PDA

View Full Version : So if what people are saying is true...

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Mullen wanted O, but O wanted 7 figures, and Mullen said no. If that is the case....Screw Orgeron, and way to go Mullen. O is not worth 1 million+ as a DC, and I'm so glad we aren't paying him that. Especially when we know he would take a little less than a million to be a freaking DL coach at LSU most likely. If we hire Manny, that's what I'm assuming has happened.

It's one thing to be cheap....but that does not sound like what is happening with this deal. We're just not being dumb enough to pay a guy with no DC experience, 7 figures to be our DC. Bravo to Dan if this is all true.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Mullen wanted O, but O wanted 7 figures, and Mullen said no. If that is the case....Screw Orgeron, and way to go Mullen. O is not worth 1 million+ as a DC, and I'm so glad we aren't paying him that. Especially when we know he would take a little less than a million to be a freaking DL coach at LSU most likely. If we hire Manny, that's what I'm assuming has happened.

It's one thing to be cheap....but that does not sound like what is happening with this deal. We're just not being dumb enough to pay a guy with no DC experience, 7 figures to be our DC. Bravo to Dan if this is all true.

Agree 100%

bulldawg28
01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
How many threads are going to be opened saying the same thing?

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
How many threads are going to be opened saying the same thing?

Aww is clicking this thread too much for you? Sorry to put you out. But thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

By the way, how many threads you going to post "If Diaz was our DC this year we would have won the title" in? Follow your own advice and then others may follow it too.

Now, back to the discussion...

maroonmania
01-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Well, we can all debate whether O is worth a cool mil a year (if that was what he wanted) but I think we can all agree that if we paid him that it would have been to be the DC AND to have one of the best, if not the best, recruiters in the country on our staff. Those 2 things together could justify that pay. In recruiting we essentially are going to go back a step from Collins to Diaz (if he is the choice).

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Well, we can all debate whether O is worth a cool mil a year (if that was what he wanted) but I think we can all agree that if we paid him that it would have been to be the DC AND to have one of the best, if not the best, recruiters in the country on our staff. Those 2 things together could justify that pay. In recruiting we essentially are going to go back a step from Collins to Diaz (if he is the choice).

The problem is he is not worth $1 MIL as a DC. If you eliminate the recruiting aspect you are probably not even talking to him as a DC. We are not in the position to be paying that kind of money for a recruiter. We have money but if he flops as a DC the fans will turn so fast on Mullen for paying that kind of money for a bad defense, it was always a big risk with him. And he may have priced himself out of a DC opportunity. It has to make sense and be a fit for us. That is a huge part of the equation.

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 08:56 PM
If he were a 6.5 DC and a 9 recruiter it's worth it to me.

We gotta get players 1st and foremost.

I imagine ole miss u breathed a big sigh of relief hearing what we are doing. I bet the absolute last thing they wanted was is to hire Orgeron.

Harrydawg
01-04-2015, 09:10 PM
So, is the fact that UM would have hated us hiring O enough of a reason to do it?

I think for many of you, it is......

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 09:16 PM
No. To me, getting more 5 star recruits is about 79% of it because to think getting top flight players is the engine to everything else and Orgeron supposedly could do that.

Ole miss U hating it would
Have been an added bonus. Plus if u are doing something that your rival hates then probably you are doing something right.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
If he were a 6.5 DC and a 9 recruiter it's worth it to me.

We gotta get players 1st and foremost.

I imagine ole miss u breathed a big sigh of relief hearing what we are doing. I bet the absolute last thing they wanted was is to hire Orgeron.

He is a 0 DC at this point. Maybe a 1. No experience other than UM and that was not good. A great recruiter absolutely, but you don't bring him to this staff at that kind of salary with no real DC experience. Way to risky. I agree with someone else who said $500-750,000 is his salary range. Incentive base after that.

thunderclap
01-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Define "true."

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 10:49 PM
So, is the fact that UM would have hated us hiring O enough of a reason to do it?

I think for many of you, it is......
No. That's just a bonus. We either need an average DC that can bring in elite talent or someone that can scheme around 3 star talent.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 10:56 PM
No. That's just a bonus. We either need an average DC that can bring in elite talent or someone that can scheme around 3 star talent.

We have several better than 3 star talent in the 2 deep on defense.

DL - Jones 5* James 4* Thomas 4*
LB - B. Brown 4* R. Brown Green 4* (Jung a 4* on 247)
DB - Redmond 4* Peters 4* (McLaurin 4* on 247)

We have a lot of talent on defense. Some of it is just young.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Not to mention some of our guys are not rated correctly because they are from small town Mississippi

yjnkdawg
01-04-2015, 11:18 PM
O wants to be the DT Coach on the LSU staff and if Brick Haley can get the DC job, then O should get his wish. O has stated this on several occasions, that he wants to be on the LSU staff.

maroonmania
01-05-2015, 10:04 AM
O wants to be the DT Coach on the LSU staff and if Brick Haley can get the DC job, then O should get his wish. O has stated this on several occasions, that he wants to be on the LSU staff.

