PDA

View Full Version : What I'm hearing about the DC situation makes alot of sense now...

Coach34
01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Word is we had a deal with O and all was well until LSU came into the picture. O played the middle for a few days...Mullen said screw that and moved on to Manny. Look for Manny to be the guy.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:26 PM
That's what I had been speculating just had no info to that fact. If that is truly what went down. It's very plausible.

archdog
01-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Come on O. LSU will not have an offense that can take the pressure off the d.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Mullen's ego kept us from getting Coach O? Color me shocked*

In all seriousness, I'm fine with Manny.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
I think Coach O does nothing for LSU. He is only good for recruiting not coaching and LSU does not need a recruiter. They are going to get the Louisiana kids they want with or with out him. I don't think Coach O is a plus for them. He would be for us because of his recruiting.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Mullen's ego kept us from getting Coach O? Color me shocked*

In all seriousness, I'm fine with Manny.

I'm will Mullen. If your guy is waffling or isnt 100% sure he wants to be there- move on to someone that does

ScottH
01-04-2015, 02:30 PM
"11th hour" shit get's MSU every time.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Come on O. LSU will not have an offense that can take the pressure off the d.

Sounds like it's Mullen, not O. If Dan thinks a Louisiana native should just ignore a potential offer from LSU bc MSU is interested...well, that's Dan for you. Sometimes the things I love about him are also the things that piss me off the most.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm fine with Mullen handling it this way. Also seems to line up with the insiders saying Mullen was wanting to see who wanted to be here more. Of course this is still all just speculation but if O did start trying play off both sides then this can happen.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm will Mullen. If your guy is waffling or isnt 100% sure he wants to be there- move on to someone that does

I'm fine with that...but he wasn't waffling between us and Louisiana Lafayette...he was waffling between us and a traditional power. Try making a sales pitch, not just throw your hands up and say we'll go with plan B.

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 02:33 PM
I think Coach O does nothing for LSU. He is only good for recruiting not coaching and LSU does not need a recruiter. They are going to get the Louisiana kids they want with or with out him. I don't think Coach O is a plus for them. He would be for us because of his recruiting.
Actually, they have lost a few top guys to Alabama and Texas A&M recently. I think that is part of why they have gone from 10-11 wins to 8. And honestly I wouldn't want to play for Miles either personally.

defiantdog
Word is we had a deal with O and all was well until LSU came into the picture. O played the middle for a few days...Mullen said screw that and moved on to Manny. Look for Manny to be the guy.

Coach O may be jobless again if he was playing that game

CadaverDawg
I'm fine with Mullen handling it this way. Also seems to line up with the insiders saying Mullen was wanting to see who wanted to be here more. Of course this is still all just speculation but if O did start trying play off both sides then this can happen.

Well of course Manny wants to be here more...his choices are La Tech or MSU. Orgeron has better choices. Does that mean because CadaverDawg wants the job more than Manny, I should get it? Why not fight for the guy you want? Maybe we did though

basedog
01-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Competition guys. It was sad Mullen wanted someone who wants to be at Msu. What 34 says is correct, O did this to himself, when he wavered Mullen did the right thing cause O wasn't completely sold on Msu. I wanted O but Manny wanted this job more than O and I'm for that!

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Sounds like it's Mullen, not O. If Dan thinks a Louisiana native should just ignore a potential offer from LSU bc MSU is interested...well, that's Dan for you. Sometimes the things I love about him are also the things that piss me off the most.

Really? 34's info seemed totally opposite to me. Seemed like it was more O. We had already agreed, LSU happens and O backs out or wants to revisit. Most everybody wanted this done sooner but then you have the guy possibly throwing a monkey wrench into the deal.

DudyDawg
01-04-2015, 02:35 PM
What were mannys defenses ranked while here? If it's him, the talent will better. Will he have to be that much better than he was when he was here or will he automatically be an improvement over Collins?

