PDA

View Full Version : January 3, 2015 Severe Weather Thread

TheRef
01-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Well it looks like the system may not be as potent as previously believed. The main pre-frontal threat band has already pushed to a line from Greenwood to Yazoo City, and extends down to Port Gibson. The system is moving ENE fairly slowly and looks to stay linear (which is good for not as frequent tornadoes). Behind the front, it looks like steady rain is on the menu as a fairly extensive rain shield will move over the area.

MaxedOutMaroon
01-03-2015, 09:55 AM
When will the rain begin today?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 09:56 AM
When will the rain begin today?

For where?

GreenheadDawg
01-03-2015, 10:02 AM
For where?

How about Baton Rouge? Are storms expected to be severe down here?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 10:07 AM
How about Baton Rouge? Are storms expected to be severe down here?

Possibly...your main threat is straight-line winds

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I'm disappointed. Was all ready to get out and try some new equipment and radar software. Still hoping things destabilize enough to give us a couple discrete supercells between meridian and Starkville. April is just too far off.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm disappointed. Was all ready to get out and try some new equipment and radar software. Still hoping things destabilize enough to give us a couple discrete supercells between meridian and Starkville. April is just too far off.

Didn't help that it got so foggy yesterday...that never helps you as far as severe weather is concerned.

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 10:31 AM
What about Aberdeen/Amory area? Been in tree stand all morning and rain has been pretty steady. Stopped for now but still dark.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I know. My plan now is to wait on the 10:30 SPC update and decide what to do then regarding chasing. Had thought about heading to meridian and letting that be where I waited for things to fire up. If current trends hold I may just sit here at the house and maybe head out on a local storm if it looks interesting.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 10:36 AM
What about Aberdeen/Amory area? Been in tree stand all morning and rain has been pretty steady. Stopped for now but still dark.

Aberdeen looks to be clear from rain until a couple of hours from now when the pre-frontal boundary comes through.

hells bells
01-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Aberdeen looks to be clear from rain until a couple of hours from now when the pre-frontal boundary comes through.

Hey Ref, what about the Meridian area?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Hey Ref, what about the Meridian area?

You're mostly going to be waiting until the afternoon...if it's sunny and clear down there, watch out.

hells bells
01-03-2015, 10:43 AM
You're mostly going to be waiting until the afternoon...if it's sunny and clear down there, watch out.

No, overcast with rain this morning. Foggy last night. Well strike that, seeing some blue skies.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 10:46 AM
No, overcast with rain this morning. Foggy last night.

That lessens the threat for sure. I would still advise you to watch out for it, because weather is weird.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Tornado watch likely to be issued shortly for southern and eastern parts of the state.

Rayburn8
01-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Is all of this below the Oxford area?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Is all of this below the Oxford area?

The main threat is below Oxford, yes.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
The main threat is below Oxford, yes.
You could almost say south of Meridian but some possible north of there. I'd say south of highway 82 and east of I-55 would be the borders.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
You could almost say south of Meridian but some possible north of there. I'd say south of highway 82 and east of I-55 would be the borders.

Unless you're talking about the SW portion of the State....yes it's unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past this system.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
The Tornado Watch has just been issued until 6:00 PM CST. Graphics are coming soon.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0001.html?z=1420304586.95

TheRef
01-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Here is your Tornado Watch #1 Graphic from the Storm Prediction Center

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0001_radar.gif

And full text:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 1
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1105 AM CST SAT JAN 3 2015

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
COASTAL WATERS

* EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1105 AM UNTIL
600 PM CST.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A FEW TORNADOES POSSIBLE
SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 65 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 60 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF
MERIDIAN MISSISSIPPI TO 50 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HOUMA LOUISIANA.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU1).

TUSK
01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Well it looks like the system may not be as potent as previously believed. The main pre-frontal threat band has already pushed to a line from Greenwood to Yazoo City, and extends down to Port Gibson. The system is moving ENE fairly slowly and looks to stay linear (which is good for not as frequent tornadoes). Behind the front, it looks like steady rain is on the menu as a fairly extensive rain shield will move over the area.

damn, you weathermen! what am I supposed to do with all this milk, eggs, water and teen, asiatic hoors?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
damn, you weathermen! what am I supposed to do with all this milk, eggs, water and teen, asiatic hoors?

Haha....EAT IT ALL, TUSK

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Turned to shit in Collins!!! Sirens going off when I went to Sonic. Tornado warning.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Turned to shit in Collins!!! Sirens going off when I went to Sonic. Tornado warning.

