PDA

View Full Version : My take on the DC search

Noxdog
01-04-2015, 06:17 PM
As limited as it is, i.e. no real sources. From reading everything I think this is more fluid than most think. I don't think MD is a done deal, may be but really don't. First off you have reports that Miles has or will interview Stoops, Shoop, and Clancy. Of the 3 you have to figure EO is a slam dunk with CP but I'm not sure that if Stoops or Shoop took the job that they would be entrhralled (sp) with EO looking over their shoulder. Then you have reports of UM reaching out to Stanford's DC and DJ D may not be a slam dunk for their DC. Then you have some holding on that there will be multiple interviews with numerous candidates this week, possibly as early as Monday evening.

Who is to say that we are not putting O in a box by leaking the MD rumor? I.e, driving his price down. We also don't know that there might be a "wild card" candidate out there. I still believe that there is someone that Mullen has in mind should it all blow to hell. I know T Summers went to CSU but I can't believe that he wouldn't jump at the chance to be DC in the SEC.

If it's MD I'm fine with it but I'm not ready to say the search is over. To many moving parts imo.

Won't be the first nor the last time I'm wrong if it is Manny. And to stress again this is Not a post against him. I'm good withit but like others why can't it be MD/EO or MD/DJ D. Heck EO and DJ D.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Thing is O can't go to LSU unless Brick Hailey goes to A&M with Chavis which he hasn't done yet. Nothing is a done deal on the DC hire. It may end up being Diaz but it's about as much a done deal as Orgeron was last week.

Fred Garvin
01-04-2015, 06:23 PM
As limited as it is, i.e. no real sources. From reading everything I think this is more fluid than most think. I don't think MD is a done deal, may be but really don't. First off you have reports that Miles has or will interview Stoops, Shoop, and Clancy. Of the 3 you have to figure EO is a slam dunk with CP but I'm not sure that if Stoops or Shoop took the job that they would be entrhralled (sp) with EO looking over their shoulder. Then you have reports of UM reaching out to Stanford's DC and DJ D may not be a slam dunk for their DC. Then you have some holding on that there will be multiple interviews with numerous candidates this week, possibly as early as Monday evening.

Who is to say that we are not putting O in a box by leaking the MD rumor? I.e, driving his price down. We also don't know that there might be a "wild card" candidate out there. I still believe that there is someone that Mullen has in mind should it all blow to hell. I know T Summers went to CSU but I can't believe that he wouldn't jump at the chance to be DC in the SEC.

If it's MD I'm fine with it but I'm not ready to say the search is over. To many moving parts imo.

Won't be the first nor the last time I'm wrong if it is Manny. And to stress again this is Not a post against him. I'm good withit but like others why can't it be MD/EO or MD/DJ D. Heck EO and DJ D.

Not a bad theory. If you don't have competition, you aren't negotiating.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Good post. I am not convinced it's a done deal either. And Dan may very well tell Stricklin that O is being offered as much for DL coach as he is for DC at MSU, to try and get Scott to pony up for both he and Manny. Manny and DL Coach Wilson worked well together as Co-DC's, so maybe there's still hope for both.

Getting a guy like O as a Co-DC would be a monster hire if combined with a Diaz, Durkin, etc.. The question is, are we willing to spend what it takes to continue climbing the ladder, or are we content with someone like Diaz that will be solid, but won't set the world on fire?

Scott has a chance to offset some of his Rick Ray screw up by telling Mullen he has a blank check, and to go get the guys we need. My opinion.

Noxdog
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Thing is O can't go to LSU unless Brick Hailey goes to A&M with Chavis which he hasn't done yet. Nothing is a done deal on the DC hire. It may end up being Diaz but it's about as much a done deal as Orgeron was last week.

I meant to include that in my post.

Really think it's just getting started. Feels like a lotta trial balloons in the air.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Good post. I am not convinced it's a done deal either. And Dan may very well tell Stricklin that O is being offered as much for DL coach as he is for DC at MSU, to try and get Scott to pony up for both he and Manny. Manny and DL Coach Wilson worked well together as Co-DC's, so maybe there's still hope for both.

Getting a guy like O as a Co-DC would be a monster hire if combined with Diaz, Durkin, etc.. The question is, are we willing to spend what it takes to continue climbing the ladder, or are we content with someone like Diaz that will be solid, but won't set the world on fire?

Scott has a chance to offset some of his Rick Ray screw up by telling Mullen he has a blank check, and to go get the guys we need. My opinion.

The problem with this theory is what I've been saying all along is that Dan is fine with the rest of the staff. He only wants to hire a DC not multiple coaches on the defensive side. I said that when all the Turner to Fla talk was going around.

Mjoelner34
01-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm good withit but like others why can't it be MD/EO or MD/DJ D. Heck EO and DJ D.

Or why not CP/EO? CP knows how to stop the spread so well that several NFL teams have consulted with him to slow down the Eagles and we play 3 spread teams every year. aTm, Auburn and Ole Miss.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Yea we could be hearing the results of candidates/agents "claiming" they are in talks with _____ in hopes that other jobs will hurry up and pull the trigger for more money. We think it's the end, but this may be the beginning of the interview process.

