PDA

View Full Version : Interesting.....

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 08:56 AM
On New Orleans radio this morning

Michael Detillier
‏@MikeDetillier
RT "@jamesharalson: Ed Orgeron Says that he's been contacted by Dan Mullen at Mississippi State. "We had a great conversation."interesting"

Didn't Orgeron say he hadn't been contacted only a few days ago?

Why would he admit this now? Do you guys make anything of this?

missouridawg
01-06-2015, 08:58 AM
On New Orleans radio this morning

Michael Detillier
‏@MikeDetillier
RT "@jamesharalson: Ed Orgeron Says that he's been contacted by Dan Mullen at Mississippi State. "We had a great conversation."interesting"

Didn't Orgeron say he hadn't been contacted only a few days ago?

Why would he admit this now? Do you guys make anything of this?

I really, really, really hope that we're about to swap out Turner for Orgeron. I like Turner. But O is way better in this spot.

thf24
01-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Manny as DC with O as DL coach/recruiting coordinator/assistant HC is my dream scenario. My only issue with the Manny hire by itself is that it's a downgrade from Collins in terms of recruiting, but bringing in O would make up for that plus much more.

Of course, it would be hard to justify paying the kind of money O most likely wants for anything less than a formal coordinator spot, but maybe he'll compromise now that it's looking like he may have been left out in the cold for a potential spot at LSU.

EAVdog
01-06-2015, 09:18 AM
A National Championship caliber team would justify the expense of bringing in O as Assistant Head Coach / Recruiting Coordinator.

Dawg496
01-06-2015, 09:20 AM
http://yah-tube.com/videos/119/can_we_please_god.jpg

I'll take bad everything bad I've said.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm not going to get excited....but this could get interesting. Adding O to our staff could be a homerun.

We are saving money with Diaz over Collins. Does anybody know what Turner makes? If he is in the 300k range and we were prepared to give him and Collins a bump in pay...we may have an extra 750k out there that we could dangle in front of O as a DL/Recruiting Coord position. I won't believe it unless I see far more smoke though.

Orgeron may be getting desperate since we hired a DC. He could be trying to push LSU or someone else to make a move. Never know. It's fun January drama to watch regardless.

Dawg496
01-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Any chance Sallach gets moved to the office, Hughes to TE and Turner remains on staff? Turner could be the "DL coach" while O called the front of the D like he did with Clancy.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm not going to get excited....but this could get interesting. Adding O to our staff could be a homerun.

We are saving money with Diaz over Collins. Does anybody know what Turner makes? If he is in the 300k range and we were prepared to give him and Collins a bump in pay...we may have an extra 750k out there that we could dangle in front of O as a DL/Recruiting Coord position. I won't believe it unless I see far more smoke though.

Orgeron may be getting desperate since we hired a DC. He could be trying to push LSU or someone else to make a move. Never know. It's fun January drama to watch regardless.

It would be awesome, but I just don't see Mullen getting rid of David Turner. He is a good coach who is also the lead recruiter on Fletcher Adams, Gabe Campbell, and possibly others.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Mike Detillier just said on Bo Bounds that schools are allowed 1 extra assistant coach starting this spring.

Does anyone know anything about this?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 09:29 AM
It would be awesome, but I just don't see Mullen getting rid of David Turner. He is a good coach who is also the lead recruiter on Fletcher Adams, Gabe Campbell, and possibly others.

Yea, not to mention O could be gone a year from now, and we would have lost Turner on a wild card.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Mike Detillier just said on Bo Bounds that schools are allowed 1 extra assistant coach starting this spring.

I didn't know that.

Any chance we could convince O to JUST be recruiting coordinator, and pay him 500k? Or Co-DC/Recruiting and pay him what we're paying Manny?

whosyourdawgy
01-06-2015, 09:34 AM
All of you pushing Turner out the door are idiots. The man has been a great coach for us. He he developed our dline, been a great recruiter, and done absolutely nothing to warrant anything but a pay raise. Only way O comes on staff will be something other than dline coach unless he gets another job

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
All of you pushing Turner out the door are idiots. The man has been a great coach for us. He he developed our dline, been a great recruiter, and done absolutely nothing to warrant anything but a pay raise. Only way O comes on staff will be something other than dline coach unless he gets another job

I agree with this

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 09:36 AM

I thought that was talked as being a possibility but isn't definite yet. Could be wrong tho.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I didn't know that.

Any chance we could convince O to JUST be recruiting coordinator, and pay him 500k? Or Co-DC/Recruiting and pay him what we're paying Manny?

