PDA

View Full Version : Ready for baseball

msstate7
01-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Who are our starters in field most likely? Starting pitchers?

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 09:31 AM
1B-Rea
2B-Holland
SS-Heck
3B-Britton
C-Collins
LF-Hump
CF-Robson/Smith
RF-Brown
DH-Rooker/Reynolds
Spots will switch depending on L/R matchup.

Starters are Preston Brown, Lucas Laster for sure. Other spot may be Fr. Jesse McCord or So. Dakota Hudson.

engie
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM
That's 3 extra "power" bats than we started last year. We need Brown, Collins, Heck, and Britton to have improved a lot at the plate as well.

This could be the first time since 2011 that the offense is the strength of the club...

Political Hack
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM
That's 3 extra "power" bats than we started last year. We need Brown, Collins, Heck, and Britton to have improved a lot at the plate as well.

This could be the first time since 2011 that the offense is the strength of the club...

I was actually thinking the infield looked really solid defensively. Maybe that's a good sign.

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 10:58 AM
I made this prediction a few weeks ago: I think we will be really good. The defense will be superb and the offense (once it gets untracked-cold weather might hinder) will be better than we have had in years. I'm not really concerned about the starters bc there is real talent there, it is the bullpen with lack of experience and swagger. But that may change once they get going and stop looking for Holder to come in and save the day.

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Thought the talk was heck to second and holland at short?
Lineup looks really good defensively and really should be a good offensive group. Especially w the new balls.

jgunn
01-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Did Hump get some reps in the OF this past fall?

I seen it dawg
01-08-2015, 01:14 PM
What's the deal with Dakota Hudson and Austin Sexton?

BeardoMSU
01-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Our ability to move Slim back to the pen is huge, IMO.

Who is slated to be the closer? Or is will that be committee?

DudyDawg
01-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Our ability to move Slim back to the pen is huge, IMO.

Who is slated to be the closer? Or is will that be committee?

Talked about who will close last night at the basketball game (yeah, it was more entertaining). Tatum would be good. Heard Fitts from someone on here but not sure I agree with that. Think he would be a good middle reliever. Maybe it will have to be commitee

MetEdDawg
01-08-2015, 01:27 PM
I like the potential this team has. This team has the makings of one that grows into a very very good ball club. It's already pretty solid, but there is a lot of youth here.

I think we've got a really good mix of power and contact and defensively we should be really solid. My two biggest keys are:

1) What does Wes Rea give us? If he can go back to being that oppo machine with 2 strikes and get some better balance at the plate, he will have a really good year. Less strikeouts, more balls in play.

2) Can we solidify the 3rd starter spot? We need someone to step up into that spot and provide some consistency. I like Brown and I like Laster at 1-2, but McCord or Hudson has to step up and be a solid 3 for us.

I think we will score some runs and I think we will be very solid defensively. But if we can solidify those two things i mentioned we will be a very difficult team to beat by season's end.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Thought the talk was heck to second and holland at short?
Lineup looks really good defensively and really should be a good offensive group. Especially w the new balls.

Tried to tell you guys last year that Heck was likely not going to move. After a guy has shown himself to be as solid and consistent at SS as Heck showed last year you don't just willy-nilly move him to another infield position.

engie
01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Did Hump get some reps in the OF this past fall?

Basically all he played this fall, I believe...

engie
01-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Tried to tell you guys last year that Heck was likely not going to move. After a guy has shown himself to be as solid and consistent at SS as Heck showed last year you don't just willy-nilly move him to another infield position.

Cohen has stated it both ways in different interviews. The move from SS to 2B or viceversa isn't all that drastic really...

Ultimately, we've got to do both what is best for the team -- and what is best for kids' futures. Heck's arm strength limits him as a SS at the next level, and he most likely projects to 2B. So, if you've got a guy with better range and significantly more arm strength in Holland, who has already proven himself as a CWS shortstop as a true freshman, why not go ahead and make that move?

If Holland is not as good in some way or either is not comfortable with it, I'm good with leaving it how it is...

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Butch has said Fitts and Tatum are the closers. Right and left.

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Hump only played 3B when he had to in the fall. By all indications, he is playing LF and DH. In 2016, I see him playing more at 1B bc that is his draft year. He will be like his brother, OF and 1B.

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 01:56 PM
The 3rd spot is crowded at the moment. Hudson, Sexton, McCord are the leaders from what I believe. Butch said McCord could be Sunday starter by middle-end of season. Again, we need 5 starters bc durability is an issue. And they won't always go 6 innings. The Tuesday starter is still sort of a tryout for the weekend. Hudson who can be a 1st rounder is still working on his arm angle, etc. that Butch has taught him.

maroonmania
01-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Cohen has stated it both ways in different interviews. The move from SS to 2B or viceversa isn't all that drastic really...

