PDA

View Full Version : BR Radio Host reporting Brick Haley on short list for MSU DC job

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 02:17 PM
.. guess they are going all in for Clancy and Coach O. I don't know anything about Brick Haley's ability to scheme or call a defense or even recruit.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 02:18 PM
https://twitter.com/mattmoscona/status/551093436531503104

CadaverDawg
01-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Hmm. Not sure if I like.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Good DL coach and recruiter. His only DC job was for Baylor in 1999-2001. Maybe for a year at Troy in mid 90's??

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 02:22 PM
He did coach the DL here under Croom before moving on to the Chicago Bears to do the same. Don't believe he has much if any DC experience although he is a good recruiter.

LSU fans think their defensive problems this year were due to not getting any push with the front four and would be very happy for him to follow Chavis/leave to go elsewhere. He is in tight with a few of their '15 commits but he is allegedly not a good closer.

Take that for what its worth. Underwhelming hire IMO.. you don't even get the sure thing recruiting wise like you would with Coach O and the same resume deficiencies.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I would think this has the makings of a co-DC situation with someone else. I would take him for DL for sure though.

HSVDawg
01-02-2015, 02:28 PM
.. guess they are going all in for Clancy and Coach O. I don't know anything about Brick Haley's ability to scheme or call a defense or even recruit.

This would be similar to hiring Orgeron, although with not quite as much recruiting upside. Haley is a decent recruiter, but not on Orgeron's level. On the plus side, he does have DC experience at Baylor (back when they were awful). Probably no way to know if his success or lack thereof was related to his scheme or the talent level. I think either Haley or Orgeron would be a gamble. Would like to see us get a successful, proven DC.

solodawg
01-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Would be very underwhelmed with this hire. Looks like other SEC teams hit home runs while we continue to bunt..

Smitty
01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Like everything else with MSU football I am prepared to be underwhelmed/let down as we go full little brother to the big boys aGAIN. I want to say it seems like a Stricklin deal that he cannot take us where we need to be where Ninja would have.

bulldawg28
01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Haley just signed a 2 year deal with LSU.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Haley just signed a 2 year deal with LSU.

That was prior to Chavis leaving. LSU fans want him gone but I imagine would have kept the staff together if Chavis had stayed. Now whoever is their new DC will likely bring in his own guy.. and if it's Clancy like they think, he's gonna bring Coach O.

Msujd164
01-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Looks like Mullen outsmarted himself again. Go ahead and promote Sallach to DC

preachermatt83
01-02-2015, 02:41 PM
if this is the hire I am officially done with both mullen and striklin.

deltadawg99
01-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Didn't Brick Haley interview for the DC spot a few years ago?

I wouldn't have a problem with Brick as a co-DC with somebody else coaching LBs and also being a Co-DC.

What about Tommy Thigpen?

Smitty
01-02-2015, 02:44 PM
**** this co-DC shit.

All that means is there is not a strong person there allowing Dan to keep his hand in the cookie jar. We need a STRONG central leader on that side of the ball. Why can't we dole out 1.7 a year for a Clancy?

thunderclap
01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
**** this co-DC shit.

All that means is there is not a strong person there allowing Dan to keep his hand in the cookie jar. We need a STRONG central leader on that side of the ball. Why can't we dole out 1.7 a year for a Clancy?

I agree. We need to just step up and be done with it. It's just like the dumbass 1A and 1B shit.

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
This would be a bad hire.

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
He did coach the DL here under Croom before moving on to the Chicago Bears to do the same. Don't believe he has much if any DC experience although he is a good recruiter.

LSU fans think their defensive problems this year were due to not getting any push with the front four and would be very happy for him to follow Chavis/leave to go elsewhere. He is in tight with a few of their '15 commits but he is allegedly not a good closer.

Take that for what its worth. Underwhelming hire IMO.. you don't even get the sure thing recruiting wise like you would with Coach O and the same resume deficiencies.

He isn't that great of recruiter, agree would be upset if this happens

Smitty
01-02-2015, 02:53 PM
I agree. We need to just step up and be done with it. It's just like the dumbass 1A and 1B shit.