Possibly, but, if the NCAA is allowing an extra assistant like Detillier said, then O's leverage just went way up since every program in the country would be needing an extra coach. I don't see it.

I just don't understand why O said 2 days ago that he hadn't spoken to Mullen, and now he says that he did.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I agree with this
Turner is the least liked coach on the staff. He has been an average recruiter and an average DL coach. The whole he has developed our DL is not true. Who has he really developed on out dl? I would say most have taken a step back in the last two years.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 09:39 AM

I'm not pushing him out. At the same time though,I disagree about him deserving a raise. We had more talent than ever on our DL this year, and were far from dominant. That talent could have made any DL coach in the country look above average. That shit show in the bowl game was embarrassing.

That being said, I still don't think we should get rid of Turner. He's an above average DL coach overall.

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Turner is the least liked coach on the staff. He has been an average recruiter and an average DL coach. The whole he has developed our DL is not true. Who has he really developed on out dl? I would say most have taken a step back in the last two years.

I disagree. Preston Smith, Eulls, PJ, A J, Adams, Brown, Nick James, they have all gotten better. You may have a case with Chris this year but was really good as a true freshman and the weight seems to be an issue late this year.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2015, 09:43 AM

I know Nick James and Preston Smith have gotten better. I don't see how you would know who the least liked coach on the staff is. Is our coaching staff a bunch of high school girls going around talking about who they don't like?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 09:51 AM

^^^This^^^ I'd lose any negative thought I've ever had about OUR program.

maroonmania
01-06-2015, 09:59 AM
I disagree. Preston Smith, Eulls, PJ, A J, Adams, Brown, Nick James, they have all gotten better. You may have a case with Chris this year but was really good as a true freshman and the weight seems to be an issue late this year.

Well, if you had made this statement midway through the year I would have agreed 100%. However, after the way our very experienced and fairly talented DL got pushed around like girls in both the Egg Bowl and Orange Bowl, I really don't care whether Turner stays or goes. The end of the year was flat out embarrassing for our DL.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2015, 10:00 AM
He has been an average recruiter
I'll agree with this part, but Turner is a pretty damn good D-Line coach. He definitely isn't setting the world on fire as a recruiter as he is ranked #143 on 247 and isn't listed as the primary recruiter for any of the commitments.

JDog13
01-06-2015, 10:07 AM
We lost some good recruits when Manny went to Texas. I don't know that Diaz is that big of a downgrade in recruiting from Collins.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Turner is the primary recruiter for Keith Joseph & Trevor Jung & the secondary for Calvin, Adams, Mullins, & Kendell Jones (all the DL recruits).

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Well, if you had made this statement midway through the year I would have agreed 100%. However, after the way our very experienced and fairly talented DL got pushed around like girls in both the Egg Bowl and Orange Bowl, I really don't care whether Turner stays or goes. The end of the year was flat out embarrassing for our DL.

I really think fatigue was as much of the issue as possible coaching. Did he forget how to coach mid way through the season. The number of plays our defense went against put us number 103 in the country. And second most in the SEC behind MO. We played a game more than UM 977 vs 901. I think this was an issue for the team at the end. And sometimes the body just hits a wall and needs recovery time. This offseason is critical for that.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
I really think fatigue was as much of the issue as possible coaching. Did he forget how to coach mid way through the season. The number of plays our defense went against put us number 103 in the country. And second most in the SEC behind MO. We played a game more than UM 977 vs 901. I think this was an issue for the team at the end. And sometimes the body just hits a wall and needs recovery time. This offseason is critical for that.

I thought 1A/1B was supposed to wipe out any fatigue excuses?

jumbo
01-06-2015, 10:25 AM
don't get excited

James Haralson ‏@jamesharalson 21m21 minutes ago
@jkam12 he was contacted for the DC job before the Diaz hire.

msstate7
01-06-2015, 10:39 AM

This is the reason I want to get rid of bend but don't break defense. If you pretty much give away yards (first downs), it leaves your defense on the field too much.

I know everyone wants to go faster on offense, but I'm not sure I like it. Quick 3 and outs put stress on your defense. Quick scoring drives do the same. I think we need to find a way to not lose effectiveness on offense, but up our TOP

maroonmania
01-06-2015, 10:46 AM
don't get excited

James Haralson ‏@jamesharalson 21m21 minutes ago
@jkam12 he was contacted for the DC job before the Diaz hire.

So is everyone that we talked to about the job going to go public now? Heck, I hope Mullen talked to a large number of candidates.

