PDA

View Full Version : Coach O's friend Mike D on OOB this morning

BeastMan
01-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Don't know if yall just heard Mike Detillier on OOB. Basically just laid out the Coach O deal. Right now, MSU is the leader but if Brick Haley leaves, he'll go to LSU. LSU has not talked to him though. He said he 100% thinks Coach O is coaching college next year.

Also said Brick Haley has a big buyout and his extension locked him in. Said LSU would have to let him out of it.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Don't know if yall just heard Mike Detillier on OOB. Basically just laid out the Coach O deal. Right now, MSU is the leader but if Brick Haley leaves, he'll go to LSU. LSU has not talked to him though. He said he 100% thinks Coach O is coaching college next year.

Also said Brick Haley has a big buyout and his extension locked him in. Said LSU would have to let him out of it.

I heard that, and it makes me wonder if we've only offered O a D-line job?

I can't imagine O passing up the D coordinator job at MSU for the D-line job at LSU. That wouldn't make any sense for him.

If O's goal is to become a head coach, then he's just as close to becoming a head coach by sitting on his couch than he is as LSU's D-line coach. No body doubts O's ability to recruit and develop D-linemen. The missing part of his resume is the ability to put together a competent game plan. That's what he needs to prove, and being a D-line coach does nothing for him.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I just don't see any way that LSU gives him a better chance at doing something meaningful in the next 2 years. With Dak coming back, we have a good shot to win the West next season having Alabama at home. We're missing some tenacity on the defensive side of the ball which seems to be something O can provide. I just don't understand why someone at this point would go to LSU when it's 50/50 at best Miles will be around more than a year or two anyway.

BeastMan
01-02-2015, 12:17 PM
It's more about LSU not having an opening for him. Everything pointing to Brick Haley staying. If LSU had a spot, he'd go there, just doesn't look like they will

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 12:18 PM
It's more about LSU not having an opening for him. Everything pointing to Brick Haley staying. If LSU had a spot, he'd go there, just doesn't look like they will

Yep. I also think Haley would have left by now

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I can understand why he would want to coach at LSU if it's his dream place to be at even if it is a less prestigious job than ours.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I just don't see any way that LSU gives him a better chance at doing something meaningful in the next 2 years. With Dak coming back, we have a good shot to win the West next season having Alabama at home. We're missing some tenacity on the defensive side of the ball which seems to be something O can provide. I just don't understand why someone at this point would go to LSU when it's 50/50 at best Miles will be around more than a year or two anyway.

$ure there are $ome rea$on$

Lsu will pay him more to be their dline coach than we will to be our DC

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 12:20 PM

So you think O would choose to be a D-line coach at LSU over D-coordinator at MSU?

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 12:21 PM
So you think O would choose to be a D-line coach at LSU over D-coordinator at MSU?

I think so

Irondawg
But from O's standpoint if he goes there and Les does leave he might feel he has a shot to become the head coach there

defiantdog
I can't see LSU offering Coach O the Defensive Coordinator position. LSU got Cam Cameron to be their offensive coordinator..... they won't go out and get an unproven defensive coordinator. If they don't get Pendergast, they'll get Bob Shoop from Penn State. (I don't see them offering Kevin Steele from Alabama a DC position either..... they want someone who's experienced at the position).

defiantdog
But from O's standpoint if he goes there and Les does leave he might feel he has a shot to become the head coach there

I don't think he's falling for that again..... USC 2.0

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I think so

Hmmm

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that would seem illogical for his career if he wants to be a head coach.

Saltydog
01-02-2015, 12:29 PM
coaches, meaning Haley could be left out in the cold unless Chavis bring him to A&M . I've always heard a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Hmmm

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that would seem illogical for his career if he wants to be a head coach.

Chance to coach in Louisiana is big for him I think JMO

BeastMan
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Yes. He has 1 son currently at LSU and twin sons that are HS seniors in Mandeville

BeastMan
01-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Just to be clear, I haven't heard anyone hint at O getting offered DC at LSU. We're talking only DL coach with possibly a rec coord or associate HC title add on.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes. He has 1 son currently at LSU and twin sons that are HS seniors in Mandeville

Then being a head coach isn't his number 1 priority.

I'm not disagreeing, but rather pointing out that this question is in play if indeed this thing hinges on Brick Haley.

That or we've only talked with O about being a d-line coach and not a d-coordinator.

None of know, so it's all hypothetical .

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 12:38 PM
coaches, meaning Haley could be left out in the cold unless Chavis bring him to A&M . I've always heard a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

That's not necessarily true. You only see complete overhauls when it's a new head coach as well. And there are several examples where there are hold overs in that example as well. Hughes is one on our staff that is untouchable because of his recruiting connections in state. You see that all the time. Unless the head coach wants to completely overhaul one side of the ball or the staff is more loyal to the coordinator, you usually see one or two coach changes at the most.

fishwater99
01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Hmmm

So you are saying coach O is logical?

A friend of mine say him in NOLA the weekend before Christmas and asked him if he was coming to MSU and O said he had something better in the works.
Nor sure what that is though..

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 01:32 PM
So you are saying coach O is logical?

A friend of mine say him in NOLA the weekend before Christmas and asked him if he was coming to MSU and O said he had something better in the works.
Nor sure what that is though..

Well, there's this dry walling job...

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Then being a head coach isn't his number 1 priority.

I'm not disagreeing, but rather pointing out that this question is in play if indeed this thing hinges on Brick Haley.

That or we've only talked with O about being a d-line coach and not a d-coordinator.

None of know, so it's all hypothetical .

He also probably knows that Pendergast will probably go to the NFL and he can possibly become LSU's DC that way. And yeah- he got burned by USC with that line of thinking.

But with him being from Louisiana and obviously Cajun, he probably grew up a LSU fan and that has to carry some weight with him. Like Butch becoming our pitching coach a week after he accepted the head coaching job at Elon wherever it was that hired him.

cheewgumm
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
2 of our last 3 DCs have become the DC at Texas and Florida.

If he takes the LSU DL job over ours, he's making a mistake.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 01:54 PM
2 of our last 3 DCs have become the DC at Texas and Florida.

If he takes the LSU DL job over ours, he's making a mistake.

Lsu's last 2 DCs...

Bo pelini took Nebraska job

Chavis to aTm with a nice raise I'm sure

Will muschamp before pelini

Wanna change your position?

fishwater99
01-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Lsu's last 2 DCs...

Bo pelini took Nebraska job

Chavis to aTm with a nice raise I'm sure

Will muschamp before pelini

Wanna change your position?

That makes no sense DL at LSU is not the same as the DC at LSU....

cheewgumm
01-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Is O gonna get LSUs DC job?

If so, I'll change my position. What have the last 3 LSU DL coaches done?

msstate7
01-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Is O gonna get LSUs DC job?

If so, I'll change my position. What have the last 3 LSU DL coaches done?

I'll change my position. Reading comprehension is a weakness of mine -- sorry

msstate7
01-02-2015, 04:05 PM
That makes no sense DL at LSU is not the same as the DC at LSU....

You're right. I'm an idiot