Understandable, might be the only school where the majority of coaches and players could actually understand him.

shannondawg
01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Now that makes is the most intelligent post of the day.

I saw somewhere that Melvin is a possible hire for tsun. They should know in what area he shines.

I am quite confident that Dan knows what is best fit for DC, and with that I am content to wait for an announcement and not worry the 17 about it.

Understandable, might be the only school where the majority of coaches and players could actually understand him.

The Croom Diaries
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
How is there really that much difference between 700K and 1 million? In a $62+ million budget that is about to get a truck load of SEC Network money, that is nothing. We already spend far less on football than we should.
(http://www.wsj.com/articles/no-1-mississippi-state-proof-that-money-isnt-everything-1413170216)

We were just #1 in the country. It's time to quit goofing around on stupid sports and commit to a winner. Hire a third grade teacher to coach tennis if you have to, just find the money to hire a good DC.

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
How is there really that much difference between 700K and 1 million? In a $62+ million budget that is about to get a truck load of SEC Network money, that is nothing. We already spend far less on football than we should.
(http://www.wsj.com/articles/no-1-mississippi-state-proof-that-money-isnt-everything-1413170216)

We were just #1 in the country. It's time to quit goofing around on stupid sports and commit to a winner. Hire a third grade teacher to coach tennis if you have to, just find the money to hire a good DC.

I think it's about the market of who is actually worth that kind of money not whether we have it or not. There are about 6-8 coordinators making $1 MIL+ per year. If you are talking someone of that caliber then ok, but don't overpay for someone just because you can. You have to be responsible and keep the whole staff happy as well.

The Croom Diaries
01-05-2015, 02:34 PM
I think it's about the market of who is actually worth that kind of money not whether we have it or not. There are about 6-8 coordinators making $1 MIL+ per year. If you are talking someone of that caliber then ok, but don't overpay for someone just because you can. You have to be responsible and keep the whole staff happy as well.

Auburn is irresponsible with money and they keep winning.

Really Clark?
01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Auburn is irresponsible with money and they keep winning.

Until Muschamp, who is considered an elite DC, they didn't pay over a $1MIL for a coordinator. They may be irresponsible but they still kept closer to market value.

The Croom Diaries
01-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Until Muschamp, who is considered an elite DC, they didn't pay over a $1MIL for a coordinator. They may be irresponsible but they still kept closer to market value.

They paid Malzahn $1.3 million in 2011 as their OC. In fact, they were the first college program to ever pay a coordinator $1 million when they did that. And they went $300K over that.

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 03:09 PM
They paid Malzahn $1.3 million in 2011 as their OC. In fact, they were the first college program to ever pay a coordinator $1 million when they did that. And they went $300K over that.

Was he over paid? I guess you could make the case because he was making $500,000 at Tulsa. But looking back wouldn't you say that the 2010 was worth paying him $1.3 MIL. He proved his worth I would think. Before 2011 he had been making $500,000 per year. Same as he made at Tulsa.

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 03:10 PM

Was he over paid? I guess you could make the case because he was making $500,000 at Tulsa. But looking back wouldn't you say that the 2010 was worth paying him $1.3 MIL. He proved his worth I would think. Before 2011 he had been making $500,000 per year. Same as he made at Tulsa.

ETA. Didn't Auburn go up so much to keep him because he was getting a ton of looks? I'm pretty sure that's right but may be mis-remembering.

quickstrike2
01-06-2015, 03:40 PM
In a few articles that I read after O left USC, it sounded like he was pretty much looking for around a million a year. I really never considered O a serious contender for our job, because I knew that we wouldn't do that. Not surprised at all that it went down like that.

maroonmania
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM

ETA. Didn't Auburn go up so much to keep him because he was getting a ton of looks? I'm pretty sure that's right but may be mis-remembering.

Not sure what he was making before the 1.3 mil but Auburn did bump him up to that to keep him when he had the option to become the head coach at Vandy which he turned down.

Really Clark?
01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Not sure what he was making before the 1.3 mil but Auburn did bump him up to that to keep him when he had the option to become the head coach at Vandy which he turned down.

That's right! Then they got Franklin. Knew it was someone after him hard.

maroonmania
01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Anyone know the ins and outs of why Mullen basically showed no interest in Bill Clark? Seemed to be a good candidate with a lot of recruiting ties in AL that would have been beneficial but Mullen didn't seem to be interested in him at all.