest division in college football history, finished 2nd in the SEC, and played in the Orange Bowl, our first major bowl since 1941. And you have people who think Mullen is arrogant, stubborn, stupid, and purposely sticks with things that don't work just so that he doesn't have to admit they're not working.

I guess it's true that you won't ever please everyone and that college football fans are the most irrational people on the planet.