PDA

View Full Version : My Humpday Rant from 247

Coach34
06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I read over and over on here people bitching about Mullen's recruiting
Then these same people turn right around and bitch about the defense this season and how they worry we wont be very good.

Our Defense:

DE's- We have a 5-star and a 2-star diamond starting, backed up by a 5-star (Jones), 4-star (Jefferson), and two 3-stars (Brown and Dale)- our top 4 should be two 5-stars,a 4-star, and a 2-star diamond...that's pretty good ratings

DT's- out of the 5 we have there- they are a 5-star, three 4-stars, and a 3-star....that's pretty good ratings

LB- all 3-star guys starting. Their back-ups are two 4-star guys and a 3-star...not really highly rated, but a good group. Skinner moves to his natural position and McKinney has shown he was underrated

CB- we have two 4-stars and two 3-stars battling it out. We just sent two 3-stars to the NFL draft from this position

Safety- we have a 4-star and abunch of 3-star guys battling for playing time.

So, as I see it:

we have a star-studded front that supposedly has a better DL coach this year. Anybody disagree with that? That should be reason for optimism

We have some talent at LB- Skinner will be in his correct position and our Freshman AA should be better than he was last year. Wells gives us more speed at LB, and we have some highly-rated back-ups. I'm optimistic about that- I'll let you make your own decision there.

Secondary? Gonna be a little green, but we do have guys that have played some. Cox is talented, Jiles and Love showed some flashes during their playing time last year. Redmond should help in the 2nd half of the season after his Bracky suspension is lifted. A good pash rush helps the Secondary and I think they get some help there. I'll be shocked if our Secondary is bad in 2013.

Summary- football games are won and lost on the OL and DL. And based on "star-power" that so many people love- we have the talent to compete on defense with our DL. I think we end up with a pretty good defense

www.elitedawgs.com

The Croom Diaries
06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Some people are so freaking stupid. It's like they live in a prism that only includes what has happened within the last 3 days. They can't see any further back or ahead than that. One guy posted this rant on FWtCT earlier this week which had me shaking my head, laughing and angry all at the same time...

MSU needs tp step up their game and stop being affraid of going after the top recruits in the nation. You can?t win an SEc title without having the best players on your team. My guess is that they are out of touch with players. They need to send their recruiters to some type of social class on how to talk with young people or something. You have to sale the program and not just talk to recruits. I wish I could be a recruiter for them. I would have kids excited about coming to State from all over. You can?t be affraid to go after the big fish. All they can say is yes or no.

Not only was he using two f's when "affraid" but he also wanted to "sale" the program. I'm not sure who would be able to buy it, but whatever. But the top comment there was "our coaches are out of touch with the players and need to send them to some type of social class on how to talk with young people".

engie
06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
You can't "fix" our "sky is falling" crowd. You know that as well as I do. They'll simply continue to call out those of us that look at the big picture every single time something goes badly even in the most tiny of instances. I'm sure I could put together one HELLLLLUVA thread on SPS with links to all the baseball grief a few of us took during our "losing streak" if I was so inclined...

I'm concerned about our recruiting right now -- not going to lie. But I'm not at all concerned about the talent on our roster -- outside of QB and OL depth I'm pretty satisfied with where I expect us to be...

FlabLoser
06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Thin and green at CB. Let's start them out against a Top 5 WR corps.

I hope Redmond is a stud. It usually takes a RFr or SO at least half a year of game time to catch on. **** you Bracky.

engie
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Thin and green at CB. Let's start them out against a Top 5 WR corps.

I hope Redmond is a stud. It usually takes a RFr or SO at least half a year of game time to catch on. **** you Bracky.

Not that thin -- and not that green either.

Out of 371 total tackles from the DB position last year, we return 221 of those tackles. That's 60% -- or higher than the average of our defense overall.

Slay and Banks combined for 103 tackles. Love and Calhoun combined for 49. That would imply that Love/Calhoun played HALF as much as Banks and Slay last year. Do you remember them being in for 1/3 of the snaps? Me either -- and that's a damn good thing(outside of Love's clusterf' fall down job at UK). Those two have seen playing time in 38 games for us combined. IF we start "green" players over them, you'd better believe that we trust the hell out of the youngsters to get it done...

FISHDAWG
06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
you left out the best part - no C Wilson

FlabLoser
06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Not that thin -- and not that green either.

Out of 371 total tackles from the DB position last year, we return 221 of those tackles. That's 60% -- or higher than the average of our defense overall.

Slay and Banks combined for 103 tackles. Love and Calhoun combined for 49. That would imply that Love/Calhoun played HALF as much as Banks and Slay last year. Do you remember them being in for 1/3 of the snaps? Me either -- and that's a damn good thing(outside of Love's clusterf' fall down job at UK). Those two have seen playing time in 38 games for us combined. IF we start "green" players over them, you'd better believe that we trust the hell out of the youngsters to get it done...

