PDA

View Full Version : Not that I think this will happen, but what would you guys think of....

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Don Pellum of Oregon?

One of my friends just texted me that a guy on the Genespage pay site is swearing that not only is Pellum friends with the Mullen's, but that he wants to be at MSU and in the SEC. I have zero clue if any of that is true, but figured it would be a good discussion point for today.

What are your thoughts on Pellum? Where would that hire stand in comparison to Diaz or Orgeron in your mind?

He is listed as DC, Recruiting Coordinator, and LB coach.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=22689

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM
I would be fine with it. Oregon is very aggressive on defense, but I think they run a 3-4, so that would be a question I would have for him is if he would change our scheme.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm like you, I would be pretty shocked if he would leave his alma mater after 31 years there as a player and coach. But as far has his stats go, what I've looked up so far, it's pretty impressive. Especially considering how plays his defenses have to go against each year.

Political Hack
01-04-2015, 01:00 PM
I'd take a 3-4 with our personnel next year.

engie
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Oregon is such a strange situation. No one manages to keep staffs intact like they have for years and years and years...

MetEdDawg
01-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I'd take a 3-4 with our personnel next year.

I agree that we should be able to sprinkle some in. We've got Nick James that can hold down the NT and we've got the Browns, Green, Zac Jack, Jung, Harris depending on how healthy he is, then Washington and McNair coming in if we want to get their feet wet early.

Plus we've got fast and physical DL that can play a 3-4 DE like Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, Jefferson and some of our RS freshmen. I don't think it could be our predominant defense because I'm not convinced we've got the LB depth this year, but I do think we could do it. And I don't count the "psycho" defense of rush 3 drop 8 as a 3-4 defense. I'm talking real 3-4 with multiple blitzers and a lot of moving around to cause confusion. I think we've got the personnel to have an effective 3-4 for short stretches in games.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Oregon is such a strange situation. No one manages to keep staffs intact like they have for years and years and years...

It really is. From head coaches on down. They have really built something solid and stable at that program.

preachermatt83
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Great recruiter, but he ain't leaving Oregon. I would be fine with it but just don't see it happening. I am hearing that Manny is already a done deal. Will be announced tmr.

Political Hack
01-04-2015, 01:38 PM
I agree that we should be able to sprinkle some in. We've got Nick James that can hold down the NT and we've got the Browns, Green, Zac Jack, Jung, Harris depending on how healthy he is, then Washington and McNair coming in if we want to get their feet wet early.

Plus we've got fast and physical DL that can play a 3-4 DE like Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, Jefferson and some of our RS freshmen. I don't think it could be our predominant defense because I'm not convinced we've got the LB depth this year, but I do think we could do it. And I don't count the "psycho" defense of rush 3 drop 8 as a 3-4 defense. I'm talking real 3-4 with multiple blitzers and a lot of moving around to cause confusion. I think we've got the personnel to have an effective 3-4 for short stretches in games.

I think our depth at LB is much better than DT, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing it.

ScottH
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Kinda looks suspicious. The Pellum post was the poster's only post on Gene's Page.

MetEdDawg
01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I think our depth at LB is much better than DT, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I would agree about our depth, but honestly right now there are only 3.5 LBs I would feel comfortable with right now on the field. The Browns are 2, .5 for Zac Jack, .5 for Green, and .5 for everyone else. There's just so much unknown with this group because of the Harris injury, Green never having played, Zac Jack getting beat constantly, and Jung not on campus yet.

On the DL, I think Nick James, Chris Jones, Nelson Adams, AJ Jefferson, and Ryan Brown could all handle DL duties in a 3-4 setup even though Brown might be a tad too small. But you are right that at DT we will be thin on who could actually play a 3-4 DT. James and Jones are probably the only ones I would trust.

There's just so much unknown in this front 7 once you get past the guys who start. Ryan Brown, CJ, Nick James, AJ. Benny, Richie, Zac Jack. Lot of experience there. After that there's a big drop off in actual playing time and it's big question marks as to who we can count on and who will step up.

At DL, Coleman, Hoyett, Calvin, Thomas, Grant Harris combined have zero snaps played. Hopefully adding Fletcher, Joseph, Kendall Jones, and Mullins. At LB, Green, Jung, Antoine, hopefully Harris back, and hopefully Washington and McNair in this class. Only PT there is Antoine and Harris. There's just a lot unproven here and that concerns me a bit.

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't know if they could slim down a little, but in a 3-4 would not AJ or Ryan be a possibility as a strong side OLB? Pass rush type.

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Kinda looks suspicious. The Pellum post was the poster's only post on Gene's Page.

It might be a troll so that Ole Miss fans can get some payback for us making of them over Tony Dungy.