PDA

View Full Version : Didn't realize Shannon is now Co-DC at Florida with Collins....

CadaverDawg
01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
I thought Shannon was just LB coach, but they gave him the Co-DC title. I know that may not mean much to some...but it probably means more pay and part of the defensive scheme design. So Geoff left for less control of the defense.

I really wish we could hire Co-DC's and and get one X's and O's guy, and one elite Recruiter...but it looks like that ain't gonna happen.

Big4Dawg
01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Also found it interesting Collins isn't over a position.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
I thought Shannon was just LB coach, but they gave him the Co-DC title. I know that may not mean much to some...but it probably means more pay and part of the defensive scheme design. So Geoff left for less control of the defense.

I really wish we could hire Co-DC's and and get one X's and O's guy, and one elite Recruiter...but it looks like that ain't gonna happen.

Me too, CD. that's why with a one hire, I wanted O. If past history holds true, in recruiting with Manny, we will get very little if anything in recruiting. Some years he had 0 commits and I think he had one 4* at Texas.

Coach34
01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Collins made 550K for us- he'll make around $1MM at Florida

Shannon was making 400K at UPig as the LB coach- which is 100K more than any of our position coaches. At UPig.

We just dont pay shit

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Also found it interesting Collins isn't over a position.

I think I saw some play he will be over OLB. With Shannon as LB coach. Odd combo for a 4-3 defense. Looks like they couldn't decided on one or the other so let's just hire both kind of deal.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Shannon was making 400K at UPig as the LB coach- which is 100K more than any of our position coaches. At UPig.

We just dont pay shit

This is our most glaring weakness in our program. Until we change, I truly believe we have a ceiling on our success. It's just too difficult to get the correct coaching pieces, recruiting, players with experience, and schedule to all line up perfectly to get into the playoff for us right now in my opinion.

If you fix the salaries of the staff members, I believe part of that puzzle is fixed or at least better than it is now. By having a high salary for your staff members, you are able to command more proven coaches with better ties and more experience. Don't have to take as many chances in hiring someone. We HAVE to start paying assistant and coordinators better if we want to constantly compete at the top.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Me too, CD. that's why with a one hire, I wanted O. If past history holds true, in recruiting with Manny, we will get very little if anything in recruiting. Some years he had 0 commits and I think he had one 4* at Texas.

Looking back at his time at Texas. The 2011 class where he left MSU & went to Texas it doesn't list him as a primary for anybody. The 2012 class his 1st year he was the primary for 1 recruit a 3* DE Bryce Cottrell. In the 2013 class he was the primary for 3 guys. 5* Darius James, 4* LB Deoundrei Davis, & 3* ATH Naashon Hughes. I didn't bother to check on the guys he was the secondary recruiter for.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2015, 01:47 PM
This is our most glaring weakness in our program. Until we change, I truly believe we have a ceiling on our success. It's just too difficult to get the correct coaching pieces, recruiting, players with experience, and schedule to all line up perfectly to get into the playoff for us right now in my opinion.

If you fix the salaries of the staff members, I believe part of that puzzle is fixed or at least better than it is now. By having a high salary for your staff members, you are able to command more proven coaches with better ties and more experience. Don't have to take as many chances in hiring someone. We HAVE to start paying assistant and coordinators better if we want to constantly compete at the top.

+1

CadaverDawg
01-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Wow, and now Brett McMurphy saying Shannon's official title is Associate Head Coach/DC/LB. Looks like Collins didn't leave for a lateral move, he actually took a lesser job. That is glaring to me.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Makes me wonder if he knew all this when he accepted the position. Sound like he got hired 1st then they brought someone in basically over him.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Ok, McMurphy just cleared it up..

Collins is "Defensive Coordinator"

Shannon is "Associate Head Coach/Co-Coordinator/Linebackers coach"

Either way, looks like a "lateral move" is being generous

CadaverDawg
01-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Makes me wonder if he knew all this when he accepted the position. Sound like he got hired 1st then they brought someone in basically over him.

I agree. I wonder what he thinks about it now. He may not care since the money is better

NCDawg
01-05-2015, 01:57 PM

I totally agree. We should have a lot of money coming in from the SEC bowl games, Network, Bulldog Club, etc. If we want to compete for championships (in Mullen's words), we definitely have to start paying the assistant coaches more.

EAVdog
01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

I bet he didn't have the full picture before he agreed to that. I'm sure it's all titles and all but that's a crowded house. Bump a Co-Coordinator out in the future if you need to.

I guess we can get Collins back on the rebound in the future.

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 02:01 PM

Yeah or it is a way to get Shannon's salary up higher.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Here's the practical explanation:

@NWARobbie: Shannon's Arkansas contract: he wouldn't owe $50K buyout if left to be DC

Irondawg
01-05-2015, 02:05 PM
so just out of curiosity, what would the board have paid Collins to stay? Do you guys think he was worth $1M?

And seems weird Florida doesn't mind paying coaches but they seem to be stubborn about facility improvements.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2015, 02:11 PM
so just out of curiosity, what would the board have paid Collins to stay? Do you guys think he was worth $1M?

And seems weird Florida doesn't mind paying coaches but they seem to be stubborn about facility improvements.

I don't. I don't think any DC is worth 1 mil + unless they are a known elite D-coordinator that failed as a head coach or, like Chavis, has obviously performed at a level that would have made him a head coach, if he wanted to pursue that.

If you haven't been a head coach or had the opportunity to be a head coach, I think that says that you are still "unproven" according to the industry. I'll pay Muschamp, Chavis, Pelini, Smart, Narduzzi, etc... a million + every day of the week, but I wouldn't pay it to an up-and-comer.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing they will be 1A and 1B Defensive Coordinators. Geoff should be fine with being 1B, since there is no drop off in talent**

BrunswickDawg
01-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing they will be 1A and 1B Defensive Coordinators. Geoff should be fine with being 1B, since there is no drop off in talent**

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

DownwardDawg
01-05-2015, 02:28 PM

One of the greatest posts in the history of the interweb!!!!! +1,000

BLITZII
01-05-2015, 05:12 PM

We just dont pay shit

Coach...is FL really going to pay Geoff 1 mill to be co-defensive coordinator?