PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma making lots of changes. Does that help us w/ Campbell?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Looks like Heupel is out, and Mike Stoops possibly. And the media is saying more changes are coming. Any chance that helps us with Campbell? I think he has a final 3 of us, OU, and Fredo

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Oklahoma isn't a factor for Campbell's signature. It's MSU vs Ole Miss for that one.

He likes OK, but it's simply to far from home and his girlfriend

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Looks like Heupel is out, and Mike Stoops possibly. And the media is saying more changes are coming. Any chance that helps us with Campbell? I think he has a final 3 of us, OU, and Fredo

Im not worried about Gabe at all. My guess is that he commits to us when he visits.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2015, 09:58 AM
I do think Oklahoma is sitting 3rd but it's not too far away from his g'frd. His g'frd goes to school out of state now but they'll attending the same college. So if she said I want to go to Oklahoma guaranteed he'd be on a flight to Norman.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 10:06 AM
I do think Oklahoma is sitting 3rd but it's not too far away from his g'frd. His g'frd goes to school out of state now but they'll attending the same college. So if she said I want to go to Oklahoma guaranteed he'd be on a flight to Norman.

Unless they have a kid together, it's usually a huge mistake to make life decisions based off a high school "love". I wonder how that O-lineman that spurned us for his gf and USM is liking it down there? Hopefully though, she's a bulldog!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Unless they have a kid together, it's usually a huge mistake to make life decisions based off a high school "love". I wonder how that O-lineman that spurned us for his gf and USM is liking it down there? Hopefully though, she's a bulldog!

Oh I totally agree but she's leading that recruitment. You know a lot of times is "get mama on your side & you get the kid"? Well in this case it's "get the g'frd & you get the kid". Our staff knows this so they're recruiting her as well as him.

BiscuitEater
01-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Had a very 'bad' year. Pre-season, Oklahoma was the #4 team in the nation. (meanwhile, MSU was 'picked' at #36) They lost some really close games ... by 4 to TCU, 1 to KSU, & by 3 to their in-state 'rival' OSU. Finished 8-5, #4 in the B12.

BUT, kicker was the 'blow out' to Clemson, 40-6, in the Citrus. Big Sooner fans are restless and demanding changes. Stoops is making the changes to save his place as HC.

Stoops has had a couple of bad years and usually 'rebounds' BUT two in a row would mean a HC change.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Had a very 'bad' year. Pre-season, Oklahoma was the #4 team in the nation. (meanwhile, MSU was 'picked' at #36) They lost some really close games ... by 4 to TCU, 1 to KSU, & by 3 to their in-state 'rival' OSU. Finished 8-5, #4 in the B12.

BUT, kicker was the 'blow out' to Clemson, 40-6, in the Citrus. Big Sooner fans are restless and demanding changes. Stoops is making the changes to save his place as HC.

Stoops has had a couple of bad years and usually 'rebounds' BUT two in a row would mean a HC change.

They also got blown off the field by Baylor 48-14. They collapsed, looked uninspired, and frankly looked awful.

Chip
01-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Big Donors and Regents are unhappy with the losses and the direction of the program. They're giving Stoops a chance to make the changes to get it turned around. 8 win seasons doesn't float the "Schooner" in Norman.

Bob Stoops is having a press conference at 11 am CT today to discuss. So far, OC Josh Heupel (Sooner alum QB who led them to the 2000 championship and who's sister is married to OU President David Boren's son) has been let go. Also, Co-OC and WR coach Jay Norvell has been fired. I don't think much of Heupel, but Norvell is a hell of a WR recruiter - think Ryan Broyles, Kenny Stills, Sterling Shepherd (though he is an OU legacy), Lacoltan Bester, Michiah Quck out of CA from last year's class.

They expect that OL coach Bedenbaugh, DL coach Montgomery and RB coach Cale Gundy are the only coaches "safe".

DC Mike Stoops, LB coach Kish, DB coach Wright, and TE/Special Teams coach Boulware are all on the chopping block.

As far as Gabe Campbell is concerned, Montgomery is the lead OU recruiter, and he's a damned good recruiter. He just got a commitment from 5 star DE Neville Gallimore at the US Army game. They're looking for one more DE, and besides Campbell are in on one to two more. I think they prefer Campbell. Distance is the main deal, as suggested otherwise. The OU reporters don't think Ole Miss is a factor. They've suggested MSU and OU as the final two.

jumbo
01-06-2015, 11:37 AM
I think Campbell is a lot like Grant Harris last year. Doesn't do a lot of interviews and hard to get a read on, but in the end he'll be a Bulldog.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Big Donors and Regents are unhappy with the losses and the direction of the program. They're giving Stoops a chance to make the changes to get it turned around. 8 win seasons doesn't float the "Schooner" in Norman.

