PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas makes their assistants sign an SEC Non-Compete clause. Why don't we do this?

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2015, 09:10 AM
I thought this was interesting. I realize that everything in a contract is negotiable, but, if Arkansas can get their assistant coaches to sign an SEC non-complete clause in their contracts, I'm not sure why we can't get ours to do the same thing.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-I-worry-every-night-about-losing-my-assistants

Aces High
01-07-2015, 09:12 AM
No compete clauses are dumb. Why would you make them sign that? I dont know how college football works but non competes usually dont hold up in the real world. Not in my experience.

CadaverDawg
01-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Because we wouldn't be able to hire anybody. That won't last if Bert wants to keep hiring decent assistants

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Because we wouldn't be able to hire anybody. That won't last if Bert wants to keep hiring decent assistants

I agree, but it is interesting, and I'm curious to see what kind of coaches they attract

Aces High
01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
No coach worth a shit will sign that.

Thick
01-07-2015, 09:49 AM
ASU signing their death certificate with that crap.

state66
01-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Just put a buyout in their contract so we can at least make money when they leave.

DanDority
01-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Well, it worked so well with Shannon

Dawgface
01-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Just put a buyout in their contract so we can at least make money when they leave.

This. Looks like we our going in that direction with Diaz being the first as far as I know.

paco
01-07-2015, 09:59 AM
No compete clauses are dumb. Why would you make them sign that? I dont know how college football works but non competes usually dont hold up in the real world. Not in my experience.

If you've ever operated a business with sensitive information, you would know that Non-Compete/Non-Dislosure is VERY important in hiring an employee. Non-Competes hold up every day in courtrooms. There are bounderies to Non-Competes that will nullify the document if too strict.

Coach34
01-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Exactly

Aces High
01-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Shannon wasnt under a non compete. None of the original staff was. They will not attract elite coaches with that clause. Just like companies will have a hard time attracting elite veteran sales guys or whatever with a similar clause. Id never sign one. I got asked once and refused and nothing happened.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2015, 10:08 AM

If you read the article, Shannon didn't have it in his contract because Beliema started doing it in his second year, and Shannon was there his first year.

HSVDawg
01-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Because its not fair to the assistants, for the most part. Think about it from their perspective. Assistants are canned after one bad year, but they can't move up to a better job after a good year? Thats why these clauses would limit attractive candidates.

FlabLoser
01-07-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm almost certain non-competes are illegal in the State of MS. MS is a "right to work" state. You have the right to be hired and fired with no restrictions.

In practice, some companies in MS do have non-competes and some employees do sue after being fired. Neither of those are legal in a strict sense. But what's legal generally has little to do with whether or not somebody decides to file a lawsuit. Lawsuits can be filed with or without any merit whatsoever.

Johnson85
01-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm almost certain non-competes are illegal in the State of MS. MS is a "right to work" state. You have the right to be hired and fired with no restrictions.

In practice, some companies in MS do have non-competes and some employees do sue after being fired. Neither of those are legal in a strict sense. But what's legal generally has little to do with whether or not somebody decides to file a lawsuit. Lawsuits can be filed with or without any merit whatsoever.

This is incorrect. non-competes are generally enforceable in MS, just like elsewhere, subject to some restrictions. Mainly that the scope be reasonable with respect to time and geographical reach. There are also some professions where they are frowned upon if not entirely unenforceable, such as with lawyers (I think completely unenforceable).

The right to work laws generally prohibit unions from negotiating into their contract a closed chop provision requiring that anybody the employee hire for unionized positions be a part of the union. I've never heard of them used outside of that context.