PDA

View Full Version : Coach O on the radio in BR this morning - his agent has been contacted by LSU

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Says he would be extremely interested in a DL opening at LSU and his agent has been contacted. He himself has not been contacted "yet."

Brick Haley coaches DL currently at LSU but he might follow Chief to A&M.

They also seem to be targeting Pendergrast, Venables and Kevin Steele as their top 3 for DC.

maroonmania
01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Doesn't sound like a guy not willing to take anything less than a DC position. Of course, what he says on radio might not be what he is saying behind the scenes.

shannondawg
01-02-2015, 09:48 AM
I doubt even him, would want to piss the entire state off, by saying he wasn't interested.

Msujd164
01-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Sounds like he's asking for a position at LSU. Maybe we will end up with Mr Air Guitar again. I would be disappointed.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Creating a bid war. We won't win if it comes to this

ScottH
01-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Do we have an updated O report from the pre bowl ones indicating he was the next DC?

Msujd164
01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Mullen shouldn't have been dragging his feet on this.

Auburn fires Johnson, and Muschamp is hired before their bowl and decked out in Auburn gear leading warm ups.

We have a lot to learn if we want to elevate this program. As much as we want to think so, people are not knocking down the door to work here.

Now we have LSU to compete against when this could have all been wrapped up 2 weeks ago.

Msujd164
01-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Yeah, didn't someone say

"A contract is already signed, wink wink"

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Seriously if we drug our feet on this to win the press coverage and now we end up losing our guy, a huge mistake by whoever orchestrated that.

Saltydog
01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
some commits are getting a little nervous and if we've got some that were waiving, this isn't good. Whomever we hire must hit the trail immediately. I'll feel much better when we have someone in place. Chavis leaving doesn't help us. We won't get someone we may have wanted if LSU wants them.

ScottH
01-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Yeah, didn't someone say

To be fair there was an 11th hour disclaimer written in also.

My gut tells me 11th hour is in play.

Msujd164
01-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I may take a crap today. Barring something happening in the 11th hour, and then I won't.

GreenheadDawg
01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I really don't understand why it's taking so long to announce if we really have hired.. I just have a feeling it will be some random guy from a directional school, if not why would you wait?

TrapGame
01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
This is turning into a fiasco or at least that's the way it looks. A&M and AU didn't dick around and neither will LSU. At this point we'll be lucky to get Diaz who's probably at the bottom of the list written in pencil.

ScottH
01-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Mullen firmly believes he is smarter than everyone else.

And that is an ongoing problem on and off the field.

deltadawg99
01-02-2015, 11:14 AM
The longer this drags on, the worse that I feel about it.

We need to get the right guy signed asap to hit the recruiting trail. Hopefully we've aleady interviewed some guys and weren't waitint for after the bowl game to start the interviewing process.

preachermatt83
01-02-2015, 11:16 AM
he is contradicting himself. he told nolo.com that he was not interested in a position with LSU at this time.

Coach34
01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah, didn't someone say

if he doesn't end up at State- I'll be happy to explain why I said what I said

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I suspect, just like it has been said many many times right before our bowl game the day before yesterday, that it will be announced next week. Nobody was throwing out the word fiasco or acting like the sky was falling if we announced next week two days ago so it shouldn't be a circle jerk this morning. And didn't I read somewhere that he had to wait to interview some other guys this weekend? Heck this is the time of year when most staff's, including ours, make changes. And UNC and A & M have been without guys longer than us and just got their guys yesterday.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 11:24 AM
If he ends up at LSU, it doesn't necessarily mean that we were "dicking around" to win the press conference. Remember when Arkansas hired Ellis Johnson as their DC and then he ended up leaving for South Carolina about a week later?

And I'm not saying it's common, just that it happens.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 11:27 AM
I suspect, just like it has been said many many times right before our bowl game the day before yesterday, that it will be announced next week. Nobody was throwing out the word fiasco or acting like the sky was falling if we announced next week two days ago so it shouldn't be a circle jerk this morning. And didn't I read somewhere that he had to wait to interview some other guys this weekend? Heck this is the time of year when most staff's, including ours, make changes. And UNC and A & M have been without guys longer than us and just got their guys yesterday.