Coach34
01-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I just don't understand why O said 2 days ago that he hadn't spoken to Mullen, and now he says that he did.

He may have decided to spin it as he turned us down now that we hired Manny

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 11:04 AM
I thought 1A/1B was supposed to wipe out any fatigue excuses?

Yeah. I think that was the strategy. But it just didn't work, especially with the secondary and with injuries. We went from 833 plays last year to 977 this year. That's a 2 1/4 game increase. Again this is just a theory, but I do believe that is what the 1a/1b stuff was to try to help prevent. We had a special offense and a great starting defense with solid back ups. We could win a lot of games with just solid defensive play and hopefully the defense would be more level in play throughout the year. But we still saw at the end of the year the 1a's brought in more to help in the stressful red zone area's. The 1b's, especially the secondary couldn't hold up. I think it was just a piece of the puzzle of the late collapse of the defense.

And it wasn't just us. UM, Bama, MO, us all had good defenses that at the end gave up a lot of points and had injuries. MO the last two years their defense have had over 1,000 plays and in the title game what has happened? Granted they are playing good teams but if you are not fundamentally sound against good teams (bad tackling) you will get beat bad. Has anyone seen a Bama team tackle as bad as they did against OSU and were dragging people out of the stands to play LB. Their defense played nearly 2 1/2 games more this year. UM at the end of this year, etc.

Like I said it's just a theory I've been looking at an why we tried the two unit deal. With better depth in the secondary it probably works but just like a pitcher, at some point you hit a wall and just become dead. You also have to build up to have enough stamina and make take a year or two to adjust the conditioning. Add the mental stress of a first time #1 ranking. Anyway it's just a theory and wish I could find more I depth study on the increased number of plays of offenses causing increased defensive plays and a correlation of injuries. Especially with the advent of the spread (which I like) but as a defense you have to cover side to side and make a lot more cuts against the spread. Compounding the issue for us is we also have to be built to handle the power games of Bama, LSU, Arkansas and even a multiple team like Auburn.

engie
01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
If you can get O as DL coach, you give him a 3 year deal just like Manny's, with a buyout, and you shuffle Turner. Probably at least 120 of 128 teams in the country would make this move if given the opportunity.

Before anyone talks about our great DL play under Turner, I give them this. Footballoutsiders has a proprietary formula to rank DLs and OLs that you can read up on on their site. The gist of it is, it's measuring our DL against other DLs in all sorts of categories, in a way we've never seen in college football before(line play has always been the eye test -- these guys are changing that). It even goes as far as to figure the same thing for opposing OLs/RBs, thus allowing the DL numbers to be independent of SOS in many cases(adjustedstats basically). Feel free to read up on it on their site -- I still don't have a full understanding of all of it either, but it's a great measurement tool.

Overall DL numbers:
Adjusted Line Yds - 44th nationally
Standard Down Line Yards Per Carry - 53rd nationally
Pass Down Line Yards Per Carry - 120th nationally(when we thought the pass was coming, we absolutely could not stop the run)
Opportunity Rate - 65th(percentage of carries given up that go for at least 5 yards)
Stuff Rate - 93rd(percentage of carries that the DL itself gets a TFL on)
Adjusted Sack Rate - 38th(opponent-adjusted sack rate)
Standard Down Sack Rate - 23rd
Passing Down Sack Rate - 78th

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

All of this -- basically to conclude -- our DL was NOT GOOD this year. Not good by any measure. Not even close to it. Given this analysis, it would stand to reason that it played a bigger role in our struggles against the pass than we previously realized -- and our LB play was even better than we previously realized. We did not play up to our talent level along the DL this year, and given these numbers, I really don't know how it's debatable...

Dawgheadcheese
01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
A National Championship caliber team would justify the expense of bringing in O as Assistant Head Coach / Recruiting Coordinator.

Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner.

jumbo
01-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Turner is a good DL coach, but O would be an upgrade in both coaching and recruiting. If you can find a way to make this happen, you do it. Like someone said earlier, championship caliber teams make this happen.

maroonmania
01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Yeah. I think that was the strategy. But it just didn't work, especially with the secondary and with injuries. We went from 833 plays last year to 977 this year. That's a 2 1/4 game increase. Again this is just a theory, but I do believe that is what the 1a/1b stuff was to try to help prevent. We had a special offense and a great starting defense with solid back ups. We could win a lot of games with just solid defensive play and hopefully the defense would be more level in play throughout the year. But we still saw at the end of the year the 1a's brought in more to help in the stressful red zone area's. The 1b's, especially the secondary couldn't hold up. I think it was just a piece of the puzzle of the late collapse of the defense.