Bob Stoops is having a press conference at 11 am CT today to discuss. So far, OC Josh Heupel (Sooner alum QB who led them to the 2000 championship and who's sister is married to OU President David Boren's son) has been let go. Also, Co-OC and WR coach Jay Norvell has been fired. I don't think much of Heupel, but Norvell is a hell of a WR recruiter - think Ryan Broyles, Kenny Stills, Sterling Shepherd (though he is an OU legacy), Lacoltan Bester, Michiah Quck out of CA from last year's class.

They expect that OL coach Bedenbaugh, DL coach Montgomery and RB coach Cale Gundy are the only coaches "safe".

DC Mike Stoops, LB coach Kish, DB coach Wright, and TE/Special Teams coach Boulware are all on the chopping block.

As far as Gabe Campbell is concerned, Montgomery is the lead OU recruiter, and he's a damned good recruiter. He just got a commitment from 5 star DE Neville Gallimore at the US Army game. They're looking for one more DE, and besides Campbell are in on one to two more. I think they prefer Campbell. Distance is the main deal, as suggested otherwise. The OU reporters don't think Ole Miss is a factor. They've suggested MSU and OU as the final two.

What's the reason for the increased attention on MS prospects by Oklahoma? In the past, they weren't very active in the state.

Chip
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
What's the reason for the increased attention on MS prospects by Oklahoma? In the past, they weren't very active in the state.

IMO, they've had some problems recruiting in Texas. Oklahoma doesn't produce a lot of top talent. They usually get the 2 to 3 top players out of Oklahoma that they want. OSU gets the rest. OU's brand isn't what it was in the mid to late previous decade. Stoops has been there about 16 years and that's a long time - probably longer than it should be in this day and age. Energy level isn't what it once was, etc. After the Rhett Bomar incident, OU has been shy to get in the pay for play game. Boren has tried to upgrade the academic side of the university and he doesn't want football transgressions halting the progress of what he's tried to build on the academic side. Stoops recently bitched in public about the compliance red tape he has to deal with now (their own version of Bracky Brett), and how unhappy he is with that.

The problems in Texas are multi-fold. One, A&M is now in the SEC and have Sumlin, which is attractive to top athletes. Two, TCU has been upgraded to the Big12 from whatever WAC-type of conference they were once part of, so they're now a local option for top players. Three, with Briles as HC, Baylor is an option now, whereas they weren't for big time players before. Texas is still Texas as far as recruiting is concerned, and is going to draw top talent. In the last few years, Florida State, Alabama have reached into Texas and poached a couple of top flight DLs. Stanford and Oregon draw a good number of Texans to their football program.

Because of the recent (last 5 to 6 years) of problems in Texas, OU has turned to a more national recruiting strategy. They've focused heavily on California. They have a GA named Chip Viney out of the Fresno area that has been instrumental in that. Viney has been able to pull some top talent out of Cali for them. Montgomery had been the DL coach at Michigan, and has some strengths in the upper midwest and mid atlantic, where they've had some recent recruiting concentration. (DE Gallimore was a recruiting win over Ohio State. Gallimore is actually from Canada) Because of the depth of talent in the deep south, they've had some focus on Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. In Mississippi, they initially had some success with CC players - Lacoltan Bester, being one. Jamal Danley from EMCC, another. They were also able to pull DB Tito Windham out of Harrison Central last year.

They just pull one to two from these several states as part of their current strategy. In this year's class in addition to Danley out of EMCC, a four star LB DeBerry out of Virginia, a four star OL out of Shreveport, four star OL out of Cali, as a way to round out the Oklahoma and Texas kids.

Chip
01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
At Stoops' presser, Montgomery to Co-DC. Mike Stoops is staying on as Co-DC. He didn't mention any other changes to staff - yet. Most think LB coach Kish and DB coach Wright gone, but they probably won't be gone until after signing day.

NCDawg
01-06-2015, 12:39 PM
I think Campbell is a lot like Grant Harris last year. Doesn't do a lot of interviews and hard to get a read on, but in the end he'll be a Bulldog.

I really dislike these type of comments. No one knows exactly what the kid will do, so don't be so positive. I've read on this board many times where we have no doubt a certain kid is coming with us, and "at the end of the day", he signs with somebody else.

