PDA

View Full Version : For those that want Coach O as the DC

BHildreth3
01-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to state that if he was hired, then i'm guessing he wouldn't be here for more than a year....he would be a hired gun. If it's Diaz, i think it's a great hire.

Bothrops
01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Agreed, especially since there's so much turnover these days.

deltadawg99
01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
That's why you put a buyout clause in coaching contracts.

Dawg496
01-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Why not just leave the spot open? I mean anyone that has a good year might leave in a year or two. **** it let's play a man down.

Thick
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Why not just leave the spot open? I mean anyone that has a good year might leave in a year or two. **** it let's play a man down.

That means someone would have to coach 2 positions....not smart at all.

Dawg496
01-03-2015, 04:42 PM
I was just being sarcastic. You might be also, not sure.

But turnover is commonplace in today's college football world. We shouldn't be scared of it.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 04:46 PM
I'll take Diaz for three years over O for one

Dawg496
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I'll take Diaz for three years over O for one

There's nothing that guarantees that.

EAVdog
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Coach O as assistant HC and Recruiting Coordinator and Manny as DC.

That's my fantasy at least.

engie
01-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Just wanted to state that if he was hired, then i'm guessing he wouldn't be here for more than a year....he would be a hired gun. If it's Diaz, i think it's a great hire.

How is this any different for Diaz in comparison to Ogre? Diaz has already PROVEN that he'll leave MSU after a year in the face of elite returning talent... I prefer Diaz as DC compared to Ogre -- but let's build it on a solid foundation and not some faux criteria...

Diaz - 16 year coaching career - 6 different spots
Ogre - 32 year coaching career - 11 spots.

Ogre stays 2.9 years on average
Diaz stays 2.7 years on average

I fail to see how keeping one is any more likely than keeping the other...

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:19 PM
There's nothing that guarantees that.

Can't ignore common sense either

MetEdDawg
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
I was just being sarcastic. You might be also, not sure.

But turnover is commonplace in today's college football world. We shouldn't be scared of it.

This. For where we are at, this is very commonplace. We aren't a mid tier program anymore, but we aren't in the upper tier yet. So we have the potential to lose coordinators not only to better coordinator positions, but there is also the possibility to lose coordinators to HC jobs, as was seen by the interest Gonzales drew from CSU.

If we can put together 2 more 9-10 win seasons, I think we will firmly plant ourselves into that upper tier of programs and see less coordinator turnover. Top 15-20 schools where coordinators really only leave for HC jobs. That will limit the amount of turnover because obviously there are fewer spots to leave to if you are only leaving for HC jobs. But that will also require us to increase our salary competitively to ensure coordinators aren't leaving for other coordinator jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised in the next 2-3 years to see Gonzales become a HC, see Townsend either go back to the NFL or become a DC, and if we do well over the next few years, to see whoever our next DC go. Have a successful next 2-3 years and I think we will only have to worry about position coaches going and not coordinators so much.

BHildreth3
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
How is this any different for Diaz in comparison to Ogre? Diaz has already PROVEN that he'll leave MSU after a year in the face of elite returning talent... I prefer Diaz as DC compared to Ogre -- but let's build it on a solid foundation and not some faux criteria...

Diaz - 16 year coaching career - 6 different spots
Ogre - 32 year coaching career - 11 spots.

Ogre stays 2.9 years on average
Diaz stays 2.7 years on average

I fail to see how keeping one is any more likely than keeping the other...

All i'm saying is that i know for a fact that Diaz wants the job badly. He's wanted it for more than a year. He left us to go to freaking TEXAS - i would have told anyone to leave MSU and go to TEXAS. I don't fault him for doing that. He's probably a better coach now than when he was here - i thought he was a solid hire then, and he'd be a better hire now.

Statefan
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Kinda apathetic either way to having Manny back, but he got one heck of a pay raise at Texas too. How can anyone fault him for going to Texas + making like double

engie
01-03-2015, 06:41 PM
All i'm saying is that i know for a fact that Diaz wants the job badly. He's wanted it for more than a year. He left us to go to freaking TEXAS - i would have told anyone to leave MSU and go to TEXAS. I don't fault him for doing that. He's probably a better coach now than when he was here - i thought he was a solid hire then, and he'd be a better hire now.

I don't blame him for going to Texas -- I do hold a little bit of a grudge about HOW he went about going to Texas though. And, admittedly, maybe that was because of how professionally Hudspeth left immediately beforehand. Hud called all of "his" recruits, telling them that he was leaving to take a head job, but that he had great faith in Coach Mullen/Diaz/(their position coach) to continue to have great success here and that they should stay committed to MSU. Rumor was Diaz's guys found out about it on the ticker on ESPN or when he called to recruit them for Texas and Mullen found out the same way. It was all that needed to happen for us to take a serious hit in that class, which, if held together, would leave us probably with a pretty good shot to be in a playoff this year...(Just add Brassell and Whitehead and our secondary looks different)

Of course he'd want our job badly when he was unemployed or in the Sun Belt. That part should be common sense, especially when he still had ties with us.

My issue is -- I just don't love going down roads been walked before. Diaz was "good" here -- although how good given the talent level can certainly be argued. But on the flip side, the lack of depth he inherited here could also be argued. At the time he was hired the first time, he was an unblemished an up and comer. And our AD was a $38 million total revenue enterprise. He was as good as we could possibly get in that situation IMO.

The situation that we find ourselves in today is one entirely different monetarily/in prestige/etc... I guess I just want to see us build new bridges into an "elite" future, instead of bridges into the "pretty good" past.

All that to say, if Mullen thinks he's the best guy out there, regardless of $$, I'll live with it... and hope that Diaz proves to be truly elite for us next year...