View Full Version : Manny Diaz

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 02:54 PM
First year as LTech DC they are...

1st in the nation in interceptions
2nd in the nation in tackles for loss
5th in the nation in turnover margin
16th in the nation in sacks

I'd be pretty damn happy if we can somehow get both Diaz and Orgeron. I didn't want Diaz back till I looked up his defense this year. Impressive.

GreenheadDawg
01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
I just think this is a very lackluster hire. It seems like we just went the easy route instead of really going hard for someone like Clancy or Durkin. I'll be honest, I would rather have O. I don't remember Manny being much of a recruiter. Hopefully I'm wrong about that

smootness
01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I just think this is a very lackluster hire. It seems like we just went the easy route instead of really going hard for someone like Clancy or Durkin. I'll be honest, I would rather have O. I don't remember Manny being much of a recruiter. Hopefully I'm wrong about that

It seems clear Mullen wants a younger, more energetic guy who has a scheme designed to make big plays and create turnovers. He obviously likes Diaz and his scheme. It doesn't surprise me that he would want him back if he feels confident he won't leave this time for his next big shot.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 03:28 PM

I'm more worried about Deshea Townsend and Mullen's infatuation with him than I am Manny Diaz. Our DB's sucked burnt ass this year. What has Townsend done besides being a Steeler?

CadaverDawg
01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm more worried about Deshea Townsend and Mullen's infatuation with him than I am Manny Diaz. Our DB's sucked burnt ass this year. What has Townsend done besides being a Steeler?

In fairness, Calhoun and Redmond played well I thought. Our Safeties on the other hand....

engie
01-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Led the league in passes defended, 3rd in INTs, led in PBUs, 2nd in comp% D, etc...

It wasn't his scheme, nor his safeties(both talent and usage) that was the problem for us this year. Our corners have been pretty good the last 2 years.

engie
01-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Infinitely better option as DC than Ogre...

Still don't get the infatuation with rehires Mullen has. Diaz screwed us badly in how he left the first time.

cheewgumm
01-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Thank you sir, may I have another.

SallyStansbury
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
The rehire thing is a measure of control I suspect.....

I bet Mullen thinks that by doubling Diaz's salary, and taking him back at an SEC program, and getting him out of Ruston Manny would be submissive and much more willing to 'bend but not break' and 'see eye to eye RE scheme'. If someone owes you they are more easily controlled.

Overall I am pleased with the hire, could have done worse I guess, but I hope we don't start immediately in YR 2 of Diaz like YR 2 of Collins turned out. Can we at least have one yr of nice aggressive play calling before Manny is demanded to bend but not break?

IMissJack
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM

I just don't like taking back a coach that basically gave us the finger and left. It was reported his wife did not like Starkville the first time, why now? Heck, I thought Ellis Johnson did a great job with the D when he was here under Croom. If he did not do a great job, it would have been an even bigger fiasco with McCorvey leading the offense. Heck we should also offer him too while we are doing retreads. We are not going to take the next step without some stability in the assistant coaches. It affects recruiting when the guy recruiting you won't be there in a year.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Led the league in passes defended, 3rd in INTs, led in PBUs, 2nd in comp% D, etc...

It wasn't his scheme, nor his safeties(both talent and usage) that was the problem for us this year. Our corners have been pretty good the last 2 years.

Wtf? Dude we are dead fu@king last in the SEC in passing yards allowed and almost dead last in the entire country. For a school that just put Banks & Slay in the league we have taken gigantic steps backwards in our secondary. We miss Whitley, Banks, Slay and Mitchell bad. Even Charles Mitchell made the league for a bit. Redmond makes nice tackles. That's it.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2015, 04:00 PM
I just don't like taking back a coach that basically gave us the finger and left. It was reported his wife did not like Starkville the first time, why now? Heck, I thought Ellis Johnson did a great job with the D when he was here under Croom. If he did not do a great job, it would have been an even bigger fiasco with McCorvey leading the offense. Heck we should also offer him too while we are doing retreads. We are not going to take the next step without some stability in the assistant coaches. It affects recruiting when the guy recruiting you won't be there in a year.

Maybe the fact that manny now knows the grass isn't always greener, Mullen feels like he would be a guy that can provide some stability long term now.

cheewgumm
01-03-2015, 04:03 PM
I predict if it is manny, he leaves within 3 years... If not sooner.