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm fine with that...but he wasn't waffling between us and Louisiana Lafayette...he was waffling between us and a traditional power. Try making a sales pitch, not just throw your hands up and say we'll go with plan B.
We've got to protect ourselves. If we wait on LSU Manny might end up at Washington State.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Well I agree with that. Again we don't know if that did not happen and we were still getting the run around.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Yea but at LSU he's not a DC candidate it's for DL Coach. If that's a decision you have to agonize over I don't mind moving on IF that's the case.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Well, many here have said we wanted someone that wants to be at MSU awhile and not just 1 and done. O wavering over a DL job at LSU shows he wasnt interested in being here for the long haul. I think Mullen handled it the way he should have.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Yea but at LSU he's not a DC candidate it's for DL Coach. If that's a decision you have to agonize over I don't mind moving on IF that's the case.

True

Big4Dawg
01-04-2015, 02:40 PM

You mean the guy that already left and told us he didn't want to be here? You can't say that him leaving the first time is a "business decision" but when O does the same thing, but say its a sign of no-loyalty and that he didn't buy 100% into what we are trying to sell.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
You mean the guy that already left and told us he didn't want to be here? You can't say that him leaving the first time is a "business decision" but when O does the same thing, but say its a sign of no-loyalty and that he didn't buy 100% into what we are trying to sell.

Good point

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Let's not forget, the LSU deal may be several more days before its done. You want to wait on them for the chance to get O? People are ready for us to name a guy now. At some point it sounds like a second pitch was made but O had to have a time limit. We wait and still don't get him, man Dan would have got hammered for that as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 02:43 PM
No matter what happens somebody won't like it & somebody will be upset.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Let's not forget, the LSU deal may be several more days before its done. You want to wait on them for the chance to get O? People are ready for us to name a guy now. At some point it sounds like a second pitch was made but O had to have a time limit. We wait and still don't get him, man Dan would have got hammered for that as well.

Yea, as long as Mullen made a second attempt or put a time limit, I'm cool with it. We'll never know, but it wouldn't totally shock me if as soon as Mullen heard O was speaking with LSU, Dan said "F that" and called Manny to offer the job.

Coach34
01-04-2015, 02:44 PM

Manny got a 110% raise to leave State

O was waffling over a lesser job and less money

Thats a big difference to me

basedog
01-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Damn, if I was making $240 million a year and someone says "come work for me I will pay you $750 million" and you can move from Starkville to Austin you wouldn't go because your loyal? Bullcrap!

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
No matter what happens somebody won't like it & somebody will be upset.

Yep. I'm totally fine with Manny or O....I just hope Dan's ego didn't keep us from getting the guy he thought was the better fit. But either way, we will be fine defensively.

Really Clark?

O has never been here and is trying for a DC but is playing the middle for a DL job at a bigger program. Different scenarios altogether.

Big4Dawg
Well, many here have said we wanted someone that wants to be at MSU awhile and not just 1 and done. O wavering over a DL job at LSU shows he wasnt interested in being here for the long haul. I think Mullen handled it the way he should have.

I can't believe this thread. You realize that Diaz ALREADY was 1 and done and already PROVED he didn't want to be at MSU? Yes, he doubled his salary in the process, I get that.

But when O does it, we say "he wasn't interested in being here for the long haul". If what everyone is saying is true about $$$, sounds like he would have made more money at LSU as DL coach than here as DC. But yet, we fault O for giving a couple days to think about it?

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Damn, if I was making $240 million a year and someone says "come work for me I will pay you $750 million" and you can move from Starkville to Austin you wouldn't go because your loyal? Bullcrap!

Ha, you mean 240k to 750k? I hope we aren't over paying that much for a DC! Haha

Big4Dawg
01-04-2015, 02:48 PM

If the money part is true, and I find that hard to believe, than it probably has to do with his family already being in LA. Hard to fault him for that.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Yea, as long as Mullen made a second attempt or put a time limit, I'm cool with it. We'll never know, but it wouldn't totally shock me if as soon as Mullen heard O was speaking with LSU, Dan said "F that" and called Manny to offer the job.

I really doubt that. He has didn't do that with Collins last year and got him a good raise. As always let his coaches leave only when they have secured another job. He has always shown to be very fair to other coaches in the hiring and firing aspect.

Dawg496
01-04-2015, 02:55 PM
LSU would likely pay O just as much to coach DL as we would to be our DC.

