PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone offense

msstate7
01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
How long before a team breaks this out again? I think a team like indiana, vandy, Colorado, etc would be well served doing something this. There are a ton of really athletic, small qb's that can't throw well enough for conventional offenses, but would thrive in a wishbone. No one recruits fullbacks anymore, so you could find a nice one that no one wants.

DanDority
01-02-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure if I posted it here or on another site but about a year ago when all the mullen on the hot seat was being thrown around I made the comment that we should and I still think we should have this type of Offense. I know a lot of fans don't like it but if you can run the ball and control the game clock you are more likely to come out with a win.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I think very few run it is because of....recruiting and the NFL. The best recruits want to play in a system that is going to get them ready for the NFL. I think a lot of coaches are worried about the backlash of losing a big time QB recruit or WR recruit because of their offense. Heck, we've seen that some with people criticizing Emory Bellard for Jerry Rice.

If the NFL was more running back driven as opposed to QB driven, you would see it more.

Political Hack
01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
when you get down, you don't come back with the wishbone. I like it as a goal line offense, but you can run the same thing out of the shotgun too. We used to run it a lot. I dont know why we don't put two backs in the backfield anymore.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I think very few run it is because of....recruiting and the NFL. The best recruits want to play in a system that is going to get them ready for the NFL. I think a lot of coaches are worried about the backlash of losing a big time QB recruit or WR recruit because of their offense. Heck, we've seen that some with people criticizing Emory Bellard for Jerry Rice.

If the NFL was more running back driven as opposed to QB driven, you would see it more.

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said that perennial bottom feeders should do it. How many top recruits would it cost Kansas?

msstate7
01-02-2015, 05:45 PM
when you get down, you don't come back with the wishbone. I like it as a goal line offense, but you can run the same thing out of the shotgun too. We used to run it a lot. I dont know why we don't put two backs in the backfield anymore.
True. On the flip side, it's very tough for opposing teams to come back if you get up 2 scores

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

This is a good point in that the wishbone has evolved where it can be run out of the gun. You also don't see split backs with the QB under the center or the I formation as much as you used to as well.

I've always liked it as a goal line offense because when you put two backs back there, the defense doesn't know who is going to get the ball.

Mjoelner34
01-02-2015, 06:33 PM
If I remember correctly, we went wishbone Mullen's first year when we got inside the 10 yard line at Auburn. And.....it worked.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 06:38 PM
If I remember correctly, we went wishbone Mullen's first year when we got inside the 10 yard line at Auburn. And.....it worked.

I would absolutely love to run the wishbone in short yardage and goal line. If we ran it 8-12 times a game, how much practice time would opposing teams have to prepare for it?

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I understand what you're saying. That's why I said that perennial bottom feeders should do it. How many top recruits would it cost Kansas?

I don't know, but it's probably because they feel like that if they are ever going to get out of that bottom feeder role they need to hire a coach that does what the big boys do. But even Kansas I'm sure has guys that they don't want to lose in recruiting. It's like when we watched Jason Campbell go to Auburn and do well.

I also think that there are other ways you can get out of the bottom too. You could do like TCU and run an Air Raid type of system and have success with "lesser" talent and at the same time that's considered more NFL and therefore recruiting friendly. You could do like Ole Miss and run an HUNH and also accomplish the same thing. And they run some more modern versions of the veer and things like that.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 06:41 PM

We ran it against Ole Miss in 2009 on the goal line and Dixon got a TD out of it.

DanDority
01-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I made the case because with good recruiting, teams not being used to facing it, you can almost guaranty a successful season. Yes you are correct if you get behind it is almost impossible to come back. Therefore, you need a shutdown defense. Now, saying all that there will be naysayers because of the years when you don't have the right talent to knock off the big boys. If you look at G.T. their QB was a top athlete that was recruited by Bama to play DB but he wanted to play QB so theirs that to think about. In my opinion we are more apt to have a QB with that talent then we are to have a QB with the talent of a Dak if you look at our history. I could go on but I'm to tired to type any more. Sorry.

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Was it Calvin Johnson that came from GT? I know one of the pro bowl type NFL receivers came from there.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Was it Calvin Johnson that came from GT? I know one of the pro bowl type NFL receivers came from there.

And demaryius thomas

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Were those two elite recruits coming out of hs?

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Both were there when Johnson got there and recruited by the previous staff which ran some type of pro-style or spread offense.

Johnson85
01-02-2015, 08:04 PM

The other problem is you don't win bowl games unless you just outmatch the other team I unless they have coaching problems.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 08:07 PM
The other problem is you don't win bowl games unless you just outmatch the other team I unless they have coaching problems.

I don't think Kansas, Colorado, and the like would mind losing a bowl game.

blacklistedbully
01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
We had limited success with the Wingbone in the 80's. There is a reason we abandoned it. as did all but a very few teams. There is also a reason GT is 2-5 in bowl games with it. We should have handled it this year. Continued crappy tackling technique and an inability to make a defensive adjustment by our coaching staff to Johnson's tactic of getting the A-back to chip our Mike is what made it so successful versus us.

Also, GT's QB has been perfect for them this year. He is a legit passing threat, something that is hard to recruit into a triple-option offense.