Stricklin can't "step up" I fear. He'd rather eat the scraps from Longshanks table than fight for freedom. I'm frankly sick of this weak ass approach. It's like nominating Romney. It's like your parents not letting you go to the party. It's like kneeling at the 1 against Ole Miss. It's like bend but don't break. It's like having Brackey Brett still employed.
It's like having Brackey Brett still employed....

jumbo
01-02-2015, 02:54 PM
he signed an extension with LSU today so scratch him off

DawgPoundRock
01-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Geez..lets just rehire manny diaz and be done with it. I mean at this rate we will hire a john smith from palookaville high lol

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
he signed an extension with LSU today so scratch him off

Not today - on the 29th. Before Chavis left. See my post above.

Raytoraid83
01-02-2015, 02:59 PM
This is being handled about as well as the basketball coaching search.

thunderclap
01-02-2015, 03:02 PM
This is being handled about as well as the basketball coaching search.

Feels like it. We stepped into another realm this year, it's time our AD acted like it.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Feels like it. We stepped into another realm this year, it's time our AD acted like it.

Stricklin is in over his head. He is good in a second to the AD job like fundraising but he is simply not qualified to make these types of decisions.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 03:13 PM
What the hell are yall talking about? Stricklin won't make the hire and we have no clue what the real search looks like. Who all Mullen has spoken with? We don't know. Has someone turn us down? We don't know. Two days ago the timeline was the same as now and people were not going apeshit then. And Dan has usually hired very well the last 2-3 years. Give him a little freaking due that he might, just hire a good coach.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 03:15 PM
What the hell are of yall talking about? Stricklin won't make the hire and we have no clue what the real search looks like. Who all Mullen has spoken with? We don't know. Has someone turn us down? We don't know. Two days ago the timeline was the same as now and people were not going apeshit then. And Dan has usually hired very well the last 2-3 years. Give him a little freaking due that he might, just hire a good coach.

Stricklin decides the budget. If he tells Mullen he has to make a hire <= 750k, it's completely his fault when A&M, Auburn, LSU, Alabama are paying $1.3 million or more for their DCs.

tcdog70
01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
a Friend of mine ran into O and in their Conversation He asked O if He was coming to Starkville to be our DC . O says He hasn't even talked to anyone in Starkville about a Job.

Bothrops
01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
The defense is going to have to be a complete rebuild. With that challenge at hand, it may very well be about money. Question is, does anyone that we really want, want our DC job?

defiantdog
01-02-2015, 03:18 PM
What the hell are yall talking about? Stricklin won't make the hire and we have no clue what the real search looks like. Who all Mullen has spoken with? We don't know. Has someone turn us down? We don't know. Two days ago the timeline was the same as now and people were not going apeshit then. And Dan has usually hired very well the last 2-3 years. Give him a little freaking due that he might, just hire a good coach.

I trust Mullen when it comes to hiring. Now, I didn't agree with the Wilson promotion but he's a good DL coach. Everyone can say what they will about Collins, but we were all begging for his raise at the end of last season. Mullen will hire a good DC.

Bothrops
01-02-2015, 03:20 PM
a Friend of mine ran into O and in their Conversation He asked O if He was coming to Starkville to be our DC . O says He hasn't even talked to anyone in Starkville about a Job.

I don't believe Coach O, if this conversation happened.

defiantdog
The defense is going to have to be a complete rebuild. With that challenge at hand, it may very well be about money. Question is, does anyone that we really want, want our DC job?

What are you talking about? Complete rebuild? We are 2 good safeties away from being a damn good defense. It was fundamentals that got us.

Really Clark?
I trust Mullen when it comes to hiring. Now, I didn't agree with the Wilson promotion but he's a good DL coach. Everyone can say what they will about Collins, but we were all begging for his raise at the end of last season. Mullen will hire a good DC.

Agreed.

Irondawg
01-02-2015, 03:24 PM
As Clark said it's WAYYY too early to start casting stones at Strick for this. Mullen first has to decide who he wants to offer the job to and then the parties have to negotiate the contract. Now if we had a big fish and he said he wanted $1.1M or something and Strick said "no way" then yeah, feel free to bitch all you want. But nobody knows what has transpired to this point other than we know we have at least talked to a few people.