DudyDawg
01-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Heupel is a good young coach, but he wasn't ready for that size program. That said, I think this won't be his last time at a big program. As far as stoops, he's still the big man but his seat luke warm IMO. Not hot, but he ain't comfy. Tamu moving to the sec might be hurting them already, and they desperately need a qb.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2015, 12:54 PM
I really dislike these type of comments. No one knows exactly what the kid will do, so don't be so positive. I've read on this board many times where we have no doubt a certain kid is coming with us, and "at the end of the day", he signs with somebody else.

So instead think negative? Of course nobody knows for sure what a kid will do but instead of being positive we should be negative.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
IMO, they've had some problems recruiting in Texas. Oklahoma doesn't produce a lot of top talent. They usually get the 2 to 3 top players out of Oklahoma that they want. OSU gets the rest. OU's brand isn't what it was in the mid to late previous decade. Stoops has been there about 16 years and that's a long time - probably longer than it should be in this day and age. Energy level isn't what it once was, etc. After the Rhett Bomar incident, OU has been shy to get in the pay for play game. Boren has tried to upgrade the academic side of the university and he doesn't want football transgressions halting the progress of what he's tried to build on the academic side. Stoops recently bitched in public about the compliance red tape he has to deal with now (their own version of Bracky Brett), and how unhappy he is with that.

The problems in Texas are multi-fold. One, A&M is now in the SEC and have Sumlin, which is attractive to top athletes. Two, TCU has been upgraded to the Big12 from whatever WAC-type of conference they were once part of, so they're now a local option for top players. Three, with Briles as HC, Baylor is an option now, whereas they weren't for big time players before. Texas is still Texas as far as recruiting is concerned, and is going to draw top talent. In the last few years, Florida State, Alabama have reached into Texas and poached a couple of top flight DLs. Stanford and Oregon draw a good number of Texans to their football program.

Because of the recent (last 5 to 6 years) of problems in Texas, OU has turned to a more national recruiting strategy. They've focused heavily on California. They have a GA named Chip Viney out of the Fresno area that has been instrumental in that. Viney has been able to pull some top talent out of Cali for them. Montgomery had been the DL coach at Michigan, and has some strengths in the upper midwest and mid atlantic, where they've had some recent recruiting concentration. (DE Gallimore was a recruiting win over Ohio State. Gallimore is actually from Canada) Because of the depth of talent in the deep south, they've had some focus on Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. In Mississippi, they initially had some success with CC players - Lacoltan Bester, being one. Jamal Danley from EMCC, another. They were also able to pull DB Tito Windham out of Harrison Central last year.

They just pull one to two from these several states as part of their current strategy. In this year's class in addition to Danley out of EMCC, a four star LB DeBerry out of Virginia, a four star OL out of Shreveport, four star OL out of Cali, as a way to round out the Oklahoma and Texas kids.

That makes a lot of sense and I can understand the Juco's, but how do they have an "in" with a kid at Harrison Central? Their must be a coach on the staff that has MS ties or something for them to grab a MS high school kid.

Chip
01-06-2015, 02:02 PM
That makes a lot of sense and I can understand the Juco's, but how do they have an "in" with a kid at Harrison Central? Their must be a coach on the staff that has MS ties or something for them to grab a MS high school kid.

I don't have an answer for you regarding Windham. Story I've heard is that Mike Stoops saw his film early - how he got it, I don't know - and liked him a lot and offered him immediately after, and Windham bit on the offer almost immediately. It may have been his first offer. We picked up the other CB from that class at Harrison Central, I think. Windham had a late push from Florida State (which is quite a bit closer geographically to Harrison Central), but stuck with his original commitment.

The only reports on Windham that I read were from fall camp. They like him though he redshirted, and I expect him to work into a CB rotation next year, as well as special teams.

On Campbell, I'd heard that he literally reached out to Oklahoma himself. He tripped there about 60 days ago, and enjoyed it. If not for distance, I think he might have committed. They think that State leads, and that he has ample State influence people around him, but that if he decides to do anything different than State, they'd be the choice. I've read he's sort of a quiet sort, who might do the "different" thing, which is why they're still pursuing.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Like the post above Oklahoma was Windham 1st offer & he jumped on it. They also offered our commit Durr but he waited for his MSU offer & took it. Concerning Campbell he actually grew up liking Oklahoma & yes he did initiate contact to let them know he was interested. After MSU, OM, & Bama offered it was a no brainer by their coaching staff to return the interest when he started the process 1st.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't have an answer for you regarding Windham. Story I've heard is that Mike Stoops saw his film early - how he got it, I don't know - and liked him a lot and offered him immediately after, and Windham bit on the offer almost immediately. It may have been his first offer. We picked up the other CB from that class at Harrison Central, I think. Windham had a late push from Florida State (which is quite a bit closer geographically to Harrison Central), but stuck with his original commitment.

