PDA

View Full Version : the question of whether or not Dan has the power to hire whomever the 17 he wants

Bully13
01-03-2015, 08:13 PM
needs to be laid to rest. does he or doesn't he?

if he doesn't at this juncture, then heads need to roll. If he doesn't , we need an immediate coup d'??tat

PendingTransaction
01-03-2015, 09:11 PM
He does. The real question is would he hire a coach who wants complete control of the defense and it's staff?

MetEdDawg
01-03-2015, 09:27 PM
He does. The real question is would he hire a coach who wants complete control of the defense and it's staff?

This has been my question the whole time. I never thought Dan would give up complete control of the defense including letting a DC make staff decisions. That will never happen and I think that will always limit us in terms of the name potential we can get at DC.

Doesn't mean we can't get a good DC, but it most likely means we will never make a splash hire. Mullen will always find a system guy that fits into his mold and is ok not having 100% control of their side of the ball. We will most likely always have more DC turnover than we find comfortable under this scenario.

maroonmania
01-03-2015, 09:42 PM
This has been my question the whole time. I never thought Dan would give up complete control of the defense including letting a DC make staff decisions. That will never happen and I think that will always limit us in terms of the name potential we can get at DC.

Doesn't mean we can't get a good DC, but it most likely means we will never make a splash hire. Mullen will always find a system guy that fits into his mold and is ok not having 100% control of their side of the ball. We will most likely always have more DC turnover than we find comfortable under this scenario.

If Mullen keeps his thumb on the defense to this degree then its very understandable why young up and coming DCs like Collins and Diaz quickly start looking for other opportunities.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Met, you have a great appreciation for why we will make small name hires and have frequent turnover.

Really Clark?
01-03-2015, 10:15 PM
So because of this Diaz is possibly coming back and lobbying for the job? To come back and work for the guy that he left the first time because he didn't like the way he controlled the defense? Really? You have respected people close to the program telling us different. Quit trying to make some unfounded speculation as fact.