And it wasn't just us. UM, Bama, MO, us all had good defenses that at the end gave up a lot of points and had injuries. MO the last two years their defense have had over 1,000 plays and in the title game what has happened? Granted they are playing good teams but if you are not fundamentally sound against good teams (bad tackling) you will get beat bad. Has anyone seen a Bama team tackle as bad as they did against OSU and were dragging people out of the stands to play LB. Their defense played nearly 2 1/2 games more this year. UM at the end of this year, etc.

Like I said it's just a theory I've been looking at an why we tried the two unit deal. With better depth in the secondary it probably works but just like a pitcher, at some point you hit a wall and just become dead. You also have to build up to have enough stamina and make take a year or two to adjust the conditioning. Add the mental stress of a first time #1 ranking. Anyway it's just a theory and wish I could find more I depth study on the increased number of plays of offenses causing increased defensive plays and a correlation of injuries. Especially with the advent of the spread (which I like) but as a defense you have to cover side to side and make a lot more cuts against the spread. Compounding the issue for us is we also have to be built to handle the power games of Bama, LSU, Arkansas and even a multiple team like Auburn.

Even with all the plays I just don't buy the theory for the Bowl Game where you have had a month off. And our injuries (or loss of players) were primarily in the secondary, not on the DL. And GT really wasn't even a high tempo offense. Good heavens, if we had played Oregon (like would have happened in an 8 team playoff) they literally may have put up 70+ points on us.

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Even with all the plays I just don't buy the theory for the Bowl Game where you have had a month off. And our injuries (or loss of players) were primarily in the secondary, not on the DL. And GT really wasn't even a high tempo offense. Good heavens, if we had played Oregon (like would have happened in an 8 team playoff) they literally may have put up 70+ points on us.

Alabama had a month off. UM had a month off. Did they not look bad as well? I'm just not sure any of us had time to recoup even with the time off they were still practicing. Like I said I may be wrong but with the increase in up tempo of not just your opponent but also your own team, I just think it's worth looking at.

01-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Interview (interesting stuff starts around 5:00):

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=3543&c=16973&f=3814283

engie
01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Alabama had a month off. UM had a month off. Did they not look bad as well? I'm just not sure any of us had time to recoup even with the time off they were still practicing. Like I said I may be wrong but with the increase in up tempo of not just your opponent but also your own team, I just think it's worth looking at.

They weren't playing Georgia Tech...

Political Hack
01-06-2015, 11:58 AM
would be an incredible hire. even if is just Assistant Head Coach/Recruitinng Coordinator and we leave Turner as the day to day DL coach, it would be a HR.

The question becomes "who's taking the office job?". I'd have to say it would be between Turner, Sallach, & Hughes. As long as Hughes doesn't leave, I'll be fine with however they managed it.

jumbo
01-06-2015, 12:03 PM
"Dan Mullen called me and we had a great conversation" is the extent of the discussion

War Machine Dawg

+1

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
The question becomes "who's taking the office job?". I'd have to say it would be between Turner, Sallach, & Hughes. As long as Hughes doesn't leave, I'll be fine with however they managed it.
Mullen had Sallach all but moved into the office role before Brewster left, but now that doesn't seem like an option. Wouldn't it make sense to move the least valuable on the field coach to the office? Has Sallach all of sudden become an irreplaceable TE coach?

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
They weren't playing Georgia Tech...

No they were not but GA Tech wasn't a bad offense by any stretch. But tackling was an issue at the end of the season including the bowl game. That a lot of time has to do with fatigue. Look, how much had to do with fatigue, mental let down, lack of DC, etc. I don't know. Was it all just part of the problem? But with more teams going to hurry up I think it is going to continue to be an issue unless you find a way to limit the number of plays a player plays or adjust the S & C to compensate. Like I said it's just a theory and not just for our team either.

Political Hack
01-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Mullen had Sallach all but moved into the office role before Brewster left, but now that doesn't seem like an option. Wouldn't it make sense to move the least valuable on the field coach to the office? Has Sallach all of sudden become an irreplaceable TE coach?

he must be good with film, game planning, and working with the TEs. I have a feeling it's because Hev doesn't want to have to work with the TEs half the time though. It would drastically change the day to day practice schemes... half the time the TEs would be with the OL, the other half with the WRs. When they do circuits, it makes it difficult and forces Hev and Gonzo to spend less time with their core groups during those sessions.