I said CB, not DB. And I was referring to pass defense, not run defense. Hard to quantify pass defense since QBs usually don't throw to people who aren't open.

FlabLoser
06-19-2013, 04:26 PM
you left out the best part - no C Wilson

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/oh-you.gif

engie
06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I said CB, not DB. And I was referring to pass defense, not run defense. Hard to quantify pass defense since QBs usually don't throw to people who aren't open.

In that case -- feel free to refer me to Giles, Love, and Calhoun getting burned in the big games?

The point you missed is that that tackles was only used by me to illustrate total snaps played -- and that stat illustrates that Love/Calhoun played about 1/3 of the OVERALL SNAPS last season at the CB/Nickel. That's a long way from "green" at the position.

To me, it's about like calling Graveman "green" prior to last season -- simply because he hadn't really thrown against any SEC teams on the weekends -- despite being a 2-year midweek starter.

BruceWayne
06-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree we gotta go after the big fish. It's like we don't even give our selfs a chance at times.

msstate7
06-19-2013, 04:50 PM

The best pass defense is a good pass rush. Id rather have our experienced dl vs their inexperienced ol more than our inexperienced db's vs their experienced wr's

Goat Holder
06-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Our fanbase will never agree. We'll just never see the big picture, whether it's what should happen with Dudy Noble, or how to recruit the best football team. Too many of 'us' approach it from the wrong angle......from inferiority. Shit, if Ole Miss wasn't artificially inflating their classes then most MSU fans would think we are recruiting well. We're not inferior to anyone, but we are different. And we have to approach it differently.

Goat Holder
06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm concerned about our recruiting right now -- not going to lie.

Why? It's about the same as it has been in recent years. A 4 star WR, two JUCO OL, a 6'7" QB....what's not to like?

engie
06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Why? It's about the same as it has been in recent years. A 4 star WR, two JUCO OL, a 6'7" QB....what's not to like?

A large portion of the MS talent pool is committing early elsewhere. Going to be really tough for us to win that recruiting battle this year without flipping several guys currently committed elsewhere...

So, I guess you could say, I'm more concerned about what we are apparently "missing on" than what we actually currently have...

Goat Holder
06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Well I agree we need to be batting at least .500 every year on the MS talent. I just looked at our list. After last year I swore off the shit that is recrootin. So I don't even know who the prospects are.

At this point the only recruits I get excited about are the hotshot JUCOs. Seems they are the ones who contribute the most at MSU. If we'd only gotten a certain QB......

gravedigger
06-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I agree that the defense will dictate success this year. I'll be more specific.....

It will come down to the DE's and the LB's to contain and pressure along the line of scrimmage. We do that and our defensive backfield will not be required to be as effective as John Banks and crew were the last couple of years.

I think the depth is there on the interior line and I think the speed is there with the linebacking corps. On the offensive side of the ball, if we aren't going to run the read option as much because it isn't our starting qb's strength, we are going to have to eat clock some other way. I think we can do this effectively, but Tyler will have to spread the ball to running backs and Tight ends more than he has in the past.

I also think that our field goal team is going to have to help us stay closer in games and give us more than a one score lead at times if we aren't making the big plays on offense. I just don't see us resembling the Jackie Sherrill brand of grind it out between the tackles to sustain drives. We are going to have to keep that defense off the field and be creative doing it. No, I don't think trick plays are the answer. But 2nd and long and 3rd and long are going to have to be avoided. We just will not have the WR corps to pull us out of tough situations and I don't think Tyler has mastered the timing thing, or at least it didn't look like it at the end of last season or the spring game. He is going to have to make quicker decisions.

Dak Prescott will be key in all of this. Call it a 2 qb system or whatever, but we cannot be limited to one style of offense for an entire game vs the sec defenses we are going to face. Nor can we against OSU in the first game.

Mullen's gameplanning and play calling are going to be put to the test this year. I think he will shine. But count me as one who thinks by seasons end, we will look a great deal different offensively than we did at the beginning.

Ronny
06-19-2013, 06:39 PM
..death the 2013 football team but the bottom line is the 2nd half of the 2012 season was an inexcusable bed-shitting of monumental proportions, & it better not happen again.

We are returning a sr. QB, a tough, experienced OL & at least 2 SEC-caliber RBs. & great TE's, not that Mullen will ever utilize them properly.

MSU has never in its history had a WR corps worth a shit, & I expect that tradition to continue through the 2013 season.

Having said that, we'll have the studs on offense to control the game clock & score points against pretty much everybody except the top-tier competition.

Now as far as the defense...I don't want to see any more avoiding contact by our defense like we saw all through 2012. That nonsense has to stop, & stop now.

I don't have a prediction for this 2013 team but I think their final record is up to them.

