PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of college football

MsStateBaseball
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
for what it's worth.

To win a lot of games now, you must have an elite offense. You must have 10 skill guys-QB, RB, WR, TE-that are pretty good. This offense will have to carry the defense. The defenses now, no matter how much talent you have, will not stop any offense of this day and age. You must be a good defense in the red zone like we were this year. Highly skilled DB's and LB's that are good in pass defense is the key.

An elite offense, a stingy defense in the red zone, and a competant kicking game.

There are no more elite defenses that shut down an elite offense. Not going to happen in this day.

Recruit skill on both sides.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2015, 12:48 PM
The kicking game kills us. There is zero chance for us to return one.

dawgs
01-02-2015, 12:56 PM
A D that creates tons of turnovers is huge. Oregon's total D never looks that great (though they are always much better when looking at yds per play), but they are always one of the best in the country at creating turnovers.

But yes, an elite offense is going to put up yds and points on an elite defense more often than not in modern CFB. The offensive innovations in the last 10-15 years have outpaced the defensive developments. The difference now versus 6 or 7 years ago is that the historically premier programs have bought into the spread it out offenses. So now you have 4-5* talent running the offenses oregon, tx tech, wvu, etc had big success with with 3* talent.

cheewgumm
01-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm not saying I want State to do it, but if I were a coach, I'd go:

1) Offense - Full wishbone
2) Defense -Speed, speed, speed - small DL for speed.

All of college football is going in one direction, so I think a team like GT has the right idea.

dawgs
01-02-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm not saying I want State to do it, but if I were a coach, I'd go:

1) Offense - Full wishbone
2) Defense -Speed, speed, speed - small DL for speed.

All of college football is going in one direction, so I think a team like GT has the right idea.

Spread option uses the same concepts as the GT triple option, but gives you a much better passing attack. GT usually struggles when teams have time to prep because their passing game is so limited. Note that I said usually.

archdog
01-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I would rather incorporate their basic package along with our general offense. Also I would mix in the shovel pass inside much more and use this as a lead blocker when doing sweeps or sweep options. It would freeze the lb because of the constant threat of the shovel pass. Basically blocking two guys.

archdog
01-03-2015, 04:26 PM
All of that to say our option game is easy to defend. It works well when we are pushing the pace, but poorly if the d is controlling the point of attack.

RougeDawg
01-03-2015, 04:33 PM
All of that to say our option game is easy to defend. It works well when we are pushing the pace, but poorly if the d is controlling the point of attack.

Any offense that uses 3 main running Plays is easy to defend.

dawgs
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM

we didn't actually option much the last month of the season. that was one of our big problems. it was either a straight hand off or a straight QB power.

drunkernhelldawg
01-03-2015, 05:33 PM
I think our offense had enough power, but it seems like we didn't adjust when we needed to. I think our chances would have been better with more straight up play. I think constantly trying to confuse defenses affected the quality of our execution in the running game. Bottom line is that every team can play elite in spurts, but the championship comes to those that do it the most and the most consistently.

rabbitthedawg
01-03-2015, 05:42 PM
If state went to the wishbone, I'd probably just stay home!