PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Dunlap

Dawg61
01-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Zero minutes again. Out with it. What did he do and why's he being punished for it? He's the one 3-point shooter we supposedly have and he gets no court time. Out with the rumor. If we're going to suffer through this shit show atleast do us the favor of giving us the juicy rumors. Dunlap bang Hansbrough's mom again?

thf24
01-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Pretty sure he broke his ankle last month...

Dawg61
01-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Pretty sure he broke his ankle last month...

Ok did that happen in the locker room the same time Houston got a concussion? Dunlapgate to get solved today.

thf24
01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Ok did that happen in the locker room the same time Houston got a concussion? Dunlapgate to get solved today.

I heard a rumor that it was at practice but not a strictly basketball-related injury. May not be true and I can't even remember where I saw that; maybe someone else can come along and shed some light.

Outside Dawg
01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
For what its worth, several beat guys tweeted prior to the game that he was out again with a wrist injury.

thf24
01-08-2015, 09:11 AM
For what its worth, several beat guys tweeted prior to the game that he was out again with a wrist injury.

Oh that's right, I'd heard broken wrist way back there, not ankle like I originally said.

Dawg61
01-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Wrist makes more sense. Punching someone that would cause a concussion has the tendency to hurt wrists.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2015, 09:52 AM
He had a slight wrist fracture. Never was in a hard cast just soft one. Hope to be back in a week or so.

starkvegasdawg
01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Here is what was told me when he broke his wrist. Supposedly there is some tension between him and the other players. The side I was hearing was from Dunlap's family and friends so skewed to his side. They are saying he is one of the best shooters on the team and that some of the others are jealous because of that fact which has caused the tension. Dunlap is upset due to lack of playing time when he could well be one of the best shooters on the team which has him unhappy. The broken wrist happened in practice. He went up for a layup and was undercut by another player (rumored to be on purpose) which caused the injury. Again, this was all from his camp only and I am sure there are two sides to the story, but it does point to dissension among the team members and hard feelings towards Ray.

notoriousdog
01-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Makes sense to me. I'd be totally jealous of his 21% 3pt shooting.

Even before the injury, he just didn't look very good. He could be a serviceable player for us in the future, but he has to get stronger, quicker, and show us some of the shooting skill we heard about if he's going to play in the SEC.

thf24
01-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Here is what was told me when he broke his wrist. Supposedly there is some tension between him and the other players. The side I was hearing was from Dunlap's family and friends so skewed to his side. They are saying he is one of the best shooters on the team and that some of the others are jealous because of that fact which has caused the tension. Dunlap is upset due to lack of playing time when he could well be one of the best shooters on the team which has him unhappy. The broken wrist happened in practice. He went up for a layup and was undercut by another player (rumored to be on purpose) which caused the injury. Again, this was all from his camp only and I am sure there are two sides to the story, but it does point to dissension among the team members and hard feelings towards Ray.

Hearing that Ray can't reconcile the problem of teammates being jealous that one of their own is better than them makes me lose just about all of what little faith I had left in him. It really surprises me too, along with the no confidence, uninterested attitude we've displayed in most of our games after St. Louis this year, because keeping the team together and focused was practically the only thing Ray had going for him his first two years.

Makes sense to me. I'd be totally jealous of his 21% 3pt shooting.

Even before the injury, he just didn't look very good. He could be a serviceable player for us in the future, but he has to get stronger, quicker, and show us some of the shooting skill we heard about if he's going to play in the SEC.

He's a freshman. Other than one-and-dones, true freshmen generally don't come in and start shooting the lights out right away in games. I think Ravern shot 25% from 3 his first year, and made up a lot of ground on that number in the last 1/3 of that season. You can tell the ability is there with Dunlap. He's going to be good one for us before he's done here... provided he sticks it out through the coaching change that's most likely coming.

thunderclap
01-08-2015, 12:04 PM
After reading this thread and watching last nights game I believe we have the dumbest collection of basketball players and coach in the nation.

notoriousdog
01-08-2015, 12:40 PM
He's a freshman. Other than one-and-dones, true freshmen generally don't come in and start shooting the lights out right away in games. I think Ravern shot 25% from 3 his first year, and made up a lot of ground on that number in the last 1/3 of that season. You can tell the ability is there with Dunlap. He's going to be good one for us before he's done here... provided he sticks it out through the coaching change that's most likely coming.

