PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Monday is the day

basedog
01-03-2015, 08:44 PM
For Manny to be announced! At the beginning I was not for this but now after further review I have no problem. Not a home run hire imo but not a bad hire either, better than what we have.

I do wonder what happened with O, it sure looked like he was going to be the man.

Oh, Miles in Dallas supposedly talking with Mike Stoops about the DC job, gotta wonder about his brother at OU.

DawgPoundRock
01-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Not a homerun hire, more like a double

fishwater99
01-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Not a homerun hire, more like a double

I was glad to see Collins leave.

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 12:15 AM
If you read what Paul Jones is saying, and it makes a lot of sense, they are going to have an end of the year meeting tomorrow with all of the coaches. I doubt that you will see a DC hired on Monday because of that. I'm thinking that it will be Tuesday, Weds., or at the very latest Thursday.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2015, 12:29 AM
The end of the year meetings are Monday.

DawgPoundRock
01-04-2015, 01:03 AM
I was glad to see Collins leave.

I was too, just saying we could have done better hope diaz this time around isnt like polk 2.0

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2015, 01:50 AM
I was too, just saying we could have done better hope diaz this time around isnt like polk 2.0

Totally different. Manny is resurrecting his career and understands what he is getting into this time. I expect him to be better and stay longer than the first time around. He's been humbled, and has to feel like he'd be getting lucky to get another shot. I don't expect him to screw it up.

bulldawg28
01-04-2015, 05:08 AM
You guys are all over the place. Your sources are. ....

sbcmortgageman
01-04-2015, 07:58 AM
If you read what Paul Jones is saying, and it makes a lot of sense, they are going to have an end of the year meeting tomorrow with all of the coaches. I doubt that you will see a DC hired on Monday because of that. I'm thinking that it will be Tuesday, Weds., or at the very latest Thursday.

Paul still saying he's not thinking Mullen would rehire Manny. Who's knows at this point I guess.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2015, 09:37 AM
For Manny to be announced! At the beginning I was not for this but now after further review I have no problem. Not a home run hire imo but not a bad hire either, better than what we have.

I do wonder what happened with O, it sure looked like he was going to be the man.

Oh, Miles in Dallas supposedly talking with Mike Stoops about the DC job, gotta wonder about his brother at OU.

Do you have independent sources or are you just relaying what was on Sixpack?

These rumors take on a life of their own because people just repeat rumors from other sights as if it were new information from an independent source. Then the rumor spreads life wildfire, and every says that the rumor is getting hot, but it's just because someone copied it from another site

Political Hack
01-04-2015, 09:50 AM
if I were trying to save money and hire coach O, I'd leak that Manny is likely the guy to drive Coach O's price point down. I just have to wonder if CDM would bring Manny back after he split so quickly before. Plus, it was we'll known his wife wants to live in or near a big city.

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Maybe Vegas didn't seem that bad to her after a stint in Ruston.

Harrydawg
01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
And now there is some thought that Manny may be headed to Washington State?

Really Clark?
01-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Diaz has been discussed a while for WSU. That's not new.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Diaz has been discussed a while for WSU. That's not new.

http://neilorme.com/pics/PetLover/PetLover26.gif

defiantdog
01-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Diaz would be a bad hire. One and done then doin this shit again next year.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
If Manny goes to WSU, we better hope it's O....otherwise we may be Rick Ray'ing this one up.

The good news is, even if it's an up and comer nobody knows much about, he will probably do a good job. I just worry about a no name being able to hang on to one of our best recruiting classes ever. I have to think that it is either Manny or O.

basedog
01-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Do you have independent sources or are you just relaying what was on Sixpack?

These rumors take on a life of their own because people just repeat rumors from other sights as if it were new information from an independent source. Then the rumor spreads life wildfire, and every says that the rumor is getting hot, but it's just because someone copied it from another site

No. competition is a good thing, waiting to see who wants what more is a good thing and I was told this is happening. As for as rumors go, let's just say it ain't as bad as folks believing Mullen telling the DC what he can or can't do.

