PDA

View Full Version : So Collins is now Co-Def Coordinator at UF..

fishwater99
01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Randy Shannon is sharing the duties and coaching LB's too. Looks like Mullen's lateral move statement was more than correct.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-florida/article5452125.html

I am glad he left, Diaz is an upgrade IMO..

Political Hack
01-07-2015, 12:58 PM
lateral? It's a demotion, and he's working for a less proven head coach trying to revitalize a program that's being crushed in-state right now by Jimbo.

I appreciated Collins for his effort, but I'm glad we've got someone else calling the defense next year.

maroonmania
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
So what exactly IS Collins' job description at Florida? Of course there is something to be said for making more money with less responsibility. I certainly at least assume he got a raise.

engie
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Shannon at UF is about to be lethal IMO... both in recruiting and scheming. No one recruits south Florida any better than he does.

Collins walked into a situation where he's going to get alot of credit for stuff that may not necessarily be his doing. Kinda the inverse of possibly getting the blame for some stuff at MSU that may/may not have been his fault.

Collins was great in year 1. Year 2 is a bit of an enigma. Did some things great and some things terribly, ultimately failing expectations overall considering how much we brought back this year.

Original48
01-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Makes sense to me...a DC for 1A and a DC for 1B. I guess if Collins coordinates 1B then he'll know where he stands.

quickstrike2
01-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Makes sense to me...a DC for 1A and a DC for 1B. I guess if Collins coordinates 1B then he'll know where he stands.

Haha now it all makes since.

Coackjek
01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
I
Collins walked into a situation where he's going to get alot of credit for stuff that may not necessarily be his doing. Kinda the inverse of possibly getting the blame for some stuff at MSU that may/may not have been his fault.

Wilson 2.0?

Sacrifice
01-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Man WTH, Freakin Co DC???? Have they announced his salary yet? I wanna see how bad he wanted to get away from Mullen.. I'm glad we got Diaz. I hated it when we lost him and I'm glad we got him back...

EAVdog
01-07-2015, 01:34 PM
I think Collins got a little Rope-a-doped by Florida. They grabbed him to make sure they had a DC in place and then rolled the dice and came up with Shannon and had to do some shuffling. I bet he is gone from Florida in less than 2 years, either to a smaller school HC or just plain old out the door.

maroonmania
01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I think Collins got a little Rope-a-doped by Florida. They grabbed him to make sure they had a DC in place and then rolled the dice and came up with Shannon and had to do some shuffling. I bet he is gone from Florida in less than 2 years, either to a smaller school HC or just plain old out the door.

I don't know but it is starting to sound like Collins was ready to jump quick to get away from Mullen. Sounds like in this spot he didn't even guarantee his role before diving in.

Homedawg
01-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Everyone is reading too much into this co coordinator title. Collins is THE dc at Florida. Titles are handed out like candy at Halloween. This was a way to get Shannon more money. We do it and have done it. Hell wilson was co coordinator when manny was here. But manny was the one in charge. He called all the plays and set the gameplan. All the coaches help with the game plan, yes, but the final call was manny's. This is no different. Crap, tony Hughes is associate head coach, so does that mean he is second in line? Hell no.

blacklistedbully
01-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Everyone is reading too much into this co coordinator title. Collins is THE dc at Florida. Titles are handed out like candy at Halloween. This was a way to get Shannon more money. We do it and have done it. Hell wilson was co coordinator when manny was here. But manny was the one in charge. He called all the plays and set the gameplan. All the coaches help with the game plan, yes, but the final call was manny's. This is no different. Crap, tony Hughes is associate head coach, so does that mean he is second in line? Hell no.

Yeah, but hard to imagine Shannon taking a back seat to Collins, whatever the titles say.

Political Hack
01-07-2015, 02:42 PM

I want to be co-coordinator.

maroonmania
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM

So it looks like Collins and Shannon will become good buddies. Apparently they both have "defensive coordinator" in their title and I guess both will be coaching LBs (unless Collins is moving to another position group). They will be seeing a LOT of each other.

Really Clark?
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
I think it was also stated that the co-DC title was to help Shannon with his buyout clause from Arkansas as well.

Coach34
01-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Yeah, but hard to imagine Shannon taking a back seat to Collins, whatever the titles say.

He doesnt have a choice. Collins is THE DC and got a hefty raise from us

Johnson85
01-07-2015, 03:58 PM
So what exactly IS Collins' job description at Florida? Of course there is something to be said for making more money with less responsibility. I certainly at least assume he got a raise.

He is the Defensive Coordinator. Shannon is the Co-Defensive Coordinator. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. I think people are just assuming if there is one Co-Defensive Coordinator, that it implies there is another Co-Defensive Coordinator that he is 'Co' with. But I think it's just a game they're playing with titles. Shannon is essentially the assistant Defensive Coordinator, just like Wilson was at State.

blacklistedbully
01-07-2015, 05:08 PM
During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

Yes, he struggled as HC at Miami, ultimately leading to getting fired. But he also cleaned up a lot of the mess over there with the thuggery and got their academics up.

Bottom line is he's a Broyles Award winner as the DC at Miami, coached LB's in the NFL, and has a much better track record as DC than Collins. And Shannon is only 5 years older than Collins, so no "Torbush" type situation here.

Collins may have the title, and he may indeed be THE DC to start, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if his rope got a lot shorter with the hiring of Shannon.

Then again, maybe the thought is to have Shannon "positively influence" Collins until Shannon either gets another gig, or Collins fails so they can turn it over to Shannon completely.