Return to nasty, mean, dirty, I'll-knock-your-balls-off-if-you-look-at-me-wrong brand of MSU football & we will be headed to a dignified bowl.

Keep up that shit where you try to arm tackle after the RB is already 5 yards down the field & we are headed for a 4 win season.

HancockCountyDog
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Totally agree....

People also fail to mention Justin Cox when discussing the secondary. The kid was offered by Saban and he has been at MSU since DEC, which is huge.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think our secondary takes a step forward next year with improved game planning and improved DL play.

msstate7
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Totally agree....

People also fail to mention Justin Cox when discussing the secondary. The kid was offered by Saban and he has been at MSU since DEC, which is huge.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think our secondary takes a step forward next year with improved game planning and improved DL play.

If p. smith and Autry do what I think they will, our db's will be fine

HancockCountyDog
06-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Autry needs to step up....

I thought he played much better in the run game as opposed to pass rush, which surprised the hell out of me.

I was a big fan of Cameron Lawrence last year and I really think he was underrated by our fan base. At the end of the day, coach is right, it comes down to the line play, if it improves everyone else looks better.

Coach34
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Autry needs to step up....

I thought he played much better in the run game as opposed to pass rush, which surprised the hell out of me.

I was a big fan of Cameron Lawrence last year and I really think he was underrated by our fan base. At the end of the day, coach is right, it comes down to the line play, if it improves everyone else looks better.

Deonte Skinner is the man to watch- he is taking Cam's spot- his natural position. Deonte has been playing out of position. But he has more overall talent than Cam- but I doubt he is as smart as Cam. His play at the Sam LB will be huge for us. Deonte has been out of position at WLB for the last 2 years. I think he plays well in 2013- and having Wells at the WLB spot with his speed helps make us better as well.

Coach34
06-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Bottom line on recruiting:

OM is offering plenty of money and *****- and we arent. There's your difference.

All their recruits tweet pics of them partying with girls, getting kisses...our recruits get a tour of the indoor practice facility. When you were 17-18- what would you prefer- a chance at ***** or a tour of a cool practice field?

engie
06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Deonte Skinner is the man to watch- he is taking Cam's spot- his natural position. Deonte has been playing out of position. But he has more overall talent than Cam- but I doubt he is as smart as Cam. His play at the Sam LB will be huge for us. Deonte has been out of position at WLB for the last 2 years. I think he plays well in 2013- and having Wells at the WLB spot with his speed helps make us better as well.

I think Wells is going to be the huge upgrade of the group. Skinner just wasn't quick enough for that spot last year IMO...was one of the many problems we had against the spread. Wells is a huge upgrade to team speed -- as is Preston Smith at the other end position and Nickoe at 100%...

Coach34
06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
I think Wells is going to be the huge upgrade of the group. Skinner just wasn't quick enough for that spot last year IMO...was one of the many problems we had against the spread. Wells is a huge upgrade to team speed -- as is Preston Smith at the other end position and Nickoe at 100%...

Exactly

Skinner was too good to be on the bench- but wasnt a good WLB against Spread teams. He's a SLB. He now moves to his natural spot. Wells moves in at WLB and he can cover, blitz, or line-up and play the run like he needs to. Just having people in their proper positions will help. Not to mention what the DL being better will do for them

maroonmania
06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm concerned about our recruiting right now -- not going to lie. But I'm not at all concerned about the talent on our roster -- outside of QB and OL depth I'm pretty satisfied with where I expect us to be...

I think most folks that I've read that are frustrated with recruiting ARE talking about this year seemingly sliding backwards, not the past few years. Everyone knows that Mullen's first couple of full classes were mediocre but the last couple of years had been much better. This year, even with the new practice facility, stadium expansion, another year of going to a bowl, etc. we are seemingly going backward in recruiting. Its early and a lot can happen but things don't look that great so far apart from Staley and Graham when compared to most other SEC programs. I just feel like Mullen and his staff will likely always be average recruiters because Mullen is not that into recruiting and he is personally just not that good at it. It helped when OM was in disarray but that is no longer the situation.

TexasDawg
06-19-2013, 10:08 PM
As far as recruiting goes, I am not too concerned. I remember Mullen speaking about it and saying that the average Rivals stars rating of NFL first round draft picks is only 3.2 stars. I haven't done the math but I would be willing to bet that our starting 22 will average AT LEAST 3.2 stars. Plain and simple some high school kids don't get as much coverage as some others because of where they are from. For example Chris Jones who was a three star until he performed on a much bigger stage and couldn't help but get ranked higher. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, there always is. Just saying I believe in the staff and what they have going right now.

Political Hack
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Skinner is a SLB. E doesn't have the hips to play the weak side. Wells does, and will do it well.

Our defense will ride the success of our DTs. Period. If they create havoc, our LBs will be free to attack and make plays. We've got the athletes we need to attack, but if we go into a soft zone coverage it'll work about as well as it did last year.