KB21
01-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I find it interesting that so many are against Manny. There aren't many coaches who have an article dedicated to something they do over at brophy coaching. Manny does.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2011/01/manny-diaz-bulletproof-fire-zone.html

I'm curious. Where are the articles on Orgeron's defensive scheme? What exactly does Orgeron bring to the table other than his recruiting, which is something that isn't on the up and up anyway?

CadaverDawg
01-04-2015, 11:55 AM
I find it interesting that so many are against Manny. There aren't many coaches who have an article dedicated to something they do over at brophy coaching. Manny does.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2011/01/manny-diaz-bulletproof-fire-zone.html

I'm curious. Where are the articles on Orgeron's defensive scheme? What exactly does Orgeron bring to the table other than his recruiting, which is something that isn't on the up and up anyway?

Yea, Manny wouldn't be a bad hire. I've come to the conclusion that most of the people that don't want him, simply wanted a bigger name that would get the fan base all riled up. I think Diaz could possibly be a better choice than O, who knows, but he will never have the "home run" appeal that many of our fans would feel towards O. And truth is, the only reason some people think O is a "home run" is because of his recruiting prowess.

If Mullen wants the better X's and O's guy, the one he is most "sure" about, and the one he is comfortable with....he'll go with Manny. But if he feels like talent is the only thing that kept him from the playoffs this year, wants to start landing more talent, and feels like he will play a role in defensive scheme regardless so DC doesn't matter as much in terms of X's and O's, he'll hire O the Recruiter.

Either way, I think we will find out a lot about Mullen through this hire.

basedog
01-04-2015, 12:35 PM
What we do know about Mullen is he is a winner, regardless of the hire. It ain't like "Let's make a deal", I will take door number.....

Todd4State
01-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Yea, Manny wouldn't be a bad hire. I've come to the conclusion that most of the people that don't want him, simply wanted a bigger name that would get the fan base all riled up. I think Diaz could possibly be a better choice than O, who knows, but he will never have the "home run" appeal that many of our fans would feel towards O. And truth is, the only reason some people think O is a "home run" is because of his recruiting prowess.

If Mullen wants the better X's and O's guy, the one he is most "sure" about, and the one he is comfortable with....he'll go with Manny. But if he feels like talent is the only thing that kept him from the playoffs this year, wants to start landing more talent, and feels like he will play a role in defensive scheme regardless so DC doesn't matter as much in terms of X's and O's, he'll hire O the Recruiter.

My guess about Manny and peoples opinions of him is probably has something to do with how he left, the fact that Dan didn't like how he left and probably said something about it privately. I think that's why we are seeing stuff like Paul Jones saying "I don't think Dan would hire Manny back". I think that's why a some people are kind of insinuating that he "really wasn't that good" as well- they're just sticking up for MSU.

If we're all honest here, the fact of the matter is Manny did a good job while he was here and was debatably the best DC Dan has had while he has been here. All I know is Manny was very popular while he was here and no one ever said anything bad about him- and then all of a sudden several months later "he wasn't all that good".

I'll just say this on a couple of points about Manny leaving and his wife. It's hard to leave sometimes on good terms. I don't think they teach you how to do that in school. And even if you do leave and do it in a gentle, respectful, and professional way- sometimes your boss doesn't take it that way. Now, Manny may very well have been at fault with how he left and he may not. But if he left and did it the wrong way, that shouldn't mean that he can't ever come back again.

And as far as his wife- we now know that she is a life coach. She probably has to travel some with that type of job, and being near a major interstate is something that would probably be helpful for her as is not having to go through the Louisville speed trap constantly. That and the fact that when Manny got the job in Austin, she probably talked about how awesome it was to her girlfriends. And rightfully so- I'm not a Starkville basher, but it's not Austin TX. That doesn't mean that she "hated" Starkville.