I agree that he's just a freshman and it's way to early to tell if he'll be a good player, but I just don't see the ability that you mentioned. He needs a lot of development and looked totally outmatched when he was on the court.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 12:45 PM
He doesn't need to play much with his current shooting percentage because if he can't shoot what else does he have going for him?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-08-2015, 12:50 PM

So people are actually supposed to believe that the other players are jealous of Dunlap's ability to shoot the ball, so much so that they conspired to take him out? I'm not doubting that you did hear this, or that the Dunlap family is spreading this, but that is simply ludicrous. What I got from reading that account is that Dunlap is mad he's not playing more, and is taking his recent injury out on his teammates and coaches apparently.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 12:56 PM
So people are actually supposed to believe that the other players are jealous of Dunlap's ability to shoot the ball, so much so that they conspired to take him out? I'm not doubting that you did hear this, or that the Dunlap family is spreading this, but that is simply ludicrous. What I got from reading that account is that Dunlap is mad he's not playing more, and is taking his recent injury out on his teammates and coaches apparently.

I guess. Must have been the reason Jalen Steele was blackballed as well. Scorers on this team will NOT be tolerated! :(

starkvegasdawg
01-08-2015, 01:09 PM

I hope it isn't true but we did see something similar several years ago between Taite and Moulds. Although as far as I know there has been no boning of another's girlfriend in this instance. I really don't know if it is true or not, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see something is wrong with this team. Whether it is infighting amongst players, distrust of the staff, or both, something is wrong.

Without trying to give away too much info on a public board...here is how I know I was told. Someone I am related to teaches at Amanda Elzy which, as you know, is where he went to school. My relative teaches seniors when he was a senior there. I do not believe my relative taught him personally, but saw him quite often in the hallways and knew he was committed to MSU. Being a MSU fan my relative would often times tell him that MSU sure did need him on the team and that my relative could not wait until he was there to watch him play and contribute. Being in the senior wing my relative also knew and taught many of his friends. It was these friends that were repeating what they were hearing from Dunlap and his mom and other relatives of his. Now, as I stated in my OP, I am sure there is another side to this story but this is what appears to be the firm belief in the Dunlap camp. And perception is reality. Take it for what it's worth. In full disclosure, I have never met Dunlap and my relative has not seen him since he graduated.

shannondawg
01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm gonna leave that one alone.

Coach007
01-08-2015, 02:07 PM
I hope it isn't true but we did see something similar several years ago between Taite and Moulds. Although as far as I know there has been no boning of another's girlfriend in this instance. I really don't know if it is true or not, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see something is wrong with this team. Whether it is infighting amongst players, distrust of the staff, or both, something is wrong.

Without trying to give away too much info on a public board...here is how I know I was told. Someone I am related to teaches at Amanda Elzy which, as you know, is where he went to school. My relative teaches seniors when he was a senior there. I do not believe my relative taught him personally, but saw him quite often in the hallways and knew he was committed to MSU. Being a MSU fan my relative would often times tell him that MSU sure did need him on the team and that my relative could not wait until he was there to watch him play and contribute. Being in the senior wing my relative also knew and taught many of his friends. It was these friends that were repeating what they were hearing from Dunlap and his mom and other relatives of his. Now, as I stated in my OP, I am sure there is another side to this story but this is what appears to be the firm belief in the Dunlap camp. And perception is reality. Take it for what it's worth. In full disclosure, I have never met Dunlap and my relative has not seen him since he graduated.

NOT on a RAY team!! He's a disciplinarian! You all must be thinking of Sidney and Stans!

fishwater99
01-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Dunlap was overrated out of HS, and it had been showing from what I have seen of him so far.