Mullen has to learn to not let his ego get in the way of making business decisions. If O was #1 that's who he should hire. Just because O was weighing his options doesn't mean we should tell him to **** off. No matter how much Stricklin and Mullen preach it, we are not lateral to Florida or LSU. Not right now.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Well, one thing is for sure....The life expectancy of a MSU DC is not very long if you don't perform, and not only that, but the fan base will not be fully unified and ecstatic about Diaz right off the bat. Therefore, he will have plenty of pressure on him to perform at a high level immediately. Not to mention he will have a roster loaded with talent. I like that combination.

I think Manny will do a great job, and I am in full support of him if he is named DC. Hopefully everyone will be.

Dawg61
01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
O waffling forces Mullen to look at Diaz closer and when you look at Diaz closer he appears to be the better hire. Happened to most of us too. At first I wanted O but then after looking at Diaz's rankings at LTech and that he knows how we work already and that the best part of O is his name and recruiting I think it quickly leans in Diaz favor as the better hire. Still want both though.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Good points Cadaver

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 03:00 PM
O waffling forces Mullen to look at Diaz closer and when you look at Diaz closer he appears to be the better hire. Happened to most of us too. At first I wanted O but then after looking at Diaz's rankings at LTech and that he knows how we work already and that the best part of O is his name and recruiting I think it quickly leans in Diaz favor as the better hire. Still want both though.

I definitely warmed up to the Diaz hire when I looked at what happened after Texas. He seems to do well with players that are willing to put in the work.

Dawg61
01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I definitely warmed up to the Diaz hire when I looked at what happened after Texas. He seems to do well with players that are willing to put in the work.

Being ranked #1 in interceptions, #2 in TFL, #5 in turnover margin and #16 in sacks cured my doubts.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Being ranked #1 in interceptions, #2 in TFL, #5 in turnover margin and #16 in sacks cured my doubts.

Yea, some would say more turnovers means more aggression, which leads to more big plays. Well....this year we had no aggression and STILL gave up a bunch of big plays. So I'll take the extra aggression over the big plays OM and others had against us, and the slow death we died against the Georgia Tech FB dive play. Bring on Manny's Mayhem.

basedog
01-04-2015, 03:09 PM

I agree 100%

I seen it dawg
01-04-2015, 03:09 PM
We've all been leaning to Manny coming back hat in hand....maybe Mullen had to swallow a little and "go after" Manny...I hope for Mannys sake he told Mullen to up the ante and he will think about coming back. Manny didn't have to "have" our job.

AlSwearengen
01-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Orgeron is a piece of shit. If we hire him, he is still a piece of shit. He has displayed many times that he can't be trusted and that is why he doesn't really excite me.

What he and Kiffin did at/to Tennessee was enough to keep me from trusting him. And wasn't he involved in Wilson running around recruiting for Tennessee on our dime? He would probably put it on Kiffin, but Wilson was orgeron's boy.

We think he would really help our recruiting, but he could also really **** it up big time by taking another job and taking recruits with him. **** orgeron.

NCDawg
01-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Yea, some would say more turnovers means more aggression, which leads to more big plays. Well....this year we had no aggression and STILL gave up a bunch of big plays. So I'll take the extra aggression over the big plays OM and others had against us, and the slow death we died against the Georgia Tech FB dive play. Bring on Manny's Mayhem.

I agree, but still wish we could get Orgeron for the DL and recruiting purposes. I guess we can't afford both of them, though.

Bucky Dog
01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Didn't O sign a contract with LSU before only to back out and go to Tennessee, or visa versa back in the day?

Sacrifice
01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
If coach O was openly waffling between us and LSU, then I don't want him anyway because he's to F-In stupid for the job in the first place...You never let a potential employer know your waiting on something better. You'll get your ass kicked to the curb everytime.

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Still upset if Shannom was
Never considered

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I agree, but still wish we could get Orgeron for the DL and recruiting purposes. I guess we can't afford both of them, though.

I agree. And if our AD is serious about competing for a Title, we should be able to afford both.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Still upset if Shannom was
Never considered

Chew, I'm not sure if this is true, but I'll share what I heard about Shannon...

Supposedly he interviewed with Dan, and things went well....but Mullen just doesn't think he's the right fit. If that's true, I can live with that.

