PDA

View Full Version : Manny Diaz

Tough Dawg
01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Good hire. Proven coordinator in the SEC. And guess what....he proved it at MSU.

Now let's all STFU and let these guys do work. Bust their ass till first of Feb and get ready for one hell of a year in 2015.

I felt like I've been watching a soap opera on this board the past few days.

Coach007
01-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Good hire. Proven coordinator in the SEC. And guess what....he proved it at MSU.

Now let's all STFU and let these guys do work. Bust their ass till first of Feb and get ready for one hell of a year in 2015.

I felt like I've been watching a soap opera on this board the past few days.

I believe he had top defenses at tx except for the year he was let go. Also, his recruiting classes saw a lot of star power.

Covercorner2
01-05-2015, 02:37 PM
He had the #1 defense in the Big 12 (#11 nationally) his first year there before sh*t hit the fan.

FlabLoser
01-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Both MSU and Diaz know what they are getting in each other and both probably have better respect for each other. Diaz is a good DC.

Orgeron is a rock star recruiter that is unproven at DC, and would surely have left MSU after a short stint. An unemployed guy that clearly wasn't sure he wants to come here will be even less sure later when the first offer from a bigger fish comes along.

I like it. Leo Lewis should like it. Anybody who likes making plays on defense should like it.

But that's just me. If there's anything I have learned about the general elitedawg population, its that 1) you don't want a conservative defense, and 2) you don't want an aggressive defense with lower scoring defensive stats. I'm sure at least half of you will be unhappy with this (or any) DC hire.

Is Diaz coaching LBs too?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I just don't understand why there has only been talk of TWO options for this position. Why is the pool of candidates so small for us? Is it Mullen? Is it money? Is it something else we don't see? I'm pretty neutral on the Diaz hire, but I'm concerned at the lack of willing candidates when we have open positions on the staff.

Sacrifice
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
I think Mullen really likes Diaz. I think he sees him as somebody who's just as creative on defense as he is on offense...If I remember right, I don't think he was that upset with him for leaving because the pay difference was so dramatic. Nothing like he was when Collins left.

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Pretty sure it was more than two but how many for sure we will never know. Orgeron, Diaz, Durkin, Clark, Halley, anyone else I'm missing?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Pretty sure it was more than two but how many for sure we will never know. Orgeron, Diaz, Durkin, Clark, Halley, anyone else I'm missing?

We don't know out of all of those which are legit candidates or wishful guesses from message boards. It's just a bit disappointing for us to struggle with this hire in the season after we reach #1 and just missed playing in the playoff.

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM
We don't know out of all of those which are legit candidates or wishful guesses from message boards. It's just a bit disappointing for us to struggle with this hire in the season after we reach #1 and just missed playing in the playoff.

What struggle? And didn't A & M get turned down multiple times, Harbaugh has been turned down. Granted those names were mostly board speculation but at least three of them had a lot of smoke that they were interviewed. Now Durkin has always been strongly linked to Michigan but at least we talked to him.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2015, 03:47 PM
What struggle? And didn't A & M get turned down multiple times, Harbaugh has been turned down. Granted those names were mostly board speculation but at least three of them had a lot of smoke that they were interviewed. Now Durkin has always been strongly linked to Michigan but at least we talked to him.

Right, so aTm and Harbaugh is speculation, but Bill Clark and Haley weren't? We essentially got to chose between a recruiter that we would've made DC and a retread DC that wasn't an option for other open jobs. Why wasn't Diaz's name mentioned for other open DC spots?

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Right, so aTm and Harbaugh is speculation, but Bill Clark and Haley weren't? We essentially got to chose between a recruiter that we would've made DC and a retread DC that wasn't an option for other open jobs. Why wasn't Diaz's name mentioned for other open DC spots?

It's was not speculation that Foster and Muschamp turned down A & M. And the Stanford DC turned down Harbaugh yesterday. And Diaz had been rumored as a top choice for Washington State for a while now. Some rumors about him and LSU but that was probably a back up plan at best.

I seen it dawg
01-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Wait a minute....we hired Diaz? When did he become a candidate..