Confirmed Tornado headed right for Chunky

Mjoelner34
01-03-2015, 04:15 PM

I think that one went north of you Downward. Was on the phone with my folks in Mt. Olive and they were in the basement. I think it went through around the south part of Mt. Olive down to Arbo. My mother is going to ride that way later and look for damage and call me.

Really Clark?
01-03-2015, 04:17 PM
I think that one went north of you Downward. Was on the phone with my folks in Mt. Olive and they were in the basement. I think it went through around the south part of Mt. Olive down to Arbo. My mother is going to ride that way later and look for damage and call me.

Tree down at Rock hill Church near Arbo.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Yeah, it was really dark north of my house on 84.

hells bells
01-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Here is your Tornado Watch #1 Graphic from the Storm Prediction Center

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0001_radar.gif

And full text:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 1
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1105 AM CST SAT JAN 3 2015

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
COASTAL WATERS

* EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1105 AM UNTIL
600 PM CST.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A FEW TORNADOES POSSIBLE
SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 65 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 60 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF
MERIDIAN MISSISSIPPI TO 50 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HOUMA LOUISIANA.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU1).

Coming right toward me now. You were correct Ref. Taking cover.

archdog
01-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Any updates for the Columbus area?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Any updates for the Columbus area?

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in effect for that whole area....70 mph wind gusts possible.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Radar Scope. I have the app but I have no idea how to use it. It's complicated.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Radar Scope. I have the app but I have no idea how to use it. It's complicated.

Okay...so RadarScope is really good app for radar data. The only problem is that if you don't know how to use it, it can be complicated. It is only used for radar pretty much. You're not going to get push notifications from it or anything, but for someone wanting to get solely radar data, it's really good. Basic things you need to look at as far as tornadoes are concerned are Base Reflectivity, Storm Relative Velocity (look for red and green beside each other, there's your circulation), and maybe ZDR/CC if you know how to use it.

notsofarawaydawg
01-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Clay, Lowndes and Oktibbeha just put under a tornado warning. Starkville is where rotation is and should be moving north northwest of Columbus.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Clay, Lowndes and Oktibbeha just put under a tornado warning. Starkville is where rotation is and should be moving north northwest of Columbus.

No reports of a tornado on the ground right now, but it would be rain-wrapped anyway making it pretty much unable to view.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Reports of trees down in Aspen Heights complex to the East of campus.

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Coming down in buckets here between Aberdeen and Amory. Never seen a winter storm like this in January. Winds starting to pick up a bit and thunder/lightning all around. Would say a good 0.5-1 inch of rain has fallen in 30 minutes. Is tornado south of me? I'm in a box stand hoping it slacks up to make it back to camp.

mstatefan91
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Hope I still have an apt when I get back...

TUSK
01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Coming down in buckets here between Aberdeen and Amory. Never seen a winter storm like this in January. Winds starting to pick up a bit and thunder/lightning all around. Would say a good 0.5-1 inch of rain has fallen in 30 minutes. Is tornado south of me? I'm in a box stand hoping it slacks up to make it back to camp.

OT, what caliber rifle ya got w ya?

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 05:32 PM
OT, what caliber rifle ya got w ya?

Browning 7 mm rem. mag. Had old trusty about 14 seasons now.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Honestly, I wish you weren't in a stand right now and were in a safe place.

TUSK
01-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Browning 7 mm rem. mag. Had old trusty about 14 seasons now.

I'm a Browning cat, too... 270 A-Bolt....

sorry, REF, sorry for the Hi Jack... what's the skinny East of Columbus?

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:35 PM

It is moving more ENE right now on a track to go right over Columbus AFB.

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Honestly, I wish you weren't in a stand right now and were in a safe place.

It's either in here or my travel trailer. Not sure which is best, and I had hoped the 3 hour window of no rain we got would lend to some deer movement. At least I am surrounded by a thick pocket of 20-25 ft young line trees. Few much taller than stand and blocking most wind. Calming down now.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
It's either in here or my travel trailer. Not sure which is best, and I had hoped the 3 hour window of no rain we got would lend to some deer movement. At least I am surrounded by a thick pocket of 20-25 ft young line trees. Few much taller than stand and blocking most wind. Calming down now.

Most of it is to the South of you...

