PDA

View Full Version : If things don't work out with Coach Ogeron

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Would the folks on this board be adverse to Coach Jay Hopson being our DC. Heard his name mentioned very early in the process and my initial reaction was "yeah right***" but the more I have read and heard about the man the more impressed and intrigued I have become. The one major drawback is he is an tsun alumni, but would that really be a concern or could it be a big plus?
If one looks at his background and experience and couple that with his success at Alcorn St. as head coach, you have to come away impressed.
His background is defense with emphasis on lb's and db's ( he was a former db himself ). ASU led the conference in total d and was tops in almost every category. His communication skills must be excellent seeing he is the first and only white coach to head coach a HBCU school and he has taken that program and made a complete 180 degree turn around. And done so in only three years.

Just some food for thought, in case the Coach O or other often spoke about scenarios don't come to fruition. Just wondering what the board's thoughts would be.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Interesting thought for sure. I don't see Mullen going that route, but I could be wrong.

Mjoelner34
01-02-2015, 01:07 PM
If things don't work out with O, what about this guy?
http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021014aab.html

engie
01-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't prefer... Would be traditional "small world" thinking for MSU...

He's been a DC a number of places, but never had great defenses. The 2 Memphis D's as the most recent snapshot were terrible. He has certainly proven to be a good head coach though...

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:15 PM

That would be an very a very intriguing possibility as well. Reads like top notch db coaching skills and I don't think anybody would disagree that UL has been recruiting at a very high level for a decade or so.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
The thing with Hopson is the Memphis stint, that may not have been all on him, but takes a lot of shine off of his resume. Not to mention I would be very surprised he would leave a HC right now. If he has continued success he may get an opportunity of getting a head gig at a bigger school.

engie
01-02-2015, 01:22 PM

2 years as a DC in a 35 year career -- where he led Colorado to the #102 and #121 total defenses -- makes him a good option for DC at MSU? He's only ever coached DBs as well, which precludes him to at least one and possibly 2 spots that are not open....

engie
01-02-2015, 01:27 PM
That would be an very a very intriguing possibility as well. Reads like top notch db coaching skills and I don't think anybody would disagree that UL has been recruiting at a very high level for a decade or so.

He's been at Louisville one year. One year at Bama. 2 years as DC at Colorado. 1 year as co-DC at Arizona. 6 years as DB coach at Colorado.

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't prefer... Would be traditional "small world" thinking for MSU...

He's been a DC a number of places, but never had great defenses. The 2 Memphis D's as the most recent snapshot were terrible. He has certainly proven to be a good head coach though...

Been DC at USM and Memphis, USM's defenses were fairly decent during his tenure (2005-07 Bower's last years). At Memphis you gotta look at the overall talent and associated coaches as well, the whole program was comatose during his tenure.(2010-11).

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:37 PM
The thing with Hopson is the Memphis stint, that may not have been all on him, but takes a lot of shine off of his resume. Not to mention I would be very surprised he would leave a HC right now. If he has continued success he may get an opportunity of getting a head gig at a bigger school.

Our most recent dc's salary more than triples Coach Hopson's current salary. Not necessarily pushing for the man, just saying that it would be an interesting possibility.

engie
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Brandon HS looked good on D lately... Let's hire Brad Peterson as our new DC**

I'm really not trying to be a smartass here -- but this is the exact type of thinking that we have GOT to rid ourselves of if we're going to compete in this division. We hang out in a pit of sharks -- we aren't going to win very much if we think like seals.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 01:44 PM
His ties to Ole Miss wouldn't bother me. Hiring him would tell me that we missed on several of our other targets. I don't think it will get that far though.

I think where we basically are right now is Coach O is coming unless Brick Haley leaves LSU. If that happens, I think we bring back Manny Diaz. I can't see Manny choosing Ruston over Starkville, plus it's easier for him to get a "job he wants" if he comes to MSU as opposed to La Tech. If his wife really hates Starkville that much, they can buy a house in Jackson or Memphis and then a condo or apartment in Starkville for the football season.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm really not trying to be a smartass here -- but this is the exact type of thinking that we have GOT to rid ourselves of if we're going to compete in this division. We hang out in a pit of sharks -- we aren't going to win very much if we think like seals.

That's an Ole Miss reference, right?**

msstate7
01-02-2015, 01:49 PM
I want bill clark before any of the realistic names I've heard.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Our most recent dc's salary more than triples Coach Hopson's current salary. Not necessarily pushing for the man, just saying that it would be an interesting possibility.

It's not about money. It's the ability to move up the coaching ranks. HC right now with potential to move up to a bigger HC job trumps immediate pay raise as an assistant. Unless he is strickly looking for money you don't make the move.

MabenMaroon

Not trying to a smartass either, but is what you are saying is that we have to (need to) bring in a heavy hitter with an extensive resume ( Jaws a 30+' great white or would an 16/18' great white or maybe just a 12/15' great white do as well )?