I would never take him bak and it disappoints me we
Are being "safe" with the hire if this is the choice.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Mullen wants a damn puppet not a real DC.

engie
01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Wtf? Dude we are dead fu@king last in the SEC in passing yards allowed and almost dead last in the entire country.
That's a fool's simplistic manner of looking at a complex stat. We were thrown on more than anyone else because we controlled our games and led extensively more than anyone else. Feel free to look at any "per attempt" metric -- and none of them show us as a very bad pass defense. You can believe what you want to believe -- but CB was NOT our problem this year.

For a school that just put Banks & Slay in the league we have taken gigantic steps backwards in our secondary.
We've taken steps back at S -- and it isn't a new occurrence.

We miss Whitley, Banks, Slay and Mitchell bad. Even Charles Mitchell made the league for a bit. Redmond makes nice tackles. That's it.
You're wrong about corner -- and I should have just let you spew the stupidity in the first place instead of actually trying to debate it with you.

NCDawg
01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe the fact that manny now knows the grass isn't always greener, Mullen feels like he would be a guy that can provide some stability long term now.

It's a business. How many people wouldn't leave if the new employer doubled your salary.

bulldawg28
01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Wtf? Dude we are dead fu@king last in the SEC in passing yards allowed and almost dead last in the entire country. For a school that just put Banks & Slay in the league we have taken gigantic steps backwards in our secondary. We miss Whitley, Banks, Slay and Mitchell bad. Even Charles Mitchell made the league for a bit. Redmond makes nice tackles. That's it.

???? Townsend coaches corners. The big plays happened due to safeties with the exception of the UAB game. My gripe is that Love started and played more than Redmond. Love degressed drastically his senior year.

Really Clark?
01-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Mullen wants a damn puppet not a real DC.

Good lord...smh

CadaverDawg
01-03-2015, 04:18 PM
It's a business. How many people wouldn't leave if the new employer doubled your salary.

Bingo

Coach34
01-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Texas doubled Manny's salary. He didnt give us the finger- it's our fault we couldnt pay him enough. After being in Austin and Ruston, he has a better perspective on things. So does his wife.

Pollodawg
01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Manny>Orgeron from an experience standpoint. I am actually kind of excited. When Manny was here was the last time our D wasn't a liability and was actually a strength. Texas was boned before Manny and from the ground up. I don't think you can take that stint and let it tell the whole story with him.

maroonmania
01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
I predict if it is manny, he leaves within 3 years... If not sooner.

I would never take him bak and it disappoints me we
Are being "safe" with the hire if this is the choice.

I predict that whoever we hire will be gone within 3 years unless its some older Wommack type guy just trying to ride out to retirement.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Engie dead last in the SEC in passing yards allowed is unacceptable.

bulldogcountry1
01-03-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm sure it's been discussed here, but I haven't seen it. Why didn't Diaz have success at Texas?

IMissJack
01-03-2015, 04:33 PM

But how many employers would take you back if you fell on your face?

Maroonthirteen
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
This thread assumes other coordinators with equal or greater experience than Diaz wanted the job. Im going to guess if Diaz is hired again, 1. He promised Mullen multiple years. 2. He is the most qualified canidate.

HSVDawg
01-03-2015, 04:48 PM
First year as LTech DC they are...

1st in the nation in interceptions
2nd in the nation in tackles for loss
5th in the nation in turnover margin
16th in the nation in sacks

I'd be pretty damn happy if we can somehow get both Diaz and Orgeron. I didn't want Diaz back till I looked up his defense this year. Impressive.

Admittedly I'm too lazy to look it up, but is there a reason why you didn't list the rankings in Total Defense and Scoring Defense? I'm much more interested to see those numbers than what is listed above.

Coach34
01-03-2015, 04:49 PM

plenty if you did a good job for them before you left. Not to mention he did an excellent job for Tech

sandwolf
01-03-2015, 04:49 PM

If you are a good employee that brings something to the table, then a good employer would take you back. It is bad business to hold grudges and let your ego dictate major decisions. And it would be one thing if he had left for equal or comparable money, but it is pretty hard to blame someone for leaving for as large of an increase in salary as Diaz got.

