PDA

View Full Version : Oregon OC Frost...

Dawg61
01-02-2015, 03:21 PM
did you guys see what Frost was doing last night and all season really? He was calling the next play while the current play was still being run on the field. It was a thing of beauty. He had zero reaction to whatever was happening on the field. It was machine like efficiency. It is new age football and no team that doesn't have a DC and OC in the booth doing the same exact thing can compete against this speed of playcalling. Mullen has to give up playcalling and put both his OC and DC in the booths. Sucks it has to be that way but the HC can not be game managing and OC at the same time and compete against someone like Frost calling plays before the previous play has even finished.

fishwater99
01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I agree, but no way Mullen will give up play-calling. He won't even get a special teams coach.
I really hope he will let the new DC have full control over the defense.

Political Hack
01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I agree that "down and distance" calling is old school, but it still has it's place. you have to use ball control at times. I wish we'd mix it up a little more and be more aggressive, but I can't ever see us going 100% hurry up given CDM's general philosophies.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I agree that "down and distance" calling is old school, but it still has it's place. you have to use ball control at times. I wish we'd mix it up a little more and be more aggressive, but I can't ever see us going 100% hurry up given CDM's general philosophies.

Paul Johnson seemed to do pretty well with "Old School" play calling the other night. The announcers were talking about how he doesn't even script the first drive like most do now. Pure gut, and adjusting to what the other team is doing.

Dawg61
01-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Paul Johnson seemed to do pretty well with "Old School" play calling the other night. The announcers were talking about how he doesn't even script the first drive like most do now. Pure gut, and adjusting to what the other team is doing.

That's vs us though. He'd still be waiting on his gut 2 plays behind Oregon.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 04:29 PM
We have gone from 86th to 39th to 18th in the country over the last 3 years in total plays. Over a 1,001 offensive plays run this year. We are already running it at a pretty high level. For reference Oregon was 9 with 46 more plays. Now granted number of possessions and plays per drive factor in. But our clip is pretty impressive in just two years of implementing some of this scheme.

smootness
01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
That's vs us though. He'd still be waiting on his gut 2 plays behind Oregon.

What are you talking about? Offenses don't compete directly against each other in football. Oregon likes to go fast on offense and call plays at hyper speed. That doesn't mean the other team has to match that. The team who has had the most consistent success against Oregon recently is Stanford, one of the more traditional, slowed down offenses you'll find in major college football.

Mullen does not have to mimic Oregon in order to compete with them. This is my least favorite time of year because of the unbelievable amount of knee-jerk reactions to every result.