Something tells me that he had too strong of a personality for Mullen. Shannon seems like a guy that thinks he is probably on the same level as Dan, so I can see why that may not work well. Truth is, Orgeron may be a little bit like that too....which could all play into the decision for Manny.

defiantdog
01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
We may be waiting till the end of the week till we hear about the new DC. How things have played out so far, I doubt Manny is going to be the only guy Mullen interviews. Sounds like Mullen ripped up any deal with Coach O. I expect (and hope) a few more names pop up soon. I really don't want Manny "One and Done" Diaz back just so we can look for another DC next year.

BoomBoom
01-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Chew, I'm not sure if this is true, but I'll share what I heard about Shannon...

Supposedly he interviewed with Dan, and things went well....but Mullen just doesn't think he's the right fit. If that's true, I can live with that.

Something tells me that he had too strong of a personality for Mullen. Shannon seems like a guy that thinks he is probably on the same level as Dan, so I can see why that may not work well. Truth is, Orgeron may be a little bit like that too....which could all play into the decision for Manny.

it takes a certain kind of person to regularly put up with temper tantrums coming from a grown @ss man.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Clarion Ledger reporting that Mullen will interview Diaz this week.

Are we just now starting to interview candidates? Or is the CL just behind as always?

MetEdDawg
01-04-2015, 03:35 PM

I imagine it's difficult for a head coach to have someone on staff that was previously a head coach at a D1 program. Seems like Mullen was willing to put that aside for Orgeron which to me might be a sign of some willingness to change on Mullen's part. If Mullen is as arrogant as many think, you have to believe that working with a former HC would be very difficult for a guy like Mullen so that's something to be considered.

And I agree Cadaver, if Mullen says a guy doesn't fit, you won't see me questioning him. For the most part he's moved the right pieces in building this program. Might have taken longer in some situations to get in what he wanted, but look at all the dead weight that has left the program because of Mullen. Torbush, Koenning, Melvin, Wilson the DC. And the additions to the program during his tenure that I think have been very good. Diaz 1.0, Gonzales, Brewster, Collins, Wilson as a DL coach, and Turner. They haven't been earth shattering moves but he has gradually figured out who fits what he wants and has upgraded at most every coaching position over time. Point is, I trust his judgment as to what's best for the program.

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks Cadaver. If that's it, then I'm ok with it. He should pick who he thinks is going to work. It's just my preference. It's his job to keep or lose.

Op4isabitch
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't want to hear any waffling from you geezers when the new DC is announced and its NOT Manny!

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 03:44 PM
If it's R Shannon, I'll celebrate.

Dawgowar
01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I don't want to hear any waffling from you geezers when the new DC is announced and its NOT Manny!

If I choose to screw a waffle and it or me moans in absolute triumph, my geezer ass won't give a damn if you like it or not. I assume that is what you mean by 'waffling' right?

HoopsDawg
01-04-2015, 03:58 PM
If it's R Shannon, I'll celebrate.

Thank goodness it's not Randy Shannon.

deltadawg99
01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm fine with Diaz and I think that is a good coach and will improve as a recruiter overtime. Hopefully this time around he will appreciate the opportunity that he has at State and will just jump ship like he did last time. He came into a dumpster fire of a situation at Texas but is doing a great job at La Tech.

I just hope that we looked around more than at Coach O and Diaz.

maroonmania
01-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Exactly, when you've got a former HC that interested in being a position coach for someone else over being a coordinator that's definitely a red flag. My only concern with Manny is that while you do as well or better than Collins as a DC he is definitely a step back from Collins as a recruiter IMO.

campshelbydog
01-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Clarion Ledger reporting that Mullen will interview Diaz this week.

Are we just now starting to interview candidates? Or is the CL just behind as always?

They are either behind or it's the second interview.

maroonmania
01-04-2015, 05:43 PM
They are either behind or it's the second interview.

An interview for Diaz is sort of window dressing anyway. Mullen knows Diaz and Diaz knows Mullen. Either Dan wants Manny over the other candidates he is considering or he doesn't. If O and Mullen have a good relationship I'm still surprised he would be interested in a DL position at LSU over a DC position with us unless he just wants to be close to his family (kid at LSU I believe). The one upside is that Manny does at least provide us a LB coach along with being a coordinator.