Coach34
01-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Admittedly I'm too lazy to look it up, but is there a reason why you didn't list the rankings in Total Defense and Scoring Defense? I'm much more interested to see those numbers than what is listed above.

Tech finished higher than us in both

Really Clark?
01-03-2015, 04:55 PM

He was 2nd in the conference in both of those categories after they were 8th & 9th in the league the year before. Also thought they did a good job against Marshall and Illinois the last two games. The only teams that scored over 40 on them were Oklahoma and Auburn.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Because I'd be contradicting myself. 39th and 36th are their rankings. I would throw in that they have a prolific offense but MSU's is better thus the contradiction of me saying our secondary has been garbage.

TrapGame
01-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech finished higher than us in both

With CUSA level talent too.

engie
01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Engie dead last in the SEC in passing yards allowed is unacceptable.

Who claimed our passing defense this year was acceptable?

We simply said it wasn't on the corners -- and I gave you a laundry list of the data showing that it wasn't.

Fact is -- it was STILL middle of the pack in the SEC regardless of what your limited sensibilities have led you to believe...

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Fact is -- it was STILL middle of the pack in the SEC regardless of what your limited sensibilities have led you to believe...

Fact is -- we got torched by Evan fu@king Engram in the most important football game in the history of our school. Someone's gotta pay for that.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2015, 05:19 PM
We know what we are getting. Plus he is from Miami and use to work for ESPN. Those two thing have to help a little.

engie
01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Fact is -- we got torched by Evan fu@king Engram in the most important football game in the history of our school. Someone's gotta pay for that.

And how many times did we line up a corner on him?

So how in the **** is that Deshea's fault?

This just, further, highlights the ignorance of the argument you are attempting to make.

sandwolf
01-03-2015, 05:24 PM
After being in Austin and Ruston, he has a better perspective on things. So does his wife.

Have you heard this to be the case or are you just speculating?

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:24 PM
And how many times did we line up a corner on him?

So how in the **** is that Deshea's fault?

Would you prefer I focus on Hughes and Collins then?

engie
01-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Would you prefer I focus on Hughes and Collins then?

I'd prefer you focus on the guy whose position group lines up on the TE in the defense we ran...

Hint: It's neither of them.

I'd just prefer you make an argument that isn't ignorant....

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:28 PM
I'd prefer you focus on the guy whose position group lines up on the TE in the defense we ran...

Oh so now it's only TE that burned us over 13 games deep? Haha ridiculous

engie
01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Oh so now it's only TE that burned us over 13 games deep? Haha ridiculous

The moving goalposts as your individual points are destroyed is hilarious...

Just admit you have opened your mouth and inserted your foot about 3 times in this thread -- and we can move on.

"Our corners SUCK -- Fire Deshea!!11!1" - Every individual and per play metric disagrees
"But our pass yards allowed stat says corners were among the worst in the nation!!!1!1" - Also misleading on per play metrics and the method in which we won most of our games.
"Well they do!!1!1" - No one said it was great. Just that the vast majority of us agree you are misplacing blame and going WAYYY into hyperbole about how bad it was.
"But we've got to fire the guy responsible for letting Engram loose!!1!1" - Yeah -- the DC whose LBs line up on TEs. Egg Bowl pass problems were NOT on the corners. At all.
"But really, our pass d was the sux!!1!1 - Blankstare.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2015, 05:44 PM

What I always like about Elite Dawg is being able to discuss Miss State sports with out attacking each other. That's why a lot of people here left Six Pack. You do it more than anyone else here. I have also notice you do it over at the pack a whole lot.

Lighten up a little.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
The moving goalposts as your individual points are destroyed is hilarious...

Just admit you have opened your mouth and inserted your foot about 3 times in this thread -- and we can move on.

"Our corners SUCK -- Fire Deshea!!11!1" - Every individual and per play metric disagrees
"But our pass yards allowed stat says corners were among the worst in the nation!!!1!1" - Also misleading on per play metrics and the method in which we won most of our games.
"Well they do!!1!1" - No one said it was great. Just that the vast majority of us agree you are misplacing blame and going WAYYY into hyperbole about how bad it was.
"But we've got to fire the guy responsible for letting Engram loose!!1!1" - Yeah -- the DC whose LBs line up on TEs. Egg Bowl pass problems were NOT on the corners. At all.
"But really, our pass d was the sux!!1!1 - Blankstare.