Noxdog
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Honestly that was kinda a dream scenario. I get it that we woulld love that but I don't think the D staff is going anywhere. I read where Turner has coached LB's somewhere so hey, he could move.

Mjoelner34
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
The problem with this theory is what I've been saying all along is that Dan is fine with the rest of the staff. He only wants to hire a DC not multiple coaches on the defensive side. I said that when all the Turner to Fla talk was going around.

How easy is it going to be to hire a DC that isn't allowed to bring in any coaches he wants if Mullen is set on keeping everybody else on staff? Seems like you'd be tying his hands before he even steps foot into a team meeting.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 06:33 PM

I know he's fine with them...but if you have a chance at a recruiter like O do you pass up on him when you could move Sallach out and keep Turner, and hire Manny for LB'ers/Co-DC? May not be possible, but I wouldn't pass up on the best recruiter out there simply because we're "fine" with what we got. If that makes sense

MetEdDawg
01-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Honestly that was kinda a dream scenario. I get it that we woulld love that but I don't think the D staff is going anywhere. I read where Turner has coached LB's somewhere so hey, he could move.

This to me is a epic fail on our part if it happens. Turner hasn't coached LBs in 15 years. Compromising the LB position (which I believe we would be doing if Turner has to move there), just to get a guy like Orgeron is 100% not worth it in my opinion.

Only way we should get Orgeron is if he's the DC/DL coach. I don't want him coaching LBs and I don't want Turner coaching LBs. Just not a trade off I think is necessary or beneficial.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I know he's fine with them...but if you have a chance at a recruiter like O do you pass up on him when you could move Sallach out and keep Turner, and hire Manny for LB'ers/Co-DC? May not be possible, but I wouldn't pass up on the best recruiter out there simply because we're "fine" with what we got. If that makes sense

Another hole in this theory is O is not coming to MSU without full control over the D. No Co-DC stuff with someone maybe calling the plays. The only reason he's even considering the LSU job (which isn't even open by the way) is because it's just a perfect situation for his family.

Noxdog
01-04-2015, 06:38 PM
This to me is a epic fail on our part if it happens. Turner hasn't coached LBs in 15 years. Compromising the LB position (which I believe we would be doing if Turner has to move there), just to get a guy like Orgeron is 100% not worth it in my opinion.

Only way we should get Orgeron is if he's the DC/DL coach. I don't want him coaching LBs and I don't want Turner coaching LBs. Just not a trade off I think is necessary or beneficial.

I understand. Merely pointing out that He has coached other positions. I think he is a very good DL coach and recruiter. It's all guessing right now.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Another hole in this theory is O is not coming to MSU without full control over the D. No Co-DC stuff with someone maybe calling the plays. The only reason he's even considering the LSU job (which isn't even open by the way) is because it's just a perfect situation for his family.

Well then O is an idiot. If he thinks we should guarantee full control of the D when he is lobbying for a DL job at LSU, Mullen should laugh and walk out.

That would be like someone pushing for a high paying waiter job, and having a different restaurant offering you an Assistant Manager job, and the person saying, "if I'm not Manager I don't want it". Well if your other option is "waiter", you're an idiot. See what I mean?

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 06:40 PM
How easy is it going to be to hire a DC that isn't allowed to bring in any coaches he wants if Mullen is set on keeping everybody else on staff? Seems like you'd be tying his hands before he even steps foot into a team meeting.

That's why you have interviews and these things get discussed then. A lot of times it's no big deal and you don't see wholesale changes usually unless the head coaches seat is very hot, other times it is something they want but it's usually just bringing in one guy. Don't forget that coaches cross paths a lot and know each other.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 07:05 PM
O would not come to State for anything less than DC and a big paycheck

We need a DC/LB coach- Manny fits that

There is alot of smoke right now that it's Manny. Anything can happen in the next 36 hours- but all signs point to Manny right now

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 07:07 PM
O would not come to State for anything less than DC and a big paycheck

We need a DC/LB coach- Manny fits that

There is alot of smoke right now that it's Manny. Anything can happen in the next 36 hours- but all signs point to Manny right now

Again, if O will go to LSU to be a DL coach, but he won't come to MSU unless he "is DC with a big paycheck"....I say Eff Orgeron.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Again, if O will go to LSU to be a DL coach, but he won't come to MSU unless he "is DC with a big paycheck"....I say Eff Orgeron.

That is what we did

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 07:22 PM
That is what we did

If so, I'm totally cool with the decision. Being cheap is one thing....but standing your ground to someone being unreasonable, I can get behind.

I seen it dawg
01-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I meant to include that in my post.

Really think it's just getting started. Feels like a lotta trial balloons in the air.

Mullen/Strick waiting to see what the Elitedawgs decide...

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 07:42 PM

+1

State82
01-04-2015, 07:53 PM

This is probably the most logical post of any I have seen on this subject since Collins bolted for the sunshine state.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
This is probably the most logical post of any I have seen on this subject since Collins bolted for the sunshine state.

When Byrne was here- he would leak some things thru people to go on the boards to get a fans perspective on how it would fly.

spudd21
01-04-2015, 08:22 PM

Maybe we should make a poll.**

Dawgowar
01-04-2015, 08:41 PM
When Byrne was here- he would leak some things thru people to go on the boards to get a fans perspective on how it would fly.

Varoom Maroon