Ultimately, we've got to do both what is best for the team -- and what is best for kids' futures. Heck's arm strength limits him as a SS at the next level, and he most likely projects to 2B. So, if you've got a guy with better range and significantly more arm strength in Holland, who has already proven himself as a CWS shortstop as a true freshman, why not go ahead and make that move?

If Holland is not as good in some way or either is not comfortable with it, I'm good with leaving it how it is...

I understand your point and I've never actually seen Holland play SS so maybe he's great there. However, I would hate to see us do a Britton move again where we place a guy at SS with supposedly better physical tools than Heck but can't handle the complex ins and outs of the SS position in a consistent manner like Heck does. Consistent fielding of the ball, making accurate throws, knowing how to position yourself and being captain of the infield are all more important than just whether or not a guy has the absolute strongest arm of all available infielders.

RiverCityDawg
01-08-2015, 02:03 PM
You're leaving out Vickerson. He was a frustrating player during most of last season, but had a great postseason, summer and fall. Plus, Cohen loves the guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in left and Hump at DH or vice versa.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Our pitching is going to be weak compared to where it's been the past few years. Our bats are going to have to pick up the slack

engie
01-08-2015, 02:15 PM
I hope this team steps up and becomes elite --- but it's the largest contingent of unknown we've had since the turnaround IMO.

2 years ago, alot of the unknown pieces worked out positively. Last year, almost everything went negatively. As long as this year is somewhere in the middle, we should be really good. If it goes like last year did, we could struggle to win 40.

40 overall should be our floor going forward IMO...

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I hope this team steps up and becomes elite --- but it's the largest contingent of unknown we've had since the turnaround IMO.

2 years ago, alot of the unknown pieces worked out positively. Last year, almost everything went negatively. As long as this year is somewhere in the middle, we should be really good. If it goes like last year did, we could struggle to win 40.

40 overall should be our floor going forward IMO...

You can forget about that. We ain't winning 30 this year.**

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2015, 04:27 PM
You're leaving out Vickerson. He was a frustrating player during most of last season, but had a great postseason, summer and fall. Plus, Cohen loves the guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in left and Hump at DH or vice versa.

The OF will have a rotation. At least 6 players will rotate and of course DH too. Again, depends on opposing pitcher. But Hump and Collins will hit every game in some capacity. We could have 3 LH hitters in the OF or 3 RH hitters. Just depends.

State82
01-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Definitely. It's going to be kind of a crapshoot from the start. I just hope we don't roll snake eyes but it should be a fun season. In Cohen we trust.

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
I think a lot of our season hinges on if one of the sophomores- Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, or if the freshman Jesse McCord can step up and be a quality starter. If they can't we're going to have to piece the staff together- but at least it will be pieced together with veterans like Fitts, Ross, Laster, and Preston Brown.

Here's what I hope to see:

Fri.- Hudson
Sat.- Brown/Ross
Sun.- Laster/Fitts

Closer- Tatum/Houston

Midweek- Paul Young (Starting in March)

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Heck (at the end of the year)
3B- Britton
SS- Holland (at the end of the year)
LF- Vickerson
CF- Robson/Smith
RF- Humphreys
DH- Cody Brown/Rooker

Homedawg
01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Hudson has a ton of potential. But at this point, that's all it is. He had a rough fall, thus the change in arm slot. Good part is he has the velo and you can't teach that. I'm not counting on him being a starter based on the conversations I've had. But it's still 2 months from the start of season-things change.

Homedawg
01-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I think a lot of our season hinges on if one of the sophomores- Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, or if the freshman Jesse McCord can step up and be a quality starter. If they can't we're going to have to piece the staff together- but at least it will be pieced together with veterans like Fitts, Ross, Laster, and Preston Brown.

Here's what I hope to see:

Fri.- Hudson
Sat.- Brown/Ross
Sun.- Laster/Fitts

Closer- Tatum/Houston

Midweek- Paul Young (Starting in March)

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Heck (at the end of the year)
3B- Britton
SS- Holland (at the end of the year)
LF- Vickerson
CF- Robson/Smith
RF- Humphreys
DH- Cody Brown/Rooker
todd, why would you have brown dhing instead of hump. Brown is probably our best defender in the outfield.

Todd4State
01-08-2015, 09:30 PM
I like Humphreys arm strength and how it could play in RF at Dudy-Noble. Brown, Vickerson, etc. will all get to play in the OF some.