Todd4State

If I were Dan, I would go after Randy Shannon and offer him the DC job before I offer Hopson. I think someone like Bill Clark would be the absolute worst case scenario and I'm almost 100% sure he would take our job.

My guess is our DC big board looks like:

1. Coach O
2. Manny
3. Randy Shannon
4. Clark
5. Hopson and maybe even some others above him.
6. Bully

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Not trying to a smartass either, but is what you are saying is that we have to (need to) bring in a heavy hitter with an extensive resume ( Jaws a 30+' great white or would an 16/18' great white or maybe just a 12/15' great white do as well )?

Honestly, in the SEC yes.

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks folks, it is fun to speculate all of this and trying to imagine the implications and possible results.

PS: I hope we get the "Jaws" we are hoping for, or at least the new dc turn out that way in very short order.

engie
01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Been DC at USM and Memphis, USM's defenses were fairly decent during his tenure (2005-07 Bower's last years). At Memphis you gotta look at the overall talent and associated coaches as well, the whole program was comatose during his tenure.(2010-11).

I don't really care about the "talent level" excuse at Memphis -- great DCs are great strategists. Walking into that situation is just as bad as failing in it.

USM under Tyrone Nix the 2 years before Hobson(total D, scoring D):
2003 - 23, 14
2004 - 57, 54

Hobson:
2005 - 73, 33
2006 - 30, 28
2007 - 48, 41

How was he better than Tyrone Nix while at USM? You remember -- the guy Mullen abused after prettymuch telling him to his face he was about to for 3 years at Ole Miss. The same Tyrone Nix that isn't even the defensive playcaller at MTSU now....

preachermatt83
01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
If I were Dan, I would go after Randy Shannon and offer him the DC job before I offer Hopson. I think someone like Bill Clark would be the absolute worst case scenario and I'm almost 100% sure he would take our job.

My guess is our DC big board looks like:

1. Coach O
2. Manny
3. Randy Shannon
4. Clark
5. Hopson and maybe even some others above him.
6. Bully

didn't Shannon just take the LB's job at Florida?

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Yep. And Rump took the DL job there to I believe.

NCDawg
01-02-2015, 02:04 PM

Yeah, Shannon took the LB job at Florida. We really need things to work out with Orgeron to bring in the athletes we need to compete.

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 02:29 PM
I don't really care about the "talent level" excuse at Memphis -- great DCs are great strategists. Walking into that situation is just as bad as failing in it.

USM under Tyrone Nix the 2 years before Hobson(total D, scoring D):
2003 - 23, 14
2004 - 57, 54

Hobson:
2005 - 73, 33
2006 - 30, 28
2007 - 48, 41

How was he better than Tyrone Nix while at USM? You remember -- the guy Mullen abused after prettymuch telling him to his face he was about to for 3 years at Ole Miss. The same Tyrone Nix that isn't even the defensive playcaller at MTSU now....

Yes Engie! You are a master at google and statistics, I will humbly concede you that! Now take that comment and those same statistics and apply it to what he has done at Alcorn State, seems a bit contradictory to what you are implying doesn't it? Remember there are some old adages that remain very true to this date; 1)There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics, you can make statistics tell you just about anything you want to hear ... 2) the computer is a very useful and powerful tool, but it is not the end to all means nor is the answer to every question, it is what the user does with that information that makes a difference.

engie
01-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Yes Engie! You are a master at google and statistics, I will humbly concede you that! Now take that comment and those same statistics and apply it to what he has done at Alcorn State
He doesn't coach the defense at Alcorn St -- and even if he did -- it doesn't even REMOTELY qualify him to coach the defense at Mississippi State. Brad Peterson. Same difference.

Seems a bit contradictory to what you are implying doesn't it?
Being a successful head coach in a vastly inferior talent league does not imply someone would be a great defensive coordinator in a vastly superior talent and high-stress situation.

Remember there are some old adages that remain very true to this date; 1)There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics, you can make statistics tell you just about anything you want to hear ... 2) the computer is a very useful and powerful tool, but it is not the end to all means nor is the answer to every question, it is what the user does with that information that makes a difference.
I always think it's funny when someone goes against a strictly fact-driven and statistics-driven opinion, by questioning the statistics, while bringing no statistics of their own to support their disagreement.

So, I'll try one more time -- what has Jay Hopson actually done to imply that he can be a nationally-elite defensive playcaller in the western division of the Southeastern Conference? The division that brings in/brings back the guys responsible for the #7, 10, 11, 13, and 14 total defenses in the land THIS YEAR calling plays next season, with us and the pre-eminent defensive school in the country both looking to hire. That's the resume of what we're going against -- and we're talking about SWAC head coaches that were bad at Memphis 5 years ago and were just OK at USM a decade ago? I just find the whole thought process perplexing...

In what way is his resume as a defensive coordinator superior or even equal to that of Carl Torbush?

cheewgumm
01-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Why stops us from offering randy Shannon the SC position, if O doesn't work out?

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Yes, but I doubt we offered him the DC job. Someone else that was just can leave a job as easily as they can us.