Our secondary sucked ass dude. That's corners. That's safeties. That's Deshea that's Hughes that's Collins. You are a fu@king moron.

GreenheadDawg
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
What I always like about Elite Dawg is being able to discuss Miss State sports with out attacking each other. That's why a lot of people here left Six Pack. You do it more than anyone else here. I have also notice you do it over at the pack a whole lot.

Lighten up a little.

He can't help it. He genuinely thinks he's smarter than everyone

engie
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Lighten up a little.

www.genespage.com

If I want posting advice, I'll ask for it.

engie
01-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Our secondary sucked ass dude. That's corners. That's safeties. That's Deshea that's Hughes that's Collins. You are a fu@king moron.

LOL. Stats. Show them to me. Something other than "total yards allowed on 40 passes per game when most teams only got thrown on 30 times -- because they were 3 scores behind MSU"...

engie
01-03-2015, 05:49 PM
He can't help it. He genuinely thinks he's smarter than everyone

Smarter than everyone? No.

I do fancy myself above stupid though. And I find it funny how we've got what virtually is amounting to a coalition of stupid here now that "take each other's back" in arguments with me regardless of how ridiculous the initial point they are backing is.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Lighten up a little.

Thanks but it's expected from Engie after he's been made to look like a fool with Ray. Engie and I have had the longest beef ever going with hoops and Ray has simply let Engie down. That argument has now been put in the grave so Engie must make up for that in other areas. Looks like we found one. Be prepared to have Engie disagree with me on just about anything I post from here on for a long damn time. Maybe till we become successful in basketball again. If ever that happens again.

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Lighten up a little.

exactly. and the fact that the mods of this forum allow him to stick around when all he does is try to cause division among what should be a united fan base blows my mind and causes me to wish they would either ban people like him or it wont be long this site will be split just like sps was. There have been those banned from this site that are FAR less divisive and annoying than engie is.

Dawg61
01-03-2015, 05:55 PM
LOL. Stats. Show them to me. Something other than "total yards allowed on 40 passes per game when most teams only got thrown on 30 times -- because they were 3 scores behind MSU"...

Teams pick on the weak part of the defense. There's a reason why every damn team but GTech threw on us 40 times a game. It literally can not be more obvious what everyone else sees as the weak part of our defense. Only you still don't see it. Wake the **** up dude and stop staring at stats. They are making you Will James ignorant to common sense.

engie
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks but it's expected from Engie after he's been made to look like a fool with Ray. Engie and I have had the longest beef ever going with hoops and Ray has simply let Engie down. That argument has now been put in the grave so Engie must make up for that in other areas. Looks like we found one. Be prepared to have Engie disagree with me on just about anything I post from here on for a long damn time. Maybe till we become successful in basketball again. If ever that happens again.

You're just an idiot. I've known it for a long time -- but for some reason -- I keep finding myself drawn to your totally idiotic viewpoints.

CUT CRAIG THOMAS!!1!1 You haven't proven shit about Ray yet. But I know you enjoyed losing your $$ last night while pulling against MSU, and I look forward to you totally disappearing from the basketball debate like a bitch -- as you do every time there is anything to actually cheer for...

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM

after just a few more weeks, you wont have to worry about Engie ever posting or commenting about MSU basketball again on this site. You are welcome! :cool:

engie
01-03-2015, 05:58 PM
exactly. and the fact that the mods of this forum allow him to stick around when all he does is try to cause division among what should be a united fan base blows my mind and causes me to wish they would either ban people like him or it wont be long this site will be split just like sps was. There have been those banned from this site that are FAR less divisive and annoying than engie is.

Divisive?

You mean like "never betting against MSU" and then actively betting against them twice in the same thread?

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Teams pick on the weak part of the defense. There's a reason why every damn team but GTech threw on us 40 times a game. It literally can not be more obvious what everyone else sees as the weak part of our defense. Only you still don't see it. Wake the **** up dude and stop staring at stats. They are making you Will James ignorant to common sense.

Will is NOTHING compared to Engie. Atleast Will keeps it to baseball. Its annoying but atleast SOMETIMES Will does get things correct. Engie never does and does it on everything!