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 05:44 PM

I got a BAR Safari back in 2000 because I shoot left handed and could only find right handed bolt actions at the time. Have since located a newer BAR LH but the scope I out in wasn't strong enough to withstand the kick.!think I broke the crosshairs. Went back to old one since I haven't found a new scope I like.

Yea ref., sorry for getting a little off topic. Should probably take this to Outdoor forum.

TUSK
01-03-2015, 05:45 PM

I'd figure the deer would have moved some... you see anything at all?

yep,,,, ill go over there....
(outdoor forum)

DoctorDawg
01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I live between Caledonia and Air Force Base, heavy rain no wind at all. Looked bad, but just a flood.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I live between Caledonia and Air Force Base, heavy rain no wind at all. Looked bad, but just a flood.

Good to hear, man.

Mjoelner34
01-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Just ran to town to get something to eat and to check on a friend that runs the deer pens and didn't see any damage around Aspen Heights. There is a cedar tree approximately 16 inches in diameter snapped off and partially blocking Blackjack Rd about a mile east of Aspen Heights. It's almost right at the end of my driveway. I also had a dead tree down blocking my driveway. Power is out in Starkville along Hwy 12 from Montgomery St. to Campus.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Just ran to town to get something to eat and to check on a friend that runs the deer pens and didn't see any damage around Aspen Heights. There is a cedar tree approximately 16 inches in diameter snapped off and partially blocking Blackjack Rd about a mile east of Aspen Heights. It's almost right at the end of my driveway. I also had a dead tree down blocking my driveway. Power is out in Starkville along Hwy 12 from Montgomery St. to Campus.

Good report, man. If you don't mind, can you fill out the info on here so that NWS Jackson can have an official report? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/StormReport/SubmitReport.php?site=jan

DownwardDawg
01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Okay...so RadarScope is really good app for radar data. The only problem is that if you don't know how to use it, it can be complicated. It is only used for radar pretty much. You're not going to get push notifications from it or anything, but for someone wanting to get solely radar data, it's really good. Basic things you need to look at as far as tornadoes are concerned are Base Reflectivity, Storm Relative Velocity (look for red and green beside each other, there's your circulation), and maybe ZDR/CC if you know how to use it.

Dude, if I had your cell number I would have called you earlier. It was a lot harrier than my post let on. My kids were on the highway headed toward home. My wife and I were in town. I called the kids and sent them back south and met them. Watched the radar together on my phone then we all headed home.

Mjoelner34
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Good report, man. If you don't mind, can you fill out the info on here so that NWS Jackson can have an official report? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/StormReport/SubmitReport.php?site=jan

Done.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Done.

Thanks, man. Helps with efforts and the accuracy of ratings and stuff like that. Also helps meteorologists better tell what will happen based on what is on radar.

Mjoelner34
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Ref, just talked with a co-worker. He's out on Rendering Plant Rd in Tibbee. He's got several trees down across his driveway and it wiped out his gazebo. He said he had several large trees snapped off about 5 feet above the ground. I'll head out there tomorrow with a camera to see what he's got.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Ref, just talked with a co-worker. He's out on Rendering Plant Rd in Tibbee. He's got several trees down across his driveway and it wiped out his gazebo. He said he had several large trees snapped off about 5 feet above the ground. I'll head out there tomorrow with a camera to see what he's got.

Dude....that's awesome.

Barking 13
01-03-2015, 06:36 PM
In west AL, the storm broke apart around the stateline and went north and south of me... just a lot of rain.. I bet I've had a foot here in the last week or so...

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Back from the chase. I've got one thing to say about the part of ms between Jackson and Meridian...Weyerhauser is really slipping. Too many trees to see jack. Might as well been chasing in the Amazonian rain forest. Sad when you're close enough to hear one but can't see it.

TheRef
01-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Back from the chase. I've got one thing to say about the part of ms between Jackson and Meridian...Weyerhauser is really slipping. Too many trees to see jack. Might as well been chasing in the Amazonian rain forest. Sad when you're close enough to hear one but can't see it.

That's why you don't chase in "The Jungle" as it's commonly called.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2015, 08:23 PM
That's why you don't chase in "The Jungle" as it's commonly called.

For some reason I didn't think it was that bad there. I was wrong.

FlabLoser
01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
From twitter... Click for pics

https://twitter.com/StandAlonePhoto/status/551537331124322304

Pictures of the front during the tornado warning in Brandon, Ms @heathersophiawx @NWSJacksonMS @JimCantore http://t.co/REUbmqgtUL