For example, don't you think Shannon would have come here for a DC or even a Co-DC title before jumping to be FL LB coach? Sure, there's a chance he wanted to get back to FL, but it tells me we probably didn't offer anything.

I do know I don't want Brick and Mullen may be slow playing this as he tries to find somebody he thinks may stick it out 3+ years versus having this revolving door. I know I would if I was him. We can complain about money and Strick, but the MSU DC job is still an upper tier job

cheewgumm
01-02-2015, 03:27 PM
If we offered Oregeron and he is stalling to see if he can get The LSU DL job, then id rescind the offer and offer Shannon the DC job outright.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Stricklin decides the budget. If he tells Mullen he has to make a hire <= 750k, it's completely his fault when A&M, Auburn, LSU, Alabama are paying $1.3 million or more for their DCs.

You are talkng out of your butt because you have absolutely no idea if we even could get a caliber DC that would command that much of a salary to even talk to us. Much less get into a negotiation with them. They are not that many guys out there that can pull that much salary. What is Chizik getting? 750,000 per year plus incentatives? Even the majority of this board would want Coach O wouldn't agree to give him much more than that. Get out of fantasy land.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 03:38 PM
You are talkng out of your butt because you have absolutely no idea if we even could get a caliber DC that would command that much of a salary to even talk to us. Much less get into a negotiation with them. They are not that many guys out there that can pull that much salary. What is Chizik getting? 750,000 per year plus incentatives? Even the majority of this board would want Coach O wouldn't agree to give him much more than that. Get out of fantasy land.

I didn't speculate on anything that has happened. I simply said if Stricklin handcuffs Mullen financially, it is his fault. Calm down, chief. No need to pick internet fights.

fishwater99
01-02-2015, 03:52 PM

He talked to Mullen in NOLA, not Starkville...

msstate7
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know what type of front Haley uses? I know he coaches 4 man front at lsu, but it could be different from his philosophy

tcdog70
01-02-2015, 05:09 PM

So are you calling me a Liar? It happened . Now O might have lied,which is what I thought. But My friend did not Lie and I have no reason to lie so don't be a Dick and call people Liars.

Bama_Dawg
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I love lamp...

Sorry you said Brick Haley, not Tamlin. My bad.

Coach34
01-02-2015, 05:51 PM
So are you calling me a Liar? It happened . Now O might have lied,which is what I thought. But My friend did not Lie and I have no reason to lie so don't be a Dick and call people Liars.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that O interviewed with Mullen.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Am I the only one that finds it interesting that we are interviewing DL coaches for DC jobs when we still have Turner?

If Haley did indeed sign an extension today, I think that answers our questions about what is going to happen.

32 Dive
01-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Whoever we get, better be ONE of two things.

1) A Proven Recruiter
2) A Proven Coordinator

If he fits NEITHER of these, the hire will be a failure.

preachermatt83
01-02-2015, 09:16 PM
I know without a shadow of a doubt that O interviewed with Mullen.

yup.. Mullen went to New Orleans to interview him and if I'm not mistaken Manny was interviewed around the same time as well.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-02-2015, 10:02 PM
I would not want Brick as a D Coordinator, but those saying he can't recruit are flat out wrong. I would take Brick over Townsend as D Coordinator any day, but I don't think we have to worry about that. Hopefully.

I do know this, this hire will define Mullen as a head coach. There is no way he can go back to 6-7 wins per year after the season we had this year, and ever be considered a top coach.

EngineerDawg
01-02-2015, 10:38 PM
I haven't seen the question asked... What if it's taking so long because coaches know what it's like to work for our hc? it ain't for the faint of heart.

defiantdog
01-02-2015, 10:40 PM
I haven't seen the question asked... What if it's taking so long because coaches know what it's like to work for our hc? it ain't for the faint of heart.

Head coaches are like that where ever you go. The only one's that are easy to work with are the one's that are on their way out.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 10:52 PM

I'm going to be real honest here. If there is an assistant coach that doesn't want to come here because Dan "is hard to work for"- well, good riddance.

Political Hack
01-02-2015, 10:52 PM
He talked to Mullen in NOLA, not Starkville...

I heard the significant others even had a shopping trip together while there.