The only reports on Windham that I read were from fall camp. They like him though he redshirted, and I expect him to work into a CB rotation next year, as well as special teams.

On Campbell, I'd heard that he literally reached out to Oklahoma himself. He tripped there about 60 days ago, and enjoyed it. If not for distance, I think he might have committed. They think that State leads, and that he has ample State influence people around him, but that if he decides to do anything different than State, they'd be the choice. I've read he's sort of a quiet sort, who might do the "different" thing, which is why they're still pursuing.

Like the post above Oklahoma was Windham 1st offer & he jumped on it. They also offered our commit Durr but he waited for his MSU offer & took it. Concerning Campbell he actually grew up liking Oklahoma & yes he did initiate contact to let them know he was interested. After MSU, OM, & Bama offered it was a no brainer by their coaching staff to return the interest when he started the process 1st.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity, I was intrigued at how that all played out. It probably doesn't hurt that D Warren is an Oklahoma fan...

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Reminds me of Jackie circa 2001-2002. Looks like a career death spiral from the outside.

Chip
01-06-2015, 08:38 PM
You're welcome. My knowledge of Oklahoma football isn't perfect, but I follow it fairly closely. Given my situation, I probably know the OU situation better than anyone in MS. My wife is a Dallas girl, who is an OU alum, and her father is too. He's very tied in with former OU QB Bob Warmack from the late 60s, who he's known from when he was up there, and some others. Warmack handles some financial issues for us. So I get some pretty good intel. He uses a couple of my father-in-laws seats at Gaylord Stadium.

Chip
01-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Reminds me of Jackie circa 2001-2002. Looks like a career death spiral from the outside.

BTO - I think you're right. I told my FIL after the Baylor loss that they needed to have a mutual parting of ways with Bob at the end of the season. You know, where Bob gets another job sort of thing, either in the Admin or at another school to finish his career. He's burned out. 16 years is a long time at one place, these days.

I don't think he'll right the ship, the way their fanbase thinks the ship should be righted. Meaning - 10 to 11 win seasons every year, conference championships every other year, and positions in the final four every other year.

He's already the record holder at OU for most wins - ahead of Barry Switzer, Bud Wilkerson and Bennie Owen - all of which had 120+ wins themselves. Bob won one NC and choked a couple of others away. He could have tied Switzer and Wilkerson on the NCs with 3 pretty easily, but I don't think he'll every get them back in that game - and neither do most of the fans.

The problem with a big program having a long time successful coach is that when everyone knows it's time for him to leave, you can't just fire him. He has earned the right to go out his way - unfortunately. Bobby Bowden's debacle is an example. Paterno's. There are others. It's just tough to show the guy the door when he's been as successful as Bob, even though you know the door for him is what the program really needs.

MabenMaroon
01-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Sort of sounds a bit like Mack Brown, also losing to TU in the Red River showdown did not help his cause, especially as down as TU is right now. The TU/OU rivalry is extremely important to the Sooner fans.

CadaverDawg
01-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Oklahoma isn't a factor for Campbell's signature. It's MSU vs Ole Miss for that one.

He likes OK, but it's simply to far from home and his girlfriend

You were saying....

CadaverDawg
01-07-2015, 12:40 AM

Nailed it

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2015, 12:58 AM
You were saying....

Yea, I'm shocked. I thought we'd get him.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2015, 01:13 AM
nm

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2015, 01:16 AM
NM

maroonmania
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Stoops is on the way out in Mack Brown fashion. The foundation is already crumbling and OU fans are getting tired of mediocrity. Hope Campbell enjoys being there for the coaching change.

fishwater99
01-07-2015, 10:04 AM

So, it's not over yet? You are saying we still have a chance?

l

maroonmania
01-07-2015, 11:21 AM
So, it's not over yet? You are saying we still have a chance?

l

Well, let's hope we still have a better chance than Lloyd Christmas had.

Chip
01-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Sorry to be the precursor to bad news. I'm pretty surprised about this as well. Everything i've read had him a dawg lean - family and all. I wasn't aware of the girlfriend situation. Apparently, he's got a pretty solid independent streak, as i'd suggested might be the case. Also as i'd stated, montgomery is a hell of a recruiter. He's picking them off, one by one, throughout the country, despite the OU boat in stormy seas. I don't know how much coach he is yet, but he can sell shrimp to a shrimp boat captain.