I didn't see that specifically, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. The Orange Bowl could have been Deshea's "interview". I'd say that didn't go very well. It may also mean that we are looking to make some other changes on our current staff, although to be clear that is pure speculation on my part and not insider knowledge.

Dawg496
01-02-2015, 11:28 AM
if he doesn't end up at State- I'll be happy to explain why I said what I said

Is it your thought we still get him? Just asking - I have no inside information either way.

State82
01-02-2015, 11:33 AM
If he ends up at LSU, it doesn't necessarily mean that we were "dicking around" to win the press conference. Remember when Arkansas hired Ellis Johnson as their DC and then he ended up leaving for South Carolina about a week later?

Yeah, something like that would be the ultimate charlie foxtrot. I had forgotten about that fiasco.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 11:34 AM
I didn't see that specifically, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. The Orange Bowl could have been Deshea's "interview". I'd say that didn't go very well. It may also mean that we are looking to make some other changes on our current staff, although to be clear that is pure speculation on my part and not insider knowledge.

Yeah that's why I questioned that. Thought I read or maybe heard from someone during the game. And I do think it's quit possible that maybe it's not just DC he is looking at and the bowl game may have been a tryout. Anyway it will be next week I believe before the dead period ends.

Coach34
01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Is it your thought we still get him? Just asking - I have no inside information either way.

I haven't heard anything new in the last 5-6 days...all has been quiet

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Yeah, something like that would be the ultimate charlie foxtrot. I had forgotten about that fiasco.

Well, you have to think about this too- how would it look if we announce that Coach O is our DC. We're all ripping our shirts off and yaw, yaw, yaw... and THEN he goes to LSU as their DL coach a week later. To me THAT would be losing the press conference. Big time.

At least the way we're doing it now, if Orgeron is indeed the DC and he does indeed come here, no big deal. And if he has indeed signed a contract and does back out of it, no one really has to know and Dan can deny it in the press conference and say that we wanted Manny or whomever all along.

This is a guy that did coach under Lane Kiffin. If LSU is a dream job for him, like USC was for Kiffin, I'm sure he'll take it. But if Orgeron really wants to be a DC, we're probably his best option at this point. And if he does well with us, he probably could move on to LSU as a DC in a few years because Pendergast will probably go to the NFL or wherever as much as coordinators change schools. I'm not sure what he wants to do or would want to do.

TrapGame
01-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Well, you have to think about this too- how would it look if we announce that Coach O is our DC. We're all ripping our shirts off and yaw, yaw, yaw... and THEN he goes to LSU as their DL coach a week later. To me THAT would be losing the press conference. Big time.

At least the way we're doing it now, if Orgeron is indeed the DC and he does indeed come here, no big deal. And if he has indeed signed a contract and does back out of it, no one really has to know and Dan can deny it in the press conference and say that we wanted Manny or whomever all along.

This is a guy that did coach under Lane Kiffin. If LSU is a dream job for him, like USC was for Kiffin, I'm sure he'll take it. But if Orgeron really wants to be a DC, we're probably his best option at this point. And if he does well with us, he probably could move on to LSU as a DC in a few years because Pendergast will probably go to the NFL or wherever as much as coordinators change schools. I'm not sure what he wants to do or would want to do.

I'm afraid this will be the ultimate outcome. But, you're right that this will look better than O being our new DC for 72 hrs before he bolts to LSU.

State82
01-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Yeah, didn't someone say

Chief to A&M was totally off the wall and nobody would have seen that one coming. So, all bets were off when that deal went down.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Chief to A&M was totally off the wall and nobody would have seen that one coming. So, all bets were off when that deal went down.

I thought that speculation of A & M making a big push for him was known for a while? Him actually agreeing to leave was a bit of a surprise but the rumblings were out there for a little while.

VandelayIndustries
01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
If LSU wants him he's going there

Op4isabitch
01-02-2015, 12:50 PM
What's the story with Bill Clark at the moment?

Mullen doesn't need a proven DC, he can turn saw dust into diamonds.**