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Divisive?

You mean like "never betting against MSU" and then actively betting against them twice in the same thread?

It was worth it to get rid of your posts

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 05:59 PM

+1. We all work for money. I would have left if I were in his shoes and I would be coming back and be thankful if I were in his shoes again. If I were Mullen I'd hire him back. It's all business.

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Divisive?

And I still expect you to prove that I made any agreements regarding baseball. I am not saying I didn't but I certainly thought I said I felt they wouldn't win 30 games but I never remember betting on it. If I am proven wrong then fine, I just think you are stretching and warping my words. I know the agreement we had on Basketball. Remember it plainly but sure don't remember the baseball deal.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Our pass defense was garbage. It's really that simple.

engie
01-03-2015, 06:04 PM

So, let me get this straight -- you are modifying your argument again -- for the 5th time -- in this thread? That's what pisses me off about you. That's what's ignorant. Form a concise opinion -- stick to that opinion. Defend that opinion. It's easy -- but you can't do it. It's ALWAYS a constant moving of goalposts. No consistency whatsoever.

Pass rating against - 6th in SEC
INTs - t3 SEC
TDs allowed - 7th SEC
YPA - 10th SEC
Completion percentage allowed - 2nd SEC
Passes defended - 1st SEC
PBUs - 1st SEC

So, tell me again how "we had one of the worst pass defenses in the country and need to fire our cornerbacks coach"?

For the 1092438012983th time -- we had poor S play this year. Everyone acknowledges that.
1Bs in the back 7 were a mistake. Everyone acknowledges that.
Lining up a LB other than Wells on a slot receiver or TE was a mistake. Everyone acknowledges that.
Our overall pass d underperformed this year relative to expectations. Everyone acknowledges that.

You can't make a damn bit of it Deshea Townsend's fault though, outside of the UAB game.

engie
01-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Will is NOTHING compared to Engie. Atleast Will keeps it to baseball. Its annoying but atleast SOMETIMES Will does get things correct. Engie never does and does it on everything!

Thanks, fanboy.

Dawg61
after just a few more weeks, you wont have to worry about Engie ever posting or commenting about MSU basketball again on this site. You are welcome! :cool:

Thanks but we have a better chance of Ray winning the NC this year than Engie actually honoring that bet.

engie
It was worth it to get rid of your posts

You haven't gotten rid of shit yet. It will be worth it to see you go though.

engie
01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
And I still expect you to prove that I made any agreements regarding baseball. I am not saying I didn't but I certainly thought I said I felt they wouldn't win 30 games but I never remember betting on it. If I am proven wrong then fine, I just think you are stretching and warping my words. I know the agreement we had on Basketball. Remember it plainly but sure don't remember the baseball deal.

Don't worry. It's saved.

engie
01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks but we have a better chance of Ray winning the NC this year than Engie actually honoring that bet.

I honor my bets.

Unlike some here.

preachermatt83
01-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Don't worry. It's saved.

good.

basedog
01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
As Mr Wonderful says on Shark Tank "Stop The Madness"!

No need to attack each other!

preachermatt83

oh he will on this one.

Dawg61
So, let me get this straight -- you are modifying your argument again -- for the 5th time -- in this thread?

Pass rating against - 6th in SEC
INTs - t3 SEC
TDs allowed - 7th SEC
YPA - 10th SEC
Completion percentage allowed - 2nd SEC
Passes defended - 1st SEC
PBUs - 1st SEC

So, tell me again how "we had one of the worst pass defenses in the country and need to fire our cornerbacks coach"?

For the 1092438012983th time -- we had poor S play this year. Everyone acknowledges that.
1Bs in the back 7 were a mistake. Everyone acknowledges that.
Lining up a LB other than Wells on a slot receiver or TE was a mistake. Everyone acknowledges that.
Our overall pass d underperformed this year relative to expectations. Everyone acknowledges that.

You can't make a damn bit of it Deshea Townsend's fault though, outside of the UAB game.

Looks like Engie and Mullen are both infatuated with DT. I have been underwhelmed with the DT hire. Those two SB rings do sure carry a lot of weight for him.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
There's only one person that is Always included in each argument. That's all I'll say about it. That's enough, Gents. Let's close this one down.