Statefan
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM

I think you summed up the situation nicely but between Diaz and O, we need the guy that can slow down Fournette, A&M's air raid, Arkansas's running, Malzahn's tempo, Lane Kiffen, and whatever Freeze does with his QB situation

I'm a lot more confident with Diaz than O in that regard

blacklistedbully
01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
My guess about Manny and peoples opinions of him is probably has something to do with how he left, the fact that Dan didn't like how he left and probably said something about it privately. I think that's why we are seeing stuff like Paul Jones saying "I don't think Dan would hire Manny back". I think that's why a some people are kind of insinuating that he "really wasn't that good" as well- they're just sticking up for MSU.

If we're all honest here, the fact of the matter is Manny did a good job while he was here and was debatably the best DC Dan has had while he has been here. All I know is Manny was very popular while he was here and no one ever said anything bad about him- and then all of a sudden several months later "he wasn't all that good".

I'll just say this on a couple of points about Manny leaving and his wife. It's hard to leave sometimes on good terms. I don't think they teach you how to do that in school. And even if you do leave and do it in a gentle, respectful, and professional way- sometimes your boss doesn't take it that way. Now, Manny may very well have been at fault with how he left and he may not. But if he left and did it the wrong way, that shouldn't mean that he can't ever come back again.

And as far as his wife- we now know that she is a life coach. She probably has to travel some with that type of job, and being near a major interstate is something that would probably be helpful for her as is not having to go through the Louisville speed trap constantly. That and the fact that when Manny got the job in Austin, she probably talked about how awesome it was to her girlfriends. And rightfully so- I'm not a Starkville basher, but it's not Austin TX. That doesn't mean that she "hated" Starkville.

I don't recall many feeling like "Manny sucked" right after he left. I remember people being really unhappy because our defense had done well. I remember people being pissed at his wife for her desire to leave. My recollection is the "Manny wasn't that good" talk started due to how Texas' defense collapsed. Then folks started pointing to how much talent we had, and that perhaps his success at MSU was more due to the talent than Manny's ability.

cheewgumm
01-04-2015, 01:18 PM
I'll take a chance on "elite recruiter" any day.

We need players, period. Players win games.

gravedigger
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Yea, im not completely thrilled either, but i just think things will work out.

I really hope this tem improves going into next season. Signing day should not really affect next seasons results

We do need some aort of a shot of energy on defense and some linemen to step up on the offense.

MetEdDawg
01-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Yea, im not completely thrilled either, but i just think things will work out.

I really hope this tem improves going into next season. Signing day should not really affect next seasons results

We do need some aort of a shot of energy on defense and some linemen to step up on the offense.

I have warmed up to the idea of Diaz coming back if in fact that's what is happening. We have a playoff caliber offense. We showed we could put up points on just about anybody.

If Diaz can get us in the Top 15 in scoring defense and turnovers, we will be in business next year. We were 23rd this year at 21.7 points per game and tied for 41st with 23 turnovers. Top 20 in turnovers would have put us at 29 turnovers this year which averages out to around 1 more turnover every two games. We certainly could have used that. Top 15 in scoring defense would have put us around 20.6 points per game. I definitely think the turnovers is a feasible goal under Diaz because we had 28 turnovers in 2009-2010. With as much as we lose on defense Top 20 might be pushing it but I certainly think it's possible because there are some talented pieces still on the defensive side.

NCDawg
01-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I have warmed up to the idea of Diaz coming back if in fact that's what is happening. We have a playoff caliber offense. We showed we could put up points on just about anybody.

If Diaz can get us in the Top 15 in scoring defense and turnovers, we will be in business next year. We were 23rd this year at 21.7 points per game and tied for 41st with 23 turnovers. Top 20 in turnovers would have put us at 29 turnovers this year which averages out to around 1 more turnover every two games. We certainly could have used that. Top 15 in scoring defense would have put us around 20.6 points per game. I definitely think the turnovers is a feasible goal under Diaz because we had 28 turnovers in 2009-2010. With as much as we lose on defense Top 20 might be pushing it but I certainly think it's possible because there are some talented pieces still on the defensive side.

I've also warmed up to the idea of Diaz coming back if that does happen. But, in the words of Pres. Bush, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, um, um, well, you can't be fooled again."